Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #31
WebmasterCorey
Still points with two fingers
aka OrlandoTiger

DISboards Administrator

I also want to remind everyone that we do extensive research before we bring any company on as an advertiser. I’m not saying you shouldn’t do your own research, but we stand behind our advertisers and hold them accountable when they do not meet our expectations.

We had initial contact with DVCrequest.com in December, and after a month of research and communication, I decided to bring them on.

If you find value in the service he offers, great. If you would rather rent points on your own, great. This is another tool you have. None of our advertisers should ever be threatened because they refuse to disclose their income.

Last edited by WebmasterCorey; 02-05-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:11 PM   #32
MODisFan
Mouseketeer

I can understand wanting to ask the question. There may have been a better/more tactful way to ask.

The problem with communicating through computers it that you miss out on the inflection/tone of a person's voice. How many times have we seen harmless statements posted on the boards get taken wrongly by someone else, all because they read it with a different "tone" in their mind?
College Program Summer '99; SSR May '05; VWL Jan '06; Vero Beach May '07; OKW May '07; BWV Sept '07; SSR Jan '08; BWV May '08; BWV Sept '08; SSR Jan '09; VWL May '09; BCV Sept '09; BWV Sept '10; AKV Oct '10; AKV Nov '10; POR Jan '11; BCV Sept '11; OKW Jan '12; OKW May '12;BWV Sept '12
Old 02-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #33
Madi100
DIS Veteran

You just worded your question wrong. If your main concern was if there were going to be any fees included in your dealings with him, then you should have asked him that. But, income is a personal matter. I don't have a clue how much any of my BEST friends' husbands make. i know it's more than mine because they get to do a whole lot more shopping than me. But, income is a sensitive subject. You crossed the line in how you worded your question.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:46 PM   #34
Captain Hook Jr
Live from Sweden

I think the response was completely appropriate. But the Question was certainly not. And threatening the business owner with putting it on the boards and actually DOING it was a pretty childish thing to do. If the customer wanted to find out how it works then they should have asked "How does this work" and NOT "How do you make your money". Its a personal question.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:44 PM   #35
Eveningsong
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Figment View Post
After listening to this week's podcast discussion I was super-excited to go online and check out the new sponsor- David's Vacation Club Rentals. My husband and I are planning a trip to the World on 2/20-2/24 and this seemed like a great way to try out a DVC and support a DIS sponsor. I checked the site out, as did my husband, and he had a few questions so he clicked on the live chat icon. This is the conversation that followed:

Give me a few minutes to connect and respond to your question.

Currently 1 users waiting for Live Help. [Refresh]
Would you like to continue waiting or leave an Offline Email ?

David: Thanks for initiating a chat with me. How can I assist you?
Jonathon: My wife was looking into DVC points for an upcoming vacation - just wondering how you make money as a reseller?
Jonathon: Sorry for asking - I'm an MBA
Jonathon: Smilie
David: I don't think that is a question I am going to answer through a help chat
Jonathon: Would you talk over the phone? I'd think a "how does this work?" type of question is pretty standard. I asked my wife why we would buy through you rather than elsewhere - she said to ask you.
David: I appreciate your curiosity about my business but I will keep that information to myself. If you are interested in how my rental process works, I invite you to review my easy rental process.
Easy Rental Process
http://www.dvcrequest.com/rental_process.htm
Jonathon: OK - we'll post this conversation on the dis message board. Best of luck.
David: Thank you.

We've decided not to do business with David's Vacation Club Rentals. I wanted other DISers to know about our experience- then you can decide.
I have used David's service, and he was very professional. The whole process from start to finish was very well handled and organized. I paid with paypal.

David went out of his way to ensure my family had a wonderful vacation at AKV.

I would rent points from David in a heartbeat.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #36
tekoa
DIS Veteran

OP thanks for the post about David's. I just checked out his website and it looks fantastic. I am going to use his service for my next trip. Again OP, thank you.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:56 PM   #37
Spaceace5150
Mouseketeer

There was nothing wrong with the question. And the OP did not ask him how much money he made. I think the question was fine. Would you ask a realtor how much commission they were making?
Old 02-05-2010, 08:56 PM   #38
dpuck1998
I'm innocent I tell you...innocent! I've been framed!

Worlds second largest Miami Dolphin fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceace5150 View Post
There was nothing wrong with the question. And the OP did not ask him how much money he made. I think the question was fine. Would you ask a realtor how much commission they were making?
Only if they are selling your house for you. If you are buying a house it isn't any of your business how much the seller is paying their realtor.

Jonathon: My wife was looking into DVC points for an upcoming vacation - just wondering how you make money as a reseller?

Sounds like "tell me how to do you business so I can copy it" Sorry, but I just don't see the connection to a realtor commission.

Aug03'Yacht Club Concierge;Feb04'OKW;Oct04'Poly;Jan05'SSR;Jan06'SoG;April06'BCV/RPR;Jan07'BCV;
March07'Cruis'en;Sept07'HRH/MNSSHP;Dec07'Xmas@BCV;June08'VWL;May09'AKV/Podcast Cruise;Dec09'BCV/AKV for Xmas
April10'POR
Old 02-06-2010, 09:45 AM   #39
JSwersey
Earning My Ears

I asked the right question in the wrong way

Thanks to those of you who provided thoughtful constructive responses. This is Jonathon, and I am Princess Figment's husband, the same Jonathon in the chat. I joined the boards specifically so I could respond to this thread.

This was a chat that went downhill very quickly - as many of you surmised, I was trying to get detailed and proprietary information on David's business. In conjunction with my business partner Zerg, our intention was to setup an offshore operation in Bangalore and crush him with our lower operating costs. When my plan was foiled, I of course thought the intelligent thing to do was to post it here. I only hope Zerg can forgive me - he has quite a temper.

So what's really going on here?

My wife is an angel. My birthday is coming up, and to celebrate, she wanted to take me to Disney, so at long last we could ride what turns out to be one of our favorite rides together - the People Mover (aka Tomorrowland Transit Authority) - no snide remarks - thanks for offering. For whatever reason, we both liked the ride as children.

After listening to a Dis podcast - my wife wanted to look into buying DVC points so we could stay at the Animal Kingdom Club level - where we wouldn't stay under normal circumstances. When I came home from work at 9:00 - tired, but glad to be home, she told me about it and it sounded too good to be true.

Before I spend $1000+ with a business, I like to understand who I am dealing with. So I got on line and asked the question in a bad way. What I wanted to know about was how the program worked? Are there any additional fees beyond the presumed spread in the cost of the points? Is this transaction even legal within the terms of the Disney contract - might we show up and have no place to stay? What happens if we show up and cant get into our room? What are our realistic risks here? Out of the last 100 trips hes brokered, how many people have been stuck (again what is the likelihood we will get stuck?) Probably several others as well.

I tried to back peddle and offer to talk to clarify what I was asking. I mentioned by degree not as a threat, but to offer clarity on my perspective. But it was too late. If I had asked he question correctly, maybe this doesn't happen. But David never tried to clarify either; he could have helped but he made a mistake too and yes, we were disappointed in the way it was handled.

I never threatened David - nor would I ever do that (Corey - I at least give you credit for not deleting this post). I shared the transcript - and figured people could read and judge for themselves.

If anyone is inclined to help, we are visiting WDW Feb 20 - 24 (4 nights) and would consider buying points from a reputable source if this is actually legitimate. Whether or not it is reasonable on our end, going with David is not an option given the history.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:50 AM   #40
JSwersey
Earning My Ears

I asked the right question in the wrong way

Sorry for the dupe.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:11 AM   #41
Derby4me
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpuck1998 View Post
Only if they are selling your house for you. If you are buying a house it isn't any of your business how much the seller is paying their realtor.

Sounds like "tell me how to do you business so I can copy it" Sorry, but I just don't see the connection to a realtor commission.
I disagree, I see the connection and feel it's a very good point. It's not like the OP was asking for a copy of his business plan.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:50 AM   #42
calypso*a*go-go

Captain of the Love "Board!"
Cost for a tag=1 "Mickey"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSwersey View Post
If anyone is inclined to help, we are visiting WDW Feb 20 - 24 (4 nights) and would consider buying points from a reputable source if this is actually legitimate. Whether or not it is reasonable on our end, going with David is not an option given the history.
Slightly O/T here...but having access to Club Level is what inspired many DVC members to buy AKV as their home resort in order to book 11 mos out, with travel dates so close I would be very surprised if anything was available in that category.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:35 PM   #43
Metsoskil
Citi Field, Rehoboth Beach, and WDW are my 3 favorite places.

Quote:

After listening to a Dis podcast - my wife wanted to look into buying DVC points so we could stay at the Animal Kingdom Club level - where we wouldn't stay under normal circumstances. When I came home from work at 9:00 - tired, but glad to be home, she told me about it and it sounded too good to be true.

As was already mentioned, you have no shot at getting AKV club level at this late date, but you can probably get a very good deal at SSR if you wanted to rent points. If you can find someone with points that expire at the end of the month, they may be willing to rent them on the cheap instead of losing them. Check the Rent/Trade board. It's not as simple or cut and dry as using David, but there are good deals to be found (albeit w/ greater risk). You would not have to find someone w/ SSR points - any points will do since you are well within the 7 month booking window.

If you really want AKL Club Level, you'll likely have to book through CRO and pay their rates. To have a shot at that w/ a DVC rental, you likely have to find someone w/ AKV points to rent from, and you likely have to do it more than 7 months from your check out date.

Good Luck with whatever you choose.

WDW: Jul '91, May '93, Dec '99, Aug '07, Aug '08, Aug '09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Aug '10, Mar '11, Aug '11, Dec '11, Aug '13, Nov/Dec '13
Disneyland Paris: Aug '12
DCL: Jul '12 Magic NYC Weekend Getaway, Dec '13 Dream 3-night Bahamas
Upcoming Trips: WDW Jul '14, DCL Alaska - Wonder Aug '15
Old 02-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #44
rn4val
A Dream is a Wish your Heart Makes

Rented from Dave about a year ago and had a wondfrful experiene. Plan to use him again on our next trip
Old 02-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #45
Bornteach

Quote:
This was a chat that went downhill very quickly - as many of you surmised, I was trying to get detailed and proprietary information on David's business. In conjunction with my business partner Zerg, our intention was to setup an offshore operation in Bangalore and crush him with our lower operating costs. When my plan was foiled, I of course thought the intelligent thing to do was to post it here. I only hope Zerg can forgive me - he has quite a temper.
Ok, now THAT was funny!

I would agree with what others have said about AKL, you may be able to get an AKL room but not club level.

As one who has rented her points on the rent/trade board several times, I can tell you it was easy but does come with a small risk.

Good luck. If you decide to buy DVC, it is worth every penny!

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: