Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #76
ongomom2
Earning My Ears

Did you guys have any promo codes for Amtrak? If so where can I find a promo code. We're going in June. DH wants to fly, but I think it's more economical to do Amtrak.
ongomom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:11 PM   #77
cheesekate2005
DIS Veteran

AAA has 10 % off I think...that's the only discount I could find for August.
cheesekate2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-11-2010, 06:02 PM   #78
lisa-upnorth
Disney Lover

Talking

any discounts will be found on Amtrak's website under deals. They do not have many BUT usually a deal on kids (1/2 price most of the time)
Old 06-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #79
lisa-upnorth
Disney Lover

Wink

just rode the rails to NYC this past weekend and now we can't wait to head to Disney again!! We love the train!
Old 06-07-2010, 04:07 PM   #80
terribm
DIS Veteran

I just talked DH into going with us so he will be joining us from Raliegh to Orlando via train. We just coach seats. I cannot stop worrying about his snoring!! He is a loud snorer and I am scared they will put us off somewhere in the middle of SC during the night
'02-Wilderness Lodge/'04-Pop Century
'05-All-Star Sports/FW Cabins
'06-SSR/'08-Disney Wonder/AllstarM/'09 CB
'08-Disney Wonder/All-Star Movies
'10-Pop Century
'11-Girls weekend-All Star Music Family suite

terribm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:34 PM   #81
lisa-upnorth
Disney Lover

Talking

Don't worry i have been in coach with snoring people before.That said-you can keep nudging him if he gets too loud !
Old 06-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #82
lookingforward
DIS Veteran

We did the auto train with a family room. It was really nice! The kids sat during the day facing each other by the window and there were two other seating areas that converted to bunks at night. The bathroom was in the hall but very clean and only for two other rooms. DIning was really nice, the steward offered to bring us meals if we wanted him to. The food...not so great. Think microwave food..airline food. But it was fun to sit in the dining car and talk to people. Be prepared if you with only one or two people to have a stranger seated at your table. They did that when it got crowded.

I have actually taken the amtrak train from Delray Beach, Florida (near my home) to Sanford. We book coach seats and then buy a room when we board. The price to upgrade for the four hours was only $125 and included one meal (the ride is almost 4 hours). We stretch out on the beds, read, relax, have lunch/dinner, and the room includes a private bathroom. Amtrak sells the rooms because they know whos getting on where and if we disembark in Sanford they can clean the room when we leave before the next reservation boards.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:06 PM   #83
jamstew
DIS Veteran

A couple of questions

I have a train trip later this week--my first since I was a little girl a very long time ago. I have a roomette, so I know the meals are included, but I was wondering if you can get meals served in the roomette or if you have go to the dining car. If you have to get the food from the dining car or grill, can you take it back to your room?

How do you find out if a train is on time? I'm traveling on the Texas Eagle, not one of the northeast corridor trains. I looked at amtrakdelays.com, but it doesn't cover my train

jamstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:37 AM   #84
lisa-upnorth
Disney Lover

Talking

glad to hear you are back riding the rails
You can take your meals 'to go' and bring them back to your roomette.For lunch one day we got the burgers to go and ate in our rooms. As for the delays-I believe I have the web address listed somewhere in this thread BUT if you checked that and your train wasn't listed I would just call the station you are leaving from and ask them about the train that day(and it would be wise to call them a little before and ask if it is usually running late or on time)

Have fun!
Old 07-27-2010, 02:05 PM   #85
lisa-upnorth
Disney Lover

Talking

Bumpin for Jenni!

****so jealous of all of you headin to WDW
We won't go til 2013!!BooHoo!!
Old 07-28-2010, 10:27 AM   #86
3princesses+aprince
DIS Veteran

Hi! I'm so glad I found this thread. We are thinking about taking the train to WDW in May! There are 5 of us, so airfare is getting expensive and half of us do not like to fly anyway. The whole experience of the train sounds really exciting to us.

I have a few questions:
Since there are 5 of us, me, dh and 3 kids, someone will be sitting "alone" We will be booking just the coach seats, wish I could afford the roomettes, but for all of us, no way, so i'm worried about the sleeping arrangements. Who will sleep "alone", should my dh, then maybe my 11 and 9 yr old together. Are the seats close enough to the seats right across that no one would ever bother the girls while they're sleeping? I worry a lot.

Also, are the seats right across from each other, or diagonally across like on a plane?

Also, because we have an odd number, can we buy an extra seat, so we do not have to sit/sleep near a stranger. I'm assuming that would be very uncomfortable..... for my dh, cause it will be him.

Does anyone have any pictures of the coach seats? I guess it would be the silver meteor and the other silver ?? I can't remember the name. We are coming from up north on the east coast.

Thanks so much! I wish my trip was closer!!!!!

Our very magical, very first trip to Disney World!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2182745

Come check out my Pre Trip Report, May 09
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2066680
3princesses+aprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:09 PM   #87
DanBoris
DIS Veteran

You can find a picture of the coach seating on the Silver Meteor on this site:

maps.thefullwiki.org/Silver_Meteor

The aisle between the sets of seats is very narrow, about the width of a single seat. I wouldn't be to concerned about having your kids sleep across the aisle

Hope you enjoy the train as much as we do. We have gone from Philly to both Orlando and Orlando on the train and love it!
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:48 PM   #88
3princesses+aprince
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBoris View Post
You can find a picture of the coach seating on the Silver Meteor on this site:

maps.thefullwiki.org/Silver_Meteor

The aisle between the sets of seats is very narrow, about the width of a single seat. I wouldn't be to concerned about having your kids sleep across the aisle

Hope you enjoy the train as much as we do. We have gone from Philly to both Orlando and Orlando on the train and love it!
Thanks for this info! I'll go check out that website too! I do think we would have a lot of fun traveling by train. My kids have actually never even been on one. Well, besides the one in the Magic Kingdom

Does anyone know if the seats are directly across or diagonally across?

And also if they would allow us to buy an extra unoccupied seat?

Thanks

Old 07-28-2010, 01:57 PM   #89
3princesses+aprince
DIS Veteran

Just looked at that website and it looks like the seats are right across from each other, so I won't have a problem seeing the kids the whole time and they look nice and close. Perfect. That was my only real worry. I think we'll be just fine.

It looks like there is no arm rest between the seats, am I right? That would be good, when my kids try to sleep on a plane they want to lean on me but the damn armrest is in the way. Looks like this will be more comfortable.

And I really hope we can purchase an extra seat, because I couldn't imagine trying to sleep next to a stranger that close

This whole 5th person thing wouldn't be a problem if my too cool-for-Disney- stepson was coming. We always have 6 when we travel, which makes everything perfect. I had no idea how traveling with an odd number could be so difficult.

Thanks for all of this advice.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:31 PM   #90
lisa-upnorth
Disney Lover

Talking

the seats are directly across-and not far apart so you could reach out and hand them things.I would NOT buy another seat -since they are not assigned seats. You sit where you want (at least we always have) so someone could chose to sit by him.That being said, I would HIGHLY doubt that would happen. Unless the train is full and not another seat to be found, they would sit somewhere else.I would put a backpack on the seat near him and no one would ask unless there were no other seats in any car.

My advice is to always try to be one of the first to get on the train at NYC and try to snag the seats at the front of a car that have 2 pairs facing each other (2 would ride backwards but lots of space and more 'private'.That would be your best bet-but you need to hurry to snag it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: