Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  


Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 08:47 PM   #61
chanken3
Earning My Ears
 
chanken3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 53

back from WDW

We just returned from a week at WDW!! It was an amazing week - our son got married on Wednesday just outside Magic Kingdom. Anyone see the pink and orange "What Wedding?" t-shirts at EPCOT on Thursday?

We took the auto train down on Friday 4/16. It was our first time and it was FUN. The train left on time and got to Sanford, FL about an hour early. By 9:30 Saturday morning we were off the train, van was detrained, and we were on the road heading for WDW. We decided to go coach and did not get much sleep but still I would do it again. Dinner was so-so, breakfast was good, movie was "The Blindside", and cash bar was visited a few times. The ride was very smooth, quiet, and scenic. We had booked several months ago and paid under $600 for one way, 4 adults and an over size van. The train ride cut out half of our drive down as we live in Maine. We drove all the way back since I was not sure how we would like the train.
__________________
1973 Magic Kingdom, 1977 Disneyland, 1988 Buena Vista Palace, 1993 Disney Village Resorts - Fairway Villas, 1996 Caribbean Beach Resort, 2000 Clarion Resort, 2002 Westgate Vacation Villas, 2005 Vacation Villas @ Fantasy World, 2005 Disney's Beach Club, 2007 PortOrleans Riverside, 2008 Calypso Cay, 2010 Westgate Vacation Villas, June/July 2011 Calypso Cay AND DISNEY'S BEACH CLUB
chanken3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:56 AM   #62
terribm
DIS Veteran
 
terribm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 638

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntrygal View Post
We love the train. We have done it twice, from albany NY to orlando, with a towncar pick up. Never got a room , we just sleep in the coach seats. And i maybe going west on the train all the way to montana in april, for that i may get a room.
This makes me feel better about my trip from NC. I have coach seats booked for me, DS-10, and DD-8. We are going in June and got a rountrip price from Raleigh to Kissimmee for $200. That is TOTAL for the 3 of us!! I could not buy gas one way for that. I have been a little worried about the kids being able to sleep in the coach seats but our trip will be relatively short compared to you northeners We board the train at 9pm and will basically just spend the night and wake in FL. Is there any way to request or be more likely to get the four seats facing each other?

T
__________________
'76-1st trip/'97-Honeymoon
'98-Caribbean Beach/'99 Disney Inst.
'98-Disney Magic/'99 Disney Wonder
'02-Wilderness Lodge/'04-Pop Century
'05-All-Star Sports/FW Cabins
'06-SSR/'08-Disney Wonder/AllstarM/'09 CB
'08-Disney Wonder/All-Star Movies
'10-Pop Century
'11-Girls weekend-All Star Music Family suite



terribm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-27-2010, 07:59 AM   #63
katybugsmom
DIS Veteran
 
katybugsmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,049

Our family is planning a vacation to Orlando the week before Christmas. We live at the top border in SC along I-95. In years past we have always driven1/2 way and spend the night because I have back issues and I can't sit for long periods. I saw a deal for Amtrak that ends in August,but it peaked my interest so I decided to check out the website. BOY WAS I SURPRISED!!!!! We can travel from Florence, SC(30 minutes from our house) to Orlando for $302.00 total round trip!!! We are a family of 4 and we are also AAA members. This price is for coach seats and the total trip will be 9 1/2 hours. Ican handle this because I can get up and move around!!!! I don't know if we will ever drive again!
Does anyone know how far the train station is from WDW and Universal? We would'nt want to rent a car if other means of transportation is available.
__________________
DH 49 Me! 48 DD 15 and DS 9
8 trips and counting!!!!!
katybugsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:28 AM   #64
lisa-upnorth
Disney Lover
 
lisa-upnorth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Adirondacks
Posts: 818

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by terribm View Post
This makes me feel better about my trip from NC. I have coach seats booked for me, DS-10, and DD-8. We are going in June and got a rountrip price from Raleigh to Kissimmee for $200. That is TOTAL for the 3 of us!! I could not buy gas one way for that. I have been a little worried about the kids being able to sleep in the coach seats but our trip will be relatively short compared to you northeners We board the train at 9pm and will basically just spend the night and wake in FL. Is there any way to request or be more likely to get the four seats facing each other?

T
I do not know of that being an option It is a grab it first kind of spot-that said If it were me I would try and get seat across the aisle rather than behind each other.Have a great trip!!
__________________
lisa-upnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:32 AM   #65
lisa-upnorth
Disney Lover
 
lisa-upnorth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Adirondacks
Posts: 818

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanken3 View Post
We just returned from a week at WDW!! It was an amazing week - our son got married on Wednesday just outside Magic Kingdom. Anyone see the pink and orange "What Wedding?" t-shirts at EPCOT on Thursday?

We took the auto train down on Friday 4/16. It was our first time and it was FUN. The train left on time and got to Sanford, FL about an hour early. By 9:30 Saturday morning we were off the train, van was detrained, and we were on the road heading for WDW. We decided to go coach and did not get much sleep but still I would do it again. Dinner was so-so, breakfast was good, movie was "The Blindside", and cash bar was visited a few times. The ride was very smooth, quiet, and scenic. We had booked several months ago and paid under $600 for one way, 4 adults and an over size van. The train ride cut out half of our drive down as we live in Maine. We drove all the way back since I was not sure how we would like the train.
You have inspired me to try the autotrain we also travel from up north-near Rutland Vermont-and the thought of driving all the way is not a thought I like at all!!!BUT, I might just try the drive to VA
__________________
lisa-upnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:35 AM   #66
lisa-upnorth
Disney Lover
 
lisa-upnorth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Adirondacks
Posts: 818

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by katybugsmom View Post
Our family is planning a vacation to Orlando the week before Christmas. We live at the top border in SC along I-95. In years past we have always driven1/2 way and spend the night because I have back issues and I can't sit for long periods. I saw a deal for Amtrak that ends in August,but it peaked my interest so I decided to check out the website. BOY WAS I SURPRISED!!!!! We can travel from Florence, SC(30 minutes from our house) to Orlando for $302.00 total round trip!!! We are a family of 4 and we are also AAA members. This price is for coach seats and the total trip will be 9 1/2 hours. Ican handle this because I can get up and move around!!!! I don't know if we will ever drive again!
Does anyone know how far the train station is from WDW and Universal? We would'nt want to rent a car if other means of transportation is available.
The trip takes about 30 minutes tops BUT I would advise a car rental.We had always done Mears or taxis but were spending more than the price of a rental car for the week It was about $100 for the Mears town car for 4 people(and that was a few years ago!) Spent about $15 for taxis to and from parks.I would look around this board at the rental deals-for the week you could have a car-and believe me that is a good thing
__________________
lisa-upnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #67
lisa-upnorth
Disney Lover
 
lisa-upnorth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Adirondacks
Posts: 818

Talking

As I posted at the start of this thread I paid $295 for 12 days using a code I found on here for my rental from the train station
__________________
lisa-upnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:49 AM   #68
chanken3
Earning My Ears
 
chanken3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 53

Lisa - I hope you do try the auto train. Definitely better than the long drive for us "northerners". We drove all the way home last weekend and I wished we were on the train. We only tried it one way this time in case we hated it. My husband is well over 6' tall and he had a hard time getting comfortable enough in coach to sleep, but that was the ONLY down side. I was surprised at how quiet and relaxing the ride was.
__________________
1973 Magic Kingdom, 1977 Disneyland, 1988 Buena Vista Palace, 1993 Disney Village Resorts - Fairway Villas, 1996 Caribbean Beach Resort, 2000 Clarion Resort, 2002 Westgate Vacation Villas, 2005 Vacation Villas @ Fantasy World, 2005 Disney's Beach Club, 2007 PortOrleans Riverside, 2008 Calypso Cay, 2010 Westgate Vacation Villas, June/July 2011 Calypso Cay AND DISNEY'S BEACH CLUB
chanken3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:29 PM   #69
lisa-upnorth
Disney Lover
 
lisa-upnorth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Adirondacks
Posts: 818

Talking

Terri and katybugsmom-great prices
I always choose the train and am happy to see when others get a good deal on the tickets! The rooms are where they kill you on price!!If you have older kids, I would advice trying the coach seats, at least once, to see if you can do it.For us it is 24hrs on a train and we have a 5 year old so we get the roomettes, but if I had kids over 10 I would try the seats.You will be a little tired-- but not nearly as tired as you would have been had you drove down!!!
Let's go ridin' the rails!!!!!!!
__________________
lisa-upnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:16 AM   #70
katybugsmom
DIS Veteran
 
katybugsmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,049

Does anyone know the website where I can see previous arrival/departure times for the station we are leaving from? I saw it somewhere, but I can't locate it now. Our train pulls out at 3:28 AM and I want to get there early, but not too early with sleepy kids!
Thanks!
__________________
DH 49 Me! 48 DD 15 and DS 9
8 trips and counting!!!!!
katybugsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:24 AM   #71
lisa-upnorth
Disney Lover
 
lisa-upnorth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Adirondacks
Posts: 818

Talking

http://www.amtrakdelays.com/
__________________
lisa-upnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:48 PM   #72
MommyTaraLee
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 167

Thanks for all of the great information!

We were looking into pricing for either flying or driving in October, when I decided to look into Amtrak... turns out, through all of my previous work travel on Amtrak, I had almost enough reward points to book a bedroom for DH, DD & I round trip. I was able to purchase the points I needed to make up the difference for $230! : So... long story short... for $230, we will be taking Amtrak round trip between Philly & Orlando, with a bedroom!!!

All of this info has made some of my worries about the trip disappear!
__________________
TaraLee, DH - Tim, DD(8) , DS (1)

No trip scheduled for now... Hoping to convince DH that a Girls Trip to WDW is in order for DD's 10th Birthday and that Disneyland is a good way to celebrate my 40th birthday in 4 years!

Last edited by MommyTaraLee; 04-29-2010 at 12:55 PM.
MommyTaraLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:09 AM   #73
lisa-upnorth
Disney Lover
 
lisa-upnorth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Adirondacks
Posts: 818

Talking

Mommy-I am jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great job! you will LOVE it!!!!!Take pics and let us know how it went!
__________________
lisa-upnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:08 PM   #74
lisa-upnorth
Disney Lover
 
lisa-upnorth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Adirondacks
Posts: 818

Talking

bump for the field trippers
__________________
lisa-upnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:10 PM   #75
lisa-upnorth
Disney Lover
 
lisa-upnorth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Adirondacks
Posts: 818

Talking

you can rent a car thru Hertz which is located right in the train station.
__________________
lisa-upnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.



You Rated this Thread: