Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #721
nicole83
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGlowing

They should still be getting you to your original destination by bus. Call Amtrak and they'll tell you what you need to know.

When i was shopping for my Miami trip a few weeks ago, I could book all the way through to Miami, but the schedule said I'd be on a bus from JAX-MIA. No thanks (especially if it includes the TPA leg instead of going straight down I95, yikes).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using DISBoards
It seemed like all the buses were booked but everything is all set now, I just let myself get too anxious instead of relaxing, I have a habit of overreacting THEN checking my options :/ but they had seats open on a bus today so I grabbed them
Old 02-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #722
js
Good things come to those who wait
Joyful Mommy, WISHer, cruiser
Wants to see Tinkerbell fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole83 View Post
Oh no I don't blame amtrak, all their thruway buses were sold out but I checked the website today and there were two seats open on a thruway bus to Kissimmee so I called amtrak and grabbed them! Woohoo
Nicole, SO happy you got the seats but I think I either worded or you misinterpreted my post. What I meant is that this IS Amtrak's fault and they should get you to your original destination, either by train or bus.
I cetainly would have blamed Amtrak and would make sure they either compensate me for a taxi or get me on a bus if the tracks were out of service.

Glad you got your seats!!
js is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #723
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Quote:
Originally Posted by js

Nicole, SO happy you got the seats but I think I either worded or you misinterpreted my post. What I meant is that this IS Amtrak's fault and they should get you to your original destination, either by train or bus.
I cetainly would have blamed Amtrak and would make sure they either compensate me for a taxi or get me on a bus if the tracks were out of service.

I know I'd be upset but Amtrak doesn't own the rails, so if you booked way early and CSX or whoever is repairing rails decides to close a section.... Amtrak is not at fault.... interesting scenario, we've had it happen mid trip due to heavy rain and it took Amtrak a day to come up with motor coaches to get us around the problem to continue to our destination.... Not fun, I'm not a cramped motor coach person seeing I booked a train trip and not a bus trip....

Good luck with your trip and do report back when it's over!

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #724
nicole83
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by js View Post

Yeah, you're right they should of made sure to have enough buses for everyone on that train, it's such an inconvenience especially since Jacksonville is TWO+ hours away. The first woman I spoke to was pretty rude too, I asked if this track work was subject to change and she said "well yeah everything is subject to change" with a smirk in her voice. Jeez ~! The woman I called today who got me on the bus was VERY nice. My brain has just been mush since they called me, even though I have 30 days to go I was going crazy trying to figure out how I was going to get to my hotel and I shouldn't of even had to worry about that, they should have!
Old 02-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #725
PlutoGirl1117
DIS Veteran

It's still a long, long, long time away, but just booked our train tickets down for next January!
Old 02-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #726
LisaNJ25
DIS Veteran
I paid $300 back in 1992. I had the big Jersey girl hair and all

Angry

Anyone have luck upgrading to a room while on the train for less? I am doing the regular amtrak next month.

o 2001 - Port Orleans Riverside
o 2001 - Disneyland
o 2002 - Caribbean Beach/Wilderness Lodge
o 2007 - Port Orleans Riverside
o 2008 - Pop Century
o 2010 - Port Orleans Riverside
o 2012 - Windsor Hills
o 2013 - Pop Century
LisaNJ25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #727
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaNJ25
Anyone have luck upgrading to a room while on the train for less? I am doing the regular amtrak next month.
We do it most of the time.... Second leg of trip going down, DC to Kissimmee and sometimes coming home Kissimmee to DC.... After train starts rolling, may take a few stops and conductor gets his papers right... We ask, usually 50% or better than pre-booking but sometimes there's nothing left..ya just take a chance! We won't pre book a roomette.... Too expensive and I can sleep in coach for one night!

DIS Dads Club Member
Old 02-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #728
lisa-upnorth
Disney Lover

less than 12 weeks til my next trip to see the mouse

You can be sure I will post loads of lovely train pics! It takes us over 28hrs of travel but we enjoy the train!!
Old 02-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #729
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa-upnorth

You can be sure I will post loads of lovely train pics! It takes us over 28hrs of travel but we enjoy the train!!
We're looking for around the 18th of May for a visit..... Sorry to say, our last 3 visits to WDW have been via the car.....

The layover in DC really pushes my buttons,6-8 hours in station makes our train trip 36 hours but not all on the train.....

We can drive in 18 hours, arrive early in the am to get a whole day in on arrival day, 1/2 price over the train.... But still enjoy train travel...

Enjoy your trip...!

DIS Dads Club Member
Old 02-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #730
js
Good things come to those who wait
Joyful Mommy, WISHer, cruiser
Wants to see Tinkerbell fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa-upnorth View Post

Enjoy! I'm less than 12 weeks too!
I'll be on the train from Newark, NJ to Orlando on March 21 in a roomette all by myself and I sooo look forward to the alone time I'll be meeting my ds and dh and my ds's baseball team for Disney's Spring Training.
I'll be taking the plane back but look forward to my own little train time
js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:25 PM   #731
lisa-upnorth
Disney Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by js View Post
Enjoy! I'm less than 12 weeks too!
I'll be on the train from Newark, NJ to Orlando on March 21 in a roomette all by myself and I sooo look forward to the alone time I'll be meeting my ds and dh and my ds's baseball team for Disney's Spring Training.
I'll be taking the plane back but look forward to my own little train time
I will also be on the train on May 21st!!Leave Albany NY at the crack, then leave Penn around 11ish.I will have to see the route-maybe we will be picking you up on the way by!
Old 02-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #732
lisa-upnorth
Disney Lover

I do believe we will be on the same train
what a small world here on the dis! we are in a family bedroom! I will try to email you the week before and get your name so I can say hi!
Old 02-26-2013, 05:33 AM   #733
NJRRK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I do believe we will be on the same train
what a small world here on the dis! we are in a family bedroom! I will try to email you the week before and get your name so I can say hi!
There are no family bedrooms on the Newark to Florida route. The cars that have family bedrooms are too big for the Hudson River tunnel.

Unless things have changed in the last 3 months.

4/76 - offsite, 4/77 - CR, 4/78 - CR, 4/79 - FW Trailer, 5/80 - CR, 5/82 - Disney Inn, 12/82 - FW Trailer, 5/83 - DL California, 12/83 - CR, 9/84 - CR, 1/85 - CR, 3/88 - Disney Village suites (later Disney Institute, where SSR is now), 8/96 - DxL (POR), 8/07 - CR, 10/08 - CR Atrium
NJRRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #734
lisa-upnorth
Disney Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRRK View Post
There are no family bedrooms on the Newark to Florida route. The cars that have family bedrooms are too big for the Hudson River tunnel.

Unless things have changed in the last 3 months.
not sure but I will be on the silver star from Penn to Orlando,and I will be in a bedroom.It looked like this train stopped in Newark but maybe not.When I ran a search on amtrak it showed bedrooms from newark to Orlando
Old 02-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #735
NJRRK
DIS Veteran

Quote:

not sure but I will be on the silver star from Penn to Orlando,and I will be in a bedroom.It looked like this train stopped in Newark but maybe not.When I ran a search on amtrak it showed bedrooms from newark to Orlando
A regular bedroom, yes. But the family bedrooms are just on "Superliner" trains. They don't operate into NY, DC or Boston.

Yes that train stops in Newark.

4/76 - offsite, 4/77 - CR, 4/78 - CR, 4/79 - FW Trailer, 5/80 - CR, 5/82 - Disney Inn, 12/82 - FW Trailer, 5/83 - DL California, 12/83 - CR, 9/84 - CR, 1/85 - CR, 3/88 - Disney Village suites (later Disney Institute, where SSR is now), 8/96 - DxL (POR), 8/07 - CR, 10/08 - CR Atrium
NJRRK is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: