Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #496
FBandA
How do I get to go back again?

Wondering want to expect, this is our first time taking the train to Orlando, I just was checking our train and it is sold out and there is a service alert. Saying that tracks are being worked on by CSX. Train 92 will depart Miami approximately 5 hours earlier. I am on 97 how will that effect me. Called but was not able to get a clear answer. We leave the 4th of april out of Wilmington, DE. Thanks
Old 04-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #497
LuvEeyore
DIS Veteran

Bump.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #498
LuvEeyore
DIS Veteran

Bump...great thread!!
Old 05-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #499
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Great regular Amtrak info

Bumping back up to continue.....

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #500
lisa-upnorth
Disney Lover

Talking

thanks for the bumps guys

I am EAGERLY awaiting June so I can book my train to Disney for next year!!! I will be heading down in style with a family bedroom FREE with my points I will take lots of pics for all of my Dis friends! I also hope to find a few spare minutes to post amazing pics from my train trip to DC-that Union Station is STUNNING!!!!!!!!
Old 05-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #501
tstidm1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa-upnorth View Post
thanks for the bumps guys

I am EAGERLY awaiting June so I can book my train to Disney for next year!!! I will be heading down in style with a family bedroom FREE with my points I will take lots of pics for all of my Dis friends! I also hope to find a few spare minutes to post amazing pics from my train trip to DC-that Union Station is STUNNING!!!!!!!!
I go through Union Station every month and that place is the best on the entire line. It's so much better than Penn Station New York or Union Station LA. It is a great place to layover on Amtrak. Bedrooms and Roomettes are always great free. I'm taking Roomette with mom on the way back in July. They also have a very nice Acela Club in Union Station DC.
June 2011 Off Site
July 2012 Pop Century
March 2013 All Star Sports
July 2014 Dis Exclusive ABD Backstage Magic

Maybe March 2015 trip to Universal Orlando (Going to the Dark Side maybe).

Last edited by tstidm1; 05-12-2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention the Acela Club in there.
tstidm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #502
AmyC2010
Earning My Ears

Smile Saratoga Springs NY taking the train in Dec.

We live in Saratoga Springs NY and are taking the train in December to Disney. It is myself and my two girls ages 8 & 9. I was debating on getting a roomette car. Love to hear the report anymore tips would be great. I am really nervous about the layover in NYP station. Its just me and my girls dad is flying down later.
Thank You
Amy
AmyC2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #503
tstidm1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyC2010 View Post
We live in Saratoga Springs NY and are taking the train in December to Disney. It is myself and my two girls ages 8 & 9. I was debating on getting a roomette car. Love to hear the report anymore tips would be great. I am really nervous about the layover in NYP station. Its just me and my girls dad is flying down later.
Thank You
Amy
I've been in New York Penn Station. It's a safe station (literally underneath Madison Square Garden) with about two dozen food options, a couple of banks and a few shops. Amtrak Police protect that station well because it's one of their main stations. It's also a crowded station. I would feel safer in New York Penn than in my hometown station (Aberdeen, MD) at night. With a roomette, you get access to a pretty nice Club Acela in there. Club Acela has snacks, comfy seats and Wi-Fi (for the techie types). You also get priority boarding because your in a roomette.
June 2011 Off Site
July 2012 Pop Century
March 2013 All Star Sports
July 2014 Dis Exclusive ABD Backstage Magic

Maybe March 2015 trip to Universal Orlando (Going to the Dark Side maybe).
tstidm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #504
lisa-upnorth
Disney Lover

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyC2010 View Post
Thank You
Amy
Amy-worry not!! It is fine! If you want we could meet for lunch this summer in Glens Falls and plan I LOVE talking Disney!
Old 05-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #505
lisa-upnorth
Disney Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstidm1 View Post
I've been in New York Penn Station. It's a safe station (literally underneath Madison Square Garden) with about two dozen food options, a couple of banks and a few shops. Amtrak Police protect that station well because it's one of their main stations. It's also a crowded station. I would feel safer in New York Penn than in my hometown station (Aberdeen, MD) at night. With a roomette, you get access to a pretty nice Club Acela in there. Club Acela has snacks, comfy seats and Wi-Fi (for the techie types). You also get priority boarding because your in a roomette.
PS-you won't all fit in a roomette but we can talk about a plan! do you have the amtrak card for points? credit card? let's talk and see if we can save you moolah!!
Old 05-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #506
Mrs.viv07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
PS-you won't all fit in a roomette but we can talk about a plan! do you have the amtrak card for points? credit card? let's talk and see if we can save you moolah!!
i'm wondering if you can help me. i'm looking to book 2 roometes for our family of 4 ds1 is 11 and ds2 is 2. he still breastfeeds and we bedshare , i was wondering if he would fit comfortably in the lower bunk with me?
is there a better option, a rep told me to get a bedroom that hubby baby and i would fit in the lower bunk and ds1 could go up top. seems a tight fit to me though...should we just go with 2 roometes?

Viv DH DS DS DD

7 angels watching over us; including our daughter Kiara born sleeping jan 4, 2013

read our blog :http://vivnmichaelsworld.blogspot.com/

Before you leave an angry comment, read my entry at least twice to make sure you understand what I am saying, or accusing me will just make you sound really stupid. If reading it twice is too tedious for your brain, well what can i say. =)

follow my pre-trip report as i go crazy over planning for sept 2012:http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post45093687

read about our Jan 2007 trip here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1553770
Mrs.viv07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #507
TandyR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.viv07 View Post
i'm wondering if you can help me. i'm looking to book 2 roometes for our family of 4 ds1 is 11 and ds2 is 2. he still breastfeeds and we bedshare , i was wondering if he would fit comfortably in the lower bunk with me?
is there a better option, a rep told me to get a bedroom that hubby baby and i would fit in the lower bunk and ds1 could go up top. seems a tight fit to me though...should we just go with 2 roometes?
When younger DD was 3 and still breastfeeding and bedsharing parttime we went with a bedroom rather then two roomettes. At the start of the night both DDs slept on top...older one was 7 at the time. Then when it was time to nurse she asked to come down and join DH and me on the lower bunk for the rest of the night. It worked fine for us. I don't think I could have done the same in a lower bunk on a roomette. Now that my girls are older (12 and turning 16 during our next trip) we always get two roomettes, but that first trip while she was still breastfeeding and bedsharing the bedroom was the way to go.
4/1982 Fort Wilderness, 3/14 - 3/17/2001 Holiday Inn Family Suites, 3/17/ -3/21/2001, Wilderness Lodge, Became DVC Members June 2001, 4/12 - 4/20/2002 Villas @ Wilderness Lodge, 2/10 - 2/21/2004 Villas @ Wilderness Lodge, 5/13 - 5/16/2005 Coronado Springs Resort for the Danskin Triathlon, 4/14/2006 - 4/21/2006 Villas @ Wilderness Lodge, 4/17/2008 - 4/25/2008 Beach Club Villas, 11/1 - 11/08/2008 Hilton Downtown Disney (I won a raffle for this trip. ), 11/23 - 12/3/2010 Villas @ Wilderness Lodge, 06/29/2012-07/06/2012 Bay Lake Tower, 06/27/2014-07/05/2014 Bay Lake Tower
TandyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #508
lisa-upnorth
Disney Lover

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.viv07 View Post
Hi! Glad to hear you want to ride he rails
The measurements for a roomette are
Lower Berth
2'4" x 6'6"

Upper Berth
2'4" x 6'2"

I would advise the family room.The space will be better for you,all in one room,the price would probably work out close to the same as for the 2 roomettes.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #509
Mrs.viv07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi! Glad to hear you want to ride he rails
The measurements for a roomette are
Lower Berth
2'4" x 6'6"

Upper Berth
2'4" x 6'2"

I would advise the family room.The space will be better for you,all in one room,the price would probably work out close to the same as for the 2 roomettes.
wohoo, just booked our train, thanks so much for your help and advice. we booked the family bedroom boths ways and paid about $1400. i joined AAA today (been meaning to for a while actually) and i found a code (NY only) that waives the $10 enrollment and i can add hubby for $12 instead of $25 so i saved $$ that way as well.

Viv DH DS DS DD

7 angels watching over us; including our daughter Kiara born sleeping jan 4, 2013

read our blog :http://vivnmichaelsworld.blogspot.com/

Before you leave an angry comment, read my entry at least twice to make sure you understand what I am saying, or accusing me will just make you sound really stupid. If reading it twice is too tedious for your brain, well what can i say. =)

follow my pre-trip report as i go crazy over planning for sept 2012:http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post45093687

read about our Jan 2007 trip here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1553770
Mrs.viv07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #510
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by torinsmom View Post
I would also suggest a pillow and blanket for each person. It can get cold on the train and they rent/sell really nasty ones. I would also suggest earphones and a sleeping mask if noise or light bothers you. Someone was letting their child play with one of those Bop-It things at 11pm, and the attendant wouldn't say anything to the parent.
Do they have blankets and pillows in the sleeper cars? We are going down from NYC to Orlando in July and have a roomette booked.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: