Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2010, 12:47 PM   #16
pooh2001
been there, done that, TRYING to go back

sleeper bunks ?

So cool - we have always flown, but I think we can get AMtrack out of Poughkeepsie - but I did not see the sleeper train out of Penn. How do you reserve sleeper bunks ?
Old 02-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #17
raydawn
yo ho yo ho a pirates life for me

amtrack help needed

my family of 5 will be taking the train to orl from nyp in coach seats. do you have any suggestions on what to bring ? and will i be able to get into the dinng car because the train is sold out. thanks for any help.

raydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #18
lisa-upnorth
Disney Lover

Talking

Leaving Boston would be the same trains to WDW as we take-the silver star and the Silver Meteor. I have the route guides from the train.If I had to guess the number of stops I would say maybe 25 BUT most are only to pick up waiting guests and take about 4 minutes tops! In a trip I usually only notice we are stopped a few times-it is just very brief and a lot are at night.That said, some of the stops are about 15min or so and they announce that as they are getting close, telling you in case you wanted to get off and smoke(yuck!) or just to get some fresh air! I have jumped off a few times for a few minutes just to enjoy the feeling of the air warming!As I said up in northern new england often when we go it is snow here and 80 there so the trip down just gets warmer and warmer with each state. The train switch in NYC is also a longer stop but fun to see Penn Station and the wait isn't long.

As for plugging in laptops, I am not sure about access but I have seen people on them.There are plugs in the roomettes.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #19
lisa-upnorth
Disney Lover

Talking

raydawn-I see 3 kiddies in your picture and assume they will be traveling with you and hubby.I am not gonna lie to you-it will be a long night for the adults Sleeping on the train in coach seats isn't the easiest thing with 3 kids BUT it can be done.It is hard to get them to sleep in a room surrounded by strangers.At least you are not heading down for a disney vacation-because then the lack of sleep hits hard the next day in a park
You should try and head to the dining car the second it starts serving!!If the train is sold out and crowded the early bird will get the worm!PS-it is not that cheap so be prepared.Burgers are large and you could split one.
Based on your kids ages I would bring-lap blankets,ipods,hand held video games if they like them- I am not a fan but many are ,game the kids like to play like cards or Uno, snacks and juice boxes,small pillows(if you can), Sweatshirts(wear tees underneath and take of layers as you get hot),books and magazines.
Hope you have a great trip!
Old 02-02-2010, 01:07 PM   #20
lisa-upnorth
Disney Lover

Talking

Pooh-you would head to Penn like me and get on train 91 to WDW.When you go online you enter the dates and train route, then after you select your train there is a place to add the roomette.It is not cheap! I will be honest, it is expensive BUT it is the only way to go for me so it is not about going the cheapest way.
We had 3 adults and 1 child. The total trip from Albany NY to Orlando and back-with 2 roomettes EACH WAY- came to $2402. That includes all meals for the 4 of us.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:38 PM   #21
lisa-upnorth
Disney Lover

Talking more pics for you all!

Row houses

Big city!

sports arena-do you know it??

power plant-this place was BIG

"I see the Washington Monument!"

Breakfast is served
Old 02-02-2010, 08:59 PM   #22
Loritlc3
Mouseketeer

Okay I think you are the perfect person to answer some questions for me. We would be taking the train from Pittsburgh to Disney. I have heard that Kissemee is the best station?

We were looking at the price difference and really can't decide whether we will need roomettes. It is me and my 2 children(7 and 9). My friend has 3 children so there are 4 of them. Do you know if they would let me and my 2 kids in one roomette? After the beds fold down is there anywhere to sit for a third person?

And as for meal prices. How much approximately is the food? And for your included meals do you get 1 breakfast, one lunch and one dinner?

I was also wondering. How many places are there in the train to walk around to? Are you pretty much restricted to your seat?

Thanks so much
Lori
Loritlc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:00 PM   #23
NJGirl
DIS Veteran

That arena (if that picture was taken in NJ) is the new soccer stadium. It kinda looks like the nest from the Beijing olympics.

Lisa, thanks for the report. I'll be taking a sleeper this time around. Last time I went coach. Thanks for the pictures! I didn't mind taking Amtrak to FL as I really HATE to fly.
NJGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:21 AM   #24
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

If you book a roomette can you still sit in regular seats too?

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
loveysbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #25
persimmondeb
Mouseketeer

I'm pretty sure that they will not let you stay in a roomette with two children (maybe if one was an infant) and there really is no place for the third person except to sit on a bed (or the potty lid)-and the beds are really too narrow even for two small people to share. They do have family rooms, although they are more expensive.

You may not be able to hang out in coach if the train is booked, but you can sit in the club/observation car.
persimmondeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:05 PM   #26
DC7800
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveysbydesign View Post
If you book a roomette can you still sit in regular seats too?
No, but the Roomette by day has two facing seats; The seats fold flat at night to make the lower bunk. You can always sit in the lounge car, of course.

Quote:
there really is no place for the third person except to sit on a bed (or the potty lid)
Roomettes in Superliner passenger cars, such as used on Auto-Train, do not have restroom facilities within the compartment. There is a (tiny) restroom on the upper level near the stairs, and larger restrooms (and shower) downstairs. Roomettes in Viewliner sleepers, such as found on the other Florida trains, do have an unshielded toilet in the room.

When considering how many people you want in a room, you have to realize just how small that roomette is (best description I ever heard was 'a room the size of a twin bed'). For four persons the Family Bedroom is clearly the way to go. With yourself and two small children you could probably live with a deluxe bedroom.
DC7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:35 PM   #27
lisa-upnorth
Disney Lover

Talking

Lori-lots of good questions!
The answer on the 3 of you in a roomette would be no.As previous poster mentioned there is no room.Once beds are folded down you only have the beds (and the crapper cover!) to sit on.Even if you wanted to try the reservation will not let you.For your group you would need 4 roomettes EACH WAY.Book early!As I posted we paid a TOTAL $2402.00 for 3 adults and 1 child with 2 roomettes each way.

For the food,yes 3 meals can be eaten a day BUT you may not hit the timing that way.For us,we had lunch and dinner on the way down and breakfast and lunch and I think we made dinner too.All depends on your times for boarding.Obviously if you board at about 3:30 you have missed breakfast and lunch for that day.The menu can be seen on their site.I just looked and breakfast and lunch range from $6-$9, dinner $12-$22.

Kiss. is a great(and less crowded stop) on the train route IF you are not renting a car.The Hertz rental desk is at the Orlando train station so plan according to your needs.I got a great rate from them and had no problems.Was in and out in about 10 minutes!

As for walking around, there are lounge cars and such but we rarely leave our room car other than to head to the dining car.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #28
Loritlc3
Mouseketeer

Thank you for all the wondeful answers. I guess a roomette will be out of the question for us. I can't picture leaving a 9 and 7 year old alone in a bedroom while I am elsewhere. Unfortunately the train rout I was looking at only offered roomettes and bedrooms which also said they are for 2 adults. No family rooms were listed as available. My friend will be a party of 4 so she would need two roomettes if she decided to get them but that cost will be well over the cost for Disney!
We will not be renting a car. Most likely just needing a taxi to get us to Disney

Thanks again
Lori
Loritlc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #29
lisa-upnorth
Disney Lover

Talking costs

Total cost for transport for 4 by amtrak(with roomettes)=$2402.00
Total cost of 12 days at Disney hotel(Carr Beach),10 day passes to parks X's 4 people=$2566.33

Craziness!But what can I do if we don't fly
The trip was PRICELESS and worth every penny.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:30 PM   #30
DC7800
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loritlc3 View Post
Thank you for all the wondeful answers. I guess a roomette will be out of the question for us. I can't picture leaving a 9 and 7 year old alone in a bedroom while I am elsewhere. Unfortunately the train rout I was looking at only offered roomettes and bedrooms which also said they are for 2 adults. No family rooms were listed as available. My friend will be a party of 4 so she would need two roomettes if she decided to get them but that cost will be well over the cost for Disney
A bedroom will accommodate one adult and two small children. Family bedrooms are only found on Superliner equipped trains (including Auto-Train); To book four persons into a Viewliner sleeper on the other Florida trains, you would need either two Roomettes (each accommodating two people) or a bedroom suite (very, very, very expensive, but also the roomiest accommodations on the train).
DC7800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: