Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2010, 06:39 PM   #76
Dugette
DIS Veteran

Day 4 - Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - Four Parks in One Day: MK and Snack

Time for our second park of the day! Gotta love that Poly transportation…we were on the monorail platform waiting at 11:50am and walking into the MK at Noon:

Or at least trying to, I guess. My AP was now giving me troubles at the gate. So much so that I had to go to Guest Services (outside the park) and get a new AP. Goodbye Donald AP :

I got a new Mickey AP. Turns out that APs frequently get demagnetized. The CM who helped me explained that there are 3 levels of magnetic strips and they use the lowest one on the APs to keep costs down. Seems a little silly to me…we spent enough on the APs…can’t they make them at least the same quality level as a KTTW? Guess not. Anyway, got through the gate with my new AP. And Dug used his bent one and it worked. We decided not to use the KTTW card for admission anymore, just in case they tried to charge us for 10 day PH & APs, since we were using both tickets (they didn’t, though…whew!)

We caught a bit of a show on Main Street:

Then made our way to Tomorrowland. Our plan was to spend our MK time in Tomorrowland only. We knew that our 4 Parks in 1 Day quest might be more impressive if we just did the big headliners, but we’d done BTMR and Space two nights ago (and Splash was closed for refurb), so we were wanting to get some other attractions in. We did check Space anyway, but the FP return time was too late for our plans. The standby line wasn’t terrible, but we had done Space 3 times already on this trip, so it seemed silly to wait in line for it now.

We figured Buzz was probably the closest to a headliner, plus I wanted to ride it again to see if I could do any better, so we got FP for it. It was just before 12:30pm and the FP were for just after 1pm. Not bad!

We had not done the Carousel of Progress yet this trip, so made our way there next. It was about 12:55pm when we left the COP, so we had 10 minutes to kill before our FP for Buzz came up. And what better way to do that than ride the TTA?

Last time we rode the TTA, it stopped immediately after we got on. Same thing happened this time! But, I must say, if you’re going to have any ride stop on you, the TTA seems to have the shortest delay. The announcement tells you that it will start again in one minute—and it did every time! So, it started again and we enjoyed our ride. Until it stopped again. Waited another minute and it was back in action.

We could have used our Buzz FP then, but Dug really wanted to get in a show at the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor. So, we grabbed additional Buzz FP (since the window was now open) and went to the Laugh Floor:

We’d been to this show once before, on our September trip. Dug had texted in a joke that actually got used. I think it was: “Which monster loves to dance to disco music? The Jitterbug!” I guess he hit just the right blend of corny and family-friendly with that one! He texted in another one this time, “What is Mike’s favorite event at the Winter Olympics? Wozowski jumping!” This one didn’t make it into the show. But, Dug himself did! He was “That Guy.” He tried to ham it up for the camera, but off-camera he was constantly dabbing at his seeping impetigo with a kleenex. Glad they never caught him on camera doing that. Probably would have scared the kids!

On to Buzz! It was about 1:50pm. If you recall, our first night at Disney, I had a breakthrough on Buzz. After never being any good at it, I finally was able to see and control my red dot, but not until close to the end of the ride. I was hoping maybe that would be the case for the whole ride this time.

Not so much. I got 63,800 and Dug got 158,900. So much for that I had hoped for! Right at the end of the ride, a few cars away from being able to exit, the ride broke down. We sat there looking around, taking pictures and video. There were two little girls in the car ahead of us. Maybe sisters? And I think their dad was ahead of them. He had a score of 200k+. The girl in front of Dug had an extremely low score. But, the girl in front of me…..608,700!!!!!!!! How is this even possible???? She was probably 7 years old! And, from what we could gather, clearly not an expert at this game. She was reading the scoreboard next to us, telling her seatmate what rankings they got.

Seriously, does anyone know how this score is even possible?!?

So, once “the Claw” allowed the ride to resume, we got off and back on, with our other set of FP. I believe this was the ride where the CM working the FP lane got quite perplexed, since we were there at the exact time listed on our FP. Seeing him checking the time, I commented, “We’re prompt!” to which he just kinda grumbled and let us in. I guess being on time is bad?

So, this ride I was determined to do better. If a 7-year-old can get 600k, I should at least be able to get 200k, right? Hah! Well, just before we entered the game area, the ride broke down again. This is a ride where a breakdown can sometimes be beneficial to your score, but our score hadn’t come up yet. We were just outside that point. So, I just practiced aiming and shooting until we got going. This game we got—are you ready?—23,300 (me) and 29,400 (Dug)! Wow, we’re terrible! I’m starting to think that game just randomly generates scores!

We exited Buzz at about 2:20pm. Pretty much on schedule, as we wanted to get out of the MK by 2:30-3pm. In fact, we had a little bit of time to cross another “try with snack credit” item off our list. We had heard that the Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches at the Main Street Bakery were something worth trying, so we stopped into there on our way out. We picked out the two cookies we wanted for the sandwich: one chocolate chip and one oatmeal raisin. The CM then began scooping up vanilla bean ice cream to put in the middle of it. As it came together, our jaws dropped. We were foolish enough to order one of these without ever having seen a picture of one before! They are huge!

How would we ever have room for dinner at Sunshine Seasons and a No Way Jose (which were coming up next in our plans)? At least we were splitting this “snack.” We sat in the bakery and I ate my half, then gave Dug his half (to avoid impetigo spreading). I can’t believe we actually ate the whole thing. It’s too big to even fit in your mouth, but we did it! This also marked the second thing that I normally don’t like, but did today: Vanilla Ice Cream. I always feel like Vanilla Ice Cream is “plain ice cream.” Too boring for me. But this was delicious! Yum! It’s definitely a good value for a snack credit.

On our way out, we stopped for a few minutes to watch some of the parade going by:

We made our way out of the park just after 3pm. 4000 more steps taken here. It was gorgeous out:

Up next: Epcot and Beaches and Cream (otherwise known as our 2nd all-ice-cream meal of the day!)
Dec. 10-19, 2010: Poly Club! ("How the Other Half Lives") | Nov. 10-14, 2010: Pop/BCV ("100 Eats & Drinks in 3.5 Days!")
Aug. 20-22, 2010: ASMu ("The Last-Minute Super-Bargain Bonus Trip") | June 3-7, 2010: Pop/AKL ("Star Wars Nightastically Delicious!")
Jan. 16-25, 2010: Poly/WL/POR ("The Magic and The Misery") | Sept. 9-14, 2009: Pop Century ("The Prequel") | March 10-17, 1990: Offsite ("A Disney Walk Back in Time...on Four Paws")

Old 02-28-2010, 08:07 PM   #77
my2disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Love the day so far! I really like that last picture!! Makes me want to go back!!! So funny that your DH was "That Guy"!!! My Dh was the dancer last time- we loved Monster Laugh Floor! Did you go on Astro Orbiter? We love that one. Kind of like Dumbo- but faster and the view is pretty cool because you are up so high.

2004-POP . 2007-POR . 2009-POFQ . 2010-POLY . 2011-POFQ . 2011-CBR . 2012-WL and DREAM CRUISE . 2013-BCV 10th Year Anniversary, Vow Renewal Trip! - January 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo House - November 2014 -Thanksgiving and turning 40 at Beach Club Villas
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2010, 11:29 PM   #78
Dugette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2disneyboys View Post
Love the day so far! I really like that last picture!! Makes me want to go back!!! So funny that your DH was "That Guy"!!! My Dh was the dancer last time- we loved Monster Laugh Floor! Did you go on Astro Orbiter? We love that one. Kind of like Dumbo- but faster and the view is pretty cool because you are up so high.
Yes, I just stare at the last pic wishing I was there! We actually don't get to Astro Orbiter until close to the end of the trip, but we do get there. Cool that your DH was in the Monsters Inc show too! That's a fun show!
Dec. 10-19, 2010: Poly Club! ("How the Other Half Lives") | Nov. 10-14, 2010: Pop/BCV ("100 Eats & Drinks in 3.5 Days!")
Aug. 20-22, 2010: ASMu ("The Last-Minute Super-Bargain Bonus Trip") | June 3-7, 2010: Pop/AKL ("Star Wars Nightastically Delicious!")
Jan. 16-25, 2010: Poly/WL/POR ("The Magic and The Misery") | Sept. 9-14, 2009: Pop Century ("The Prequel") | March 10-17, 1990: Offsite ("A Disney Walk Back in Time...on Four Paws")

Old 02-28-2010, 11:39 PM   #79
burly
DIS Veteran

Wow just read it all using the handy dandy links!
Really great so far.
Looking forward to more.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:52 PM   #80
mom2mek
Obsessed with Disney

Great update! That ice cream sandwich looks so good! I'm with ya on the vanilla ice cream thing - it just doesn't appeal to me in most cases, but looks like the best choice when you have all that sweetness of the cookies! I cannot score out of 4 digits on Buzz, no matter what I try! I just can't figure out which dot is mine! Beautiful last picture!

Sara
Old 03-01-2010, 01:07 AM   #81
Sunset Cliffs
DIS Veteran

I'm finally caught up again. Love the video idea, & you did a nice job editing the whole thing. My husband & I did the 4 parks in 1 day thing once before. We were on a work trip & flew in 1 day early to go to WDW (we had been before so it wasn't our first time). We had so much fun. It was like a treasure hunt, trying to find all that we could do in short amounts of time.

I think you guys have bad luck when it comes to rides breaking down. I kept laughing while watching the video each time another one broke. As for Buzz Lightyear, I'm wondering if it was stopped to let someone in a wheelchair on the ride. The last time we went to DL, we were w/ Todd's cousin who is in a wheelchair, & they stop the ride so that he can use one of the special cars. He wheels his chair right in & then off we went. Pretty cool.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:55 AM   #82
disneyaddicted
DIS Veteran

I got real behind on this TR, but I am all caught up now. This may sound ridiculous but I want to be on a ride when it breaks down, it just sounds like tons of fun.

Peter Pan is my favorite ride in Fantasy Land, I like Pooh and Snowhite, but there is something about the Peter Pan ride that is extra magical for me.

I've never ridden dumbo am definitely planning on doing it my next trip.

I had to laug at the visual I had of you carrying a half gallon of milk around, I would totally be one of th epeople starring at you and wondering what the heck was up with that? The Lady must like milk.....

4 parks in one day? just thinking abou tit makes me feet hurt. I can't wait to read the rest.

This freezing weather is crampin my style A Dec 2010 TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post39318035
][IMG]
Old 03-02-2010, 12:20 PM   #83
Goofy442
DIS Veteran

All caught up

Old 03-02-2010, 08:10 PM   #84
Dugette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by burly View Post
Wow just read it all using the handy dandy links!
Really great so far.
Looking forward to more.
Thanks for sharing.
and thanks for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2mek View Post
Great update! That ice cream sandwich looks so good! I'm with ya on the vanilla ice cream thing - it just doesn't appeal to me in most cases, but looks like the best choice when you have all that sweetness of the cookies! I cannot score out of 4 digits on Buzz, no matter what I try! I just can't figure out which dot is mine! Beautiful last picture!
Nice, someone who understands the vanilla ice cream thing! And with Buzz, that is exactly my problem...I can never identify my red dot! Except for that last little bit of that ride the first night. Maybe there's just one special blaster that works and I had it that ride...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset Cliffs View Post
I'm finally caught up again. Love the video idea, & you did a nice job editing the whole thing. My husband & I did the 4 parks in 1 day thing once before. We were on a work trip & flew in 1 day early to go to WDW (we had been before so it wasn't our first time). We had so much fun. It was like a treasure hunt, trying to find all that we could do in short amounts of time.

I think you guys have bad luck when it comes to rides breaking down. I kept laughing while watching the video each time another one broke. As for Buzz Lightyear, I'm wondering if it was stopped to let someone in a wheelchair on the ride. The last time we went to DL, we were w/ Todd's cousin who is in a wheelchair, & they stop the ride so that he can use one of the special cars. He wheels his chair right in & then off we went. Pretty cool.
Very cool that you guys did four parks in one day too! It was such a fun day for us...very memorable. And you guys only had one day, so good thing it worked out!

Yeah, we have crazy luck with rides breaking down. On our September trip, we were only there for 4 1/2 days and did one park per day. 3 of those days, our first ride broke down: Winnie the Pooh, Mission Space, and Toy Story Mania. Plus, I know we had other breakdowns that trip too...I remember being stuck on Buzz and blasting the target on the wall next to me over and over again. I still didn't do very well.

I wonder if there was a wheelchair? I didn't see one when we stopped before exiting. But the stop right after entering, I didn't even look that direction. Who knows? Sounds cool how they do that, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyaddicted View Post
I got real behind on this TR, but I am all caught up now. This may sound ridiculous but I want to be on a ride when it breaks down, it just sounds like tons of fun.

Peter Pan is my favorite ride in Fantasy Land, I like Pooh and Snowhite, but there is something about the Peter Pan ride that is extra magical for me.

I've never ridden dumbo am definitely planning on doing it my next trip.

I had to laug at the visual I had of you carrying a half gallon of milk around, I would totally be one of th epeople starring at you and wondering what the heck was up with that? The Lady must like milk.....
Well, if you think it would be cool to be stuck on a ride, you apparently need to hang around with us! I love Peter Pan too. And I'd recommend Dumbo around 1am! Keep an eye out for your favorite character

Yeah, the milk thing was probably the only time I really should have thought through the consequences of the question, "Would you like a bag?" Oh, well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy442 View Post
All caught up
You're back! You just were at WDW, right? How was your trip?

Old 03-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #85
cinderella crazy
DIS Veteran

Mmmm...Tonga Toast! That looked heavenly! And the ice cream cookie counts as one snack?! I am so going to gain 10 pounds when we go. Enjoyed reading your update!
Old 03-02-2010, 09:36 PM   #86
Dugette
DIS Veteran

Day 4 - Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - Four Parks in One Day: Epcot and "Dinner"

On to the third park of the day! We took the express monorail to the TTC, then switched to the Epcot monorail. Dug was so happy to find his phone charger that he took a picture of it:

Arriving at Epcot:

We used the Lines app from touringplans.com to help figure out what we’d be able to do with little wait time, since it was mid-afternoon at Epcot. We wouldn't be able to Fast Pass anything this time of day. It seemed our best bet for a headliner would be Mission Space.

Once we arrived, we went to Innoventions to take a look at the new Sum of All Thrills. We watched it for a few minutes, then found there is a test-fit seat. Dug tried it out and found it pretty tight. So, we’ll be saving this attraction until later this year, after some more weight-loss progress. Looks interesting, though.

We headed to Mission Space:

On our last trip, we tried to do this attraction first on our Epcot day. Since I am not fond of high-speed spinning, I went to the Green side and Dug went on Orange. But I never actually got on the ride. Fitting with our September theme of “1st rides of the day breaking down”, Green was not working. My Green group was standing on those little numbers in the holding room forever! The CMs kept assuring us that we’d get in soon, but we were giving up, a couple people at a time. I finally left (and took the “super fast pass” they gave out), as Dug would be wondering where I was. We never made it back to Mission Space on that trip.

So, anyway, this would be my first time actually going on the ride! The sign said 5 minutes, but the wait was definitely more than that. But tolerable. I thought the ride was cool. Dug thought it was pretty tame compared to the Orange side. We both had to operate two sets of buttons, as there was no one else in our group.

Next, we saw that the single rider line for Test Track was only 10 minutes, so we jumped in:

Love that ride! I also found a Hidden Mickey. I think it was between the hot and cold areas, there was a little office. In the pencil cup, there was a Mickey pencil!

At this point, we’d worked up a little thirst, so we dropped into Club Cool for some refreshments:

Hey, cool! I just now noticed a Hidden Mickey in that Club Cool sign!

Even though Dug had found his iPhone’s backup battery charging thing, he’d discovered that it wasn’t working. So, he located an outlet near the door of Club Cool and discretely charged his iPhone while we enjoyed our beverages. Fun, fun, sneaking Disney’s power…

We needed to get in at least one more ride to feel like we’d “completed” Epcot. There was no way to do Soarin’ in a reasonable time frame. We thought about one of the boat rides in World Showcase, but they were out of our way. But there would be no wait for Journey Into Imagination! We’d just have to hold our noses in the smell area! So we did:

After Imagination, we made our way towards the International Gateway. It was a little before 6pm. Still beautiful out, though starting to get dark:

As we passed Canada, we discovered that Off Kilter was performing! We had to stop and watch the rest of their show. Dug had been looking forward to seeing them. He loves bagpipes and kilts! They were really good:

After they finished, we continued toward the exit. Heard the British Invasion performing in the U.K. pavilion, but kept on walking:

Once we arrived at the Beach Club, we wandered around the place a bit. We wanted to check it out, since we are planning to attend the Food & Wine Festival in November and it seemed like a good, nearby resort option. We looked around the lobby and the common areas and the grounds. Peeked in at Stormalong Bay…looks very cool!

Made our way to Beaches & Cream. We were a little nervous, as this place does not take ADRs, but can get pretty busy (it’s not very big). And it was still dinnertime. We were lucky, though. We were seated right away at the counter. Right in front of where they make the ice cream sundaes!

Well, after that massive ice cream cookie sandwich on Main Street, neither of us was really that hungry. We’d scrapped our dinner plans at Sunshine Seasons. But, we had come to B&C for one reason…I had to have a No Way Jose. Chocolate and peanut butter…yummy! We asked the waitress for a second bowl so we could split it. She offered to bring a second spoon and put it in a bowl that was easy to share from. But we insisted on an extra bowl. I think she thought it was odd, but we didn’t want to gross her out with talk of contagious face disease! So, I do believe our sundae was served in a different style dish than the No Way Jose usually comes in. She wanted to make it easier to split. And we got our extra bowls (we each got a little bowl).

Before:

After (well, partway through):

Dug also was happy during this “meal,” as he switched the cords he was using to recharge his phone from his Imax Power thing and the new cord worked! Now he would have iPhone battery for late night tweeting!

While we were eating, we realized there was a massive Kitchen Sink being concocted in front of us. Check this out:

They put on a little show of bringing it out to that table.

We enjoyed our ice cream, but not as much as we could have, as we were so ice-cream-full already. Maybe we’ll just have to come back there sometime…

We used our Tables in Wonderland card for a 20% discount here. As we left, we saw that the Kitchen Sink table had left behind a melty mess in their Kitchen Sink.

After this, we wandered around Yacht Club for a bit. It seemed like a nice place too.

But, it was getting late and we still had one more park to do. We headed over to the boat dock and waited for a boat to Hollywood Studios:

Up next: What's the worst line to be in at DHS? How'd we get a laugh from the crowd in the Tower of Terror library? And will we eat anything that is not ice cream tonight?

Old 03-02-2010, 09:39 PM   #87
Dugette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella crazy View Post
Mmmm...Tonga Toast! That looked heavenly! And the ice cream cookie counts as one snack?! I am so going to gain 10 pounds when we go. Enjoyed reading your update!
I love that Tonga Toast picture too! I definitely have to have some of that again! And, yes, the ice cream cookie is just one snack credit! And it's HUGE. I don't think the picture even does it justice. Very yummy, though. Share one amongst your whole family or have it for a meal

Old 03-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #88
Goofy442
DIS Veteran

Yes I did just get back, weather could have been a little warmer but everyone said it was me but I like it really really hot. Lines were long on somedays but not bad. DHS is where my son works so we did that park in no time (thanks to some friends we went right on). I want to go back during the Flower & Garden Festival and stay at The Boardwalk. That's funny everytime Off Kilter is palying we have to stop for my DH. My kids get so mad how many times must we see this. When we were there we ate at B & C and had the Kitchen Sink. I had seen it before but didn't know what they do when they bring it to your table. I thought I was going to crawl under the table my DS knew what was coming and started . But we ate the whole thing and we were really full. It feeds four people and I thought well there is four of us so we will see. When she tolds us what was in there I'm just glad we weren't counting calories

Old 03-03-2010, 07:33 PM   #89
Dugette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy442 View Post
Yes I did just get back, weather could have been a little warmer but everyone said it was me but I like it really really hot. Lines were long on somedays but not bad. DHS is where my son works so we did that park in no time (thanks to some friends we went right on). I want to go back during the Flower & Garden Festival and stay at The Boardwalk. That's funny everytime Off Kilter is palying we have to stop for my DH. My kids get so mad how many times must we see this. When we were there we ate at B & C and had the Kitchen Sink. I had seen it before but didn't know what they do when they bring it to your table. I thought I was going to crawl under the table my DS knew what was coming and started . But we ate the whole thing and we were really full. It feeds four people and I thought well there is four of us so we will see. When she tolds us what was in there I'm just glad we weren't counting calories
Welcome back, glad you had a good trip! That's cool that your son works at DHS! Wow, you tackled the Kitchen Sink! I bet it was yummy. It was pretty fun to watch them put one together. And they really do make quite a production of presenting it!

Old 03-04-2010, 03:01 PM   #90
cinderella crazy
DIS Veteran

DH loves Off Kilter. I had to promise him we could stop and watch them this trip.

I too don't ride the orange side on Mission Space. I did it one time and that was enough for me. Green side rules!

I don't know when, but we are definately going to have to go to Beaches and Cream and at least get a No Way Jose. Maybe even a Kitchen Sink. I wonder how many calories are in each of those. Wait! Since you're in Disney, it's fat free and calorie free. Right?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: