Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2010, 08:10 AM   #151
burly
DIS Veteran

hey thanks for posting your version of that day dug.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:21 AM   #152
mom2mek
Obsessed with Disney

So sorry you were sick, Dugette! It really isn't fun. We had a trip in January of 2006 with 12 of us and we all stayed together in a big house in Formosa Gardens and one by one all of us ended up getting sick. It's so true that you really hate being sick at Disney more than at home. Of course, I got sick right at the end of the trip, missed a day of the parks, got home the next day and was perfectly fine! Ugh.

Wonderful update from you, Dug! It looks like a great day although I'm sure it would have been a lot more enjoyable with your wife beside you. Thanks for filling all of her readers in on the events of the day!

Hoping you were all better the next day!

Sara
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2010, 11:07 AM   #153
cinderella crazy
DIS Veteran

Oh you poor thing! Both Alex and Lauren had stomach bugs on our last Disney trip but they didn't have anything that bad. So sorry you missed out on LeCellier! I'm glad you were able to rest and that Dug was able to somewhat enjoy himself. I'm sure you're really going to enjoy going to LeCellier in June!
Old 04-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #154
Dugette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&Bmama View Post
I love that kind of music too, maybe because I'm from Nova Scotia (latin for New Scotland)
Great update Dug! Can't wait for more.
Thanks for the links. I'm sure Dug will enjoy. And I'll have to check them out too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Arrrrrrgg! I did it again. I started reading your trip report back when you started it and then forgot to subscribe! You mentioning you Le Cellier experience in my TR jogged my memory, so I came over here and got all caught up.

Ok, I'm ready now. You may continue.
Oh, good, now that you're here I can start working on another update

Good to have you here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burly View Post
hey thanks for posting your version of that day dug.
It only took about a week and a half of my "reminders" for him to do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2mek View Post
So sorry you were sick, Dugette! It really isn't fun. We had a trip in January of 2006 with 12 of us and we all stayed together in a big house in Formosa Gardens and one by one all of us ended up getting sick. It's so true that you really hate being sick at Disney more than at home. Of course, I got sick right at the end of the trip, missed a day of the parks, got home the next day and was perfectly fine! Ugh.

Wonderful update from you, Dug! It looks like a great day although I'm sure it would have been a lot more enjoyable with your wife beside you. Thanks for filling all of her readers in on the events of the day!

Hoping you were all better the next day!

Sara
Gosh, no fun with everyone in your house getting sick. Yuck! Missing a Disney day is so sad Things do start improving soon, slowly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella crazy View Post
Oh you poor thing! Both Alex and Lauren had stomach bugs on our last Disney trip but they didn't have anything that bad. So sorry you missed out on LeCellier! I'm glad you were able to rest and that Dug was able to somewhat enjoy himself. I'm sure you're really going to enjoy going to LeCellier in June!
I can't wait for Le Cellier in June! In fact, our ADRs for June are pretty much a make-up-for-things-I-didn't-get-to-fully-enjoy! So excited!
Aug. 20-22, 2010: ASMu ("The Last-Minute Super-Bargain Bonus Trip") | June 3-7, 2010: Pop/AKL ("Star Wars Nightastically Delicious!")
Jan. 16-25, 2010: Poly/WL/POR ("The Magic and The Misery") | Sept. 9-14, 2009: Pop Century ("The Prequel") | March 10-17, 1990: Offsite ("A Disney Walk Back in Time...on Four Paws")

Old 04-07-2010, 08:28 PM   #155
Dugette
DIS Veteran

Day 7 - Friday, January 22, 2010 - 102 Degrees in the Magic Kingdom!

In case anyone is wondering, I found a note that Dug walked 16k steps on his Epcot day.

Onto the next morning, though. I got a pretty good night’s sleep. Considering that I slept the entire previous day also, that’s pretty impressive. Took my temperature and it was 101.9 degrees. Not so impressive. Or maybe it is, I don’t know.

But, I did feel like maybe I was capable of doing a little bit this morning. My stomach felt more stable. Probably because it was empty. I figured that I must have been borderline starving at that point, as I hadn’t eaten anything in a day and a half, plus everything I’d eaten prior to being sick was evacuated. But I still wasn’t hungry.

Because I wasn’t feeling quite as nauseous anymore, I decided to try to eat a bit of that white bread Dug had bought. After trying for awhile, I gave up having eaten less than half a slice. It was just so dry and chewy that it was hard to get down. I remember commenting that something blah, but juicier, would be better…like an apple. Given that the bread wasn’t really working for me, I decided to try something that my stomach had grown quite accustomed to during this trip: Reese’s Puffs. I just munched a few dry ones (both the chocolate and the peanut butter ones, in case you were wondering). Breakfast of champions. That seemed sufficient, so I stopped with that. Didn’t cause any protein spillage, so that was good. I have no idea what Dug had for breakfast…maybe a breakfast/granola bar we brought or something?

Since I was well-rested and well-fed (ha), we decided to head out to the Magic Kingdom. We packed an empty Disney plastic bag, just in case of protein spillage (didn’t need it…whew!) We figured we'd just take it easy and do only gentle rides and see what I could handle. We took the bus and arrived at the Magic Kingdom around 9:30am. It had rained overnight, but it was nice now, forecasted to get into the 70’s this day.

The Magic Kingdom was very quiet. Gotta love Disney in mid/late January! We walked onto Peter Pan, Small World, and the Haunted Mansion. I felt decent through all of them. Dug took a lot of pictures of Small World, so here’s a random sampling (including the clock, which was going both before and after our ride!):

Next, we went to the Hall of Presidents. We enjoyed the show.

At this point, it was time to attempt some lunch, so we went over to Pecos Bill.

Dug got a bacon double cheeseburger, fries, carrot cake, and Sprite. I tried to get the most bland meal I could find, in hopes that my digestive system might find it acceptable. I got the chicken wrap, apple slices (remember I’d been wanting apple earlier?), strawberry yogurt, and water:

I didn’t eat very much, definitely less than half of my food, but it was all I could handle. I still had no appetite, but was really only eating because I hadn’t for nearly two days. It was nice that we found a table up around the corner from the crowded area, so we were in our own little private, empty area. Oh, by the way, our meal-time-fun had doubled now. Instead of just making sure that I didn't get Dug's impetigo, we had to make sure that he didn't get my flu either! We did some careful pre-cutting of food, so that he could have some of the chicken wrap too. It's impressive that we managed to avoid catching each-other's highly contagious things while sharing meals!

After lunch, I decided to check my temperature again (I’d brought the thermometer along). It was, I think, about 99.5 degrees. I thought it was promising that it was lower than it had been, but I also knew that I’d just been drinking cold water with my meal, so it likely was bringing my temp down. Turns out that was the case; when I checked later in the afternoon it was back up to nearly 102 again!

I felt okay after eating and relaxing for a bit, so we headed over to Pirates after lunch. We'd read that, while in the queue, you can see two pirates trapped in a game of chess that is set up just right to be un-winnable:

What a great ride! Except that the mist waterfall was not going at all on our whole trip! Still good, though.

When we got off the ride, we got on the moving walkway that goes uphill. While on that, it suddenly hit me that I felt really sick! I turned to Dug and said, “We need to leave…now!” When we made it out of Pirates, I made a beeline for the restroom (luckily there is one right there). No protein spills, but I’m pretty sure the Pecos Bill’s food didn’t spend much time in my digestive system.

We headed out of the Magic Kingdom at this point. Returned to POR for a rest. Just like the people with little kids, we went back to our resort for a midday nap! I was out very quickly. When I woke up, I felt very refreshed and declared it “The Best Nap Ever!” (Really, how can you top a nap that ends with you waking up in Disney World?)

Surprisingly, this day we were sticking pretty well to our plans (on our PTR). We’d planned to have an easy morning in the MK and lunch at Pecos Bill’s. Check. We even made a note that, although we didn’t have any afternoon naps scheduled on this trip, this particular day might be a good day for one. The rest of our plan for the day consisted of dinner at 5:15pm at ‘Ohana and Evening Extra Magic Hours at Epcot. We’d initially planned to see Illuminations this night, but changed our minds and decided to head to the MK after dinner and actually make an effort to watch Spectro and Wishes (rather than just seeing them from rides).

When we woke up from our nap, we still had some time to kill before dinner. We’d been wanting to take a walk around the beautiful grounds at POR, and it was a nice sunny afternoon, so we headed out. Here’s a few pics:

It’s such a pretty place. It is big, though. The walk really made me appreciate how close our building:

was to the main building, bus stops, and POFQ. We had a good location. After our walk, we went over to the POR shop and got me some Tylenol, as I still had a fever. I hadn’t taken any other medications, but I thought it would be wise to try to bring that 102 down (and get rid of some of the aches). I took the Tylenol while we were waiting for a bus to the MK. Our plan was to take the bus to the MK, get on the monorail to the Poly, and check in for our dinner at ‘Ohana. We were so excited to be going back to our “first home” at the Poly!

Up next: Will I survive an all-you-can-eat family-style meal? Can we find a good spot for our first “real” Wishes viewing? And waiting for a bus that doesn’t even exist!
Aug. 20-22, 2010: ASMu ("The Last-Minute Super-Bargain Bonus Trip") | June 3-7, 2010: Pop/AKL ("Star Wars Nightastically Delicious!")
Jan. 16-25, 2010: Poly/WL/POR ("The Magic and The Misery") | Sept. 9-14, 2009: Pop Century ("The Prequel") | March 10-17, 1990: Offsite ("A Disney Walk Back in Time...on Four Paws")

Old 04-08-2010, 07:31 AM   #156
A&Bmama
DIS Veteran

I see my predictions were pretty close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugette View Post
[But, I did feel like maybe I was capable of doing a little bit this morning. My stomach felt more stable. Probably because it was empty. The Magic Kingdom was very quiet. Gotta love Disney in mid/late January!
Glad that you were feeling a little better. I think off season is great!

Quote:
Oh, by the way, our meal-time-fun had doubled now. Instead of just making sure that I didn't get Dug's impetigo, we had to make sure that he didn't get my flu either! We did some careful pre-cutting of food, so that he could have some of the chicken wrap too. It's impressive that we managed to avoid catching each-other's highly contagious things while sharing meals!
You guys deserve a gold star! I'm not sure how you managed it.

Quote:
No protein spills, but I’m pretty sure the Pecos Bill’s food didn’t spend much time in my digestive system.

Quote:
We headed out of the Magic Kingdom at this point. Returned to POR for a rest. Just like the people with little kids, we went back to our resort for a midday nap! I was out very quickly. When I woke up, I felt very refreshed and declared it “The Best Nap Ever!” (Really, how can you top a nap that ends with you waking up in Disney World?)
I'm sure you needed that nap!

Quote:
When we woke up from our nap, we still had some time to kill before dinner. We’d been wanting to take a walk around the beautiful grounds at POR, and it was a nice sunny afternoon, so we headed out. Here’s a few pics:

So pretty! I totally ripped this off, it's now on my desktop. I'm planting a seed in DH's head...

Quote:
Will I survive an all-you-can-eat family-style meal?
Survive, yes; enjoy, I predict not really.

Quote:
Can we find a good spot for our first “real” Wishes viewing?
I going to say yes.

Quote:
And waiting for a bus that doesn’t even exist!
That can't be good...

Me, DH, DD12, DS 19
Old 04-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #157
Dugette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I see my predictions were pretty close.
You were impressively accurate! I'd almost think you had someone following us around the MK! I have a feeling your next set of predictions may be pretty good too

Quote:
So pretty! I totally ripped this off, it's now on my desktop. I'm planting a seed in DH's head...
Yes, POR is really pretty! Enjoy the picture. Hopefully that seed you're planting grows into a lovely Disney tree.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:03 PM   #158
Dizneydawn
One Road Trip Away From A STRAIGHT JACKET! Wanna Come too?

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Hi! I am here! Will catch up tom and do a proper post!
Old 04-09-2010, 05:42 AM   #159
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

It was fun to read about Dug's day from his perspective!

The next day you were able to get quite a bit done, even though you were still feeling crummy. Impressive!

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

Old 04-09-2010, 06:57 AM   #160
Dugette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizneydawn View Post
Hi! I am here! Will catch up tom and do a proper post!
Glad you stopped by! Enjoy the catching up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisehisname View Post
It was fun to read about Dug's day from his perspective!

The next day you were able to get quite a bit done, even though you were still feeling crummy. Impressive!
Yeah, we did get a fair amount done (and more to come!) A lot more productive than the previous day, that's for sure!

Old 04-10-2010, 03:41 PM   #161
Dugette
DIS Veteran

Day 7 - Friday, January 22, 2010 - 'Ohana, Wishes, & Epcot EMH

We left off after taking The Best Nap Ever, exploring the grounds of POR, and acquiring Tylenol. We waited at the main POR bus stop, then caught a bus to the Magic Kingdom. Once there, we took the monorail over to the Poly:

It was so nice to be back again! We just love this place!

Checked in at ‘Ohana:

While we waited to be seated, we both decided to use the restroom. During our stay at the Poly, the only restroom we were aware of was down on the first level. But now we discovered that there are restrooms right inside of ‘Ohana! Plus, these were the only restrooms I found at WDW that had “real” toilet paper. Not the cheap, thin stuff, but nice, quilted stuff! Cool! (The things that impress me, huh?)

Soon, we were seated. We were in the main dining area with a view of things like this:

The CM who seated us also mentioned that we were directly in front of where the entertainment would be. And, although we weren’t next to a window, we could see this from our table:

At this point, my stomach was feeling okay, but I still had a very minimal appetite. At least the thought of food was no longer making me feel sick. Because there was a lot of food here.

We started with the Welcome Bread:

This was across from our table and Dug thought it was funny that the tiki guy appears to be licking the torch:

Next up was the salad:

Our “cousin” brought out the dipping sauces:

And then the entertainment began. And the greeter wasn’t kidding, it was right in front of/next to our table:

All the kids were cute. The entertainer flirted with Dug on several occasions. Apparently she has a thing for crusty-faced guys? She liked that he wore a Hawaiian shirt. We ended up getting a couple of the leis she’s holding in that picture.

Next up were the potstickers:

After that, the sticky wings:

Then, they brought out some hot washcloths, which Dug loved to hold on his face:

This was followed by noodles and broccoli:

And then, all the meats:

A note on the picture of the shrimp: We realized late in the meal that we never got a picture of them serving the meat. So, Dug tried to take a picture of it happening around us, but was having trouble getting a picture. A random CM noticed and came over to pose, just so he could have a good picture! Nice people at Disney!

Last but not least was the bread pudding:

I can’t even tell you how hungry it’s making me now to look at all these pictures! At the time, I was not so hungry. However, I did manage to eat 1 bite (literally one bite, except for the potstickers--I had a whole one) of each item, except for the sticky wings. I had a little sweetness-aversion going and they just didn’t appeal to me at the time. That sweetness-aversion applied to the dessert too. I know many people love it, but I really couldn’t enjoy it at that moment and was only able to eat one bite. Oh, I also didn’t have any shrimp, as I don’t like seafood. But I believe I had one small bite of each of the other meats. On the bright side, though, we have an ‘Ohana ADR again on our June trip, so I hope to make up for my lack of appetite! The other good thing is that ‘Ohana was the first meal that my stomach actually found acceptable! Finally! It was all very yummy, by the way.

After dinner, we headed back out to the monorail to go to the Magic Kingdom. We wanted to actually sit down and watch Spectro and Wishes from the MK. We ended up selecting a bench down by the rose garden, just outside the seating area there. The view of Spectro was marginal, but both of us really wanted to be sitting, plus we’d have a good view of Wishes from here.

We were able to see Spectro, but just from a little distance. And the floats were only fully visible for a brief moment, as there was a small hill blocking much of our view (except for the tops of the floats). But it was okay and we enjoyed.

As time went on, more and more people gathered in our formerly-empty area. People were pulling chairs out of the covered seating area and putting them out on the path near our bench. We hoped this was a good sign—that this would be a good view.

The show started. It was a very good view, although not symmetrical, since we were off on the side of the castle. We really liked it, though. I videotaped the whole thing. The coolest part is that we had an excellent view of Tinkerbell. I managed to get some good video, so enjoy (only 20 seconds long):

Here are a few still frames from my video of some of the best moments:

After the show, we walked around a little bit, waiting for the crowds to clear out somewhat. It was apparent that there would be a wait to take the monorail from the MK, so we decided to walk over to the Contemporary and try to get to Epcot from there. The walk was nice and I’m sure it was much quicker than waiting for the monorail at the MK.

We went to the bus stop at the Contemporary and sat on a bench. A bus for Downtown Disney arrived. Most of the people at the bus stop got on it. We waited. Another Downtown Disney bus arrived. Again, most people got on it. You may be laughing at this if you know more about the Contemporary’s transportation than we did. Although, at this point, we were starting to get a bad feeling about this. At some point, after we’d been watching the parade of Downtown Disney busses for awhile, we started wondering if there actually was Epcot bus service from the Contemporary. We looked it up on the iPhone and it turns out the bus we were waiting for didn’t exist! Oops!

So, we headed into the Contemporary and up to the monorail platform. We got in just in time to catch a monorail. Made the switch to the Epcot monorail at the TTC.

Once we arrived at Epcot (for Extra Magic Hours), we hit Spaceship Earth first (no line). After the ride, we did one of the activities. We put on 3D glasses and assembled a body. The game has a (video) conveyor belt of body parts going by and you have to pick them up and drop them into the right part of the body. It was fun.

Next, we made our way to The Seas with Nemo and Friends. Again, there was no line, so we hopped in our Clam-mobile and were off.

On our previous trip, we had seen a disembarkation accident that was scary. A few Clam-mobiles in front of us was a family with the dad in a wheelchair. The dad was in a wheelchair because he did not have legs. I’m not sure what happened, but when he was getting out of the vehicle, he somehow went flying backwards and fell out of his chair onto the floor. Luckily, he appeared to be fine and had a good sense of humor about it. He was back in the chair quickly, with his family’s assistance. We saw the ride operator make a call after the incident. It was quite frightening-looking.

Luckily, this particular ride was uneventful. We had enjoyed Turtle Talk with Crush on the last trip and were hoping to do it again on this trip. However, we thought we had heard that it was not open during evening EMH (maybe because it’s late at night and geared towards little kids?) We decided to take a look anyway and it was actually open! We waited a bit for the show and played the little quiz games they have in the waiting area.

We really enjoyed this show again. It was fun that it was different than last time we saw it. I don’t remember Dori making a guest appearance before, for instance.

Soarin’ still had a lengthy wait, and was out of Fast Passes, so we made our way over to World Showcase. It was time to take a boat ride through a pyramid!

On our last trip, we were the only people in our boat and enjoyed the relaxing cruise with our feet up on the front of the boat. I was hoping to do that again. It almost happened, but a couple of guys got in line a little behind us and made it into our boat. We still got the front seat, so I put my feet up again anyway. Turns out that the young guys behind us (maybe college-age) were like little kids on this ride…just enchanted by the magic and enjoying it. They were fun to listen to—it sounded like they hadn’t been on this ride since they were little kids. I had a relaxing cruise.

Next up was the other boat ride, Maelstrom. It was great too. I love the drop!

It was getting towards park close, so we went back to Soarin’. There was still a wait posted (30 minutes maybe?), but we got in line. From Dug’s math the previous day, this wasn’t too much of a wait.

We were standing in line for what felt like a long time. I think the Tylenol wore off and I was starting to feel very weak. I had a really hard time standing in line for very long. Dug was tired too and ended up sitting down in line (as did the family ahead of us). If I didn’t think this would be my only chance at Soarin’ this trip, I probably would have skipped it and left. But I had to ride Soarin’! Eventually, we got on and had a lovely ride.

The walk back to the busses was tough on both of us. It seemed so long and we were so sore and tired. But, we got a bus and made it back to POR, happy to see our bed. 18k steps walked for the day. Not too bad for a sicko!

Up next: Sleeping in, a day of Epcot, and another big buffet!

Last edited by Dugette; 04-10-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:23 PM   #162
my2disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Great Update!! I have never seen Tinkerbell so close. WOW! That was so cool. Thanks so much for posting. I cant wait to show my boys tomorrow! We always see her from so far away that I had thought it was just a light....

2004-POP . 2007-POR . 2009-POFQ . 2010-POLY . 2011-POFQ . 2011-CBR . 2012-WL and DREAM CRUISE . 2013-BCV 10th Year Anniversary, Vow Renewal Trip! - January 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo House - November 2014 -Thanksgiving and turning 40 at Beach Club Villas
Old 04-10-2010, 09:26 PM   #163
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:

While we waited to be seated, we both decided to use the restroom. During our stay at the Poly, the only restroom we were aware of was down on the first level. But now we discovered that there are restrooms right inside of ‘Ohana! Plus, these were the only restrooms I found at WDW that had “real” toilet paper. Not the cheap, thin stuff, but nice, quilted stuff! Cool! (The things that impress me, huh?)
A few years back I was chatting with a CM while waiting for a monorail. I was mock-complaining about the single ply TP that they have every where. He said he was going to let me in on a little secret. He got real close and started talking very quiet, like he was letting me in on some tightly held Disney Secret. He said that if you pull off twice as much as you need from the roll, then fold in half length-wise, you get two ply!
Old 04-10-2010, 10:41 PM   #164
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member

Loved seeing Tink; when you say you sat on a bench near the rose garden, where is that? Is it outside of Plaza?

O'hana - pot stickers and the bread pudding - YUM! Sorry you still weren't up to enjoying fully!

Can't wait to hear about the buffet - hopefully, you were feeling better!
Old 04-11-2010, 08:04 AM   #165
burly
DIS Veteran

you said you sat down in line for Soarin'. didn't they have the games working?
thanks for the update, I'm so glad you were feeling well enough to actually eat at O'hana, would have been a shame.....and expensive, if you couldn't.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: