Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2010, 06:57 AM   #136
Dugette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by burly View Post
Oh man, i'm so sorry you went thru that, hope you felt better fast!
The first time i went to WDW i had and emergency root canal!
Yikes!!!
Aug. 20-22, 2010: ASMu ("The Last-Minute Super-Bargain Bonus Trip") | June 3-7, 2010: Pop/AKL ("Star Wars Nightastically Delicious!")
Jan. 16-25, 2010: Poly/WL/POR ("The Magic and The Misery") | Sept. 9-14, 2009: Pop Century ("The Prequel") | March 10-17, 1990: Offsite ("A Disney Walk Back in Time...on Four Paws")

Old 03-25-2010, 07:09 AM   #137
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

Oh no! I'm sorry you were so sick! I hope the next day you woke up feeling better.

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2010, 07:11 AM   #138
A&Bmama
DIS Veteran

Wow sorry to hear that you were sick.

Sounds to me like you had norovirus to me. My daughter had it at about the same time you would have. I nursed her through her violent protein spillages, brought her small drinks and took her temp at regular intervals. My thanks for performing my Dr. Mom duties was a case of norovirus of my very own. Not fun at all.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I would much rather be sick at home be in than a strange place and lose a day of precious vacation. I wouldn't even want to be sort of sick.

Im going to go out on a limb and say if you had norovirus that by the next day you were feeling much improved but not 100%. I'm guessing you were still feeling somewhat tired and weak. You probably ate some small meals and drinks and didn't spill any protein. I predict you went to a park but didn't do a "full" day and avoided any thrill rides. Sounds like MK would be a good park to visit.

Can't wait till your next update to see how close I am.

Me, DH, DD12, DS 19
Old 03-25-2010, 12:20 PM   #139
Dugette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisehisname View Post
Oh no! I'm sorry you were so sick! I hope the next day you woke up feeling better.
Thanks. Things will improve...

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&Bmama View Post
Wow sorry to hear that you were sick.

Sounds to me like you had norovirus to me. My daughter had it at about the same time you would have. I nursed her through her violent protein spillages, brought her small drinks and took her temp at regular intervals. My thanks for performing my Dr. Mom duties was a case of norovirus of my very own. Not fun at all.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I would much rather be sick at home be in than a strange place and lose a day of precious vacation. I wouldn't even want to be sort of sick.

Im going to go out on a limb and say if you had norovirus that by the next day you were feeling much improved but not 100%. I'm guessing you were still feeling somewhat tired and weak. You probably ate some small meals and drinks and didn't spill any protein. I predict you went to a park but didn't do a "full" day and avoided any thrill rides. Sounds like MK would be a good park to visit.

Can't wait till your next update to see how close I am.
I looked up norovirus after reading your post. I have to say, that sounds exactly like what I had! As far as your predictions, you'll have to wait and see...but you might want to look into fortune telling for some extra Disney money Sorry you and your daughter had to deal with it too...it was the sickest I've been in a LONG time! Just terrible!
Aug. 20-22, 2010: ASMu ("The Last-Minute Super-Bargain Bonus Trip") | June 3-7, 2010: Pop/AKL ("Star Wars Nightastically Delicious!")
Jan. 16-25, 2010: Poly/WL/POR ("The Magic and The Misery") | Sept. 9-14, 2009: Pop Century ("The Prequel") | March 10-17, 1990: Offsite ("A Disney Walk Back in Time...on Four Paws")

Old 03-25-2010, 12:40 PM   #140
Goofy442
DIS Veteran

I would be feeling the same way what a waste of a day. Go fiqure if we could plan getting sick it wouldn't be in Disney. My kids have only been sick twice in Disney and they go out of there way to help you. I hope you were only sick for one day and the rest of your trip was better.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:11 PM   #141
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member

That stinks that you were so sick! How nice of Dug to bring home all those "supplies" including some from Le Cellier. I hope that I soon read that you were able to enjoy the goods in the fridge in your next post!
Old 03-25-2010, 04:31 PM   #142
my2disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Hi!!
Wow that sounds pretty awful but like you said atleast you knew you were coming back soon. I got sick too. We had dinner reservations at Narcoosees and I really didnt want to miss it. I ended up feeling better (I wasnt as sick as you) and service and food was yucky... should have just stayed in and rested!

You take such great pictures. I love all the pics from the AK!

2004-POP . 2007-POR . 2009-POFQ . 2010-POLY . 2011-POFQ . 2011-CBR . 2012-WL and DREAM CRUISE . 2013-BCV 10th Year Anniversary, Vow Renewal Trip! - January 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo House - November 2014 -Thanksgiving and turning 40 at Beach Club Villas
Old 03-25-2010, 04:38 PM   #143
JLR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugette View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]

I got a Sprite to drink and Dug got lemonade. Everything was very tasty and we enjoyed. The chef was also very fun and silly. I really enjoyed Teppan Edo and would go back. My only other experience with a Japanese steakhouse was a couple years ago. We went to Ichiban in Minneapolis for my dad’s birthday. Although it was similar to Teppan Edo, it was a very different experience. The chef did all kinds of crazy tricks—food was flying everywhere! Our mouths were hanging open watching him catch everything. And the food was amazing, possibly one of the best meals I’ve ever had (I had steak there too). So, in comparison, Teppan Edo was maybe a 4 if Ichiban was a 5. But, if I didn’t have anything to compare it to, I’d say it was COLOR]
I am just starting to read your TR. Thanks for putting in chapter links. I'll have to figure out how to do the single post link. So far I can only get the whole page hyperlinked.

I had to laugh when you mentioned Ichiban - it is one of my favorite restaurants! If we drive instead of fly to Iowa we go through the twin cities to see friends and eat great food. (North Dakota is great, but not known as the Mecca of fine dining!) At any rate, the trip I am planning to Disney for my dd9 and myself is a surprise for her. Since I wanted to get her to do all the math and spelling before we left, I had to tell her we were going somewhere - so I told her we are going to Minneapolis. This is the gospel truth since we are going to Minnapolis not once, but twice! She has been planning to go to the Mall of America and the amusement park inside it, and to the Minneapolis Zoo. Do you think she'll be too disappointed to go to Disney?

I'm only up to day 3 so I'm not being insensitive about the Misery - I just haven't read it yet!
Old 03-25-2010, 10:15 PM   #144
Dugette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy442 View Post
I would be feeling the same way what a waste of a day. Go fiqure if we could plan getting sick it wouldn't be in Disney. My kids have only been sick twice in Disney and they go out of there way to help you. I hope you were only sick for one day and the rest of your trip was better.
Bummer that your kids were sick in Disney a couple times. No fun! I will recover, but more slowly than I would have liked. No hopping out of bed completely cured for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamingdebby View Post
That stinks that you were so sick! How nice of Dug to bring home all those "supplies" including some from Le Cellier. I hope that I soon read that you were able to enjoy the goods in the fridge in your next post!
I'll get to them eventually, but not in the next post. Although, not to spoil anything, but now I totally understand why everyone always raves about the pretzel bread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2disneyboys View Post
Hi!!
Wow that sounds pretty awful but like you said atleast you knew you were coming back soon. I got sick too. We had dinner reservations at Narcoosees and I really didnt want to miss it. I ended up feeling better (I wasnt as sick as you) and service and food was yucky... should have just stayed in and rested!

You take such great pictures. I love all the pics from the AK!
That's too bad that you were sick too. I would hate to have gotten up and gone out to dinner and had it be not-so-great like that!

All credit goes to Dug on the photos. He loves taking pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR View Post
I am just starting to read your TR. Thanks for putting in chapter links. I'll have to figure out how to do the single post link. So far I can only get the whole page hyperlinked.

I had to laugh when you mentioned Ichiban - it is one of my favorite restaurants! If we drive instead of fly to Iowa we go through the twin cities to see friends and eat great food. (North Dakota is great, but not known as the Mecca of fine dining!) At any rate, the trip I am planning to Disney for my dd9 and myself is a surprise for her. Since I wanted to get her to do all the math and spelling before we left, I had to tell her we were going somewhere - so I told her we are going to Minneapolis. This is the gospel truth since we are going to Minnapolis not once, but twice! She has been planning to go to the Mall of America and the amusement park inside it, and to the Minneapolis Zoo. Do you think she'll be too disappointed to go to Disney?

I'm only up to day 3 so I'm not being insensitive about the Misery - I just haven't read it yet!
As far as the chapter links, I don't know if there's a better way to do it, since I figured it out myself through trial and error, but this is what I did: find a TR with chapter links (this one will work), hit "quote" on the post with the chapter links, you'll see the code used, copy it (and back out of the quote screen), change the info to your info, to get the longer number I hit quote on the post I want to link and copy it from the beginning of that (back out of quote again), then fill in that and the post # into the code, then test it. That sounded much more complicated than it is!

That's awesome about surprising your daughter with the trip. Yeah, I think WDW will be a reasonable replacement for MOA. That's cool that you like Ichiban too!

No worries about not being to the "Misery" yet...the stuff you're reading now is more fun anyway

Old 03-27-2010, 11:07 AM   #145
Mouse's Shadow
DIS Veteran

Just got caught up. I love your animal pics. AK is just a great park to photograph. I'm glad you found devine. She's so cool. You're making me rethink missing EMH hours at AK in Oct.

Being sick stinks. Loosing a Disney day is such a disappointment. I hope the spillage was behind you. (Not literally) I'll be waiting with anticipation.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:13 AM   #146
Sunset Cliffs
DIS Veteran

Oh no! I was really hoping that the reason you missed your ADR was for something even cooler, not because you were sick. I hope that you felt better the next day. I swear that our bodies know when we are on vacation & they decide to "let down" as well. It seems like either Todd or I get at least a little sick on most of our trips. It's so annoying!
Old 03-28-2010, 09:22 PM   #147
Dugette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse's Shadow View Post
Just got caught up. I love your animal pics. AK is just a great park to photograph. I'm glad you found devine. She's so cool. You're making me rethink missing EMH hours at AK in Oct.

Being sick stinks. Loosing a Disney day is such a disappointment. I hope the spillage was behind you. (Not literally) I'll be waiting with anticipation.
Yes, AK has so many cool details...fun for photos! The evening EMH at AK were definitely nice for getting on things w/o lines, but there are very limited options of attractions that remain open.

I agree, losing a Disney day is so disappointing! Especially our Le Cellier day...no openings to reschedule that during our trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset Cliffs View Post
Oh no! I was really hoping that the reason you missed your ADR was for something even cooler, not because you were sick. I hope that you felt better the next day. I swear that our bodies know when we are on vacation & they decide to "let down" as well. It seems like either Todd or I get at least a little sick on most of our trips. It's so annoying!
I'm trying to imagine what kind of super-cool thing would need to happen for me to miss Le Cellier! I would have much preferred that were the case. I agree, it seems like one of us always ends up at least a little sick on vacation...this was more sick than most times, though.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:18 AM   #148
Dug
Earning My Ears

Day 6 - Thursday, January 21, 2010 - Dug's Day

Waking up at Disney World is usually like Christmas morning. Even if you didn’t get a lot of sleep, you’re excited to get up, because so many fun things lie ahead.

That is not as true when you awake to discover your wife spilling protein.

I no longer remember all of the details. I would like to hope I was a nice, concerned helpful hubby. I’m sure I asked if she thought she might get better. I wouldn’t be surprised if she moaned in response.

I was still dealing with impetigo at the time. Typically when I awoke, my lips were fused together, so it’s entirely possible I needed to address that before even speaking with Dugette. That routine typically involved applying several types of medicine, from the topical antibiotic to the roll-on Benadryl to the hydrocortisol to the camphor. I didn’t always use all at once. It often took a hot shower as well and a warm wash cloth to help get the overnight gunk build-up off. (I discovered how good a warm wash cloth could feel at Teppan Edo.) I discovered at some point, that the continued rubbing off of the gunk on my lips also rubbed off the skin on my lips, leaving them cracked and stinging.

(See, now, aren’t you glad that Dugette has been writing these updates rather than me, with the messed-up face?)

I was at least kind enough to not abandon my wife right away in the morning. We hung out in the room in the hope that she might get better. I would have run out to get medicine, I think, but I seem to remember she wasn’t interested: she just wanted to rest.

So instead, I did what I do best: I read tweets on my iPhone. (For you iPhoners, I highly recommend Twittelator Pro for Twitter.) My wife calls my intensive reading of tweets “downtweeting” which seems like a term that should catch on. This went on for a couple hours or so (a lot of tweets had built up while we touring the parks). To supplement my narration of the day, I’ll be glad to share some of my tweets from the day. For example, at 10:53 a.m., I tweeted the following:

“Wife sick. We have Le Cellier reservations for tonight. No open slots available during rest of trip. Hope she gets well. Not sure what to do.”

And I didn’t know what to do, until noon, when Dugette encouraged me to go to the park:

“Going to Epcot all by my lonesome while wife rests. Hopefully she will be able to join me later for Le Cellier. It would be a shame to miss.”

My plan was to grab a Soarin’ Fastpass, then eat fish and chips in the UK (which she wasn’t too keen on: she’s not a fan of seafood). After that, head to Mission Space Orange, explore the Innoventions exhibits we had missed, and grab another Soarin’ Fastpass so that if Dugette got better, she could join me on Soarin’ and then we could go to Le Cellier.

So I headed over to the bus and took it to Epcot. If I remember right, I wasn’t feeling 100% that day, either, so the morning rest had done some good for me. I put my plan into action, grabbing a Soarin’ Fastpass on the way to the UK.

In between Canada and the UK, I discovered that Off Kilter was getting set up, so I grabbed a good seat. I studied in Scotland for a year in college, and have Scottish and Irish heritage, so bagpipes truly soothe my soul. My tweet captured this pretty well:

“More rock music should be done in kilts and with bagpipes. Off Killter totally rocks my world.”

I’ve always said that the best British food is Indian, but the one exception is fish and chips. Those are great. So I headed over to the Yorkshire Fish & Chips shop.

It was wonderful to see it served in newsprint, as it is over in the UK. I of course grabbed some malt vinegar packets (the only way to eat chips/fries, with fish or no).

I headed over to the pavilion next door and grabbed a seat. It was very windy, and my food got blown around, but I managed to eat everything, as the seagulls hovered nearby.

After that, I wandered through the UK pavilion, exploring all the shops. I’m not a huge shopper, but it was neat seeing the different building styles and recognizing a few products like digestive biscuits that I remembered from living over there.

After that, I headed over to France. My parents are French teachers, so France has always held a special place in my heart and in my memories: I’ve had the chance to go there twice.

I watched Impressiones de France: a beautiful look at all that is wonderful with La France. Then I grabbed a snack at the Patisserie. Dugette and I had hoped to grab a Napoleon at some point on the trip, so I didn’t have one of those, but instead had the French equivalent of a cannoli.

When I got out of the patisserie, I spotted a ferry about to head out, so I booked it and ate the pastry on board.

It’s probably worth saying that when I said I booked it, that’s a relative term. I have some delightful hip problems, so I don’t move so fast. I had hoped the chiropractor would be able to fix me up beforehand, but it wasn’t so.

So after disembarking, I continued my hobbling and grabbed another Soarin’ Fastpass, even though it seemed at this point that Dugette might not make it, as she still wasn’t feeling well.

I don’t have notes on this, but I wouldn’t be surprised if I grabbed some Club Cool afterwards. Watermelon, the Israel one and Mexico/Costa Rica are my favorites, probably in that order.

Next, on to Mission Space. When I got close, I noticed a Brazilian tour group making a beeline for the entrance. I didn’t make it fast enough, and with the huge influx of new astronauts, I thought it best to try something else.

So I walked next door to Test Track and got in the single rider line. It was predictably fast. Lucky I did that one first, as when we hit the fast part outside (which always feels exhilarating, even though you’re not going so fast), a few rain drops started falling, and they had announced that this might shut down the ride.

I headed back to Mission Space and got in line for Orange. Dugette wasn’t a huge fan of this ride, and didn’t feel like she could handle Orange, so I wanted to make sure I could get through this while she was out of commission.

It was a longish line, but it was worth it. I also hadn’t had a chance to play the Space Race game before, so I took the opportunity to do so. I was playing from the Mission Control station and did a fairly good job. It looked like our team was behind the whole time, but we came through in the end and won!

Afterwards, I called up Dugette again to check on her, sitting on the ledge outside Mission Space, and she was still sick. It was pretty clear she woudn’t be able to join me.

I headed over to Innoventions East, which we hadn’t explored yet. I don’t remember all the exhibits there. The one that sticks in my mind was the Waste Management exhibit, where you go from station to station trying to reduce, reuse and recycle. I don’t think I quite met the goal, but didn’t do too bad on my own.

Dugette definitely wasn’t coming, so time to use the Soarin’ Fastpasses. I think I picked up another on the way in, so I was up to three. I had fun with math on either the first or second time through and determined the following.

With the fastpass, it takes about three minutes to walk from the entrance to the boarding area. Unless you time it right, you are likely to wait about eight minutes in the queue, even with the fastpass. Then, you have eight minutes of preshow. The show itself is, you guessed it, another eight minutes. Walking out, not surprisingly, takes three minutes. So even with a fastpass, one complete cycle is likely to take you thirty minutes. A good fact to keep in mind if you need it, during your touring. I ended up riding Soarin’ twice, then gave the third fastpass away, as it was time to get to Le Cellier. I really love Soarin’. It is such an exhilarating experience, and I always love the part where you smell the oranges.

I headed over to Le Cellier, checked in at the top entrance, then headed down into the lobby, feeling pretty bad that Dugette couldn’t join me. (I had checked in the morning if we could move Le Cellier to another time during the trip, but it wasn’t possible.)

The waiter was pretty sympathetic to my situation. He was quite busy, but good. I had the cheddar cheese soup. I was surprised it wasn’t bright yellow, which is what I had in mind, but it was still delicious. The pretzel bread is great, and even better when dipped in the soup.

For my entrée, I had the filet with the mushrooms, which was goopy, but yummy.

I had the maple crème brulee, which seemed the obvious choice to me, and I thought it was pretty good.

The waiter gifted me with some of the whiskey chocolate cake and extra bread to bring to Dugette, which was extremely nice.

Even though it wasn’t the same without my wife, it was still a delightful dining experience. There’s not too many people there, the ambience is warm and inviting, the service is great, and the food is wonderful. I don’t think I’m going out on a limb claiming that it’s probably the best dining experience at Walt Disney World.

As I headed out, Illuminations was going on.

I didn’t stay to watch, as I was feeling very full, and I wanted to beat the crowd. I think I called my mom on the way out to get some medical advice. I think she told me to get a cot and a medical mask to avoid getting sick. I did not do so, but instead, got my wife some medicine and white bread (the closest thing to saltine crackers) on the way back into Riverside. She was still out when I got back to the room, and wasn’t too excited to see the food I brought. So it was off to bed (with perhaps a bit of downtweeting before my eyes shut).

A bittersweet day, but I tried to make the best of it.

Would Dugette recover? Would I have to spend the rest of the trip in the park myself? Would more dinner plans be dashed?

Stay tuned, for the next exciting episode of the Magic and the Misery!

Oct. 5-12, 2011: Pop Century (View PTR, "The Year of Disney is Over...But We're Going Back Anyway!")
Dec. 10-19, 2010: Poly Club! (View TR, "How the Other Half Lives") In Progress!
Nov. 10-14, 2010: Pop/BCV (View TR, "100 Eats & Drinks in 3.5 Days!")
Aug. 20-22, 2010: ASMu (View TR, "The Last-Minute Super-Bargain Bonus Trip")
June 3-7, 2010: Pop/AKL (View TR, "Star Wars Nightastically Delicious!")
Jan. 16-25, 2010: Poly/WL/POR (View TR, "The Magic and The Misery")
Sept. 9-14, 2009: Pop Century (View TR, "The Prequel")

"Hey, I know a joke! A squirrel walks up to a tree and says, 'I forgot to store acorns for the winter and now I am dead.' Ha! It is funny because the squirrel gets dead."--Dug
Old 04-05-2010, 09:38 AM   #149
A&Bmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug View Post
In between Canada and the UK, I discovered that Off Kilter was getting set up, so I grabbed a good seat. I studied in Scotland for a year in college, and have Scottish and Irish heritage, so bagpipes truly soothe my soul. My tweet captured this pretty well:

“More rock music should be done in kilts and with bagpipes. Off Killter totally rocks my world.”
I love that kind of music too, maybe because I'm from Nova Scotia (latin for New Scotland)

Here are some of my favorites:

MacKeel (group is now broken up. Bummer)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlqb4znnAxo
Cranntara (pls listen beyond the one minute mark, heavy on the pipes and fiddles)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SssdmgtChmU
Heaved Away (tied with Cranntara as my personal fav)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwkKZ...eature=related
Star of the County Down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cTAcGY-ot0
Drunken Sailor

Sons of Maxwell (of United Breaks Guitars fame)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1zibvLvHbk
Oceanside Again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJVSNLTdJWY
Queen of Argyle

Rawlins Cross

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHgPDavGyKE
Reel and Roll (I know Off Kilter plays this bur this is the version I'm used to)

Great update Dug! Can't wait for more.

Me, DH, DD12, DS 19

Last edited by A&Bmama; 04-05-2010 at 09:40 AM. Reason: bad link
Old 04-05-2010, 03:50 PM   #150
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Arrrrrrgg! I did it again. I started reading your trip report back when you started it and then forgot to subscribe! You mentioning you Le Cellier experience in my TR jogged my memory, so I came over here and got all caught up.

Ok, I'm ready now. You may continue.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: