Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2010, 04:59 PM   #61
AnneR
DIS Veteran

Kevin

I don't have any new words to share with you and your family. {{{hugs}}} This has got to be an incredibly difficult time for you.

It is a shame that the balance of our legal system has swung to the point we have to be able to prove that the presence of an illegal substance in a persons system has impaired their driving. Shouldn't the presence of the substance be enough? and taking someone else's prescription?

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

June 2009 POFQ March 2009 POFQ Oct 2008 ASSports Aug 2008 POFQ\CBR
AnneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:06 PM   #62
I Believe In Magic
Mouseketeer

This is terrible!! I am so sorry for you and your family. I know it said charges were dropped but does that really mean he is suffering no punishment? The very first sentence of the article is ridiculous. I can't believe someone would get exonerated for doing such a horrible thing, and to top it off being under the influence of an illegal substance, he is walking free? I will be writing a letter. Stories like this should not be happening. This man is responsible for you losing your dad, he should spend the rest of his life in prison.

I Believe In Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:10 PM   #63
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Kevin, I hope your family considers filing a wrongful death suit.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:11 PM   #64
mikelan6
World Traveler, Usually Optimistic

So much for justice. This is really unexplainable.

I do honestly beleive though that the KILLER will get punished eventually - one way or another.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:16 PM   #65
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy's Old Lady View Post
The article is from July 1985 and states Eagan was 59 years old and has been state attorney for 16 years. This is 2010 and he is still Asst. States Attorney! They should have a term limit - this Eagan guy is 84 years old? He should not still be in that position and he is corrupt - it's nuts!

Kevin I am so sorry that this has happened. The man should be charged and definitely should not have a driver's license! I will write and complain too. I hope someone listens to our complaints.
I was thinking the same thing. Even thinking maybe the 1985 was a typo? How could this guy still be Asst. States attorney for that long and at 84 isn't time to retire already?! Well, most definitely for the people of Florida, it was time a looooooooooooooooong time ago.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:17 PM   #66
Halloweenqueen
Whenever Candle Lights Flicker...

Kevin, this is an outrage.

I think this information needs to be posted on the community section as well. We need to get the word out.

You're family is in our thoughts.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:19 PM   #67
KatheeME
DIS Veteran

I am so sorry and sad to read this Kevin. It not fair at all. I am thinking of you and your family.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:25 PM   #68
KatheeME
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterPete View Post
Maybe this will shed some light on Mr. Eagans unwillingness to prosecute drug offenders who murder innocent civilians with their car while under the influence of drugs.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...ibe-grand-jury
OMG! I am so angry! The more I think about what this means and what it is doing to you Kevin, and your family, I could scream! I will be writing a letter as well.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:41 PM   #69
daneenm
Just call me Pollyanna ...everyone else does!
this is the first time we had tried it
The kitchen is not typically a likely option

Kevin, my heart just breaks for you and your family. Nothing will make you miss your Dad less, but I would guess that there would be some solace in seeing that this man could never cause this kind of pain for another family again. How this can actually be happening is incomprehensible to me.

I am so sorry.
- DLH: 1999, 2008 (Concierge)
- GCH: 2004, 2006 (Concierge), 2009, 2011, 2012

WDW:
- YC Concierge: 7/23/07 - 8/2/07

Wish I could visit more....
daneenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:56 PM   #70
Dian-er
Mouseketeer

I agree, I still can't get my mind around it. I read the article 2 twice & sat back in stunned. The thinking was sooooo convaluted (my spelling is off I think). It makes me very angry. I'm really at a loss for words.
Dian-er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:56 PM   #71
BeamsofLight
One of the 'They' in 'They say it's going to rain'
I do have very comical memories of me flushing

I can't even find the words... that's completely, absolutely sickening. I'm so sorry you and your family are going through this, Kevin.
~ Yearly visits with my parents 81 - 89 (offsite) - Contemporary Dec 07 - CBR May 91, 92, 96, 97, 01 - Aug 98 - Sept 00, 03 - Dolphin Oct 08 - GF Jan 10 - POFQ Sept 02 - Oct 08, 10 - Dec 07, 10 - Polynesian Dec 04 - WL Jan 04 - June 04 ~
BeamsofLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:00 PM   #72
Jacksmom99
Meredith's mom too!!

Kevin, I am so sorry to hear this. What an injustice and an outrage!! I will definitely be writing a letter. I pray that our letters will help in some way so that others don't have to go through this.

Kim
4/90 Off Site~8/96 Honeymoon BC~12/98 HH-1/99 OKW-pregnant~12/99-1/00 Off Site Jack's 1st trip~8/01 OKW & BWV & Off Site ~2/02 HH~8/02 BCV Meredith's 1st trip~11/02 BCV Girls' Weekend w/ Mom~8/03 VWL~8/04 BCV Big Family Trip!~2/05 Off Site-Liki Tiki~8/05 BCV Doherty Grand Gathering~2/06 VWL Just the 4 of Us!!~8/06 BWV 10th Anniversary/No Kids Trip!!!~2/07 OKW~5/07 OKW~8/07 BCV Nana, Mom & Meredith~4/08 OKW w/ Nana & Bampa ~12/08 OKW The X-mas Trip that almost wasn't ~8/09 Gaylord Palms, BCV, Swan Mom's trip with my boy!~CBR DAP 2009!!!!! ~12/09 Christmas @ BLT & OKW ~8/10 VB & OKW ~8/11 OKW 15th Anniversary!!
Jacksmom99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:06 PM   #73
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

My family had numerous discussions regarding this situtation and none of us are coming from a vindictive place.

We are all of the belief that this person should not be behind the wheel of a car. He has shown a pattern of behavior and now someone has died because of choices he has made. Eventually, DAVID LANIER will kill someone else and if there is anything we can do to stop that....we should do it.

My Dad was days away from his 77th birthday and minding his own business. This could have just as easily been a group of kids.

No one should have to feel this way because someone else feels the need to use drugs.

The part of this article that actually hurts to read is this:

"Lanier has been arrested three times before, once for shoplifting and twice on felony cocaine charges, according to FDLE. He was convicted in each case, but judges withheld adjudication so Lanier would not have to admit being a convicted felon, records show."

Because a judge (or judges) felt that David Lanier should not have to admit to being convicted of two felonies...an innocent, healthy 76 year old man died a horrible, unnecessary death.

I keep trying to not be angry but I'm having a hard time getting there.

Thank you all for your support.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:08 PM   #74
corky441

It's not the pace of life than concerns me... it's the sudden stop at the end.

Kevin,

I am so very sorry to hear about this injustice. My heart goes out to you and your Mom

I too will be writing a letter to voice my opinion concerning this unbelievable chain of events.

Stay strong and know that we are all unbelievably saddened by this.

Me & DH(Dino) Kelly K.C. Magoo Emmett
corky441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:12 PM   #75
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

I feel the need to share something else.

My Dad did not step off a curb into oncoming traffic as the article suggests.

My Dad crossed two lanes of traffic, a median, another lane and was about to leave the fourth lane and step into the bike lane. He was less than 3 feet from the sidewalk when he was hit.

This was not carelessness on the part of my Dad. This was David Lanier's fault

This should not have been a surprise to any sober driver paying attention.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: