Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2010, 10:01 AM   #16
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

How horrible! That just makes me sick. It seems like there are several things the state could do to prevent it from happening again to someone else, but they just won't. I'm so sorry you all have to go through all this.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:03 AM   #17
SamSam

DIS Veteran

Kevin, I am so sorry. It is a tragedy that you lost your father that way, then to add insult to injury, they're letting the offender go scott free. He is out there, perhaps still using, AND still driving. Outrageous!!
Old 01-30-2010, 10:04 AM   #18
eeyorethegreat
DIS Veteran

Kevin I am so sorry to hear of this failure of justice. This judge should not even be in his seat. How can anyone with any grain of intelligence claim that drugs taken by this driver did not impair him. Again Kevin I am so sorry that your family have to endure this on top of your Dad's death.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:22 AM   #19
simonkodousek
438 Miles From My Happy Place

Wow. How absolutely ridiculous! This is so infuriating, words can't even begin to describe how I feel about this.

simonkodousek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:31 AM   #20
kafitty
yep, that almost sent snot flying out of my nose

Kevin & family, i am so sorry.

While from a legal standpoint, i *sort of* understand where this judge is coming from, from a COMMON SENSE standpoint, this is absolutely ridiculous.

the likelyhood of a known drug abuser, particularly those kinds of narcotics, being completely sober at almost 9pm is pretty much nil, especially if he had all of that stuff in his car. i don't buy it for a second.

"I believe in naps."
kafitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:33 AM   #21
rocio
DIS Veteran

How sad and frustrating
rocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:35 AM   #22
auroralark
Lives for vacation

Kevin, I really don't know what to say except that I'm so sorry any of this is happening to your family. I think it's outrageous that the charges have been dropped.

Many trips as a kid! Offsite, CBR, Offsite, POR, All Star Sports, Offsite 3x May/June '07 Disneymoon @ BWI *
Sep '07 @ POR * May '09 @ CR * July '09 @ POP!Disneyland! Dec '09 - Jan '10 * Universal! July '10 * Sep '10 @ CSR
Jan '11 @ Poly * Solo! Oct '11 @POR * Feb '12 @ AKL
Our Princess arrived! 7/4/12
auroralark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:44 AM   #23
Belle5
DIS Veteran

Kevin,

I have experienced the pain of sudden loss of my father and brother. One consolation to our family was that if it had to happen--someone hadn't "done it to them". They died of natural causes. Our family agreed that it would be so much more difficult to "get over it" if there was someone who caused their deaths. Someone is to blame for your father's passing and that is just soooo hard to swallow! This is a true injustice and I am so very sorry. God bless you as you try to work through this (and hopefully have the satisfaction of some kind of justice).

Kathy

Belle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:51 AM   #24
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

I will be writing to the courts and commenting on the article when I get home. Xanax negatively effects your ability to drive especially when you first take it as opposed to it being in your system for a few days (the initial dose kicks your butt; after a few you are more stable). Combine that with cocaine and this man could not possibly drive safely. It even says so on the bottle. This needs to be brought back into the court room.

I'm so sorry to hear this. It's as frustrating as Seans near fatal crash a few years ago. An exfriend was driving and under the influence and a speed hog. Sean dud not know he had drank so much and was in the passenger seat and two friends in the back. They rolled over three lanes of the GSP causing two to be ejected. One did not make it. Sean has permanent injuries in his shoulder as a result. The driver never served a day in his life because he was good friends with the cops on the scene and investigating it. It's beyond aggravating.

I'm so so sorry. Keep your chins up.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site

Last edited by *NikkiBell*; 01-30-2010 at 10:58 AM.
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:10 AM   #25
Justin Jett
I will do my Elvis impression at DAP, if Kevin will do a duet with me
I'm signed up and ready to go

Kevin, my friend

I am very sorry about that. I love you very much.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:19 AM   #26
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Reading that article just made me literally sick. It's disgusting that this guy is getting off. Is he not being charged for anything? Please tell me he isn't getting off totally scott free. Were there other charges, like for the drugs and paraphenalia found in his car? Or is he getting a free ride or that too? I will be writing to the State Attorney's office as well.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:25 AM   #27
rtobe
Chocolate, it's not just for breakfast anymore

Kevin, I am sorry you and your family have to go through this. The article is very sad. As others have noted, there are several other possibly chargeable offenses based on what was found in the car (assuming that the officers did the search within constitutional bounds). I hope that enough correspondence to the State's Attorney office brings about change.

to you and your family
Old 01-30-2010, 11:37 AM   #28
two-foxes

Love a man in a suit!!!

Unlike the statewide standard for alcohol intoxication, Florida does not have a definition for cocaine impairment. Successful prosecutions of drug-related DUI cases must rely on police working with a lab that performs quantitative testing to backup the observations of officers who make the arrests, according to interviews with police and toxicology experts.

Yet, there is no plan to do any quantitative testing "for now?" When, then?? It seems a bit sickening this decision to drop charges is being done without quantitative testing to either prove or disprove the levels of cocaine to properly justify this decision.

Kevin, I am sincerely sorry. Proper prosecution and justice of the dirtbag who did this to your father and family will not bring him back, but it perhaps it could have let you sleep a bit better knowing the criminal justice system could have worked and this dirtbag will not be doing this to anyone else. It is a shame the State of Florida can not uphold themselves to the job they are being paid to do.

I wish peace for your family, despite this horrible decision.
two-foxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:43 AM   #29
RutgersAlum
Mouseketeer

Kevin, I have no wisdom to share, just letting you know I, too, agree this is outrageous. I am sorry for the pain they are causing you & your family.

Can't someone *make* them re-test the blood for the amount of cocaine (not like THAT should matter because a logical person would think that ANY in his blood would be enough to deem him guilty...)? Can they get him, as the others suggested, for possession? Or how about for lying to the investigating officer?

I know if I were getting on a bus or an airplane, I would not want to hear that the driver/pilot "only has a little cocaine" in his/her system, but not enough to be an impairment...duh.

I'm so sorry your family is going through this.
Michele/Rutgers

RutgersAlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:48 AM   #30
luke
Señor Mejor

That is an absolute disgrace!!!

Thoughts are with you and your family

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: