Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #46
MM32830
DIS Veteran

Something to consider about the heat & humidity down here in the summer is that it CAN be dangerous if you don't take precautions.

Sunscreen is a MUST if you are going to be outside as well as drinking LOTS of water. Use a little common sense. If you begin to feel nauseous find some shade or, better yet, go inside an air conditioned building.

Summer heat in Florida can be as deadly as the winter cold up north.

Once the sun goes down in the summer (around 8 pm), it is just lovely outside.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:40 AM   #47
jsoren11
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

Sold! Ill meet you at imagination Kathy.
Offsite WDW July,1983 : Disneyland July,1991 : Tokyo Disneyland May,1993 : Tokyo Disneyland / Disney Sea Oct,2007 : POFQ Jan-Feb,2009 DL Travelodge on Harbor Sept, 2010 : DL Hotel Menage on Harbor Sept 2011, Aug 2012
jsoren11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:33 AM   #48
Miss Monorail 1971
Please Stand Clear of the Door

We have been throwing the idea around a lot about moving south especially on days like today when there is no school and we are suppose to get 10 inches of snow. I am not too worried about the heat as I am uprooting DD from all her friends and her great school.
So how are the school systems in the area.
Miss Monorail 1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:35 AM   #49
Miss Monorail 1971
Please Stand Clear of the Door

Oh and I am afraid gators will eat my dogs when they are in the back yard lol
Miss Monorail 1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:38 PM   #50
thesupersmartguy
DIS Veteran

Celebration is the best place to be. Not far from any of the parks and very Disney!

Happily living in Celebration, FL

Recent Trips To Disney:

8/08 YC Club Level Turret Suite and CBR Check Out My Trip Report UPDATED 1/28 with Turret Suite Pics!: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1922686

12/08 DTD Hilton CL and GF RPC Details Here:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2029616
thesupersmartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:43 PM   #51
MM32830
DIS Veteran

We almost bought in Celebration. Even took out copies of the Covenants to read. When we returned 1 week later prices increased $60,000 (you read that right... 60 thousand in one price increase). We bought elsewhere.

Celebration is nice but it is a little pricey.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:27 PM   #52
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Celebration is very nice.

It's no longer owned by Disney.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #53
kaligal
DIS Veteran

I actually looked in Celebration. I didn't think it was all that nice. It's cute - like if you were watching it in a movie, "Oh, how cute," - but the houses are all crammed in there. You'd be right on top of your neighbors.

It'd be great if you're one of those dippy women who want to know everything about everyone. There'd be tons to gossip over. But I don't need to know when my neighbors are arguing and sure as hell don't want to hear it.

Celebration is cute to drive through, but I wouldn't want to live there.
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:56 PM   #54
MainStreetFireman
DIS Veteran

PP: I guess it depends on where you come from...

Having been born and then lived in NYC for the first 22 years of my life, I knew nothing but apartments. Because of that, I grew up with and enjoyed many close relationships with the wide diversity of people that the city has to offer. Proximity to my neighbors was a good thing.

Having since moved to the suburbs in a house, I am in daily interaction with a dramatically smaller and much more "homogeneous" population. I find it much less interesting and far more isolating.

To each their own.

I've been BOOed by iloveeeyore
MainStreetFireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:11 PM   #55
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

Celebration is a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.
safetymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #56
disneydad78
DDC #106
More important its about having some FUN!
We just LOVE its a small world!!;)

since we are on this topic,LOL
we also would like to move to area around WDW. I have looked into celebration,,house to close together and way to $$$. I looked around Davenport also...want to spend around $250-$300 for a house
but here is the deal,
I graduate will be an RN in 2 yrs associates degree ,,my wife is one also.
She has been working in the NICU for 8 yrs and she is also a supervisor Part time over the womans hospital. We have always talked about moving to Disney area when im finished with school. She is worried about taxes, neighborhood dues,,which we dont have in Louisiana, cost of living(we did a website,said we need to make %8 more $$ to have life style we have now in FL) also Florida Hospital (employer),,they way people have talked about them on some websites ,scares us. Pay is weak for such a great area. She gets overtime alot(sometimes 60 hrs a week)heard no overtime at florida hospitals) and she makes (with night dif,charge nurse and weekend dif) right at $43 an hr.she made $120,000 last yr. she is PRN plus and we do have to pay for our own insurance. She said she will not move unless she finds a nursing job with close to or around that pay. does anyone that lives there ,and is an RN tell me if she can ,with her RNC ,she is specialized in NICU care also. Starting RN's here in Alexandria ,Louisiana make around $21-$23 and hr,so my pay would pretty much be the same in Florida for new nurses. But she did say she will go down to $37, no less...
So will my WDW dreams ever come true??
DISDADS member #106
(DD 16)(DS 12)(DS 8)(DW 32)(ME 35)
OffSite ('92) OffSite ('05) BonnetCreek ('07) BonnetCreek ('08) POR ('09) POR ('10) POR MVMCP ('11) POR MVMCP ('12) upcoming POR MNSSHP ('13)
disneydad78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:47 PM   #57
IWISHFORDISNEY
Cant get enough of the mouse!
It was tricky with only one bathroom
I will never ever forget that embarrassing episode of being farted upon

Location: The First State but wishing it was the Sunshine State...

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydad78 View Post
Starting RN's here in Alexandria ,Louisiana make around $21-$23 and hr,so my pay would pretty much be the same in Florida for new nurses. But she did say she will go down to $37, no less...
So will my WDW dreams ever come true??
I just moved and found healthcare pay to be lower in FL than the NE (philadelphia area) About 1/3 less BUT my house was half the cost of the one in DE. Cost of living is def lower for us. My insurance is half. The community dues include trash and lawn maintence so we find it worthy of the cost $50/mo. It is give and take. Write a list of pros and cons and see what works for you. While Celebration is cute I cant see paying those prices. JMHO. My house here was $190,000 which is very inexpensive compared to the northeast.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:49 PM   #58
IWISHFORDISNEY
Cant get enough of the mouse!
It was tricky with only one bathroom
I will never ever forget that embarrassing episode of being farted upon

Location: The First State but wishing it was the Sunshine State...

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetymom View Post
I still feel the magic every time I go. I average 80+ visits a year and it never gets old.
Yeah we still yell we are in Disney every time we cross the gates. No magic lost for us. Only now we can go when the crowds are low and weather is nice. I loved the summer here and didnt find it much worse than DE in July.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:59 AM   #59
PeterPan09
bury my iPod with me, on shuffle, with headphones in my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWISHFORDISNEY View Post
Yeah we still yell we are in Disney every time we cross the gates. No magic lost for us. Only now we can go when the crowds are low and weather is nice. I loved the summer here and didnt find it much worse than DE in July.
I do agree with the podcast team though-the magic doesn't end but it does change. I am very picky about the weather when I go-it has to be just right-not too cold, not too hot, not too sunny, not too windy...rainy is ok, but not too rainy..... And once I'm there, if the lines are over 10 minutes for anything-forget it.

I agree about the summers. I was actually far less miserable here this past summer than I was during MANY summers in NJ.
PeterPan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:07 AM   #60
kbelle8995
DIS Veteran

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Monorail 1971 View Post
Oh and I am afraid gators will eat my dogs when they are in the back yard lol
As long as your home not on a canal you should be okay.

The houses are low in cost right now because our housing industry went bust. There still a lot of foreclosures. South Florida especially Miami is always expensive.

Don't panic over hurricanes just be prepared and use common sense.

In my hometown in south Florida apartments are now over $1,000 dollars a month. And its not even close to Miami.

Oh and please visit some of our wonderful State Parks. There's more here than just theme parks. Although theme parks are fabulous

Last edited by kbelle8995; 02-12-2010 at 08:16 AM.
kbelle8995 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: