Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2010, 03:46 PM   #16
jsoren11
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

OK, no I-4.
I was just curious if anyone on these boards works in the medical field in Florida and knows how the salaries compare to Colorado..
We are looking 5 years out, so it could be completely different than it is now... Wife and I also have toyed with the idea of a company of our own to start and bring to the Orlando area.

What is the area between Orlando and the space coast like? Is it an easier commute into Orlando or is it like Denver, where everything east of town is crap?

The Winter Garden area also has appealed to us so far in our "web" searches.

As far as time to enjoy everything.. We get so depressed living in Denver where everything closes at 7pm for the night, (even on the weekends)!
We would love to be close enough to the parks to just go for a walk or enjoy the magic after work.
Is it fairly reasonable to get into like.. Sea World on a one day Florida resident pass? cheaper than online prices?
we probably wouldnt need annuals for Sea or Busch.
Offsite WDW July,1983 : Disneyland July,1991 : Tokyo Disneyland May,1993 : Tokyo Disneyland / Disney Sea Oct,2007 : POFQ Jan-Feb,2009 DL Travelodge on Harbor Sept, 2010 : DL Hotel Menage on Harbor Sept 2011, Aug 2012
jsoren11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:18 PM   #17
BridetobeDisney
DIS Veteran

We are planning the same thing in five years so thanks for asking this. We are currently 6.5 hours from Disney so we know about hot summers, humidity etc. I wish you the best!!
BridetobeDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:43 PM   #18
MainStreetFireman
DIS Veteran

good luck (and sending you good vibes)!

My DW and I talk about this all the time. The biggest problem is that all of our family lives up here. Beyond that, there is NYC, which we have a love/hate relationship with every day.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know where I would find frank discussion about working for/at WDW? I know there is a CM board. But what about people considering a move or a specific job at WDW? TIA for any help.

I've been BOOed by iloveeeyore
MainStreetFireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:04 PM   #19
WDWtraveler27
Sees a star on a mountainBe Prepared!Must embrace the pink errr magenta
Part of the WDI Cult
No touchy my jar of dirt

that there is a mighty long time from now!
Old 02-01-2010, 12:36 AM   #20
tinkerbelletreasure
Mouseketeer

There is a little town called Apopka outside of Orlando. My exhusband and I spent a long period of time there about6 year sago. We could see the fireworks from where we were staying, but trafficwasn't too bad. I always thought if I decided to move in the area that is the first place I'd try.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:37 AM   #21
jsoren11
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

thanks Tink. Its not really a long time from now in our rapid lifestyles. Unfortunately our years are flying by so fast, 2015 will be here before we even blink. Hopefully we can slow down and enjoy ourselves during our "golden years" in Orlando.
5 years ago, 2005, seems like 5 minutes ago.
Offsite WDW July,1983 : Disneyland July,1991 : Tokyo Disneyland May,1993 : Tokyo Disneyland / Disney Sea Oct,2007 : POFQ Jan-Feb,2009 DL Travelodge on Harbor Sept, 2010 : DL Hotel Menage on Harbor Sept 2011, Aug 2012
Old 02-01-2010, 09:54 AM   #22
PeterPan09
bury my iPod with me, on shuffle, with headphones in my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsoren11 View Post
OK, no I-4.
I was just curious if anyone on these boards works in the medical field in Florida and knows how the salaries compare to Colorado..
We are looking 5 years out, so it could be completely different than it is now... Wife and I also have toyed with the idea of a company of our own to start and bring to the Orlando area.

What is the area between Orlando and the space coast like? Is it an easier commute into Orlando or is it like Denver, where everything east of town is crap?

The Winter Garden area also has appealed to us so far in our "web" searches.

As far as time to enjoy everything.. We get so depressed living in Denver where everything closes at 7pm for the night, (even on the weekends)!
We would love to be close enough to the parks to just go for a walk or enjoy the magic after work.
Is it fairly reasonable to get into like.. Sea World on a one day Florida resident pass? cheaper than online prices?
we probably wouldnt need annuals for Sea or Busch.
My best suggestion is to make a trip here for the express purpose of checking out the areas. Fly down, rent a car with a GPS and check out the areas that appeal to you.

I live close enough to be able to pop over to the parks after work or on a weekend afternoon and I LOVE that. Yesterday I went to EPCOT and MK after church and housecleaning! Still got in a couple rides in each park and a nice dinner. Living here and having an annual pass removes the pressure of having to do everything-if you get in a couple of attractions it's a successful visit.

I'm on the west side of Orlando, so I don't know much about the area btw Orlando and the Space Coast. Remember WDW is west of Orlando as well. If popping over for an evening is a goal, being on the eastern side might not be where you want to go.

Sea World and Busch Gardens have something called a Fun Card. Florida residents pay less than a single day ticket and can use the pass all year.
PeterPan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:02 AM   #23
MM32830
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPan09 View Post
Sea World and Busch Gardens have something called a Fun Card. Florida residents pay less than a single day ticket and can use the pass all year.
The only drawback to the SeaWorld Fun Card is that it does not include parking. Their annual pass does.

I just checked their website and their pricing hasn't changed since I purchased my SeaWorld annual pass last year. You can buy a 1 year SeaWorld AP for $99.95 or buy 2 years for $149.95 (that's only $75.00/year). Those prices INCLUDE parking.

I have APs to Disney, Universal and SeaWorld. I just renewed my Universal AP for $119.95. It includes both the Studios and IOA and includes parking. That's a renewal rate. The first time you buy the AP it will cost more but as long as you keep renewing it, you get a substantial discount off the new rate.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:10 AM   #24
PeterPan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM32830 View Post
The only drawback to the SeaWorld Fun Card is that it does not include parking. Their annual pass does.

I just checked their website and their pricing hasn't changed since I purchased my SeaWorld annual pass last year. You can buy a 1 year SeaWorld AP for $99.95 or buy 2 years for $149.95 (that's only $75.00/year). Those prices INCLUDE parking.

I have APs to Disney, Universal and SeaWorld. I just renewed my Universal AP for $119.95. It includes both the Studios and IOA and includes parking. That's a renewal rate. The first time you buy the AP it will cost more but as long as you keep renewing it, you get a substantial discount off the new rate.

Thanks for that. I only have the Disney AP right now so I wasn't up on the particulars of the other parks. I do want to get one for Universal because I know I will want to see the Harry Potter section when it opens. I'm trying to decide which one to get since they have a couple of different AP options.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:16 AM   #25
MM32830
DIS Veteran

Quote:

The east side of Orlando is beginning to turn into an area that locals are calling "Medical City". The area is expanding slower than expected, mostly due to the credit crunch and the economy. Planned for the next couple of years in East Orlando in Nemours Children Hospital and the VA Medical Center as well as UCF's College of Medicine.

Depending on where you locate in East Orlando will determine the ease of commute, As others have said, I-4 can be a problem at times. I drive I-4 often and the drive can be pleasant but there are times traffic can be heavy.

On the east side of the city we have the East-West Expressway (what the locals call the 408), the Beachline (the 528) and the Central Florida Greeneway (the 417). All carry traffic from east to west (and vice versa). The 417 is the best route to take if it's convenient to where you live since it comes out near Disney. The other two routes require you to take other roads to get you to Disney.

Keep in mind all these roads are toll roads and that can add up if you use them often.

I live on the west side of the city (in Clermont) and use back roads to get to Disney. I can be at Disney in about 30 minutes with just a few traffic lights.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:39 AM   #26
jsoren11

thanks for all the great info. currently my wife and I work for Centura Health which is associated with Adventist Health. We are checking our options as far as transferring down there. That would be the best option. I am a veteran, however, so even the VA would be a good choice for me.
We are so excited to look into everything.
Kissimmee is a pretty nice looking area, kind of west of Celebration, house-price-wise. Bad commute though, Clermont might work.

Last edited by jsoren11; 02-16-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #27
PeterPan09

Quote:
thanks for all the great info. currently my wide and I work for Centura Health which is associated with Adventist Health. We are checking our options as far as transferring down there. That would be the best option. I am a veteran, however, so even the VA would be a good choice for me.
We are so excited to look into everything.
Kissimmee is a pretty nice looking area, kind of west of Celebration, house-price-wise. Bad commute though, Clermont might work.
I live in Clermont too and like it very much.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #28
MM32830
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPan09 View Post
I live in Clermont too and like it very much.

Me too!

Old 02-02-2010, 02:31 AM   #29
Sleepy
I'll have to remember that one
Maybe I should start watching the news

Quote:
What would be the best place to live close and possibly be able to see nightly fireworks in the distance......
Be forewarned that living close to nightly fireworks can take away from the excitement you feel for occasional fireworks. I live near several firework factories. They are tested frequently. In addition, people set off fireworks for every occassion.....weddings, birthdays, etc. New Years Eve makes any 4th of July in America look weak. It is a 360 view of fireworks for no less than an hour. Are the fireworks beautiful? Absolutely. Do they become boring? Absolutely. Now, when we see fireworks, we acknowledge them like someone would acknowledge a cloud in the sky. Just saying this in case you turn down a place you would otherwise have preferred had it not been for the lack of seeing those fireworks.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #30
jsoren11

sorry sleepy, I totally lost track of what you were saying after "nightly". I absolutely love fireworks and could watch them every night forever. Maybe its my A.D.D.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: