Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
jsoren11
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

Moving to Florida assistance thread.

So I need help! Wife and I are Ultrasound Techs in Colorado. We want to move to the magic so bad and finally have decided to do so in 5 years.(we have a plan).
so barring price increases, how much will we spend for 6 kids and ourselves to have annual passes to all three big resorts, (WDW, Uni, SeaWorld)?
What would be the best place to live close and possibly be able to see nightly fireworks in the distance, and also not die in traffic in commute to Orlando every morning?
What are proprty taxes and auto registration fees like in florida?
finally last question.... What would be the best route to take in my life to assure that when I retire from the medical field, I get to spend one day a week running the Dumbo ride as a volunteer, or paid, dont care, just always have wanted this!
thanks podcasters for your help!! I know i'll get the best info here over the next five years cause you all are awesome!!
Offsite WDW July,1983 : Disneyland July,1991 : Tokyo Disneyland May,1993 : Tokyo Disneyland / Disney Sea Oct,2007 : POFQ Jan-Feb,2009 DL Travelodge on Harbor Sept, 2010 : DL Hotel Menage on Harbor Sept 2011, Aug 2012

Last edited by jsoren11; 02-08-2010 at 01:48 AM.
jsoren11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
ratherbeatdisney
Mouseketeer

No.
ratherbeatdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:40 PM   #3
jsoren11
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

no?
jsoren11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:27 AM   #4
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

You will love it in Fl. It sounds like you have a look of research to do before you move. My suggestion keep in mind that you don't want to use I-4 for your daily commute to work. Find someplace to live where you can avoid I-4 during rush hours.
safetymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:21 AM   #5
alebisi
DIS Veteran

I don't live in Florida so I really can't help that much, but I just wanted to say congratulations on that! Sounds like a good plan! I'd love to live in Florida! Let us know how things are working out! Good luck with everything!

alebisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:24 AM   #6
MAGGIED
DIS Veteran

I am jealous!!!!

MAGGIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:18 AM   #7
PeterPan09
bury my iPod with me, on shuffle, with headphones in my ears

I moved a year and a half ago and I don't regret it at all. I lived in NJ for my entire life and gradually my family started heading south. My cousins and aunts went first, then my parents and finally I was up there by myself-spending thousands of dollars a year to come down for the holidays. Finally after Christmas of 2007 I said "I'm not doing this anymore!" put the house on the market and left.

The most important issue is employment. I brought my job with me and worked at home for nearly a year, until my company had layoffs due to the economy. Once I got laid off, I got a fast education in the difference between FL salaries and NJ and how tough it is to find a job here. I have a temp job now, and I will be starting a permanent one in about a month-but at a FAR lower salary than I was making. I advise anyone planning a move to have a reserve savings and be ready to adjust your style of living if necessary-and the best plan is to have a job before you start packing. I second Kathy's comment-stay AWAY from I-4 if at all possible. During peak tourist visiting times you spend your life on that dang highway.

As far as the theme parks, I think the FL resident deals are pretty good. All of their websites list the FL resident costs for passes. Busch Gardens and Sea World seem to give you the most bang for your buck, but I do have a Disney AP and will soon be getting one from Universal.

Location....well, I live in Clermont and if you chose the right neighborhood in my town you can see the fireworks from your house.

Disney hires a lot of retired folks, I've met plenty of them there and some of my parent's friends work there. They love it.
PeterPan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:39 AM   #8
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

I live close enough every night to hear the fireworks. I would have to go up on the roof to see them. I can tell time in the evening by the fireworks.
safetymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:05 AM   #9
PeterPan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetymom View Post
I live close enough every night to hear the fireworks. I would have to go up on the roof to see them. I can tell time in the evening by the fireworks.
I do that too!

Of course, when they change the time it throws me off my schedule...
Old 01-29-2010, 08:30 AM   #10
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

Do the neighbors ever get annoyed at the sound of fireworks every night?
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:51 AM   #11
PeterPan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegal View Post
Do the neighbors ever get annoyed at the sound of fireworks every night?
When I moved down here the rental/real estate agents made it clear if you were close enough to the theme parks to hear fireworks so you know going in. At my place you hear them, but it's a sort of thumping sound, I'm not close enough for the real BANG, BANG, BOOM sound. I'm not sure I'd want to be that close.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:11 AM   #12
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

I would hold off on buying 8 annual passes to every theme park in Florida.

In my first year here...I had a pass for Disney, Pleasure Island, Universal, Sea World etc.

It's not long after you arrive that you realize that living here is not the same as vacationing here. When you live here...you have work, school, laundry, yard work, grocery shopping etc. Life intrudes. Ask yourself a question....how much rime do you have in your current life to devote to something that's just fun. With your current responsibilities.....could you drop everything and run off to a park every day. What about on your day off from work?

I pay about $49 to register my car every year...but that just went up after I registered last year. You have to register your car each year by the last day of the month of your birthday. Mine is April, so I'm niot sure what my new rate will be.

Folks have given VERY VERY Good advice. Try to make absolutely certain that you insure that you do not have to use I-4 during rush hour. I realize that it's hard when you have to find a place to live and a job....but if you can avoid this.....you will have a much happier day. I-4 becomes the worlds longest parking lot.

I'm not trying to discourage you. I LOVE living here.

Oh yeah.....dont mover here in the spring. You dont want your first months in FL to be in 100 degree range.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:28 AM   #13
PeterPan09

[QUOTE=DisneyKevin;35211865]I would hold off on buying 8 annual passes to every theme park in Florida.

In my first year here...I had a pass for Disney, Pleasure Island, Universal, Sea World etc.

It's not long after you arrive that you realize that living here is not the same as vacationing here. When you live here...you have work, school, laundry, yard work, grocery shopping etc. Life intrudes. Ask yourself a question....how much rime do you have in your current life to devote to something that's just fun. With your current responsibilities.....could you drop everything and run off to a park every day. What about on your day off from work?

I pay about $49 to register my car every year...but that just went up after I registered last year. You have to register your car each year by the last day of the month of your birthday. Mine is April, so I'm niot sure what my new rate will be.

Folks have given VERY VERY Good advice. Try to make absolutely certain that you insure that you do not have to use I-4 during rush hour. I realize that it's hard when you have to find a place to live and a job....but if you can avoid this.....you will have a much happier day. I-4 becomes the worlds longest parking lot.

I'm not trying to discourage you. I LOVE living here.

Oh yeah.....dont mover here in the spring. You dont want your first months in FL to be in 100 degree range.[/QUOTE]

Oh YES-very good advice!! I moved in September, and I recommend that time of year highly. It was still kinda hot, but the trend was to get cooler. By the time my first summer came around, I was ready.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #14
jpeka65844
DIS Veteran

Sometimes I wish I had the nerve to just up and move to a new place. Leave all my old stuff behind (not my family, of course....) but all the trappings that make up my life (house, car, posessions). Pack like I'm going on vacation and leave the rest behind.

What a fresh start!!!!

jpeka65844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:06 PM   #15
PeterPan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeka65844 View Post
Sometimes I wish I had the nerve to just up and move to a new place. Leave all my old stuff behind (not my family, of course....) but all the trappings that make up my life (house, car, posessions). Pack like I'm going on vacation and leave the rest behind.

What a fresh start!!!!
It took me YEARS to get up the nerve, and now my only regret was that I didn't do it sooner. I lived all my life in a 10 mile radius from where I was born, except for college. Moving 1000 miles from that was a leap-even though I already had family here.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: