Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
dmoore718
If you think being a firefighter is tough, try being a firefighter's wife

Traveling with 3 small children, question?

My husband and I will be taking our 3 kids ages 5, 4, and 18 months (at time of travel next year) to Disney, by ourselves. So no other adult will be with us. Has anyone every taken 3 small ones to Disney? I am concerned that we will have a problem on rides like Dumbo. Anyone know if you can take 2 small ones and 1 adult on rides like that?

Thanks!!
dmoore718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:07 AM   #2
generic
Earning My Ears

We travelled last year with a 5 yr old, 3 yr old and a 10 month old. Disney is a perfect place for small children. We are returning next week with a now 6 yr old, 4 yr old and 20mth old.

The have parent swap passes at the rides. For those rides that the baby can't go on, one parent can ride with 1 or 2 kids and then when you get off the other parent fast passes in for a ride. (with the children again if you want)

Just ask the CM as you go in for a parent swap. Disney makes it easy for the whole family to enjoy everything.

Enjoy your trip.

7 days and counting for us!
generic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Old 01-29-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
DaniD5
Loving Disney!

Hi there! It's been many years but yes my husband and I have done it with our three when they were small. They are now teenagers.. (Wow time flies when your having fun!)

I agree that Disney is a wonderful place for little ones, just take the time to visit the park and ride guides that they have at the Disney web site and actually various other web sites. They will tell you exactly how many people can fit on each ride, the chile size limits, and recommended intensity for the little ones.

For Mom and Dad's fun, I agree that the parent swap is fantastic!

Hope you and yours all have a blast
DaniD5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
dmoore718

Thanks we can't wait. I also didn't think you can have 3 kids and 2 adults in a value resort but when I researched it on the disney website, it did allow me to, maybe because I'll have 1 infant. I hope so, it will save us about $800.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:56 PM   #6
lovetoscrap
Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there
Please bring back the Gecko and dump the stupid eyeballs
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

I am going to move this to the Disney for Families Board. You will get lots of great advice there.

SCRAPbooking, I love to SCRAPbook. Don't worry, you're not the only one that read it wrong!
*Grand Duchess of Airline Check Ins and Upgrades**Lady In Waiting of The Cheap Boxed Wine Chamber**Grand Princess Royale of Cookieland* Another quality, content-rich post by LTS
lovetoscrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
tzolkin
DIS Veteran

Dumbo is a tight squeeze, but almost everything else can fit 3 in a seat. (My kids prefer the magic carpets, so we haven't done Dumbo recently.)

We are also a family of 5 and always ride 3 and 2 or all 5 in a seat.

Buzz and Toy Story Mania only have two guns to play the game, but 3 can ride together.

The only rides I can think of that only hold 2 are the Indy Speedway and the Barnstormer (don't know if your little one is tall enough anyway)
tzolkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:33 PM   #8
dmoore718

Thanks!! I'm glad to know there are other families of 5 that are able to enjoy Disney. Everyone else I know with 3 kids brought the grandparents. Can't wait.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:44 AM   #9
PrincessTiffany
Is there anything better than Free Dining and Fastpasses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoore718 View Post
My husband and I will be taking our 3 kids ages 5, 4, and 18 months (at time of travel next year) to Disney, by ourselves. So no other adult will be with us. Has anyone every taken 3 small ones to Disney? I am concerned that we will have a problem on rides like Dumbo. Anyone know if you can take 2 small ones and 1 adult on rides like that?

Thanks!!
We have 4 kids and the first time we went they were 2, 3, 4 and 7. It was great, we didn't have any problems. There's no problem putting 1 adult and two kids in any of the Fantasyland ride, that I can think of. Also, since your two older children are 4 and 5, the Rider Swap pass will work out great for ya'll. By the age of 4 our kids could ride pretty much everything except Space Mountain, Expedition Everest, Mission Space and Rockin' Roller Coaster - They even did Tower of Terror and loved it. The Rider Swap is available at any attractions with a height requirement. Just go up to the CM working the entrance and tell them you want to do Rider Swap and they will give you a ticket. Then your husband can ride with the two older children while you wait. Then when he and the children get off the ride, you can go right on the ride through the Fastpass line with the two older children - they get to ride twice. We loved Rider Swap when the children were small.
PrincessTiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:02 PM   #10
dmoore718

Great advice!! Thanks!! Now that we are a family of 5, it seems a little more involved. Although, I did confirm we can stay at Pop since we have 1 infant..saving us lots of money we can put towards dining.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #11
cmaee
DIS Veteran

Our first trip our kids were 5, 4, and 15 months. We had a blast. Almost all the rides we rode 2 and 3 on. We were only there for 4 days and that was no where long enough. The best part about taking a child under the 40" mark is the rider switch. Our older kids get to ride the ride twice for the wait time of 2 fastpasses. We love that. There are some nice play areas for kids while you are waiting. My DD spent a ton of time in the play area near Splash Mtn and BTMR. I would suggest getting a double stroller. I know that you might think having a stroller for a 5/4 year old is silly, but it is so nice to be able to just put the older kids in the stroller, hoist your youngest child onto your shoulders and walk through a crowd and not worry about losing anyone.

We had so much fun that we started planning our return trip the next year on our way home. Enjoy getting to stay at the Values in 1 room for as long as you can. I wish we had tried the All-Star Movies or Pop Century our first year, but we didn't. Now that our DD is 3, we are stuck staying at Port Orleans-Riverside or a deluxe in a regular room. (I say stuck, but it really isn't a hardship ). The cost of a room at PO-R is so expensive over Spring Break (Easter) that we are staying at Fort Wilderness in a pop-up and are saving over $1000. I know camping isn't for everyone, but I would rather camp at WDW and go every year than stay at PO-R and go every other year.

Spring 1995 - Magical Mickey Music Days March 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside April 2009 (Easter) - Coronado Springs
August 2010 - Beach Club
December 2010 (Christmas) - Pop Century December 2012 - Pop Century
cmaee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:51 PM   #12
mfulk
Mouseketeer

We went on our first trip to Disney last May for 8 days with a 4 year old, 2 year old and 5 month old. We brought my mom because we though we'd need her help but we actually didn't. We enjoyed her company but would have been fine without her.

The only problem I could think of is if both parents want to be on a ride at the same time as the two older kids, like the teacups, where the baby wouldn't be allowed. I was pleasantly surprised by how many rides our 5 month old in an Ergo baby carrier was allowed on. They even let us take her on several rides at Typhoon Lagoon.
mfulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:38 PM   #13
MandM-Mom
DIS Veteran

We do it by ourselves with 3, never had a problem on any of the rides and we are pooh size parents.

Tags
3 kids, rides

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: