Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2010, 03:59 PM   #16
wdwluvrs
DIS Veteran

Shannon, We are enjoying your trip report the commentary and photos are great brings back memories of our last stay at the Beach Club. We have never stayed Club Level might just have to try it, you can always try the kitchen sink at Beaches and Cream. we enjoy the Cape May clam bake too. You'll be on your cruise just before us
90 Contemporary
91 Polynesian
92-95-96 Port Orleans French Quarter
97-98-2000 Beach Club
2003 Disney Wonder and Beach Club
2006 Disney Magic western and Polynesian
2008 Disney Magic eastern and Polynesian
2010 Disney Wonder Western and Port Orleans French Quarter
2012 Disney Fantasy Western and Port Orleans French Quarter
wdwluvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:38 PM   #17
my3sonstx
Mouseketeer

I love your TR! Although it is making me want to stay at the Beach club after our cruise more and more
my3sonstx is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2010, 10:33 PM   #18
ariel1025
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyAngelic View Post
Hi
I am also guilty of writing "make a packing list" on my "to do list" Today I went through our cruise clothing in the suitcase to check what we have already .... and we still have 8 months to go

Love the photo with Aladdin and Jasmine
Sometimes I swear I have a sickness The sad part of it .... I won't even let my husband help me because I'm worried that it won't get done "right"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwluvrs View Post
Shannon, We are enjoying your trip report the commentary and photos are great brings back memories of our last stay at the Beach Club. We have never stayed Club Level might just have to try it, you can always try the kitchen sink at Beaches and Cream. we enjoy the Cape May clam bake too. You'll be on your cruise just before us
Thanks for joining along I'm glad to hear you have good memories from your stay at Beach Club - we are always slightly worried when staying at a new hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sonstx View Post
I love your TR! Although it is making me want to stay at the Beach club after our cruise more and more
Thank you so much! When is your cruise?
ariel1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:49 PM   #19
ariel1025
DIS Veteran

This, That and The Other .....

Well, today has brought a little bit of some bad news

I have been getting so paranoid about the price of the cruise going up before we have a chance to book it, so I am constantly checking the website. You see, we are using our DVC points but that only covers one of us so we have to pay for the second person. Again, not the best use of points to most, but it's what we want and we won't be able to use any other points this year because the remainder of our vacation hours will be used traveling home for my Sister's wedding this fall

Anywho.... I looked up the prices this morning and saw that there are no longer any category 7 (navigator's verandah) rooms available It figures, considering we were going to be able to book it on Thursday. Candi is trying to tell me to be positive, that when I call on Thursday there will be one available. However, I am in freak out mode and am now weighing the odds on what to do. Part of me says just downgrade a level and do a window room. Problem is, Candi said he only wanted to do cruise if we could get a verandah. We had one last time and he is convinced he will miss it dearly if we don't get it this time. We actually have enough points to upgrade to a category 6 (regular verandah) room, but that poses two problems.

First, that means we will have to pay more for the cash portion of the cruise. Second, that also means we don't have the points available to book the value studio at AKL after the cruise. Which then leads to my next stress factor .... do we go home directly after the cruise OR pay more money to book a room in cash

The good news ... this inspired me to get a jump start on item number 6 on my "to do" list - create our vacation budget. I have made two versions - one where we go deluxe all the way .... club level room before, category 6 on the cruise and deluxe hotel afterwards. The other budget was the opposite - downgrade to a level 8 on the cruise, don't stay club level before the cruise and stay at a moderate after the cruise. Don't get me wrong, I know we will end up meeting in the middle on this but this leaves me with so many choices

So... first call for help to all of you .... which moderate resort do you recommend?

Any and all input is much appreciated

Alright, well I'm sorry folks but I am dog tired and that is really all I have for an update tonight

Magical Memory Of The Day:

At my friend's wedding right before ours - this was our last dance together before we became Husband and Wife
Old 02-02-2010, 03:15 PM   #20
Beachbumpirates
Mouseketeer

Tell Us More!

Loving it so far! My 2 cents - cruising DCL without a verandah is not like cruising other lines without a verandah. While we could not live without it on any other line on Disney we can be just as happy in an oceanview. I do need to ask about the Beach Club Club level picture.....is that recently? We stayed CL there last April and it looks bigger and a bit different. Would love to know if they have refurbished it. Thanks and cant wait to hear more!
Old 02-03-2010, 07:55 AM   #21
croppincolburn
DIS Veteran

We stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort. It is nice but spread out. There is more than one pool. Food can be far away. I don't have DVC. Can you stay there? I'd consider an ocean view stateroom. Good luck when you go to make your reservations!
Old 02-03-2010, 09:55 AM   #22
pmama
DIS Veteran

Enjoying your PTR. One suggestion I have is that if you find the category you are interested you save it on the DCL website. They will save your category and cruise for I think 10-15 days. You can then book and have 5 days to pay your deposit.
pmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:09 PM   #23
ariel1025
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbumpirates View Post
Loving it so far! My 2 cents - cruising DCL without a verandah is not like cruising other lines without a verandah. While we could not live without it on any other line on Disney we can be just as happy in an oceanview. I do need to ask about the Beach Club Club level picture.....is that recently? We stayed CL there last April and it looks bigger and a bit different. Would love to know if they have refurbished it. Thanks and cant wait to hear more!
From what I've read the Beach Club CL has been refurbished. I got the picture off of allears, but when I was reading the thread about Beach Club on the resorts board it stated it was re-done.

Thanks for the feedback about the ocean view

Quote:
Originally Posted by croppincolburn View Post
We stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort. It is nice but spread out. There is more than one pool. Food can be far away. I don't have DVC. Can you stay there? I'd consider an ocean view stateroom. Good luck when you go to make your reservations!
On DVC you can actually stay there but it's not a good value for points. However, we aren't using our points to stay since we will be out of points for the year from the cruise. We will be paying in cash and a moderate is the most we can afford

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmama View Post
Enjoying your PTR. One suggestion I have is that if you find the category you are interested you save it on the DCL website. They will save your category and cruise for I think 10-15 days. You can then book and have 5 days to pay your deposit.
Thank you for joining and thank you SO much for the suggestion I will definitely keep that in mind for the future!
Old 02-03-2010, 06:44 PM   #24
ariel1025
DIS Veteran

Carefree at Castaway Cay

Our first "land day" of the cruise will be at Castaway Cay - which we LOVED last time!

The itinerary has us docking at Castaway Cay at 8:30 am, but don't have any real plans for this day as far as excursions or anything go. The plan is to sleep until our "internal alarm clocks" wake us up and then grab some food. If we wake up early we will get breakfast - either at the buffet or if one of the sit-down restaurants is open we will go there. Then again, maybe we will just order room service If it is too late to eat breakfast, we will grab a quick snack to hold us over until lunch time.

We will definitely put aside some time for snorkeling

However, since we are going to be going to Castaway Cay twice we decided it was a better value for us to buy our own snorkel gear. It comes out to slightly more than renting the gear twice, but this way it will be ours and we will have it for future cruises <-- look at that positive thinking Plus, I'm a little weird when it comes to putting my feet into something that somebody else's feet were already in. I know they clean them and all, but feet just weird me out

I have been looking around for the best deal and I am madly in love with this set

It's SO pretty!! And don't worry - it comes in blue for Candi

We are also thinking about renting an aquatrike sometime during the day as well. I think they look super fun - plus we can get a little bit closer to

We are both HUGE fans of the "Pirates" movies, so this is cool to us in the "we are such great big dorks" sort of way

Whenever we get hungry we will grab lunch from Cookie's or the food place at the adults only beach.

Which leads me to the second area ya'll can help me with - Is there a difference in the food they serve at the two food places on Castaway Cay?

It looks like we are scheduled to leave Castaway Cay at 4:30 pm which gives us a pretty full day there. However, we do not have any other plans here. The "non-plan" is to relax and hang out all day, doing whatever sounds good at the moment.

Of course, we will be having dinner that night. Possibly at Tritons??

This was Candi's least favorite restaurant the last time, he didn't mind the food but he always thought it had a weird smell in there. We ate there twice and he said it was there both times, but to be honest, I really don't remember.

Other than dinner I'm not sure what we will be doing this night. Some options (which are also some repeats of cruise day one) are:

* Playing a game of BINGO
* Watching a movie in the theater
* Ordering a bunch of yummy snacks from room service and hanging out on the verandah (if we decide to get one)
* DVC presentation (if there is one) <-- I am hoping they will be showing the new Hawaii resort and its progress

And that pretty much sums up Day 2! No real plans, no worries, no cares!!!

Have a great night everyone!!!
Old 02-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #25
disneydawgs4
Mouseketeer

Great TR so far....

....we will be on the same cruise as you guys and we will be staying at Beach Club before as well! How cool! We have never stayed there either, we are stuck on the Polynesian, but are looking forward to something different.
Our DS and myself will be celebrating our birthdays as well. how fun! May is a great month! Look forward to reading more of your plans and hope you got the stateroom you wanted on the cruise!
Old 02-06-2010, 10:03 AM   #26
ariel1025
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydawgs4 View Post
....we will be on the same cruise as you guys and we will be staying at Beach Club before as well! How cool! We have never stayed there either, we are stuck on the Polynesian, but are looking forward to something different.
Our DS and myself will be celebrating our birthdays as well. how fun! May is a great month! Look forward to reading more of your plans and hope you got the stateroom you wanted on the cruise!
Well you know what they say .... "great minds think alike" We figured that the Beach Club was the perfect pre-cruise hotel
Old 02-06-2010, 01:03 PM   #27
ariel1025
DIS Veteran

Crossing 'Em Off & Adding Some More

Ya'll remember this little list right?

Mickey Boat To Do List:

1. Book the Cruise <-- yeah, yeah, I know, but we went over this 'member?
2. Book our night at Beach Club
3. Decide if we are going to go Club Level or not
4. Make breakfast reservation at Cape May if needed
5. Find out what time the Cruise bus will pick us up
6. Make our budget
7. Put the rest of the money in savings
8. Book flight to Orlando
9. Book flight home
10. Book one night at AKL value studio with DVC points for night after cruise
11. Buy Passporters Disney Cruise book
12. Make packing list <-- yep, I am so sick that I put "make a list" on my "to do list"
13. Get swimsuit ready AKA lose weight (Candi goal: 30 pounds; Shanz goal: 15 pounds)
14. Start back up on Weight Watchers!!
15. Candi - get time off request approved <-- minor detail right
16. Cancel previous trip
17. Cancel previous meal reservations
18. Give A Day, Get A Day volunteer opportunity <-- park ticket for day AFTER cruise
19. Get answers to all my cruise questions <-- that's where ya'll can help me out
20. Change name on passport (haven't done it since we got married )
21. SHOPPING - after we meet goal weight, or come as close as possible
22. Buy Disney gift cards in the amount of our excursions <-- foolproof way that we will definitely have that money - no chance of money drama this time!!
23. Book excursions
24. Book Palo reservations <-- hoping for dinner and brunch
25. Make Magnets for stateroom door
26. Book room at CSR for after the cruise
27. Book cruise bus to and from hotels

Alright, alright - it looks just a tad different. That's because - WE GOT SOME STUFF ACCOMPLISHED

Let's take a look shall we? I mean, I know ya'll are dying to know the details. Ok, Ok, maybe not, but it sure does make me feel good

1. Book the cruise - Checked that off of the list as of this morning! They did not have the category 7 we were crossing our fingers for. However, they quoted me for the category 6 and it only came out to $80 more - SAY WHAT???? Yep, I booked that baby right up! Online it was a difference of $300!

3. Decide if we are going to do Club Level or not - Welp, we kept going back and forth on it and in the end we decided it wasn't worth the money. We love the idea of feeling all VIP, but the money saved will go towards upgrading our park tickets to park hoppers for our one day after the cruise. We have nicknamed that portion of our vacation "Around The World In A Day"

4. Make breakfast reservation at Cape May if needed - Since we are not doing the Club Level we decided to go ahead and make a breakfast reservation. In the honor of "relaxing and taking it easy" the reservation is not until 10 am. Hold on, hold on ... don't we have to board the cruise boat around that time? Oh yeah, did I forget to mention we are now arriving TWO days before the cruise Now, I know what ya'll are thinking - a repeat of the tiring honeymoon fiasco. Don't worry - it's not. We still are not going to the parks before the cruise and it's only because the flight is priced at a whole lot cheaper for the day before we planned on leaving. So our Cape May reservation is actually for the morning BEFORE the cruise. For the day of the cruise we are just going to grab something easy at the quick service place!

10. Book one night at AKL value studio with DVC points for night after cruise - Ok, this isn't actually done but has to be crossed off. Since we upgraded one category for the cruise we no longer have enough points to do this

13. Get swimsuit ready AKA lose weight (Candi goal: 30 pounds; Shanz goal: 15 pounds) - Although not completely done I am proud to say that I have lost 3 pounds and that only leaves 12 to go. Candi on the other hand has lost 10 pounds

14. Start back up on Weight Watchers!! - This would be the reason we have lost the weight we have. Though I will admit we haven't be completely faithful to it and tend to "fall off the bandwagon" on the weekend

16. Cancel previous trip
17. Cancel previous meal reservations - Both were completed while booking the cruise!

22. Buy Disney gift cards in the amount of our excursions <-- foolproof way that we will definitely have that money - no chance of money drama this time!! - Ok, also not completely done - still waiting on that winning lottery ticket However, I have purchased a gift card to cover renting both the kayak and the aquatrike

25. Make Magnets for stateroom door
26. Book room at CSR for after the cruise
27. Book cruise bus to and from hotels

These are all things that I have now added to my "to do" list. I have started saving graphics that I like for our cruise magnets but I need to print them. A great big thanks to all the talented people on the cruise magnet design thread

Whew - I must say I feel quite proud of myself and very accomplished

Doesn't it just scream Disney?

I will probably be back later today to do another update for our day at Nassau. If not, I hope you all have a fantastic weekend!!
Old 02-06-2010, 03:57 PM   #28
ariel1025
DIS Veteran

Turning A Bad Experience Into A Good One

Our Second port of Call is Nassau. According the current itinerary we are scheduled to arrive at 9:30 am.

We are actually planning on booking an excursion for this day so I'm not sure what time we will have to wake-up. I still have a little less than a month before I can book our excursions and it's driving me crazy

If you recall, I mentioned that on our honeymoon we had an absolutely horrible time at Nassau. We had booked the historical tour at the request of my Husband - he is a major history guy! Leading up to the trip we were super excited about this particular excursion. It promised a visit to castles and forts and Queens staircase and much more. Well, we did visit the queens staircase and one castle and one fort ... however, upon visiting these sites we rushed through them in 15 minutes or less and then dropped off at various flea markets for 30 or more minutes at the end of each stop. Needless to say we were fuming mad by the end

This year our only plan is to go visit Atlantis on Paradise Island

At the top of the fort we visited this was our view and we wished more than anything that we would have been there instead.

We are currently trying to decide between these three excursions:

* Atlantis Aquaventure - includes a guided tour of the aquarium, a wristband for access to the awesome looking waterpark and transportation to and from the port ($160.00 per person)

* Atlantis Beach Day - tickets to the aquarium w/o a tour guide, voucher for lunch and transportation to and from the port ($82.00 per person)

*Discover Atlantis - guided tour of the aquarium and transportation to and from the port ($52.00 per person)

With each of these excursions you also have the opportunity to visit the beach, the shops, the casino etc.

Here's where the dilemma comes into play. I am a HUGE fan of waterparks - love 'em, can't get enough of 'em. however, $160 per person OUCH - that hurts the wallet a bit. So, that is causing us to reconsider the Aquaventure excursion. Then there's the beach day, which is what we are more leaning towards right now. We love the idea of the aquarium being "self guided." As noted earlier, I don't like being told how long to spend where and what to look at. Plus, it kills a wanna be photographer like myself to not be able to take as many pictures as my heart desires before moving on The last option, Discover Atlantis, we of course like because it is the least expensive. However, we once again are stuck with the aquarium being a guided tour

Help again please - anybody ever done any of these excursions? What are your thoughts? Any pictures you can share? Thanks!

It appears that we are docked in Nassau until 7:00 pm, so that gives us a good, solid day there. I'm not sure how long we will spend on Paradise Island, but the plan is to go back to the ship after we are bored there. It looks like there are plenty of shops and such there so I don't think it will be necessary to hit any of the shops on the "main island."

Once we return to the ship, the plans are same as before. Decide what we feel like doing and go from there. Since, we now know that we definitely will have a verandah I think some room service while watching the sunset and ocean pass by are definitely in order Might hit up some late night activities since the next day will be a sea day and we can most definitely sleep in.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:27 PM   #29
pmama
DIS Veteran

Yeah for booking the cruise. Sounds like your plans are really coming together.
pmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:44 PM   #30
DisneyCruiser83
You jump, I jump, Jack!

Great report so far! I would have gone for the verandah, too. Great choice! For Atlantis what you can do is, rent a room at the Comfort Inn and Suites. It is less expensive than the Disney excursion, and you get full access to the waterpark, aquarium, beaches, etc. There is more information under the FAQ sticky on the main page. Just scroll down to excursions; Nassau. I think you asked before what time the Disney busses get to port... it's around 1PM. You will get there and pretty much walk right on the ship!

"The sea is His for He made it and His hands formed the dry land." Psalm 95:5

Last edited by DisneyCruiser83; 02-07-2010 at 05:52 PM.
DisneyCruiser83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: