Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
Sandy321
Crazy enough to want to do another Half Marathon!
If it were all about me? - I'd go with the Princesses!!

Another Miracle (or 2, or 3) Disney Marathon on ICE! WISH team did it again!

I know I'm late to start this trip report - I have good reasons (otherwise known as excuses!!)

Cast of Characters:
ME! A too old, too heavy, hater of running, but lover of Disney
DH - married me in... 29 years ago... we started dating 5years before that!
DD - 13. SHE's 13 but she asked to do the Norway Princess breakfast!
at home:
DS #1 - 24 newly married - well almost a year - we tried to talk them into this marathon weekend...
DS #2 - He puts up with us, he's 21 and is our miracle

Here we are

at DS #1 Graduation its been awhile

Back Story:
In '08 DH and I took our first couples only trip - of course it was on the condition I run 13.1 miles we stayed at Beach Club Villas, and we missed DD...
Then in '09 DS #2 went down to Uof I early - something happened... we do know he had a bump on his head. We do know he was admitted to the hospital in Champagne IL with memory loss... (he couldnt read or write either!) after a few tense days, he was released and the social worker on our "exit interview" asked us all to set some goal...

DISNEY 2010 MARATHON WEEKEND!!

works for me!!

Only THIS time I'm going to finish - officially - and THS time I'm going to be 20# lighters... or so I wanted....
Old 01-26-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
Sandy321

So I know I didnt take '08 seriously as far as training went...

THIS time was going to be different!!

I was going to stick to a training routine...

and I was going to make this fun too!

and I stayed on the Disboards. started a pre trip report - and I had people following me

I also found out on another Disney board there was going to be another Half runner - and there was at least 4 others that were going to meet - most importantly Happy Camper, Deb... from Houma LA, she and I just had a special connection. Her husband passed away 8 months ago, and together, they were Disneyaholics!! I couldnt wait to give her a real life hug - I made all my plans knowing she'd be with us!!

In my pre trip reported I posted pictures from the park where I run

Christmas came - and the other board had a Gingerbread man we had to take with us -

so much for the weight loss plan...

Somewhere around Thanksgiving - I hurt my hip... seriously DH told me it was some kind of long name bursitis thing - and I worked some PT on it...
but the running was out of the question...

At Christmas... I knew it would take a minor miracle to get me to the finish line.

I cried.

DS said. "mom, that's it, I'm calling Keith, and you are going to see him"

Keith is DS' friend, and is a chiropractor.

DH is out of work. Has been since August. How are we going to justify THIS trip?

everything was paid for in July - except for food, and spending money. I spent half of my substitute pay putting money in Disney Dollars... then Disney Dollars went kaput... along with DH's job...

A Miracle is needed.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2010, 10:06 PM   #3
cmp1111
DIS Veteran

Wow, all you runners have my complete admiration. I do the treadmill, maybe 3 miles at a time, but...

And, I'm ALWAYS happy to see Illinois references. I'm a born and bred Champaign County girl and a U of I alum as well. I hope your son is well.

Can't wait to hear more!
Old 01-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
dislvr74
Mouseketeer

Hey I recognize the location of that first picture! I didn't realize that your oldest went to school here.

Let me mention for the umpteenth time that you should do the Illinois half marathon.

I'm excited to read your report!
Old 01-28-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
dismagiclover
Mrs. Darling: Mom to Wendy, John & Michael

I'm here! And I want to hear all about the trip (and the race) from your perspective!
Old 01-30-2010, 01:49 PM   #6
Sandy321

sorry for the slow start - I havent uploaded my pictures yet. Bronchitis has hit our family, dh, dd and I are all on the mend now tho!!

In our Lutheran Church, members write daily devotions for our Lenten Devotion Book, I knew I should include a trip report - so here is the beginning...

Psalm 46:10 Be Still and know I am God.

This verse is so comforting, and so hard to do! To Believe and Trust God, to Let Go and
Let God… Be Still and know I am God.

Jan ’09 we had a family crisis involving our middle son, head injury, hospitals, rehab. (There many times throughout that I relied on Psalm 46:10.) One of the Social Workers talking to us suggests we each find a goal, and work towards something, to keep our mind focused on “other things”.

In Jan ’08 we went to Disney for Marathon Weekend. I however did not accomplish the Half in the official allotted time, and so I wanted to go back and be “official”. Tim and I looked at each other, smiled and said “Marathon Disney 2010!”

I trained, and focused. I joined a support group, I started a support group.

The week before we were to leave, the weather reports started to include snow. Then, the night before, blizzard like conditions. *Sigh… maybe we should’ve went out of Midway? Be Still and Know that I am God. Maybe its God’s way of saying we shouldn’t have planned a Disney trip. Be Still and Know I am God.

4am. The alarm sounds. We turn on the TV 30% of United Flights have been cancelled. We’re flying American. We take the train to O’Hare, that was a blessing…no one had to drive in this mess because of our "vacation". We look out over the snow-covered roads; the fog seems to be getting stronger? Be Still. We get to O’Hare; our flight is listed as on time. We go through all the security, and to the gate. Gate Change. We take pictures and call friends. You cannot see across the terminal, but flights are leaving. Planes are being de-iced. Our flight has a gate change. Now we are watching a CNN special on the weather that is socking in airports all over… and you look out the window and see a sea of snow blowing… not much else. They call us onto the plane! We sit and wait. Can it be? Our plane is now getting its de-icing. We are moving to a runway. Seriously? You STILL cannot see beyond your hand! Lift off.
Maybe this is God’s way of telling us we were supposed to go to Disney!

Be Still and know I am God.

I do wish the Church would allow me to include pictures!!
Old 01-30-2010, 01:50 PM   #7
Dolce27
It's kind of hard to ride with someone when your on vacation by yourself
I knew that impulsive decision would come back to haunt me!

Editing: I've now actually read your start. Oh-my-gosh! That picture out of O'Hare! No one would have been able to drag me on a plane in that situation due to my phobia of flying! I'm so thankful that you guys escaped Chicago alright.

Last edited by Dolce27; 01-30-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:05 PM   #8
joyfulnet
Earning My Ears

Hi,

I'm new to DISboards, and Jenny's 1/2 marathon thread was one of the first threads I read... came over here from there. SO excited to read about your trip. I admire all of you so much for setting a marathon goal and doing it.

Emily
Old 01-31-2010, 09:11 AM   #9
natale1980
"When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me!"... Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I really enjoyed your first TR, so I'm here for this one!
I'm very jealous that you did the 1/2... not a bad jealous... more like a 'I want to be as cool as you' jealous. In other words, You Motivate Me.

-nat
Old 01-31-2010, 10:18 AM   #10
topdog
DIS Veteran

I am here.

I always wanted to try the marathon but I don't think my knees can take it any more. I did the Relay for Life 3 miles walk twice last year and that was quite physical for me already.

Sorry to hear about your DS's incident. I hope everything turns out okay.

I flew out of O'Hare a couple of times. Another huge airport. Compound with the wind, I would think twice before flying out of O'Hare during snow season.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:03 AM   #11
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

Beautiful start, Sandy! Just amazing how God worked out everything for you to do this- to be faithful to what you commited to AND to receive the very Great Reward of Him who gives to all He loves!!

That weather looked downright nasty!! I can't believe you were able to even take off in that!

Very excited to see how everything lined up for you to be a champion!

P.S. I didn't want to lose you as one of the regulars on our PTR! I put a new link in my siggie to point the way to the new part of of our Strangers thread. Come on over and say hi!!

Old 02-05-2010, 09:01 PM   #12
Dolce27
It's kind of hard to ride with someone when your on vacation by yourself
I knew that impulsive decision would come back to haunt me!

Hey Sandy. Anymore updates?
Old 02-06-2010, 12:53 PM   #13
eyor44
DIS Veteran

Hello, I found you. Can't wait to read the rest. Glad you are all getting over being sick. Not that you were sick, just happy that you are getting better.

PS - I just got the "Disney Marathon on Ice"! Love it! Perfect description!
Old 02-08-2010, 06:28 PM   #14
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

I didn't know you'd started the TR! I'm here now.

**NEW TR** S.O.C.K. and Stitch Return to the World with a Dog
Old 02-17-2010, 10:55 AM   #15
eyor44
DIS Veteran

Sandy????? Not here either..... Now where has she gone?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: