Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2010, 08:34 AM   #1
Lisadaa2
Mouseketeer

Please Help Me Choose

I am new to this. I have only stayed on property once at AKL and LOVED it! We are going back the week after Thanksgiving. Can't wait!! Thinking about saving some money this time and going with one of the moderates. Which one is the most fun for D3 and S7 and still enjoyable for adults? Is it worth splurging alittle for WL since it will be Christmas time and I have heard that it's beautiful at that time? Is WL fun for kids this age?
Thanks for the help!!!
Lisadaa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:50 AM   #2
LindaR
DIS Veteran

There are so many wonderful resorts with great themes, it IS hard to choose! But YOU have to be the one to decide based on your needs, and your tastes.

For example, I despised AKL. Ok....cool, lots of people love that place and that's cool, too!

I have stayed at POR and POFQ numerous times. Love them. CBR once....it was ok. Never at CSR because we are from the southwest and want a different "look" than what we have at home! We've stayed at a few different deluxes over the years also.

For us (dd21 and me) we choose a resort based upon what my budget is, what our mood is, what kind of trip (relaxing=more resort time, lots of parks=just need bed/bathroom) AND which resorts have discounts!

I would honestly have to say that POFQ is our favorite moderate. We've stayed there more often than any other resort.

Have fun!
LindaR is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2010, 09:25 AM   #3
MMrules
DIS Veteran

We are fans of CBR because of the pirate theme (and Nemo). I have 2 sons so we stayed in the Pirate rooms...great themeing!!!!Also the pool area is fantastic for little ones. The big pool is zero entry which is easier with children and the kiddie pool was a pirate theme, but was so much fun, the kids didn't want to leave. Plus there are beaches to build sand castles on and play areas for the kids. There is a lot of wildlife (birds, rabbits, turtles, ducks) that my kids loved too. I have stayed at AKL and also loved it so i know why you fell in love with that resort. Check out the CBR site pics on here to see if it may be something you are interested in. Also feel free to message me and I would love to help with any questions you may have. Good luck choosing!
MMrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

While we have never stayed in a deluxe resort, we have stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort four years in a row and loved everything about it.

The rooms at the CBR are slightly larger (340 square feet) than the other moderates (314 square feet). The rooms have been redone with either a slight Nemo theme (no extra charge) or a full blown pirate themed room (extra charge). At the CBR, you pay a little extra and you are guaranteed a preferred location room near Old Port Royale (main pool, food court, store, arcade, etc.). I feel that the walking distance/time is greatly exaggerated. I actually timed my walk from Trinidad South (the furthest village from Old Port Royale) and it took me 6 1/2 minutes and that was walking at a leisurely pace and taking pictures along the way.

There is plenty of storage space in the CBR rooms.....a dresser, nightstand, large drawer beneath the bench, a hat/peg shelf, closet rod and shelf and under the double sink storage. You can separate the bedroom from the sink area by simply pulling a privacy curtain. With the price of a moderate room, we also have a fridge, coffee maker, iron and ironing board.

The resort theme of the CBR is what keeps us going back time and time again. We love the tropical/beach atmosphere. Each village has their own white sand beach complete with hammocks and beach chairs. Some beaches even have small playgrounds for the little kids. Located right near each village quiet pool are laundry facilities should you need them.

The main pool has been completely redone, has zero entry, two slides and has a pirate theme. For the kids, there's a separate play area with a large pirate ship and bucket that dumps water on the kids underneath it. For the adults, you'll find two hot tubs and plenty of lounge chairs.

Just outside Old Port Royale, there are plenty of umbrella tables. And, there's Banana Cabana, the pool bar. We have watched the higher Epcot fireworks from many areas at the CBR including this seating area.

Should you decide to spend some down time at the resort, you could rent a surrey bike, bicycle or one of the many types of watercraft they have at the CBR marina. Also at the marina is a pool table. If you have a runner/walker in your family, there's a 1.4 mile promenade around the resort lake. The island in the middle of the lake is a nice place to have a picnic and you'll also find a couple of hammocks and more seating there.

The food court offers a variety of foods to choose from including pizza, pasta, fresh tossed salads, pre-made sandwiches, fresh fruit, baked items, rotissiere chicken, veggies, hot dogs, burgers, deli sandwiches and more. During the breakfast hours, there's eggs, biscuits, fresh bakery offerings, breakfast meats and more. We've eaten in the CBR food court often and every time, the food has been fresh and hot (or cold when it needed to be).

The store is divided in two with one side selling pirate, beach and CBR items and the other selling more traditional Disney merchandise. Also in Old Port Royale is the arcade and a Concierge desk should you have questions.

Bus transportation at the CBR has run efficiently during each of our stays. Often, in the mornings, there would be several buses at the bus stops. At the CBR, each village has their own bus stop so you never have to walk far. Oh, and the bus stops are covered which is great when the Florida sun is beaming down. Yes, the buses stop at all the village bus stops before they leave the resort but it really doesn't take that long. I actually timed it from Jamaica to Hollywood Studios and Epcot just to see how long it was. From the time we got on the bus, stopped at the other bus stops and then pulled into the bus stop at Hollywood Studios, it took a total of 11 minutes. Epcot took 10 minutes. I can't remember how long it took us to get to Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom but it wasn't long at all.

In the evenings, we sometimes had to wait on a bus but I didn't find that we had to wait any longer than the other resorts. That being said, sometimes a bus would pull out and another would pull right in after it to load up the other guests in line.

I have tons of pictures of the rooms, the grounds, the marina, etc. Should you want to see them, just click on my "Stop Go Back" trip report link below. Or, I can post a few if you'd like.

Hope my information was helpful.

Lisa

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
Lisadaa2
Mouseketeer

I think CBR looks great and it is good to hear that the transportation was good for you. That is one of my concerns with CBR, the buses. I have heard negative things about them. I also have heard that PO looks really out dated. I don't know if these things are true or not because some people just like to complain. I have such a hard time making decision! It drives my Husband crazy...lol! Thank you for all the information!!
Lisadaa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:33 PM   #6
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisadaa2 View Post
I think CBR looks great and it is good to hear that the transportation was good for you. That is one of my concerns with CBR, the buses. I have heard negative things about them. I also have heard that PO looks really out dated. I don't know if these things are true or not because some people just like to complain. I have such a hard time making decision! It drives my Husband crazy...lol! Thank you for all the information!!
We have been to the CBR twice during the last week of May/first week of June, once during the first week of August and once during the second week of August. Have never had any real issues with the bus.

Year after year, I struggle with the decision on whether or not to stick with the CBR which we know we love or book another resort. Ultimately, we stick with what we know we like.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
Stitch2244314
DIS Veteran

I would recommend CBR, for all of the great reasons mickeystoontown just listed! I'll add that we have always had great bus service at CBR-- on our most recent trip (May/June 2009), we never waited more than 5 minutes for any bus going to or from CBR. Good luck deciding, and have a great trip!
May 1996: Off Site April 2002: ASMo May 2003 & 2004: Off Site June/July 2005: POFQ July 2006: POR August 2007: CBR July/August 2008: CSR & CBR May/June 2009: CBR July 2010: BWV August 2011: CBR July 2012: OKW & AKV-Jambo December 2012: POR-Royal Room July 2013: Yacht Club
Stitch2244314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:58 PM   #8
heatherlynn444
DIS Veteran

WL is beautiful at Christmas!

Ft. WIlderness 89'~POR '95~Poly '97~GF RPC '03~GF RPC '07~AKL '07~GF RPC '08~CSR '09~ GF RPC May and July '09~Poly '10~BWI CL '10~POR and DCL '10~WL CL '10~GF RPC '10~WL CL/GF RPC '11~Poly CL/Dream double dip '11~ GF RPC Sept '11~GF RPC Feb '12~YC March '12~GF RPC April '12~DCL 5 night Magic May '12~GF RPC May '12~DisneyLand GCA and 1/2 harathon sept. '12~7 night on the Magic Oct. '12~Yacht Club Jan '13~Beach Club Jan '13~AKL Feb '13~Fantasy western April '13
Dec. AKL Dining Report
Sept. Deluxe dining report
June 2010 DCL Double Dip TR
heatherlynn444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:43 PM   #9
machusko
Earning My Ears

Have stayed at Poly, Gf, Contemp, Wl, AKL, POR and POFQ. Some a few times. POFQ is one of our favorites even being at the moderate leel. The biggest advantage for us is the small size of the resort. You don't have great eating options there but they have a very nice counter service area and you do have boat access to POR and downtown disney which easy access to many food options.
machusko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
resort

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: