Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
virginiamama
DIS Veteran

Chemo and Radiation Patient - comfort items?

This is my first post to this board, but just from skimming the thread names, I'm sure I can find some kind answers here.

My dear friend has just been diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma and will be undergoing chemotherapy and radiation. We are having a girl's night out this weekend before she starts treatment.

A friend and I want to go in together and make up a bag of comfort items that will be helpful during treatment. My ideas so far are good hand cream (heard that dry skin was a side effect), a snuggly blanket, a gentle toothbrush (read that gums can be sensitive), and a journal for recording appointments, meds being taken, side effects, or anything that would be helpful to remember for a doctor's appointment. Do these seem like good ideas? Any other ideas?

TIA!

"(June '94 Off site / Oct '03 Caribbean Beach / Dec '04 DCL-Wonder / Dec '05 Pop Century / Dec '06 DCL-Magic CC Double-Dip and Coronado Springs / Oct '07 Beach Club Villas / Aug '08 DCL Wonder CC Double-Dip w/ Tropical Storm Fay and Beach Club Villas / Nov '08 Beach Club Villas / Oct '09 Villas at Wilderness Lodge/ Nov '10 AK Villas / Aug '11 DCL Dream and Bay Lake Towers / Dec '12 Beach Club Villas)

Next trip: Oct '13 Beach Club Villas
virginiamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
WDWLVR
DVC @ The Boardwalk
Have veranda will cruise
We cruised under a DVC flag - how cool is that?!?

Those are all great ideas. A journal is a very useful tool and can help her remember how she feels each day so she can relay that back to the doctor.

If you know what kind of books she likes to read that can help as well. I found having a good book helped the time in chemo go by.

Or if you have the skills do a cd of music she'll love so she can listen to it when resting at home or an Itunes card so she can download some new ones to her Ipod if she has one to listen to during chemo.

I'm sure her best gift is knowing you are her friend and you are thinking of her!
Old 01-21-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
KJ Luvs Pluto
DIS Veteran

My chemo takes 5-6 hours to complete so I like to read. Maybe some good books or magazines for her chemo treatments. If she's going to lose her hair, some soft hats - chenille (sp?) ones are great in a couple of colors. Pure aloe will be helpful during radiation treatments (so I've heard - I'm still in the chemo stages, radiation is yet to come). A good cuticle cream will keep her nail beds in good condition during chemo. I splurged and bought Burts Bees brand and use it on my toe nail and fingernail cuticles twice a day and so far I have kept my nails (my chemo tends to make the nails fall out). Some good smelling anti-bacterial hand gel in small sizes. These she can put in her purse, keep on her desk, put in her chemo bag or have in the car. We need to keep our hands clean at all times.

It's very nice of you to think of her and put something like this together.

Sorry to mention the books again - I just re-read the previous post and noticed it was already mentioned.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: