Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2010, 09:59 AM   #211
Rip
Proud Redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro West View Post
Actually I heard the opposite...the ride is pretty much finished but the building is a ways from being completed.
I heard pretty much the same thing, that the moving portion of the ride itself (tracks, cars, etc.) is in place and operational, but that very little of the theming for the ride is done.
Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:25 AM   #212
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip View Post
I heard pretty much the same thing, that the moving portion of the ride itself (tracks, cars, etc.) is in place and operational, but that very little of the theming for the ride is done.
That is why I do not book yet, nobody knows for sure when they done and I cannot have 2 vacations a year.
BTW, when did Universal change their prices, I am shocked. 7day pass now not that far from Disney 7 day pass esp. if you add Express Pass since they do not have free pass system like FP anymore. As much as I love Universal, it is only 2 parks.

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
KellyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2010, 01:51 AM   #213
Captn Jack Sparrow
Kungaloosh! - Adventurer Extraordinaire

After all the midnight book buys and movie watching, and sadly, the birthday party we threw for HP I am pretty sure my family will go to check it out.

We have never been to US but this gives us an excuse to finally visit the park and not feel like we are missing the mouse...much :D
Old 02-17-2010, 07:21 AM   #214
kwitcherkicken99
Sleep keeps me pretty. CAFFEINE keeps me NICE!
This vicarious living is wonderful!
I'll take getting my feet up all the way

We would LOVE to go to WWoHP but we are on such an abbreviated schedule that we are skipping it. DS(3) is crazy about Harry, must have had something to do with me reading the books to him as a newborn, but I cannot justify the cost of going off property with public transit. This is our last WDW trip for at least 5 years, so I really want to focus on it. Maybe next time.
kwitcherkicken99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:24 AM   #215
kathy884
DIS Veteran

For our March 2010 trip Orlando area trip, as WWHP won't be open, we won't be going over there, but we will plan to spend a partial day (maybe it will be a full day because of lines) at IOA in March, 2011 as we are looking forward to seeing the HP theming. We will totally skip US.

Different people have different tastes. That's all I can say. I've heard US is better than it used to be, though, from my mom who is in her 70s. The last time I went was in 1995. I tried everything at US (IOA wasn't open), and personally I did not care for the park. It just didn't give me a good vibe or feel wholesome the way Sea World and Disney do. I thought the rides/movies seemed cheesy/lame.

My son went to US/IOA in 2008 (He is 14 now and was 12 at the time). He does not, however, like simulator/3D movie type rides which is a big part of these parks. Despite that, he had a good day, but ranks the parks in this order 1) Sea World // 2) Cedar Point -- he and I both love coasters // 3) All the Disney Parks // 4) IOA // 5) Universal // 6) Six Flags (our local Six Flags park is really bad).

We know IOA is bound to be crowded, though, as even people like us who are not big US/IOA in any way, shape, or form will be checking it out. My son and I looked over a list of all the US/IOA attractions, as I wanted to see what he liked there and what he'd like to see again to see how much time to allocate, if I should look into possibly staying onsite there, etc. There was nothing at US (not a single ride or attractions) that he wanted to do again, so that means just a 1 day/1 park pass to IOA. At IOA, we want to see Harry Potter (My son is really excited about seeing this and so am I), but other than that there were only three things he wanted to do again: 1) The Hulk Coaster // 2) Dueling Dragons -- I could count this as two, as he wants to do both tracks, and 3) The Jurrasic Park Discovery Center.

Our touing plan will be 1) to be at IOA at rope drop, 2) head over to WWHP and do new HP rides, 3) back track and do the Hulk coaster before that gets too crowded (I heard lines are crazy / busy for this later in the day), 4) head back near where we were before and do both Dueling Dragon tracks, 5) spend time looking around at WWHP -- gift shops, etc. take our time (See everything we are interested in that isn't a ride.), 6) Go the to Jurrasic Park Discovery center, and 7) head back to our resort to relax or if it was a really short day (probably unlikely because of lines even with our extremely limited activities), go over to Sea World where we have season passes.
kathy884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:52 AM   #216
melly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamstew View Post
Neither scared nor judging a book by its cover in my case. I hate thrill rides, my children are grown, and my grandchildren are too young. Disney is a big part of my childhood. I grew up with the classic movies and the original Mickey Mouse Club. Universal holds no interest for me -- it's that simple. .
Stuff like this astounds me. What you are saying is that your not even willing to give Universal a try? I mean you can't have been there otherwise you'd know there are only really 4 true thrill rides (DD's, Hulk, Dr Doom and Rip R Ride) and the rest are of a similar intensity to that of Disney. Jurrasic and Ripsaw falls are no more intense than Splash Mountain, the Mummy no more intense than Everest or Rock n Rollercoaster....the list goes on. I can always understand people who go, dont like it so dont go again but it is quite unbelievable when someone flat out refuses to even see what its like. Its almost as if they are scared of going in case they like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamstew View Post
As far as I am concerned, there's nothing "like" Disney, .
And you've come to this conclusion by going to Disney and nowhere else? Can you not see the flaw in this view? You cant possibly know if there is nowhere else like Disney unless you actually go to other places and try it out.
melly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:50 AM   #217
Riviera510
Mouseketeer

I would love to go to US and see Harry Potter when we are down there in November.

However *I* would be the only one interested in it. DH isn't and my kids are a bit young. They know who HP is but it doesn't interest them as of yet.

If DH and I were going to FLA by ourselves it would be a definite must do though.

Apr1985 ~ Daytrip to Magic Kingdom
Apr1986 ~ Daytrip to Epcot
Nov2010 ~ First Family (Road)Trip to POR
Nov2012 ~ Another Roadtrip to POR.
Riviera510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:55 AM   #218
jamstew
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by melly View Post
Stuff like this astounds me. What you are saying is that your not even willing to give Universal a try? I mean you can't have been there otherwise you'd know there are only really 4 true thrill rides (DD's, Hulk, Dr Doom and Rip R Ride) and the rest are of a similar intensity to that of Disney. Jurrasic and Ripsaw falls are no more intense than Splash Mountain, the Mummy no more intense than Everest or Rock n Rollercoaster....the list goes on. I can always understand people who go, dont like it so dont go again but it is quite unbelievable when someone flat out refuses to even see what its like. Its almost as if they are scared of going in case they like it.
You must have missed my post that says I am going to see HP, so I will see what it's like. There are probably a bazillion places on planet Earth that I'd enjoy if I went there, but it's called a personal choice. For goodness sake, I'm 64 years old. I think I can make up my own mind about where I do or don't want to go for whatever reasons.

Quote:
You cant possibly know if there is nowhere else like Disney unless you actually go to other places and try it out.
Yeah, I do actually know there's nowhere else like Disney. It's about the theme and the nostalgia connected to it.

jamstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:55 AM   #219
Shmily1
DIS Veteran

Geez, this is getting intense. Maybe I shouldn't say I haven't been to US before or else I might get blasted by the US lovers too. This is the Disney Theme Park board though....

Anyway, I've not been to US or IOA before (had a free ticket and didn't even go then... did drive past though). I am tempted because I love HP!! I may have to go so I can see that part... probably not when it first opens since it will be crazy busy, but I could see myself venturing over there to see HP. Just don't tell my mouse friends.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:59 AM   #220
paintnolish
You'd think a sniff in the general vicinity would be sufficient
I mean, how much more can a dead guy do?!?
I'm meh about "meh."

I will absolutely go see HP! I haven't been to US for years and years, but I will definitely check out US for a day once HP is open. I will always spend the majority of my time at WDW, though.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post34722197
DH Me DS (13) DD (12) Baby DS (1)
paintnolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:59 AM   #221
PeterPan09
bury my iPod with me, on shuffle, with headphones in my ears

Oh, heck YEAH!!

Sure, Disney is my first love and if I have a free evening or a free weekend afternoon I'm much more likely to end up at WDW than at US or IOA-HOWEVER, there is a lot of fun to be had at US/IOA now and I think Harry Potter will bring even more fun.

I understand those who feel that there is something more magical about WDW, but I don't really understand the idea that going to US/IOA, Busch Gardens or Sea World is somehow cheating on Mickey Mouse.
PeterPan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:11 AM   #222
hookedonears
Louisianan

We are tremendous fans of HP. We've read all of the books multi times, though for some reason, we're just not interested in going to Potterland. I seriously doubt that we'll take a day out of visiting WDW to go.
hookedonears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:23 AM   #223
troyseyfert
Mouseketeer

My wife and I are going to DW May 19th-24th...we are not planning on going to HP or US during that time...

However, I do wonder if HP will affect attendance at the DW parks while we are there...lighter crowds than normal???? What do you think?
troyseyfert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:58 AM   #224
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I think that what drives some Universal fans a bit off the edge is those who dismiss Universal and have never been. People sometimes have such odd images of the Universal parks and just like all of those who are defending AK in another thread, Universal fans feel compelled to do the same. I'm a BIG Universal fan myself and I personally don't care if people go or not but it does seem a bit shortsighted to just dismiss it so easily.

Universal is not a threat to WDW. The two companies actually help each other.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:06 AM   #225
cuethemusic
Mouseketeer

Whenever I go to Orlando I go to both WDW and Universal- I can't just skip one! We usually spend 4-5 days in disney and 1 or 2 days at Universal. They are both great fun and I actually booked my next trip based on the wizarding world of Harry Potter
cuethemusic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: