Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #196
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Dark Marauder View Post
The important thing is to see what the cost of Express will be for the time you want to visit. It is possible to be more cost effective to stay @ Universal.

Example:

One night @ Royal Pacific = $220 for a family of 5. All 5 in the family get a room key, and the room key is good for UNLIMITED Express access (not valid at P-Flyers or Rockit). The Express is good for check-in (all day) and check-out (all day).

vs

Purchasing Express for 5 for two days @ $30 per person = $300. The express is only valid ONCE per attraction.
you are so correct!
it is a great way to be able to tour the park without long waits.
and affordable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyNY View Post
WOW, How cheap of them to discontinue Express Passes. I had no idea. Now I will have to explore what is cheaper, to pay for express pass and transportation from Disney for 3 of us, or just move to Universal Hotel for a day or 2. Thanks for this info.
KellyNY, Darkie gave a good suggestion.

i have been doing both parks since 1992.
i can not imagine traveling to orlando and not doing both the motherland and the darkside.

i used to stay exclusively at the disney resorts and rent a car to go to universal for a couple of days.

after the onsite hotels opened up, i started to do split vacations.
staying at disney at the beginning of my trip and then stay at UO resorts the last few days of my vacation.

i found it was cheaper for me to relocate to universal in the long run.
for what i paid for a 2 nights stay at universal loews hotels, i got 3 days of free, unlimited express line usage for rides and shows.

it was cheaper doing that then to pay for 3 days of express passes for myself and 3 sons.

AAA will give you about a 35% discount on the universal hotels.
i only get about a 10% discount on the disney resorts when i book room only.

if you stay at disney for most of your trip, then relocate to one of the universal hotels for the end of your vacation, you will come out ahead.

use the ME from the airport to disney.
use car service to transfer from disney to universal resorts.
and, back to the airport.

i pay less than $100 for my car service and also get a free 30 minute grocery stop.

since you are basically interested in doing the parry hotter part of the park, just book one night at UO.
try to get a late flight back home the next evening.
that way you will get one full day in the UO park for parry hotter and part of the next day.

just like disney, the UO hotels cost more on the weekends.

the days for the smallest crowds in the uo parks are generally mon-thur.

i do agree that is was very upsetting for us when universal did away with the free express line passes.

that is one thing that pushed us to stay onsite.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:42 PM   #197
tiki23
Able to leap a double stroller in a single *splat*
A hot glue gun was my best friend

We Are Excited!

This is the 1st time that even my teens have really wanted to go to Universal. We'll stay at one of their on-site hotels at the end of our 2011 Disney trip in November or December.

Now we can ride Gary and Harry.
1st Trip! 11/06 POP~ Christmas Time W/Mom 12/07 POP~ Just Me DL 3/08~ Mom-Son 8/08 POP~Fam & Friends 10/08 DLR~Reunion 9/09 ASMU~Sisters! 9/10 POFQ~ 3/11 w/DD's choir ASMu~ 5/12 EE Challenge w/Sis POP ~w/DH 9/12 AoA~ ToT Run/Reunion 10/13 POP! ~ ASP w/Sis Princess Wknd 2/14 DLand Half Marathon 8/14 11/14 Avenger Half Marathon
tiki23 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2010, 01:47 PM   #198
disneyfav4ever
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.

My plan is to do Disney first, and use DME, then switch to Universal for one night, having two full days in the park, before going back to Disney another night, just so I can use DME to get back to the airport. I figure I can get a good deal for one-night room only, and it'll cost about the same as if I have to pay to get to the airport somehow.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:27 PM   #199
Golf4food
Mouseketeer
Male pirate last time I checked... yep, still male
Tazicket will always be my sexy penguin

We will spend a couple of days at US and go to both parks but it won't take away from our Disney time, just an addition to it. We are HP fans so we'll want to check it out and haven't been to US in many years (around 18 years since I was there last, actually, though I did spend a day in IOA about 10 years ago...)
Mar '14 - Offsite; Nov '13 - Offiste; Sept '13-Offsite; Apr '13-POFQ; Jan '13-POR; Dec '12-POFQ:Baby's First WDW Trip; March '11-Offiste; Nov/Dec '10-AKL/CSR; May '10-POR Pre-Dining Review-Dining Report; September '09-ASMu & DxDP Dining Report; December '08-POR; September '08-ASM; June '07-One day surprise park hopping extravaganza for DW; December '06-CBR; March '05-CBR; Many visits as a child

Golf4food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:38 PM   #200
mekjj
Earning My Ears

Heck yeah we are going to see HP! We stay at Bonnet Creek anyway so we will just drive on over to Universal for a day. I have not been there since 1992!
mekjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:58 PM   #201
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by macraven View Post
you are so correct!
it is a great way to be able to tour the park without long waits.
and affordable.

KellyNY, Darkie gave a good suggestion.

i have been doing both parks since 1992.
i can not imagine traveling to orlando and not doing both the motherland and the darkside.

i used to stay exclusively at the disney resorts and rent a car to go to universal for a couple of days.

after the onsite hotels opened up, i started to do split vacations.
staying at disney at the beginning of my trip and then stay at UO resorts the last few days of my vacation.

i found it was cheaper for me to relocate to universal in the long run.
for what i paid for a 2 nights stay at universal loews hotels, i got 3 days of free, unlimited express line usage for rides and shows.

it was cheaper doing that then to pay for 3 days of express passes for myself and 3 sons.

AAA will give you about a 35% discount on the universal hotels.
i only get about a 10% discount on the disney resorts when i book room only.

if you stay at disney for most of your trip, then relocate to one of the universal hotels for the end of your vacation, you will come out ahead.

use the ME from the airport to disney.
use car service to transfer from disney to universal resorts.
and, back to the airport.

i pay less than $100 for my car service and also get a free 30 minute grocery stop.

since you are basically interested in doing the parry hotter part of the park, just book one night at UO.
try to get a late flight back home the next evening.
that way you will get one full day in the UO park for parry hotter and part of the next day.

just like disney, the UO hotels cost more on the weekends.

the days for the smallest crowds in the uo parks are generally mon-thur.

i do agree that is was very upsetting for us when universal did away with the free express line passes.

that is one thing that pushed us to stay onsite.

Thank you for such detailed review.
I see now it is much better to switch hotels. There are 3 of us and we planned 2 days at Universal. We have not been in a while, wanted to do it last time but I learned about HP and we decided to go when it opens. We do almost all rides at US and some at IA so we definitely would need Express Pass. For 2 days it is extra $180. 2 days transportation from Disney would be $120, so $300 total. Transportation once to Universal plus to airport I guess $60-$70 so we will have $230 to spare. If we do 1 night we can actualy even save, we stay at CBR, so it is less then $230 difference between it and US hotel. We always take a 8PM flight, so we would definitely have till about 4PM to explore parks. I did not know about such a big discount with AAA, thanks again.
I never understood why people switch to Universal for just couple of days, now it makes a perfect sence.

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
KellyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #202
scrappingizlife
Mouseketeer

We will be going to both US and IOA. My BFF is coming with us, and he has never been to either WDW or US. So he wants to do both. He has the dumb notion though that WDW is going to be too kiddie for him. I guess he'll see just how wrong he is.
I am oober exicted about The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.
scrappingizlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:23 PM   #203
roadtripper
DIS Veteran

We have never been to Universal (DVC since 2002--about 14 trips) but will absolutely go in Feb 2011 for HP--huge fans. Looking forward to reviews and tips on this and the Universal board!

roadtripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:00 AM   #204
Ben Gates Fan
Earning My Ears

Hi, I'm Joe!

I'll be going to see Harry Potter at Universal too. I love my Disney, but Universal has some serious game when it comes to attractions. Spiderman and the Mummy are two things I hit every time I'm in Orlando.
Ben Gates Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:40 AM   #205
smidgy
dimples

Joe, I am a thrill ride scardey cat!!! I don't do roller coasters (everest, rock and rollercoaster) tried Tower of terror once, hated it.
I love big thunder, and will do soarin'

I LOVE spiderman and mummy! the thrill level is "just" enough for me, the perfect amount.
most theme parks have either kiddie rides, or "the bigger, crazier the better" rides. that is why I LOVE those 2 rides.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:12 AM   #206
Ben Gates Fan
Earning My Ears

Absolutely, I hear ya! They are 100% just right. And the f/x inside of those two... MAN. You know, Disney has to be toying with the idea of doing something along the lines of one of those two. I wish they would, the things they could do in the 3D Spiderman style with a Disney touch? I can't even imagine.

Soarin' I love... That and Philharmagic (<<<Spelling?) are my two favorites on the Disney side from the last several years.

I haven't been lucky enough to see Everest yet, I can't wait. I'm hoping to do a trip late summer/early fall, to check out Everest and the Harry Potter land.
Ben Gates Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:32 AM   #207
mikeandkarla
DIS Veteran

We are planning to visit US/IOA to see WWOH in June. If for some reason it is not open yet, we will spend the full week in WDW. I wonder if they will open WWOH if it is not 100% done. I mean, if all the exterior building is done, but the ride is unfinished. I hope they announce that if it is the case.

SSR , AKV, BWV___HOME SWEET HOME___
2014 VGF, RPR(Universal);2013OKW&BWV;2012 OKW,DCL,BLT,BWV; 2011 VGC,BWV; 2010 BWV&VB,AKV,RPR(Universal); 2009 POR,POP,VB&AKV; 2008 BCV&VB,AKV; 2007 SSR; 2006 ASMO; 2005 ASMU; 2001 ASSP.
mikeandkarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:06 AM   #208
goofy868
Earning My Ears

We have been going to Disney & staying on property since 2000. We have consistantly made at least 2 trips a year and usually more. We have never went to another park until now. I purchased tickets for universal/IOA the other day before their price hike. The prices are getting so high at Disney I don't think we will be going back for a while after our Annual Passes expire:-(
goofy868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:25 AM   #209
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandkarla View Post
I wonder if they will open WWOH if it is not 100% done. I mean, if all the exterior building is done, but the ride is unfinished. I hope they announce that if it is the case.
Actually I heard the opposite...the ride is pretty much finished but the building is a ways from being completed.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:38 AM   #210
rie'smom
"Always let your conscience be your guide."
I cannot look at my hamburger after I've taken a bite
Toilet paper must come over the top!

We're going to Uni for a couple of nights at the end of our trip, partly to see HP. It's the way we end our trips because we can relax and not rush around the parks to get FPs. Our favorite Uni onsite is the Royal Pacific.
rie'smom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: