Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2010, 05:10 PM   #166
jamstew
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feralpeg View Post
I don't think anyone really cares if people go to Universal. I just find it interesting when I see people post about how bad Universal is compared to Disney. How lame the theming is, etc. and they've never been there. Odd.
I agree with that. I just thought it was a bit much for a pp to say that people acted as if they were scared to try it and were being childish. Although HP is the only thing that has piqued my interest enough to go, I'm looking forward to the E.T., Jaws & Jurassic Park (unless I'm going to get soaking wet) attractions. Except for the Gulf beaches, it's hard for me to tear myself away from Disney because of the nostalgia. Since I travel solo 99% of the time, Disney is particularly special because it's comfortable and safe. And I frankly didn't spend thousands of dollars on DVC to go to Universal or anywhere else

jamstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:51 PM   #167
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newharmony View Post
No desire to go to Universal...we got as far as the parking garage once and hated that! All that concrete! How about the new Legoland? I just read that Cypress Gardens has been sold and a Legoland! Florida will be built there.
Um, Disney has parking lots. They consist of a lot of asphalt. If you'd have gotten farther than the parking lot, you'd have found that Universal is more than just a lot of concrete.
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2010, 06:04 PM   #168
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

Here is a picture a friend took at IOA today of the Hogwarts castle. Very cool! I can't wait for it to open!

Old 01-24-2010, 06:11 PM   #169
seadd67
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
I love the looks of Poseidon's temple or whatever that is - but the show they do inside is pretty lame. I usually root for the guy in the old football helmet.
Really I thought the show was pretty good!,but I have only been to see It once,so maybe after a few times I would get tired of It.
seadd67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:32 PM   #170
lacrosse_lady72
I <3 Disney

I love how this thread has people stating they will never go to Universal EVER!

And how their statement has nothing to do with the presence of Harry Potter... they're just being troll-like by coming on here and stating they will never go to Universal without relating it to Harry Potter. Sheesh. It's almost as bad as that thread that someone was asking how to get Pepsi while staying on-site and people seriously replied just to say how much they hated Pepsi. They weren't ever planning on help OP, or responding to what OP asked... they just had to be jerks!

WDW: JULY/AUGUST 2002, MARCH 2004, MARCH/APRIL 2005, SEPTEMBER 2006, SEPTEMBER 2007, SEPTEMBER 2008, SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER 2009, APRIL 2010, SEPTEMBER 2011, SEPTEMBER 2013, SEPTEMBER 2015
DLR: APRIL 1998, DECEMBER 2005, JANUARY 2012, JANUARY 2013

lacrosse_lady72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:34 PM   #171
lacrosse_lady72
I <3 Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feralpeg View Post
Here is a picture a friend took at IOA today of the Hogwarts castle. Very cool! I can't wait for it to open!

Thanks for the picture!

Lol, right by a Jurassic Park sign. It'll be like heaven for me, my favorite movie (Jurassic Park) and my favorite franchise right next to each other in a theme park!

WDW: JULY/AUGUST 2002, MARCH 2004, MARCH/APRIL 2005, SEPTEMBER 2006, SEPTEMBER 2007, SEPTEMBER 2008, SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER 2009, APRIL 2010, SEPTEMBER 2011, SEPTEMBER 2013, SEPTEMBER 2015
DLR: APRIL 1998, DECEMBER 2005, JANUARY 2012, JANUARY 2013

lacrosse_lady72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:49 PM   #172
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Again, I'm not a Harry Potter fan (nor is my DH), so we won't be rushing to Universal. We've done Universal in the past and while we enjoyed it, it doesn't hold the same appeal to us that DW does. We do not care for "thrill ride" roller coasters. However, this does NOT make us haters of Universal; we just prefer DW by a whole lot.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:58 PM   #173
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

love the photo but Hogwarts looks kinda wrong with palm trees...

Yeah, I'm a Harry Potter fan, I admit it.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:11 PM   #174
jpolak
DIS Veteran

While I think the pictures look very cool and I enjoyed all of the books and movies, I would say probably not. Our kids are still very young DW has no interest in HP so I would say we will pass.
7/77-Fort Wilderness Campground, 10/96-All Star Sports, 6/98-Dixie Landings, 6/99-All Star Movies, 8/01-Port Orleans FQ, 4/04-Pop Century, 10/05-Beach Club Villas, 8/06-Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge, 2/07- Saratoga Springs, 9/07- Boardwalk Villas, 2/09 Old Key West, 12/09 Boardwalk Villas,8/11 Bay Lake Tower,8/12 Bay Lake Tower,8/13 Bay Lake Tower
MeDWDDDS DD
jpolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:09 PM   #175
mamaprincess
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

We may go one day. I just don't want the lines. I'm under the impression that in order to have front of the line access, you have to stay at one of their hotels. We are DVC so I don't know if we will want to stay in one of their rooms. Plus it's just hard to get away from WDW once we are there for our once a year trip. I really hope we will go to Universal one day to experience some of the cool rides there. I think the kids will really like some of the rides as they are thrill ride lovers. I love immersive rides that tell a story so I'm sure I'll love HP.
mamaprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:15 PM   #176
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrosse_lady72 View Post
Thanks for the picture!

Lol, right by a Jurassic Park sign. It'll be like heaven for me, my favorite movie (Jurassic Park) and my favorite franchise right next to each other in a theme park!
I assume that the sign is a directional sign and hopefully won't be quite so apparent later on from where you can view Hogwarts. And I agree that the palm trees look odd but who knows if they'll survive?

I also marvel at those who dislike Universal never having been there or complain about a parking garage. At least your car is in the shade! But eh, to each their own. I feel lucky in that I like both resorts.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #177
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaprincess View Post
We may go one day. I just don't want the lines. I'm under the impression that in order to have front of the line access, you have to stay at one of their hotels. We are DVC so I don't know if we will want to stay in one of their rooms. Plus it's just hard to get away from WDW once we are there for our once a year trip. I really hope we will go to Universal one day to experience some of the cool rides there. I think the kids will really like some of the rides as they are thrill ride lovers. I love immersive rides that tell a story so I'm sure I'll love HP.

I was at Universal 5 years ago. Back then they had FPs even better then Disney ones, since you had 2 or 3 options, when you want to return. I hope they still have it. We were during Spring Break and we did almost all rides in 2 days, 1 park per day.

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
KellyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:41 PM   #178
tzuhouse
DIS Veteran

Our next tripped was planned because of Harry Potter. It will be our first time at Universal. We've spent a total of 54 days at WDW up until now and never felt a need to go elsewhere.

Mary
2010 - 9 nts Bonnet Creek 10/17 - DVC OWNERS!!!!
2011 - 2 nts ASMo, 4 nts Yacht Club, 1 nt ASSp
2012 - 1 nt Pop, 1 nt CBR, 5 nts Bonnet Creek, 2 nts OKW, 4 nts Disney Dream, 2 nts SSR, 4 nts ASMo, 7 nts Disney Magic, 11nts OKW
2013 - 4 nt Disney Magic, 8 nt Disney Magic, 5 nts CSR
2014 - 4 nts BW, 4 nts OKW, 3 nts Disney Magic, 1 nt BLT, 2 nts GF, 2 nts AKL, 1 nt BW

tzuhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:48 PM   #179
disneyfav4ever
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.

We're discussing the possibility of a family vacation this summer, and HP is the major reason we're considering it. Even if we don't go then, I may add on to my fall vacation and go to Universal then.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:50 PM   #180
disneyfav4ever
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzuhouse View Post
Our next tripped was planned because of Harry Potter. It will be our first time at Universal. We've spent a total of 54 days at WDW up until now and never felt a need to go elsewhere.

Mary
I'm almost exactly the same, I only have one day less then you in Disney, (and will be adding at least 15 more by the end of this year,) and this is the first time I've ever seriously considered going to Universal.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: