Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-15-2010, 07:12 PM   #1051
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet
 
kaoden39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fairfield, CA
Posts: 30,182

Looking at that line...I think I can make the same food at home and not wait in line my bad I am sure. And looking at the line I wonder how many are tourists and how many are locals.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:33 PM   #1052
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!
 
DizNee Luver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philomath, Oregon
Posts: 9,617

So after getting our fill of Pinks, we got back into the van & made our way towards Burbank.....of course snapping a ton of photos on the way:













Warner Bros. Studios:





These buildings houses a few different record labels:




NBC Studios:






Not sure what this was, but included it anyways:



ABC Studios:



Next up...the thing(s) that made this not a totally NON-Disney day!
__________________
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013



Last edited by DizNee Luver; 07-16-2012 at 05:25 PM.
DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-15-2010, 07:35 PM   #1053
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!
 
DizNee Luver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philomath, Oregon
Posts: 9,617

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
Looking at that line...I think I can make the same food at home and not wait in line my bad I am sure. And looking at the line I wonder how many are tourists and how many are locals.

Probably about half & half......the locals have kept that little place going for years! It's a favorite of local business people & celebrities still go there. I'm sure there were tourists hoping to catch a glimpse of someone important....but alas.....I stayed on the other side of the street!!! I kid, I kid!!
__________________
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013


DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:35 PM   #1054
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet
 
kaoden39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fairfield, CA
Posts: 30,182

Woo hoo!!
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #1055
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet
 
kaoden39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fairfield, CA
Posts: 30,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizNee Luver View Post
Probably about half & half......the locals have kept that little place going for years! It's a favorite of local business people & celebrities still go there. I'm sure there were tourists hoping to catch a glimpse of someone important....but alas.....I stayed on the other side of the street!!! I kid, I kid!!
They really missed out then!!
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:13 PM   #1056
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!
 
Sherry E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 15,331
DISboards Moderator

I would say that Pink's has equal parts local following and tourists (and celebrities, although the celebs don't always go there in person, but I will explain that in a second). I am 43, but I remember long lines for Pink's way back when I was 14 and chowing down on their chili burgers! It has grown in popularity over the last few decades, for sure, but it has a diehard local following.

As for famous people at Pink's, a lot of the entertainment companies in this general area - and there are many - send their runners/assistants out to get mass quantities of Pink's Hot Dogs to bring back to the offices, or they order a bunch of Pink's stuff for cast parties and things like that. Every now and then a few celebs show up at Pink's - there is a famous story about Bill Cosby showing up there, for example - but mostly they order things to be sent to them on movie sets far away or they have their assistants do the dirty work and get the food for them.

Another reason why Pink's spiked in popularity - other than word of mouth - over the last decade is because another local favorite hot dog place - Tail o' the Pup - closed down. TOTP had a different kind of chili - it tasted different than Pink's, but was very yummy and had a definite following. TOTP was the place that is famous in photos - you've all seen it. It's the giant hot dog with a window in front. It was an iconic part of L.A. scenery, just like the giant doughnut that belongs to Randy's Donuts.

So when TOTP closed down, sadly, I think a lot of the chili dog lovers migrated over to Pink's, and crowds increased. I guess there just was not enough room in this town for two hot dog giants!!
__________________
**...Rockin' my Disney Side since 1972 ... Now taking on the holidays, one photo (and one Superthread!) at a time...**

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:17 PM   #1057
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet
 
kaoden39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fairfield, CA
Posts: 30,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
I would say that Pink's has equal parts local following and tourists (and celebrities, although the celebs don't always go there in person, but I will explain that in a second). I am 43, but I remember long lines for Pink's way back when I was 14 and chowing down on their chili burgers! It has grown in popularity over the last few decades, for sure, but it has a diehard local following.

As for famous people at Pink's, a lot of the entertainment companies in this general area - and there are many - send their runners/assistants out to get mass quantities of Pink's Hot Dogs to bring back to the offices, or they order a bunch of Pink's stuff for cast parties and things like that. Every now and then a few celebs show up at Pink's - there is a famous story about Bill Cosby showing up there, for example - but mostly they order things to be sent to them on movie sets far away or they have their assistants do the dirty work and get the food for them.

Another reason why Pink's spiked in popularity - other than word of mouth - over the last decade is because another local favorite hot dog place - Tail o' the Pup - closed down. TOTP had a different kind of chili - it tasted different than Pink's, but was very yummy and had a definite following. TOTP was the place that is famous in photos - you've all seen it. It's the giant hot dog with a window in front. It was an iconic part of L.A. scenery, just like the giant doughnut that belongs to Randy's Donuts.

So when TOTP closed down, sadly, I think a lot of the chili dog lovers migrated over to Pink's, and crowds increased. I guess there just was not enough room in this town for two hot dog giants!!
You know that all makes total sense to me.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:25 PM   #1058
kelmac284
I wish I lived near one of the parks so I could go anytime I wanted
He was so enamoured with her...
 
kelmac284's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 4,488

Loved the latest installment and I TOTALLY agree about the Knott's as I told you. Ghostrider just about killed me when I rode on it and like you NEVER again!! As I mentioned we just felt like it was NOT that fun. The rides were too big for our kids at that point and like you said NO shade and it just seemed dirty and just NOT fun. We left early so no chicken dinner either. I WOULD like to try it but don't know if we will ever venture that way since we very rarely have a car when we are there.

Loved your other day and all the fun places you saw. We used to have krispy kreme here in town but they got rid of them all. I don't know why cuz I loved their donuts and the kids loved watching them make them. Did that one have a pickle on it? It kind of looked like it LOL.

And I am not a huge hot dog fan so don't know if I would even venture a try or not.

Can't wait to see the next installment!!
__________________

DL 1st trip 76 last trip 3/14 next trip ??
DW 1st trip 5/02 last trip 11/10 next trip ??
kelmac284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:28 PM   #1059
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!
 
Sherry E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 15,331
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
You know that all makes total sense to me.
I actually liked the Tail o' the Pup chili dogs better than Pink's. Their chili was less, what should I call it, in your face than Pink's is. Pink's is good too, but I think it's a bit stronger of a chili than TOTP was. But when TOTP closed down, Pink's got some new business.

There's another chili place on Sunset Blvd. called Carney's (it's a restaurant in a big cable car/street car/train kind of structure) - they also serve yummy burgers and hot dogs, and they are locally popular but they never quite caught on like Tail o' the Pup hot dog or, especially, Pink's.
__________________
**...Rockin' my Disney Side since 1972 ... Now taking on the holidays, one photo (and one Superthread!) at a time...**

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:28 PM   #1060
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet
 
kaoden39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fairfield, CA
Posts: 30,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac284 View Post
Loved the latest installment and I TOTALLY agree about the Knott's as I told you. Ghostrider just about killed me when I rode on it and like you NEVER again!! As I mentioned we just felt like it was NOT that fun. The rides were too big for our kids at that point and like you said NO shade and it just seemed dirty and just NOT fun. We left early so no chicken dinner either. I WOULD like to try it but don't know if we will ever venture that way since we very rarely have a car when we are there.

Loved your other day and all the fun places you saw. We used to have krispy kreme here in town but they got rid of them all. I don't know why cuz I loved their donuts and the kids loved watching them make them. Did that one have a pickle on it? It kind of looked like it LOL.

And I am not a huge hot dog fan so don't know if I would even venture a try or not.

Can't wait to see the next installment!!
Wow that sounds like Six Flags Discovery Park.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:35 PM   #1061
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!
 
Sherry E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 15,331
DISboards Moderator

Oh, and I forgot to say that the chicken dinner at Knott's looks amazing - waaaaaay better than it looked whenever I last had it (as a child!). (I also enjoy the Knott's preserves!!)

It's funny about Knott's. I'm glad it's there and it has its rightful place in amusement park history, but it's so obvious when you are there that it is just not even close to being as magical or fun or detailed as a Disney park. I haven't been to Knott's since I was a kid, but even then I could tell it didn't hold a candle to Disney.

Even when we used to have Busch Gardens and Marineland in SoCal (more amusement park options) decades ago, I was never as excited to go to those places as I was to go to DL. And today - Magic Mountain? Yuck. And Universal Studios? Well, it has some highlights, and it also has its rightful place in SoCal amusement park history, but I have never been itching to get back to USH to look at all the wonderful details or anything like I have beem/am with DLR.

Disney really is miles ahead of all of its competitors in the theme park world.
__________________
**...Rockin' my Disney Side since 1972 ... Now taking on the holidays, one photo (and one Superthread!) at a time...**

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #1062
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet
 
kaoden39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fairfield, CA
Posts: 30,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
I actually liked the Tail o' the Pup chili dogs better than Pink's. Their chili was less, what should I call it, in your face than Pink's is. Pink's is good too, but I think it's a bit stronger of a chili than TOTP was. But when TOTP closed down, Pink's got some new business.

There's another chili place on Sunset Blvd. called Carney's (it's a restaurant in a big cable car/street car/train kind of structure) - they also serve yummy burgers and hot dogs, and they are locally popular but they never quite caught on like Tail o' the Pup hot dog or, especially, Pink's.
I like Disneyland's chili that they put in the bread bowls. I am lame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Oh, and I forgot to say that the chicken dinner at Knott's looks amazing - waaaaaay better than it looked whenever I last had it (as a child!). (I also enjoy the Knott's preserves!!)

It's funny about Knott's. I'm glad it's there and it has its rightful place in amusement park history, but it's so obvious when you are there that it is just not even close to being as magical or fun or detailed as a Disney park. I haven't been to Knott's since I was a kid, but even then I could tell it didn't hold a candle to Disney.

Even when we used to have Busch Gardens and Marineland in SoCal (more amusement park options) decades ago, I was never as excited to go to those places as I was to go to DL. And today - Magic Mountain? Yuck. And Universal Studios? Well, it has some highlights, and it also has its rightful place in SoCal amusement park history, but I have never been itching to get back to USH to look at all the wonderful details or anything like I have beem/am with DLR.

Disney really is miles ahead of all of its competitors in the theme park world.
I loved Marineland when I went as a kid. I also loved Marine World which was a great park before Six Flags bought it.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #1063
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!
 
Sherry E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 15,331
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
I like Disneyland's chili that they put in the bread bowls. I am lame.



I loved Marineland when I went as a kid. I also loved Marine World which was a great park before Six Flags bought it.
I never made it to Marine World but always wanted to go. I do miss Marineland, though (even though it still didn't hold a candle to Disney). Somehow, the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach and Sea World in San Diego don't fill the Marineland void for me!

One thing I did like about Busch Gardens as a kid was that several of the gift shops smelled like incense or strong berry-scented candles. It was everywhere we went. Those smells stuck out in my mind.

As for chili - I haven't tried the stuff at DLR yet. As far as I know, all the DLR chili has beans in it, right? I like my chili without beans most of the time.

However, you're not lame. I will admit to liking Dennison's chili in the can - that has to be lamer than liking the stuff in the bread bowl!!
__________________
**...Rockin' my Disney Side since 1972 ... Now taking on the holidays, one photo (and one Superthread!) at a time...**

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:52 PM   #1064
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet
 
kaoden39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fairfield, CA
Posts: 30,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
I never made it to Marine World but always wanted to go. I do miss Marineland, though (even though it still didn't hold a candle to Disney). Somehow, the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach and Sea World in San Diego don't fill the Marineland void for me!

One thing I did like about Busch Gardens as a kid was that several of the gift shops smelled like incense or strong berry-scented candles. It was everywhere we went. Those smells stuck out in my mind.

As for chili - I haven't tried the stuff at DLR yet. As far as I know, all the DLR chili has beans in it, right? I like my chili without beans most of the time.

However, you're not lame. I will admit to liking Dennison's chili in the can - that has to be lamer than liking the stuff in the bread bowl!!
Honestly the first thing that crossed my mind was Dennison's when we had them. But everything is better in a bread bowl.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:08 PM   #1065
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!
 
DizNee Luver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philomath, Oregon
Posts: 9,617


We made our way to:



& saw this:



But we didn't think we were quite in the right spot for getting pictures, so we ended up taking a very long trip around the block & ended up passing by the NBC Studios again.....lol:



A couple signs:





Now lookie what we found!!!:







To the left:



To the left of center:



Right of center:



Right side:



These are on the top of the rod iron fence surrounding the property:










More Walt Disney Studios coming up!!

__________________
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013



Last edited by DizNee Luver; 07-16-2012 at 05:33 PM.
DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are the Career Start people and the College Program people allowed to room together missxmadden The College Board 4 02-06-2010 07:58 AM
Watch Out People !! ~ BEWARE ~ Slim Mojito Monkey Partying People In Progress !! Msslaydbug W.I.S.H 894 10-22-2007 02:23 PM
Leave memorys at Dis photo room right now! The dis scrap book of people! VMK people! Cpt.JackSpearow Virtual Magic Kingdom (VMK) Museum 5 05-20-2006 11:35 AM
water taxis the same for people doing disney excursions and people not doing excursio tigger12jb Disney Cruise Line Forum 4 04-07-2004 09:45 AM
ATTN: Cookie recipe excahnge people...still 3 people to pick up their PMs Meriweather The Creative Community 0 01-13-2003 10:55 AM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: