Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2010, 02:29 PM   #1036
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
That sucks. I wouldn't have stayed in the heat either. Have fun celebrating and being a social butterfly. I know how much you love your karaoke, enjoy!!
LOL, social butterfly I'm just SO in demand!!
I did go wow them at my friends karaoke!! Nobody ever expects the singing voice that comes out of me.....lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohNFriends View Post
Thanks for the awesome TR, DizNee Luver. I just saw it yesterday so didn't read too much, but enjoyed looking at all your pics! I made me hungry and even more excited for my 1st trip ..........in May !
Thanx for stopping in.....still have a ton more to go!! 1st trip.....woo hoo....lots of useful info in this report that might help you plan a few things to include!! Ask questions if you think of any!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac284 View Post
Enjoyed the Knott's portion and you KNOW how I feel about that place LOL but it looks like at least the little ones enjoyed themselves but then kids always have fun pretty much anywhere. My kids like the rides at the fair. EWWW!

Glad you are enjoying your weekend but I must admit I am going through withdrawls LOL.

Have fun today whatever you end up doing and can't wait for the next installment.
Withdrawl no more.....gonna go organize & get back to our Knott's Day!!!!
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:05 PM   #1037
DizNee Luver

Woo Hoo.....back to the report!!

When I left you, we were wandering thru Fiesta Village at Knott's Berry Farm. We were looking for shade & found a very nice spot with seating next to the carousel. I fed Michayla her lunch as Shyann slept in her stroller. Betty sat with me while Mike took Anthony & Addy on the carousel. This carousel is over 100 years old & has some of the strangest looking, hand-carved animals. Here are just a few of them:

Addy, Mike & Anthony:

The boys texted me to say they were in line for Perilous Plunge....so we went in search for them. We got stopped at the train crossing:

Once we got headed in the right direction, we got there just in time to see the ride going up the massive hill. I was hoping it was the boys....but alas....they had just gone!! We missed them! But here is the ride when they climb the hill & then come down at a 75 degree angle....YIKES!

More metal scenery:

This is called the Rip Tide......It should be called "are you nuts?". This thing swings you in a circle as your row of seats spin around forwards & backwards.....got sick just watching it....lol:

This is Supreme Scream....taller than the Maliboomer & goes opposite of it as well. Instead of shooting upwards.....you are taken up to the top 254 feet & then dropped at 50 miles per hour.

Mike, Anthony, Addy & I rode the Log ride. Mike & I rode this non-stop in 1984 (it was in October....so all decorated in Halloween style)....so we had to go check it out again. I didn't take pics but will say that Addy was so darned cute. I hate the drops now & I told her I would put my head down when we got up to the drop.....when we were getting near it....she turns & looks at me & says "Ok, mom, put your head down....it will ok"....lol Love it that my 5 yr old has to keep me safe!!

Shyann & Michayla:

The Excellerator.......this is one of those coasters that you go up a high hill & come straight back down......yuck! I guess Tyler & Derek rode this one:

This is where we ended up for lunch......Coasters......this was the cheeseburger & fries & also the kids chicken strip meal.

Coasters: 5 Cheeseburgers, 5 fries, 2 kid meals & 6 cokes: $96.25
The food was comparable to cafeteria food that had been sitting under the lamps for long periods of time. The burger had no flavor, the fries were whimpy & unseasoned. The prices were crazy!! We've had nice sit down meals at Disneyland (where everyone ate) for the same amount or less!!

Next post will have Tyler & Derek on Boomerang & most of the family leaving!
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

Last edited by DizNee Luver; 07-16-2012 at 01:38 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #1038
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

But, on the plus side they have Pepsi!!

It sounds like you are having a great weekend, and I am thrilled for you.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #1039
DizNee Luver

After our uneventful lunch......Betty wanted to ride on the Calico Railroad (the big train) & she got some pics along the way. Mike, Anthony, Addy & Shyann went as well:

On the train......Addy & Anthony got a bit freaked out when the bandits jumped on to rob them....lol:

Old 08-15-2010, 05:23 PM   #1040
kaoden39
Hugs

We went when I was 7 or 8 years old to Knott's and when we rode the stage coach and the robbers "robbed" us my family thought that it would be funny to not tell me that it was going to happen. I was hysterical and pretty much inconsolable. They were "taking" a prisoner and my dad volunteered. It was horrible. Really ruined the whole trip.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:27 PM   #1041
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You can say that again! The one thing that I don't like about being in Disney! This trip they had Pepsi at the Observatory ... you would have thought someone gave me large sums of cash I was so happy!
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:29 PM   #1042
kaoden39
Hugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofySon'sMom View Post
You can say that again! The one thing that I don't like about being in Disney! This trip they had Pepsi at the Observatory ... you would have thought someone gave me large sums of cash I was so happy!
Too funny. I have in the past been known to take my Diet Pepsi into Disneyland in the past.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:37 PM   #1043
DizNee Luver

As they were off doing that, Nick, Michayla & I went to watch Tyler & Derek on the Boomerang. This is a coaster that pulls you up a big hill, releases you to go thru loops, twists & turns & then back up a steep hill. They then release you to do the whole thing again backwards!!:

When we met back up, Mike, Betty, Nick, Anthony, Addy & the twins decided to head back to the motel (it was about 1:30/2pm) They were hot & we just weren't finding a lot to keep most of the group interested. I stayed with Tyler & Derek so I could do a couple rides.

As the big group was heading home....they took a detour to at least see a beach. The drove to Huntington Beach & only paused long enough to take these 4 pics. They went back to the motel & let the kids play in Castaway Cove & also took short naps. The plan was for them to meet us back at Knott's for dinner at 7:30pm.

I didn't take any pictures of the rides Ty, Derek & I did but here's what we conquered. The first ride we went to was the Ghostrider. It is one of the longest & tallest wooden roller coasters in the world. That being said.....it was unfortunate it was the longest!! I have never ridden on a wooden coaster & didn't think it would be too bad. I was dead wrong!! We waited in line about 30 minutes & then go on. We started out & I thought, this isn't too bad. As you know....drops are not my thing....so when we started the climb for the big hill....I put my head down & held on for dear life. Problem was.....I never could get my head back up, open my eyes....or even scream. This was the longest, scariest, shakiest, joint-jarring thing I'd ever done!! I was so scared that I couldn't even scream. (I told the boys when I'm not screaming....that's a bad thing!) I felt like I had been hit by a semi-truck & then dragged for miles over speed bumps. I have fibromyalgia & I can tell you this was the only day I had to take a muscle relaxant. Never, ever again!!

Ok, with that being over (as I laid on the pavement kissing it & thank God for saving me that day) we decided to take a leisurely rafting trip on the Bigfoot Rapids. This is like Grizzly River Run but way shorter & tamer. It kinda felt like we just did an oval shape & then you were done. Tyler & I got soaked & Derek was virtually dry.....not sure how he does that, but always the scenario on these rides!

We stopped to do a bit of shopping & I found a tshirt saying I had rode the Ghostrider coaster. It also had all the stats on length, height, etc. I will wear this proudly....just like I did the tshirt in Hawaii after I mistakenly para-sailed with a huge fear of heights.....what can I say....the guys working the boat were yummy!!

Our next ride was the Calico Mine Train. I remember this ride from my childhood but couldn't believe how lame it was now. The people (animitronics??) were so bad that all we could do was chuckle on this ride. The narration reminded me of the Jungle Cruise....just not as funny!

The last ride on my bucket list for Knott's was the Jaquar. The boys had rode this earlier & said it was kinda like Big Thunder Mtn RR.....so they were confident that I would be ok with this one. Tyler had a massive headache after getting off the Ghostrider & decided to find some shade & rest. So Derek & I rode it. It was kinda like BTMRR & I had no issues with it.

We exited the park after picking up our family photo. When we were leaving....they said you need a stamp so you can get back in & I think it was Derek that said.....we definitely won't be coming back in....ever! lol

Next up.....outside the park gates & dinner at Mrs Knott's!!

Last edited by DizNee Luver; 07-16-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:42 PM   #1044
DizNee Luver

Quote:

It sounds like you are having a great weekend, and I am thrilled for you.
I LVE Pepsi!! (but not at $4.00 each)

Quote:
We went when I was 7 or 8 years old to Knott's and when we rode the stage coach and the robbers "robbed" us my family thought that it would be funny to not tell me that it was going to happen. I was hysterical and pretty much inconsolable. They were "taking" a prisoner and my dad volunteered. It was horrible. Really ruined the whole trip.
Oh man....that is kinda mean! Anthony & Addy's eyes go kinda big when they stormed in & said Hands UP! Mike & Betty were laughing so they knew it was ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofySon'sMom View Post
I wish we had a choice of Coke or Pepsi....I thought they used to have both.

Quote:
Too funny. I have in the past been known to take my Diet Pepsi into Disneyland in the past.
lol
But you really can't beat the Cherry Cokes at Coke Corner!!
You might find this funny.......I drink Pepsi but I did a report in college on Coca-Cola (the business & how it started) & have collected Coke stuff ever since. Of course I've been thinning it out over the years & am down to 11 boxes that I can't find anyone interested in buying....been trying to sell it for 4 yrs now.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:58 PM   #1045
kaoden39
Hugs

My BFF works as the west coast quality control for Coca Cola's plastic bottle making division. She was an even bigger Pepsi fanatic than I was when we were growing up. When she went to work for them she had to start drinking Coke products at work. Now all she drinks is Coke products. Somewhere along the line her MIL decided that she needed to collect Coca Cola paraphernalia, she has it all over house. I laugh when I see it all.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:20 PM   #1046
DizNee Luver

After leaving the park, we went & looked around at the stores on the street in front of the park. We picked up a few more items & then found ourselves at the candy shop. They had fudge, fudge, fudge!! All sorts of flavors.....we just couldn't resist! It was a good buy too.....buy 4 pieces (which is basically a pound) & get 2 more pieces (another 1/2 lb) for free. So for 6 huge pieces we paid $13.00. I sure wish I would have taken pictures!! We got mint, peanut butter, butterfinger, vanilla/choc, strawberry shortcake & one other....can't remember what it was. While we waited for the rest of the family to get there....we thought about going into TGIF for a drink...but Ty didn't have his ID so we found a bench & waited.

When everyone arrived, we joined the line waiting on the outside of the restaurant. There is a line almost all the time for this place. I thought the line was pretty short for a Friday night. We got in line at 7:45 & I believe we were ordering by 8:30....so not too bad.

Mike got a boysenberry float....yummo!

Derek & I were a bit fried. I burned the tops of my feet & the top of my head this day. I think this was the hottest day of the entire trip.

The biscuits were soft, warm & oh so good!

The kids start off with jello:

The dinner came with a choice of soup or cherry rhubarb (rhubard diced & cooked in cherry juice....very good!) & a garden salad:

Nick ordered the chicken salad while the rest of us ordered the chicken dinner:

The dinners came with chicken, mashed potatoes & gravy & a choice of cabbage & diced ham or corn.....I believe we all went with the corn. (the kids meal came with 2 drumsticks & the adults came with 4 pieces of chicken)

Betty covered this meal, so not sure exactly of the break down but it ran us $165 for 5 chicken dinners, 1 chicken salad, 2 kid meals & 6 drinks + tax + tip.
This meal was worth waiting in line for. The biscuits just melt in your mouth, the chicken was perfectly seasoned, the sides & starters were all good, the boysenberry punch/float were tasty (and different) & each adult meal came with a piece of pie. There is so much food & 2 adults could easily share one of these meals but hey, you only live once....chow down & enjoy!!
This made up for the rest of the day. It was that good & the service was wonderful. We ended our day on a high note!
We will probably never return to Knott's for the park...but we will definitely be driving there for dinner again!

Knott's Berry Farm, the park. Our experience may not be typical or may be the norm. The crowds for a Friday in the summer was surprising. Our longest wait for a ride was 30 mins. Knott's reminded us of a State Fair. It gets set up on a flat, treeless area with rides, carnies, boardwalk games & barkers, mass produced greasy food that is triple the price & just not super friendly workers. It was hard to find shade & when you did find it....there was usually no seating. Walking by games & having the employees calling to you to pay more money was annoying. We found that Camp Snoopy was set up for very little kids & the thrill rides are for the older set. Not a whole lot in the middle or for families to ride together. You could do the trains & stage coach but that tires quickly. We didn't make it to any of their shows, so I can't comment on them. We also didn't see one character running around greeting kids. I wasn't expecting Disneyland but I sure was expecting a bit more than what we saw. It was an expensive $45/per adult for more than half of them to leave in less than 4 hours. Lesson learned!

Next installment will be our Hollywood....lets drive all over day!

Last edited by DizNee Luver; 07-16-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:31 PM   #1047
kaoden39
Hugs

Oh my gosh that meal is huge. But, oh it sounds good. I told Scotty that we are driving over to eat dinner next trip for sure.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:54 PM   #1048
DizNee Luver

So we are on to Day 8 of our adventure. This was our 2nd non-Disney day....sorta....July 31st.

We started our day by sleeping in a bit & then driving to the Krispy Kreme, just south of Anaheim (in Orange I believe) at 10am.

Yummmmmm Krispy Kreme Doughnuts.....ahhhhh:

Next up: LA traffic & in search of the famous Pink's Hot Dog Stand.

Last edited by DizNee Luver; 07-16-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:58 PM   #1049
DizNee Luver

Quote:
Oh my gosh that meal is huge. But, oh it sounds good. I told Scotty that we are driving over to eat dinner next trip for sure.
It is definitely a huge meal & for $16 of good food...not too shabby of a price! Worth the trip & really, it's not that far away!

Old 08-15-2010, 07:07 PM   #1050
DizNee Luver

So we ate doughnuts as we went down the road.....it amazes me that it doesn't seem to matter the time of day or day of the week.....LA traffic is horrendous! Derek decided to take some pictures along the way:

The blimp was hovering & covering the XGames that were in town.....maybe should have done that instead of Knott's.....lol:

As we made our way to Pink's, we passed by Paramount Pics & I was able to snap this shot as we drove by:

Not sure where the boys saw this?:

The famous Pink's Hot Dog Stand.....not exactly what I was expecting.....tucked between other buildings on a busy street....we find Pinks....an older building, a bit run down looking...something you might pass by if not looking for it. We didn't get anything to eat here, but got a few (ok, a lot) of pictures:

From what I've read.....the line goes around the building at all hours of the day....so if you plan on stopping to eat....figure in the time you'll be waiting in line!

Last edited by DizNee Luver; 07-16-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: