Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2010, 02:32 PM   #961
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a great day! Cool pics on Pirates! Mine never come out!

Very cool that Anthony got picked for the show! I have to say that that was the one thing we really didn't enjoy all that much. As much as I love corny that show was over the top even for me! Wish we were at your show ... Anthony being in it would have definitely made it more enjoyable for us!

Mom & Son - The Last Time? August 2013 ~ Mom & Son Take on Spring Break - March 2013
Mom & Son Head to Food & Wine - November 2012 ~ Mom & Son - One More Time with Dad! August 23rd - Sept 3rd 2012
Mom and Son Take on the Land! - July 2010 Trip Report
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:08 PM   #962
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofySon'sMom View Post
Sounds like a great day! Cool pics on Pirates! Mine never come out!

Very cool that Anthony got picked for the show! I have to say that that was the one thing we really didn't enjoy all that much. As much as I love corny that show was over the top even for me! Wish we were at your show ... Anthony being in it would have definitely made it more enjoyable for us!
I had seen a youtube video of it & knew it was right up our alley.....love those music/dance sappy skits.....lol Anthony is like the Golden child at Disneyland...he gets picked for everything!!
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-11-2010, 03:21 PM   #963
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

My old computer is taking a really long time to load these latest pages, so I haven't been able to comment much. I'm surprised my PC even still works.

Just wanted to say that I noticed you have the Kitchen Sink coming up. I referred another DIS-er to the PCH Grill specifically so her family could get that Kitchen Sink. They just got back a few days ago from their DLR trip. Do you know that the Kitchen Sink was "not available" on the night they went to the PCH Grill?! How could it not be available? The only thing I can think of is that they ran out of ice cream or some of the toppings. But talk about disappointing - you go to a restaurant solely for one item and one item only, and that item is not there!! Luckily, she said the food was pretty good and they had a good kids menu so it worked out.

Even though you had trouble getting Jack Sparrow photos, I can't believe you got the POTC shots that you got. And you have a point and shoot? You took those all without a flash, I assume. They came out much, much better than I would expect for a P&S without using a flash.

Great ToonTown shots! I have always loved ToonTown since it opened in '93. I tend to think that the people who mainly love DLR for the rides only avoid ToonTown if they don't have kids because they assume it's only for kids, or they see that it's packed with people and they get scared off. But anyone who is a true fan of photography (amateur or pro), is detail-oriented and really loves to find those overlooked gems and details all around DLR knows that ToonTown is one of the best examples of the famous Disney attention to detail out of anywhere in the resort. It's chock full of inside jokes and hidden gems - which are built, literally, into the ground, into the walls, into the structures, etc. Not to mention that ToonTown is extremely colorful, bright and photogenic. A Bug's Land is quite a good example of the famous Disney details as well. I always think it's a shame when people dismiss TT because there are really a lot of great things to see.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:29 PM   #964
DizNee Luver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
My old computer is taking a really long time to load these latest pages, so I haven't been able to comment much. I'm surprised my PC even still works.

Just wanted to say that I noticed you have the Kitchen Sink coming up. I referred another DIS-er to the PCH Grill specifically so her family could get that Kitchen Sink. They just got back a few days ago from their DLR trip. Do you know that the Kitchen Sink was "not available" on the night they went to the PCH Grill?! How could it not be available? The only thing I can think of is that they ran out of ice cream or some of the toppings. But talk about disappointing - you go to a restaurant solely for one item and one item only, and that item is not there!! Luckily, she said the food was pretty good and they had a good kids menu so it worked out.

Even though you had trouble getting Jack Sparrow photos, I can't believe you got the POTC shots that you got. And you have a point and shoot? You took those all without a flash, I assume. They came out much, much better than I would expect for a P&S without using a flash.

Great ToonTown shots! I have always loved ToonTown since it opened in '93. I tend to think that the people who mainly love DLR for the rides only avoid ToonTown if they don't have kids because they assume it's only for kids, or they see that it's packed with people and they get scared off. But anyone who is a true fan of photography (amateur or pro), is detail-oriented and really loves to find those overlooked gems and details all around DLR knows that ToonTown is one of the best examples of the famous Disney attention to detail out of anywhere in the resort. It's chock full of inside jokes and hidden gems - which are built, literally, into the ground, into the walls, into the structures, etc. Not to mention that ToonTown is extremely colorful, bright and photogenic. A Bug's Land is quite a good example of the famous Disney details as well. I always think it's a shame when people dismiss TT because there are really a lot of great things to see.
That is really weird about the Kitchen Sink...... but the food over there is very good...so glad they weren't super disappointed!

Yes my camera is a point & shoot....AND NO FLASH!!! lol It has a setting for really quick shutter speed & that's what I used for the nighttime & dark ride pics as well as lots of action. It worked out really well. Sometimes I forgot to reset the camera & got some grainy day time pics....but oh well!!

Love going into ToonTown to take pics....as you said...hidden gems & very colorful....I always leave happy!!
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

Old 08-11-2010, 04:08 PM   #965
kelmac284
I wish I lived near one of the parks so I could go anytime I wanted
He was so enamoured with her...

Love the latest installment. We too have never seen that drawn to animation show either. Isn't it funny I have been to DL hundreds of times and it just goes to show there is STILL stuff I haven't seen or done but I think it is mostly because at this stage we are so into doing the rides etc that for our particular group we don't stop to take the time to do it although I have to say that is what I LOVE about doing the ladies trips!!! When mom and I go it is a WHOLE different ball game. We have been SO many times and done it all that we don't feel the need to go on all the rides hundreds of times and we literally sit back and enjoy everything. In fact the last two years I think we only went on a handful of rides each time.

We did some things with the gals that I had never done like the gospel brunch at House of Blues and mom and I take a LOT of time to just sit around and people watch and shop and just enjoy ourselves and not rush around. It is nice. I must admit I am getting too old to be running around LOL. And every time someone says, you are going AGAIIIIINNNNN I can literally say, see there are still things I HAVEN'T done yet!! I didn't even see the Billy Hill show till just a few trips ago and I know there are probably other things I haven't seen or done and with ALL the new stuff coming there is ALWAYS something new to see!

Glad Anthony had fun and as always am anxious for the next installment!!

DL 1st trip 76 last trip 3/14 next trip ??
DW 1st trip 5/02 last trip 11/10 next trip ??
kelmac284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #966
DizNee Luver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac284 View Post
Love the latest installment. We too have never seen that drawn to animation show either. Isn't it funny I have been to DL hundreds of times and it just goes to show there is STILL stuff I haven't seen or done but I think it is mostly because at this stage we are so into doing the rides etc that for our particular group we don't stop to take the time to do it although I have to say that is what I LOVE about doing the ladies trips!!! When mom and I go it is a WHOLE different ball game. We have been SO many times and done it all that we don't feel the need to go on all the rides hundreds of times and we literally sit back and enjoy everything. In fact the last two years I think we only went on a handful of rides each time.

We did some things with the gals that I had never done like the gospel brunch at House of Blues and mom and I take a LOT of time to just sit around and people watch and shop and just enjoy ourselves and not rush around. It is nice. I must admit I am getting too old to be running around LOL. And every time someone says, you are going AGAIIIIINNNNN I can literally say, see there are still things I HAVEN'T done yet!! I didn't even see the Billy Hill show till just a few trips ago and I know there are probably other things I haven't seen or done and with ALL the new stuff coming there is ALWAYS something new to see!

Glad Anthony had fun and as always am anxious for the next installment!!
They offer so many of those little shows, it would be almost impossible to take it all in on one trip or even two & like you said, they're always adding stuff. I think these small little shows are what makes DL special.....they're not like second rate, last minute shows but well thought out & expertly done. Disney definitely has the market on talent!!

Old 08-11-2010, 06:47 PM   #967
DizNee Luver

Hey, we're on to Day 4, July 29!!!

We decided to sleep in & get to the parks in time for our 9:40 reservation at the Carnation Cafe. It was kinda nice not rushing & getting up early. We were able to leisurely walk over to DL & not be on the run for something. We checked in about 9:30 & were asked to wait on the wall.....lol They also had a stand-by line & one guy because he had a GAC thought that he should get seated immediately....with no ressie. They told him he'd have to wait his turn for an opening. Get real buddy....just cause you use a scooter because you are large does not mean you have permission to take away others places & reservations. I thought he had some nerve. If that had worked I would have trumped him because I had 2 GAC's......lol Anyways, back to breakfast......we had a wait of about 15 mins because they were trying to get 2 tables next to each other. They aren't able to accomidate large groups because it is a very small terrace seating area. It was fine....because we were next to each other & that worked out fine.

Here we are:

We ordered Shyann the fruit & yogurt parfait....it was huge & looked very good!!

Addy got the Jr Scramble & Anthony got the Mickey Waffles:

Derek got the Cinnamon Roll French Toast & Tyler got the Croissant Benedict:

Nick got the Apple Pancakes & I got the Oscar's Choice Cafe Scramble:

Mike also got the Croissant Benedict & Betty also got the Oscar's Choice Cafe Scramble:

Chef Oscar was there today & making the rounds. He stopped by the boys table & graciously posed for a pic with them.

He then came to our table where I mentioned these were the best potatoes ever!! He tried to explain how they made them: You saute the onions, you grill the potatoes until they're about halfway cooked. You combine both with salt & pepper & put them into a shallow baking pan. Cover with foil & bake in a 350 degree oven for about 15 mins (until done). I haven't tried this yet....but Mike's ready to give it a shot! We also had our picture taken with him. If you don't know who he is.....you're missing out on a Disneyland legend!! I believe he started at the Carnation Cafe in 1959 & has been there ever since. He told Mike that a few places in Las Vegas has tried to lure him away & he said he always turns them down.....Disneyland IS his home!! Such a sweet man!

6 ADULTS, 2 KIDS, 1 PARFAIT, 6 DRINKS + TAX + TIP = $119.96 with 15% AP Disc. = $105.79
This is a great place for breakfast & I've heard the lunch & dinners are just as good....especially the baked potato soup!! $100 bucks for 10 people not too shabby & worth every penny!! This restaurant is all outdoor seating & limited, so reservations are highly suggested!

Next post will be mommy & daughter time!!

Last edited by DizNee Luver; 08-11-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:05 PM   #968
DizNee Luver

After breakfast, we all broke off into different directions. Mike & Betty wandered up Main Street stopping & sitting in the Carnation Plaza in a nice shaded area with the twins, Tyler & Derek went off to do some rides, Nick took Anthony hoping to get him to the Jedi Academy show & I took Addy for some much needed mommy & me time.

Our first stop was Pixie Hollow. Something I noticed that I found disturbing was the water wasn't as "pretty" as normal. I know they've had some icky weather in Southern Cali, so not surprised to see a bit of green-ness to it....but to see garbage floating in it was not what we've come to expect of DL. Our wait was about 30 mins.....which isn't bad.

They usually take one family in at a time but this time they were stopping families at certain spots to wait to move to the next stop. So you don't really get alone time before you have another family on your heels. I kinda like the way we did it last year....keeping it private. The first pixie we met was Fawn. This is the same one we saw last year. I know Addy was hoping to meet a different one....but seemed to forget soon enough.

We turned the corner & found Tinkerbell! They warn you when you line up that Tink may or may not be there....so I was kinda thinking we might find another fairy besides her. Addy loves Tink, so it all worked out great!!

Next up Princess Fantasy Faire!

Last edited by DizNee Luver; 07-12-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #969
DizNee Luver

After leaving Pixie Hollow we headed up to the Princess Fantasy Faire.....I was sad I had missed it the day she was dressed up as Jasmine. (I had baby nap duty) So I wanted to experience this with her. I have never seen the line that short.....ever!! The sign said 30 mins....but I don't think we even waited 20 mins. We turned the corner & saw Tiana, Belle & Ariel. The same exact 3 Addy saw 2 days ago......lol I was really hoping Addy could meet a rare Mulan or Pocahontus or a favorite: Snow White or Cinderella. Addy seemed a tad disappointed but she never showed it when speaking with them.

First up was Tiana:

Next was Belle:

And finally Ariel. Ariel remembered Addy, so that made her feel pretty special!:

When we were done at the faire, we stopped in their gift area to look around. We bought a couple small tiaras on combs....worked good with Addy's ponytail....but I didn't have anything for the comb to grab on to.....no princess for me.....lol. We went back to the Plaza to reconnect with Mike, Betty and the twins.

When I got there, Mike told me that Nick had texted him to tell them Anthony got picked for the Jedi Academy!! This was the first time he had ever gone & I had spent time explaining to him that he probably wouldn't be chosen. We had read that you needed signs, etc to catch their attention & know of tons of people that have gone many times & their child has never been picked! I tell you....that child is golden in DL!! Here are a few of the pics:

Next up the rest of Jedi Academy!

Last edited by DizNee Luver; 07-12-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:22 PM   #970
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Two wonderful breakfasts!! Yay!! I love breakfast!! It is my favorite meal of the day. Next trip I get to go to Carnation Cafe, even if I have to go alone. I am going to try the potatoes. I love that show and I am thrilled to see Anthony got picked!!
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:30 PM   #971
DizNee Luver

These are the rest of the pics Nick got at the Jedi Academy.

Anthony ended up fighting Darth Maul & at the end of the "training" the kids all graduate & receive a certificate. Anthony was pretty excited when they met back up with us!!

Next post will have the DL Band and a few afternoon pics.

Last edited by DizNee Luver; 07-12-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #972
DizNee Luver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
Two wonderful breakfasts!! Yay!! I love breakfast!! It is my favorite meal of the day. Next trip I get to go to Carnation Cafe, even if I have to go alone. I am going to try the potatoes. I love that show and I am thrilled to see Anthony got picked!!
I always look forward to breakfast there.....I need to try a different meal but I like to mix things up & don't want to give up my breakfast!!

I was shocked when Mike told me that Anthony got picked!! I was so happy for him!

Old 08-11-2010, 08:34 PM   #973
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Oh wow how great for Anthony. Getting picked for two shows that is wonderful!!
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:42 PM   #974
DizNee Luver

Tyler & I were on nap duty today, so we made our way up Main Street & found the Disneyland Band playing at the Flag Pole.....I wish I could have sat & listened for a while, but the babies were ready for lunch & naps. Nick decided to go with us back to the motel.

On our way back to the HoJo, something on the top of my foot started to burn & sting.....I have no idea what I did, but it hurt like crazy & was swollen & discolored by the time we got to our room. So after I got the girls down for naps.....I elevated my foot on the bed & iced it as I caught up my journals & checkbook. Nick returned to meet back up with the rest of them. Not really sure what they did, but Derek did return to the motel around 2pm. In the pics for the afternoon I see they spent some time up at Grizzly River & the kids look to be having fun in the "Splash Zone"!!

About 3:45 they wandered back to the motel so we could drive over to the Paradise Pier Hotel for our dinner......which you guessed...will be next!

Last edited by DizNee Luver; 07-12-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:45 PM   #975
DizNee Luver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
Oh wow how great for Anthony. Getting picked for two shows that is wonderful!!
Very lucky!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: