Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2010, 09:16 PM   #856
koalagirl5
Mouseketeer

I'm fully enjoying your report so far. With all those pictures, I feel like I was there with you. It's almost a stalker-like feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizNee Luver View Post
Don't get me wrong....I love Chip & Dale....but Disneyland seems to throw them down your throat......lol They're everywhere!! You can see them more than any other characters. But are you ready for this........NO STUFFED CHIP & DALE'S OR T-SHIRTS!!!!! My son Derek has a friend that loves them & he had the hardest time finding stuff for her. You can get pins & big lanyard badges but good luck finding anything else. We asked at all the stores, including World of Disney & no one carries anything. Pretty sad!
Don't I know it! That's all my mom wanted from there as a souvenir, and I had to settle on getting her a coffee cup that had just about every character on it. You have to search for Chip and Dale on it. I also grabbed a small bag of the Chip and Dale pretzels for her. She doesn't eat pretzels, but at least she got something with the chipmunks on them

My June 2010 Trip Report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2444446
koalagirl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:25 PM   #857
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koalagirl5 View Post
I'm fully enjoying your report so far. With all those pictures, I feel like I was there with you. It's almost a stalker-like feeling.

Don't I know it! That's all my mom wanted from there as a souvenir, and I had to settle on getting her a coffee cup that had just about every character on it. You have to search for Chip and Dale on it. I also grabbed a small bag of the Chip and Dale pretzels for her. She doesn't eat pretzels, but at least she got something with the chipmunks on them
It's weird huh? You would think that one of the specialty shops would have had them!! I really didn't think that would be the hard request to fill....I figured finding Bashful from the 7 dwarfs would be the task.....but I found a very cute statue! Go figure!
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-09-2010, 03:21 AM   #858
Michelle2
Disneyland will always and forever hold a special place in my heart
Travel is my obsession
poop!

So sorry that Goofy's Kitchen was a disappointment. I think we will have no problem saving the money and skipping it this trip. We were going to try and keep food costs down anyways. We have 6 in our group, so usually its a chunk of change for us too.

LOVE all the pics! Making me SO excited!
Old 08-09-2010, 09:01 AM   #859
kelmac284
I wish I lived near one of the parks so I could go anytime I wanted
He was so enamoured with her...

Hey Laurie, loved the latest installment that I missed while at our party!

So sorry to hear that Goofy's was a dissapointment. Doesn't surprise me though. We very rarely do character meals anymore because A we have done most of them already and B the girls are to the age now that they aren't as into them and we would rather save the money. They usually always do one on the girls trips although I don't think they officially did one last trip. Not the whole group. We did Storytellers our first year and it was fun but not many characters and then they didn't have an official one on the list this last one but then at the last minute a group did surf's up and some of us were supposed to go to Steakhouse 55 and at the last minute it got changed to Goofy's.

I have eaten at Goofy's prob 3 or 4 times and can honestly say I don't remember ever having a bad meal and the characters have always been pretty good but I HAVE had bad meals at some of the restaurants foodwise and I can see about the character interactions. I am so sorry that yours wasn't up to par and esp when you pay all that money. I mean you were not there simply to eat and you are paying a hefty premium FOR those characters so you expect to get what you paid for!

Loving all the new pics and anxious to see more!!

DL 1st trip 76 last trip 3/14 next trip ??
DW 1st trip 5/02 last trip 11/10 next trip ??
kelmac284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:25 AM   #860
srauchbauer
DIS Veteran

loving the TR the pics are getting the entire family excited about disney we are about 10 weeks out. As everyone else i am sorry to hear the Goofy's was a disappoint - I hope this is a rare occurance since we are all looking forward to having brunch there on are visit. Keep the pics coming we are enjoying them alot.
srauchbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:44 AM   #861
DizNee Luver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle2 View Post
So sorry that Goofy's Kitchen was a disappointment. I think we will have no problem saving the money and skipping it this trip. We were going to try and keep food costs down anyways. We have 6 in our group, so usually its a chunk of change for us too.

LOVE all the pics! Making me SO excited!
I'm sorry Goofy's was a disappointment too since it's one of our favorites!! Hopefully things will turn around!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac284 View Post
Hey Laurie, loved the latest installment that I missed while at our party!

So sorry to hear that Goofy's was a dissapointment. Doesn't surprise me though. We very rarely do character meals anymore because A we have done most of them already and B the girls are to the age now that they aren't as into them and we would rather save the money. They usually always do one on the girls trips although I don't think they officially did one last trip. Not the whole group. We did Storytellers our first year and it was fun but not many characters and then they didn't have an official one on the list this last one but then at the last minute a group did surf's up and some of us were supposed to go to Steakhouse 55 and at the last minute it got changed to Goofy's.

I have eaten at Goofy's prob 3 or 4 times and can honestly say I don't remember ever having a bad meal and the characters have always been pretty good but I HAVE had bad meals at some of the restaurants foodwise and I can see about the character interactions. I am so sorry that yours wasn't up to par and esp when you pay all that money. I mean you were not there simply to eat and you are paying a hefty premium FOR those characters so you expect to get what you paid for!

Loving all the new pics and anxious to see more!!
We'd never had an issue with Goofy's. We've always seen a number of characters in the morning & our only complain prior to this trip was one of the dinners we only saw 4 characters in the restaurant & 1 at the photo op. This time we saw 3 inside & 1 at photo op. I had always seen 7-8 characters everytime we had gone.....so when we only got 5 total.....I just figured it was a slow night. This time the whole thing seemed off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srauchbauer View Post
loving the TR the pics are getting the entire family excited about disney we are about 10 weeks out. As everyone else i am sorry to hear the Goofy's was a disappoint - I hope this is a rare occurance since we are all looking forward to having brunch there on are visit. Keep the pics coming we are enjoying them alot.
I hope so too.....I'll be interested to see how things go for you!! It's always been the place we look forward to as well......so I really hope things are better.....much better when you get there!!
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

Old 08-09-2010, 12:05 PM   #862
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

I've gotten 5 characters at Goofy's (including the one at the entrance) a few times! I guess it never bothered me because it meant that I could actually eat and not have to stop every minute to take a photo (which is what it used to be like in the old, old days of Goofy's - in the early '90s)!

Laurie - I think you had the perfect storm of misfires at Goofy's Kitchen on the day you went! It sounds like your usual experience there might be slightly different from mine, so seeing fewer characters along with the lack of birthday attention, the less than stellar food and the lackluster service, was not what you are used to at all, as you said (whereas it might have been okay for me). I think everything combined together made it one big disaster!

Hopefully whatever it is that was the cause of the downward turn in the Goofy's food and service quality when you were there will be fixed. I'm still thinking - new staff. That would explain a lot.

Anyway, the Alice-Mad Hatter-Queen photos are darling!!

I'm thinking maybe the Haunted Mansion stretching room portraits and the ToonTown art were either in a different section of the DLH (still upstairs, though) or have been taken down and replaced with something else. I must investigate next time I am there! I have to see if I can even remember where they used to be in the DLH to be able to track them! That art (like in the photos you posted) is another nice touch to the DLH that really gives it that magical Disney touch!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #863
DizNee Luver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
I've gotten 5 characters at Goofy's (including the one at the entrance) a few times! I guess it never bothered me because it meant that I could actually eat and not have to stop every minute to take a photo (which is what it used to be like in the old, old days of Goofy's - in the early '90s)!

Laurie - I think you had the perfect storm of misfires at Goofy's Kitchen on the day you went! It sounds like your usual experience there might be slightly different from mine, so seeing fewer characters along with the lack of birthday attention, the less than stellar food and the lackluster service, was not what you are used to at all, as you said (whereas it might have been okay for me). I think everything combined together made it one big disaster!

Hopefully whatever it is that was the cause of the downward turn in the Goofy's food and service quality when you were there will be fixed. I'm still thinking - new staff. That would explain a lot.

Anyway, the Alice-Mad Hatter-Queen photos are darling!!

I'm thinking maybe the Haunted Mansion stretching room portraits and the ToonTown art were either in a different section of the DLH (still upstairs, though) or have been taken down and replaced with something else. I must investigate next time I am there! I have to see if I can even remember where they used to be in the DLH to be able to track them! That art (like in the photos you posted) is another nice touch to the DLH that really gives it that magical Disney touch!
I know that was not the norm for Goofy's & am hoping, like you said....things will get better!! It could have just been one of those BAD Mondays....but with a group our size....that was a lot of money to leave feeling the way we did. I have not given up on it.....I will go back!!

We loved the Musical Chairs game.....it was fun for the kids to participate & fun for me to watch!!

We love looking at all the memorabilia & artwork at the DLH!! I wish I had more time to do so.....this trip seemed like we left with out accomplishing much of anything. A very weird feeling!!

Old 08-09-2010, 12:38 PM   #864
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I know that was not the norm for Goofy's & am hoping, like you said....things will get better!! It could have just been one of those BAD Mondays....but with a group our size....that was a lot of money to leave feeling the way we did. I have not given up on it.....I will go back!!

We loved the Musical Chairs game.....it was fun for the kids to participate & fun for me to watch!!

We love looking at all the memorabilia & artwork at the DLH!! I wish I had more time to do so.....this trip seemed like we left with out accomplishing much of anything. A very weird feeling!!
I used to think it was only the short DLR trips - like the 2-day visits, perhaps - that left me feeling like I had not even accomplished 50% of what I wanted to do. I always told myself that if I had a longer trip of X number of days, I would be able to get it all done. But I hear back from other people who went for several days or more - and they didn't get it all done, either!

I am beginning to think that is all part of the dreaded DSE - Disney Snowball Effect. No matter how much we do (and from your detailed photos, which are fabulous, it looks like you did a lot) or how long we stay, we will still leave DLR with the knowledge that we didn't accomplish everything on our "lists." I think DLR pumps a chemical into the air that we breathe in so that as soon as we leave we are thinking, "I have to get back there soon to do [fill in the blank] because I didn't get it done last time!"

I sometimes forget all the little hidden gems around the DLH. In the last decade I have either stayed at the PPH, the GCH or just gone home at the end of the night. And when we go to Goofy's, we usually just go there and leave without wandering around the DLH. So it's been a long time since I have been to that upstairs portrait area or seen the cool memorabilia/souvenir wall, or even the bronze statues in the lobby. There used to be so many other restaurants and shops at the DLH (pre-Downtown Disney and Grand Californian construction) - it was really a great place to hang out for the day. Of course, they got rid of a whole chunk of the DLH but many of the gems are still around.

I am saddened that the waterfalls and koi ponds are due to be removed from the DLH - those have always been things that, I think, are real highlights of that property and give it a kind of lush, tropical feel.

Anyway - looking forward to more of the TR and more pictures!!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014

Last edited by Sherry E; 08-09-2010 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Typo!
Old 08-09-2010, 12:39 PM   #865
DizNee Luver

After the Musical Chairs we headed back up Main Street & found a shady spot near the Guided Tours Office to wait for Mike, Tyler & the twins to come back to the park. When they got there, we headed out to go towards DTD. Tyler went to DCA to catch up with his brothers. He snapped a few pics of the Green Army Men in Paradise Pier:

The rest of us made our way thru DTD towards the House of Blues. I was going to have my first DIS meet-up with GoofySon'sMom that I had conversed back & forth with on the trip report thread. We found our trip was at the same time & tried to schedule a few minutes to meet in person. They were finishing lunch & we were headed to the Rainforest Cafe for an early dinner....so we figured this would work out best. We waited out by the fountains in front of the HoB & let the kids play in the water.

Pretty soon, I see her & her son coming out.....hard to miss with their Boston Red Sox shirts on.....lol!! It was great meeting her in person & found it funny that we ended up comparing notes on Goofy's Kitchen (they didn't have a good experience either). We got a couple pics together (the 2 hubby's were on camera duty...lol):

This is her son Andrew, Vicki, Anthony, Me holding Michayla & Adaleah.

I hadn't seen the 3 older boys come by yet....so we decided to head towards the Rainforest Cafe to wait for them there. Vicki & her family joined us so we could chat a bit longer. The boys showed up & Vicki was able to meet Nick who she also had chatted with on the TR thread. We said our goodbyes & headed in to check-in for our dinner.

The outside of the RFC:

Some of the inside decor of the restaurant:

We were seated on the first floor in one of the semi-private corners. It's kinda like going into a cave.....lol This actually was better for Michayla who was already stressing out. We were able to bring her stroller in if she needed to "escape". Which she did about half way thru our time here.

Last edited by DizNee Luver; 07-11-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:47 PM   #866
DizNee Luver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
I used to think it was only the short DLR trips - like the 2-day visits, perhaps - that left me feeling like I had not even accomplished 50% of what I wanted to do. I always told myself that if I had a longer trip of X number of days, I would be able to get it all done. But I hear back from other people who went for several days or more - and they didn't get it all done, either!

I am beginning to think that is all part of the dreaded DSE - Disney Snowball Effect. No matter how much we do (and from your detailed photos, which are fabulous, it looks like you did a lot) or how long we stay, we will still leave DLR with the knowledge that we didn't accomplish everything on our "lists." I think DLR pumps a chemical into the air that we breathe in so that as soon as we leave we are thinking, "I have to get back there soon to do [fill in the blank] because I didn't get it done last time!"

I sometimes forget all the little hidden gems around the DLH. In the last decade I have either stayed at the PPH, the GCH or just gone home at the end of the night. And when we go to Goofy's, we usually just go there and leave without wandering around the DLH. So it's been a long time since I have been to that upstairs portrait area or seen the cool memorabilia/souvenir wall, or even the bronze statues in the lobby. There used to be so many other restaurants and shops at the DLH (pre-Downtown Disney and Grand Californian construction) - it was really a great place to hang out for the day. Of course, they got rid of a whole chunk of the DLH but may of the gems are still around.

I am saddened that the waterfalls and koi ponds are due to be removed from the DLH - those have always been things that, I think, are real highlights of that property and give it a kind of lush, tropical feel.

Anyway - looking forward to more of the TR and more pictures!!
We found this trip was difficult with the twins & even Mike's mom was struggling getting around....so the pace was totally different this trip. Not that we were ever running from one thing to the next...but things we never miss....got missed. Things we really wanted to do this trip....never got done. Rides we like to do multiple times....didn't really happen either. So when I got home & realized the number of things I missed.....I kept trying to figure out how that was possible with 6 days!!

The waterfalls & koi ponds are being taken out!! Say it ain't so!! That really saddens me....especially since I didn't get back to them this trip. I love that area & it makes the DLH special. To be honest with you....I've seen pics of the remodeled rooms & don't like the direction they're taking this hotel. The older, charming style & 4 poster beds made this hotel special....now it just looks like any other "nice" hotel......just sad!

Old 08-09-2010, 12:57 PM   #867
DizNee Luver

After being seated these pics were taken of the family:

Mike, Betty & Anthony.....love the finger....those silly boys!

Nick & Addy:

Laurie & Shyann:

Derek & Michayla:

Tyler's Self Portrait:

Ty also got a few pics:

The Birthday Boy!!

Another Self Portrait by Ty:

As we were looking at the menus:

Twins:

More random pics at the table:

Not sure what Anthony's problem was.....lol

More Rainforest Cafe to come!!

Last edited by DizNee Luver; 07-11-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:14 PM   #868
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
We found this trip was difficult with the twins & even Mike's mom was struggling getting around....so the pace was totally different this trip. Not that we were ever running from one thing to the next...but things we never miss....got missed. Things we really wanted to do this trip....never got done. Rides we like to do multiple times....didn't really happen either. So when I got home & realized the number of things I missed.....I kept trying to figure out how that was possible with 6 days!!

The waterfalls & koi ponds are being taken out!! Say it ain't so!! That really saddens me....especially since I didn't get back to them this trip. I love that area & it makes the DLH special. To be honest with you....I've seen pics of the remodeled rooms & don't like the direction they're taking this hotel. The older, charming style & 4 poster beds made this hotel special....now it just looks like any other "nice" hotel......just sad!
First of all - looove those Rainforest Cafe photos above (both the inside and outside ones)! Again, great job taking such detailed pictures! Really excellent job with that! I am lucky if I can even get a picture of one of the birds in the trees in RFC, but it's usually too crowded or busy to do much picture-taking. It's too bad that RFC is starting to get more bad reviews lately from other DIS-ers. I think it has a really extensive menu and my food has always been good. Plus, it's such a fun atmosphere. I hope they are not slipping too much in service & quality.

I hate that feeling of coming home from a DLR trip and realizing that, despite your best planning efforts, you not only didn't do the extra things you wanted to do, but you didn't do the things you would normally do (such as riding things multiple times) either. You are exhausted, and yet feel incomplete somehow!

And I totally know what you mean about the pace of a trip too. Sometimes you can be there and things seem very leisurely, with no real destination and no one is rushing to get anywhere (even if you have things on the agenda). Other times, the pace can seem very purposeful and the trip is very productive. Also, sometimes one friend or another on my trips is ailing with something or other, so we have to stop so they can rest.

Yes - as far as I know, the waterfalls and koi ponds are still on track to be removed. About a month or two ago on the Disney Parks Blog, it was mentioned that, as part of this whole DLH makeover, they are adding in a new retro-Tahitian restaurant (which will take the place of Hook's Pointe) that is reminiscent of the old Tahitian Terrace in Adventureland. Also, they are totally revamping the pool and re-theming it, adding water slides and all kinds of things. When the pool work gets underway, they supposedly have to remove the waterfalls and koi ponds because there wasn't quite enough area/room to expand and develop the pool area and maintain the waterfalls and the koi pond.

I kept hoping that, somehow, they would only be temporarily removing the waterfalls and koi. Really, if they are going to be adding in a Tahitian place, wouldn't the falls and the koi be a nice tropical complement to the theme of the restaurant? But I think it is supposed to be permanent. And I think it's a big mistake. Those things made the DLH unique and set it apart from the other 2 DLR hotels.

I really think DLR/TDA doesn't know which way to go with the DLH. They have removed so many great things from the DLH over the years, and it seems to me like they can't decide whether to make it tropical or retro. Sometimes they seem to want it to be 'classic Disney' and neither retro nor tropical. Sometimes they seem to want it to be more 'fantasy-like.'

I know what you mean about the refurbished rooms. I think they look like very nice rooms with very nice beds - but they don't look like what I picture as being part of the DLH. You're right - they look like they could belong to another hotel - any other nice hotel.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:37 PM   #869
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

The rest of us made our way thru DTD towards the House of Blues. I was going to have my first DIS meet-up with GoofySon'sMom that I had conversed back & forth with on the trip report thread. We found our trip was at the same time & tried to schedule a few minutes to meet in person. They were finishing lunch & we were headed to the Rainforest Cafe for an early dinner....so we figured this would work out best. We waited out by the fountains in front of the HoB & let the kids play in the water.

Pretty soon, I see her & her son coming out.....hard to miss with their Boston Red Sox shirts on.....lol!! It was great meeting her in person & found it funny that we ended up comparing notes on Goofy's Kitchen (they didn't have a good experience either). We got a couple pics together (the 2 hubby's were on camera duty...lol):

This is her son Andrew, Vicki, Anthony, Me holding Michayla & Adaleah.

I
Hey that's me!

Loved meeting you all! I am almost up to our meet in my report, not quite!

I just went thru all your pics while eating my lunch! Boy you do take a lot of pictures! Wow! Wish I had thought to take that many! I have absolutely loved reliving your (and our) trip thru them!
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:07 PM   #870
DizNee Luver

Here are the drinks!!

Derek's first official drink as a 21 yr old~~The Pink Parrot Lemonade:

Ty got the Panama Punch but didn't get very far with it....lol:

The rainbow Icee's....the kids & I had these:

Next up was our dinners. The chef came out & spoke with us about Shyann's needs & we decided that she could have the Buttered Pasta with Applesauce:

Addy got the Dino Nuggets & Fries:

Anthony got the Pizza:

Derek got the Pastalava (spicy jumbalaya):

Tyler got the Amazon Fajitas:

Nick got the Guacamole Burger:

I got the Lava Nachos:

Mike got the Chicken & Ribs:

Betty got the Tuscan Chicken:

For Derek's Birthday we ordered the Volcano!! (brownie cake, vanilla ice cream, caramel & chocolate sauce & whip cream)

The next post will have the rest of our evening!

Last edited by DizNee Luver; 07-11-2012 at 04:53 PM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: