Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2010, 10:38 PM   #16
Duckyiam71
DIS Veteran

My first extra was the best thing...a Segway tour in EPCOT for my husband and I. But then I noticed you have children so that is out of the question. We are staying at POR and we are going to do cane fishing. I know they have other fishing things on property but not as cheap. A family of 6 is something like $15 for the half hour. With children your age, I would go with a character meal. I would also make sure you try all modes of transportation. My littlest one loved taking the boat to MK..something that is free. I would try not to spend a lot of money on any one thing because in my experience is the little one would disrupt it somehow someway. Not saying your children would, it was just my luck that he was going through the terrible two's while on vacation!
Duckyiam71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:38 PM   #17
3princesses+aprince
DIS Veteran

I haven't read through the other replys yet, but I will for some more ideas!

We went to Disney for the first time in May:
We played mini golf, Love it! We had 2 rooms so we had two free vouchers.
We rented a boat in DTD, the suntracker. We also have 4 kids! This was so fun. It's one of our fondest memories! We'll remember that forever.

For our trip in September, our extras will be:

lots of character and sit down meals seeing how we're doing the ddp. We just did the qsdp in May.
boat rental again
Mini golf again
renting surrey bikes
wishes cruise (this is pricey, but something that I really want to do)
waterparks
disney quest (we're adding the water park and more option to our ticket)
Possibly a photo session as well

Our very magical, very first trip to Disney World!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2182745

Come check out my Pre Trip Report, May 09
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2066680
3princesses+aprince is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2010, 05:12 AM   #18
happymommy
DIS Veteran

There is so much to see and do just at the parks and the resorts, that honestly for the kids' first visit, I can't imagine the need to add anything. Just a break in the pool and all the parks are a lot! My kids have never even gone to either water park in all their visits, and never asked to.

If your kids like characters, they may like a character meal. I personally don't care for them, but many folks like them.

I wouldn't worry about planning extras for a first visit. Maybe the next one or two, but the first one you are seeing it all for the first time!

Previous WDW vacations include:
CR as a child with parents 1992 offsite twice 1993 Honeymoon GF 1995 BC 1996 SOG 2000 GF 2001 BWV 2003 (spring break) CR 2003 (summer) AKL 2003 (Christmas break including NYE) AKL concierge 2005 summer BWV 2006 April Swan 2006 August Dolphin 2007 March AKL 2007 August Dolphin 2008 March 7 Night Western on the Magic
2008 August (The Dark Side) PBH 2008 Dec BWI 2009 March Swan 2010 March Offsite (Grande Vista) 2010 December BWV plus 2 nights Marriott's Harbour Lake and 3 bonus nights snowed in at the Aiport Renaissance 2011 March Offsite (Marriott's Harbour Lake) 2012 August Offsite (Marriott's Grande Vista and Sabal Palms) March 2014 BWV
happymommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #19
tlh0726
DIS Veteran

We did not plan anything extra for our trip last year and I am not planning on adding any extras for our April trip.
There is so much to see and do that is free.
Once DH and I feel that we need a little extra something, then we will rethink our plan.

One other thought you might consider is setting the kids up for higher expectations on future trips. If they do all the extras now, they will be expecting the same or not more the next time.

Apr 2014 Offsite, Aug 2013 Pop Century, Apr 2013 Fort Wilderness, Nov 2012 Pop Century, June 2012 Fort Wilderness, Mar 2012 Offsite,
Aug 2011 Offsite, Apr 2011 Pop Century, Oct 2010 Pop Century, Apr 2010 Fort Wilderness, Mar 2009 Pop Century, June 1997 Offsite, Dec 1996 Offsite
tlh0726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #20
debdreamsofdis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckyiam71 View Post
I would try not to spend a lot of money on any one thing because in my experience is the little one would disrupt it somehow someway.
I see you've met my child already

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdougherty View Post
For adults a tradition is diving in the living sea. There are programs forsnorkeling and a dolphin session too, BUT we dive there for we get in the water with that shark EVERY YEAR. I love it even though that shark freaks me out.

Cheers!
Omg, that sounds AWESOME! I would love to do that! (see, now I've added another extra to the wish list.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh0726 View Post
We did not plan anything extra for our trip last year and I am not planning on adding any extras for our April trip.
There is so much to see and do that is free.
Once DH and I feel that we need a little extra something, then we will rethink our plan.

One other thought you might consider is setting the kids up for higher expectations on future trips. If they do all the extras now, they will be expecting the same or not more the next time.
This is very true and we have stuck with this philosophy with our trips to Disneyland. However, with us living so far away from DisneyWorld and this being the only trip there for a very long time since airfare costs us an arm and a leg, I'd like to have them experience something that they wouldn't normally have a chance to. I'm thinking the Pirate cruise would be great for my boys, as people pointed out, the next time we go, they may be too old for it.

Thank you everyone for your input and sharing your experience! It's very helpful!!
debdreamsofdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:09 PM   #21
julirina
Close your mouth, Michael. We are not a codfish.

What about having the kids stay at one of the childcare facilities/Kids' Clubs while you and DH have a romantic evening together? My kids LOVE time out from Mommy and Daddy, and the feeling is mutual by the end of the trip.

julirina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:37 PM   #22
Juliet25
DIS Veteran

Great topic! I'm always looking for new ideas.

We like to visit Fort Wilderness and walk around the farmyard there. There's a big barn and you can see horses from the parade (including Cinderella's white ponies). Guest age 3(???) and up can get a pony ride around a paddock. It's a nice, low-key afternoon away from the crowds. They also have a hayride in the evening that we plan to do.
Juliet25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:52 PM   #23
DisneyMomma09
Mouseketeer

One extra that I haven't seen is visiting the Barber Shop at the Magic Kingdom. My husband got his hair cut there on our last trip and they added paint and 'pixie dust' for free! On our trip in June we are taking DS there for his first haircut.

My Disney Princess 1/2 Marathon Trip Report!
I Wish I May, I Wish I Might, Please Don't Let Us Miss Our Flight! An August 2011 PTR
*New! Interpreting Toddler-Speak at Disney! Aug 2011 TR*

August 2006 Wilderness Lodge, August 2007 Wilderness Lodge, June 2008 Saratoga Springs, November 2008 Wilderness Lodge, June 2010 Old Key West, February 2011 Bay Lake Towers (Finished Princess 1/2!), August 2011 Port Orleans French Quarter
DisneyMomma09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:04 PM   #24
tinkerfan1
DIS Veteran

We've done La Nouba once. We'd like to do it again. Our sons have done pin trading but DH and I would like to give that a try, too. I'm sort of jealous of my youngest son's collection!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: