Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #76
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyNY View Post
Seriously, so if I want to find a secluded, shaded spot to read a book, how can I do it at POP or if I like to rent a little boat or ride a bike can I do it at POP and what exactly can I do there execpt riding elevator? I never stayed at POR/POFQ but CBR and CSR are so much better then value.
Not everyone needs a secluded, shaded spot to read a book; but if you want a quiet spot at Pop, try along the lake or on the bridge. Every resort has its own unique characteristics that make them great places to stay. People just need to open their minds and forget the labels.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #77
tndisneyfan
DIS Veteran

I think I would put nicer refidgerators in the rooms. Not necessarily a full size, but something better than the dorm room fridges. One with a freezer so you can freeze water bottles. I would also do something about the water quality at the water fountains, especially at MK. The water there is gross.

It doesn't really apply to me, but I would also do something to make WDW resorts more friendly to larger families.
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2010, 11:53 PM   #78
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
Not everyone needs a secluded, shaded spot to read a book; but if you want a quiet spot at Pop, try along the lake or on the bridge. Every resort has its own unique characteristics that make them great places to stay. People just need to open their minds and forget the labels.
What labels have to do with hotel *s, you can have your mind as open as you want but you get what you paid for, room, bus, pool, food court, nothing else, not even trees. You can enjoy watching birds along the lake, not that you can sit there and you can make your own fun, like counting red cars on a parking lot, since hotel provides none. The only good thing about value is access to Disney transportation and price.

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
KellyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:03 AM   #79
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Exactly. These beauties (cranes, maybe Sandhilll Cranes?) do not hang out where it is loud and noisy. I took this photo on the back path of Pop Century. You can see the bridge to the unfinished side of resort behind them.

BTW, these guys are 4-5 feet tall.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:33 AM   #80
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
What labels have to do with hotel *s, you can have your mind as open as you want but you get what you paid for, room, bus, pool, food court, nothing else, not even trees. You can enjoy watching birds along the lake, not that you can sit there and you can make your own fun, like counting red cars on a parking lot, since hotel provides none. The only good thing about value is access to Disney transportation and price.
I'm not sure where you go the impression that the Value resorts are all parking lots with no landscaping, but you are wrong. There are plenty of trees and shade areas at the Value resorts, they are not just big cement buildings plunked down in the middle of a parking lot.

I also thing Value resorts have many good qualities. The food courts are the best on property, imho. Plus the Value resorts have a fun, peppy atmosphere that I don't feel at the Moderate or Deluxe resorts.

Sometimes people don't want anything from a resort except a place to eat, and a place to sleep. Why not have something with fewer extras that is on the cheaper side of the scale?
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:24 AM   #81
declansdad
DIS Dad#639

Quote:
Have you ever been to a value resort? It doesn't sound like it by your descriptions.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds

Old 01-21-2010, 08:33 AM   #82
Tynk13x
It's a Disney thing, you wouldn't understand!

I'm going to put this post back on track.

As the VP of Guest Comfort, my first task is to find out what kind of money is in the budget for this title. I know that Disney Parks alone made 1.4 billion(net, not gross). I have been allotted the .4. I will then do some research on what Guests want.

-Fixed price hotels. $75 Value, $125 Moderate, and $200 Deluxe. It does not matter the season. This way we could do away with room pin codes. Club level is an additional $25. For DVC resorts...$225 Studio, $275 One BDRM, $325 Two BDRM, and $400 for the Three BDRM.

-Going back to the original DDP. App, Entree, Dessert, Tip. $ 40 per Adult, $10 per Child. (Parents of Children who are between the ages of 10 and 15 have the option to stay with the kids plan, or to upgrade to the adult plan. That way if you have a picky eater, you don't feel as if you are being ripped off once the child turns 10)

-Fridges, Microwaves, and Hi-Speed in all rooms. If you don't use them, that is fine. They are standard, like beds.

-Loyalty program. For those guests that have been, but keep coming back. I know not all come back every year, so AP's wouldn't be a benefit. Each trip, after your first, you accumulate points. One point per night. Points are worth $10 Disney Dollars each. What you do with them is up to you. They never expire. You can leave them on your account, and only take them when you want to. They do roll over with each trip, so you don't have to stress about using them by the end of your stay.

-Free Continental breakfast in all resorts. (Juice, muffins, bagels, and fruit.)

The public has spoken, and I am going to try and meet all demands.
3/05 Offsite, 5/06 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 12/06 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 9/07 Polynesian, 9/07 Disney Wonder, 9/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 Coronado Springs, 5/09 Caribbean Beach, 10/09 Port Orleans French Quarter, 10/09 Coronado Springs

Last edited by Tynk13x; 01-21-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Tynk13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:26 AM   #83
erincon23
Everyone must have gotten a life in the last few days
As you can see, I have gotten sidetracked

OP here-- some fantastic ideas! I like all the discussion (i.e. arguments...) about certain items! While I think, in general, WDW does a great job of catering to their guests, in recent years their focus has turned more to cost-efficiency rather than guest comfort. Find the cheapest thing, the "least we can get away with" and go with that. And I really think for the money they charge us, they could go a little farther.

- Erin

me DH DS16 DS20 On our last family trip, 3/09
erincon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:07 AM   #84
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Have you ever been to a value resort? It doesn't sound like it by your descriptions.
I was there and this is why I can say there is nothing there to do or enjoy, can you name any activities provided by resort, except pool and arcade provided by every resort, even the cheapest offsites? As somebody said, if you spend all time in parks and only need a place to eat and sleep then yes value is perfect but if you like me spend a lot of time in resort then sorry, you can not enjoy Motel6 with oversized decor, JMHO.

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
KellyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #85
JDUCKY
Local Yocal

Quote:
I was there and this is why I can say there is nothing there to do or enjoy, can you name any activities provided by resort, except pool and arcade provided by every resort, even the cheapest offsites? As somebody said, if you spend all time in parks and only need a place to eat and sleep then yes value is perfect but if you like me spend a lot of time in resort then sorry, you can not enjoy Motel6 with oversized decor, JMHO.
*ahem*

http://www.passporterboards.com/foru...s-ratings.html

Quote:
When we checked in we got a calendar of resort activities. - movie nights at the pool, hoola hoop contests, trivia games, etc. We did not participate in any of these activities, but the movie night at least seemed to be well attended by families with young kids. (We didn't see any of the other activities - I think they took place during the day and we spent all day at the parks)

Quote:
Some poolside activities, primarily for kids, have been added. There is a nightly movie, bingo (extra charge), scavenger hunt, etc. Hair wraps are available and a sketch artist is located inside Melody Hall.

Disneyworld? Not so much anymore. FP- has ruined the experience for locals
Disneyland Paris - First trip (part of Honeymoon) - March 2012
Disneyland - 1st wedding anniversary - Dec 2012; Road Trip July 2013
JDUCKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:56 AM   #86
twokids0204
DIS Dad #561
I control the universe.... scared yet?

I have to say, I haven't read through this entire thread, but one question comes to mind for me.

Some people are suggesting more buses, better dining options, eliminate ALL kids from coming becauses strollers are no longer allowed (I am taking creative licensing on my interpretation), better coffee, wi-fi availablity, etc, etc, etc...

These things all come with an added expense of:
a) The new salary of the VP of Guest Comfort
b) Research
c) Aquistion
d) Integration
etc...

My question is: How much would YOU the guest pay for these ammenities? and where do we allocate the cost to? I also read that Values should remain bareboned, so how does WDW recover this HUGE additional expense.

Me (Brian) DW (Sheri) DD12 DS10
Member #561
twokids0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:23 PM   #87
JDUCKY
Local Yocal

Quote:
Originally Posted by twokids0204 View Post
I have to say, I haven't read through this entire thread, but one question comes to mind for me.

Some people are suggesting more buses, better dining options, eliminate ALL kids from coming becauses strollers are no longer allowed (I am taking creative licensing on my interpretation), better coffee, wi-fi availablity, etc, etc, etc...

b) Research
c) Aquistion
d) Integration
etc...

My question is: How much would YOU the guest pay for these ammenities? and where do we allocate the cost to? I also read that Values should remain bareboned, so how does WDW recover this HUGE additional expense.

Disney Dollars, of course!

Come on, folks! This is a "gee-whiz", "what would I do if I were in charge" kind of thing. If I was King for a Day. Let's not squabble over the trivial matters of cost. This is DISNEY!

Disneyworld? Not so much anymore. FP- has ruined the experience for locals
Disneyland Paris - First trip (part of Honeymoon) - March 2012
Disneyland - 1st wedding anniversary - Dec 2012; Road Trip July 2013
JDUCKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:46 PM   #88
Virtucomp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twokids0204 View Post

b) Research
c) Aquistion
d) Integration
etc...

From what i've read here the person who is VP of Comfort would gladly word for free season passes and a room at a Deluxe resort when they need it.

BTW I took some heat for the stroller idea. I have to clearify. The park is very crowded is some areas because of the number of strollers being used. I've seen many strollers being used that only carry bags of items purchased and a backpack of things needed in the park. If you have a 1 to 2 yr old and your running around the park with your older child I can see the need for a stroller. The little one can't keep up. (Yes I have kids its been a long time since the stroller though). I just like to see kids getting exercise.

Now as far as paying out new VP, I think the percentage of people who would returned to WDW more because it is so much more comfortable with all the new ideas would greatly offset the 1 salary of the VP.
Aug 1990 Fort Wilderness Camp, Nov 2000 All Star Movie, Oct 2003 All Star Music, May 2005 Pop, June 2006 Pop, Aug 2007 POFQ, May 2010 POFQ, Dec 2011 Caribbean Beach, May 2013 Boardwalk, September 2014 Coronado Springs Food & Wine Festival, December 2014 First Disneyland Trip
Virtucomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:11 PM   #89
declansdad
DIS Dad#639

Quote:

Your question has been answered in post #85.

me dw (pooksma) ds

Old 01-21-2010, 01:15 PM   #90
declansdad
DIS Dad#639

If I was the vp I would take all the labels away from the resorts so no one could be called a resort snob or look down at other resorts. I would have free welcome drinks (like on fantasy island), more buses and taxi vouchers for those who missed the bus, moving walkways throughout the park so no one would ever need to worry about strollers/EVCs/too much walking.

As technology changes I would get rid of the transportation system as we know it now and replace it with transporters.

me dw (pooksma) ds

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: