Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 01:46 PM   #61
robinb
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 30,838

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
I have some questions about your improvements. If you added fridges and coffee makers to all resorts, would you then increase the cost of those resorts to pay for them? Ditto with the shaded waiting areas for all busses. If you have those things, you are pretty much making the Value resorts over into Moderate resorts. Would you just do away with the Value class of resort, or what kind of resort would you have for those who do not feel the need to pay for extras life a fridge or shaded bus stop?
I remember when the moderates did not have fridges or coffee makers. Adding them to POR did not make it into deluxe resort and did not increase the price of the room . Fridges and coffee makers do not make a moderate resort. You get so much more when you book a moderate over a value resort.

You get:
* a better pool with a slide and a hot tub
* bigger rooms
* nicer furnishings
* ceiling fans
* bigger bathrooms
* lusher landscaping and a theme that does not include giant icons
* access to a TS restaurant
* bus stops and parking that is close to your room
* bus stops closer to the park
* queen-sized beds at CSR

I'm sure I missed something, but that was off the top of my head.

Quote:
I don't think an off-site hotel compares with a Disney one, even if ithe off-site resort comes with a coffee pot and refrigerator.
You're right, some are much better . I do prefer Disney resorts over the offsite variety when I am staying at WDW but that is mostly because I enjoy being immersed in the "Disney magic". My point is that the vast majority of tourist class hotels have free coffee makers, free internet and free a refrigerator. The reason why Disney does not in some of their resorts is simple: because they can charge extra for it instead and people will still flock to stay in an overblown Motel 6 from the 1990's. Don't get me wrong, I happen to love the Value resorts. It just feels wrong to me that Disney should nickle and dime people "because they can" for things that have become standard in the hotel industry.


ETA: And that is why, as VP of Guest Comfort, I would bring the Value Resorts out of the 90's and straight into the 21st century!
robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:05 PM   #62
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 21,828

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
I remember when the moderates did not have fridges or coffee makers. Adding them to POR did not make it into deluxe resort and did not increase the price of the room . Fridges and coffee makers do not make a moderate resort. You get so much more when you book a moderate over a value resort.

You get:
* a better pool with a slide and a hot tub
* bigger rooms
* nicer furnishings
* ceiling fans
* bigger bathrooms
* lusher landscaping and a theme that does not include giant icons
* access to a TS restaurant
* bus stops and parking that is close to your room
* bus stops closer to the park
* queen-sized beds at CSR
Fwiw, my 9yr old niece thought the rooms at POR seemed smaller than the ones at the Value resorts, so the rooms are not noticably bigger. You can be closer to a bus stop at a Value than at a Moderate, so that is not really a perk of a Moderate resort either. POFQ does not have a restaurant, you have to walk 15 minutes to get to the closest one. So you are saying you would charge people around an extra $60 or more a night to look at trees and have a pool slide. I don't think that would entice many people to pay for a Moderate.

I'm not saying you can't put refrigerators in all resorts. Or shade all of the bus stops. But I think you would have to then go thru and "Plus" the Moderate and Delxue resorts to make people willing to pay the price difference between the 2 levels.

Declansdad, that was exactly my point. Disney charges what they do because their resorts are on Disney property. A lot of what you pay for the resorts is because of that simple fact. No off-site resort can boast being within walking distance of the Magic Kingdom. To me, comparing off-site to on-site is not apples to apples, because of that fact.

I know this is all in fun, but I am always curious at to how people think they can make their wishes work.
__________________
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-20-2010, 02:20 PM   #63
DisneyBamaFan
Alabama - 2009 National Champions
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Blairstown, NJ
Posts: 7,629

My ideas would include:

* Free wi-fi throughout WDW resorts. Times are changing, and more people bring computers with them everywhere that they go than many imagine - especially the younger generation.

* Random upgrade for every reservation. Could be anything from a room or dining plan upgrade to a free photographer session. This is something that could be done at almost no additional cost to WDW, but it would pay huge dividends.

* In room movie rentals (like On Demand, but for Disney movies and/or movies still in theatres). I am not sure why WDW has not implemented this. They rent DVDs. Why not make it easier?

* I would build a grocery store in DTD. Make it easier for your guests, who are going to the stores just off property now.
DisneyBamaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:27 PM   #64
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one
 
declansdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 19,748

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post

Declansdad, that was exactly my point. Disney charges what they do because their resorts are on Disney property. A lot of what you pay for the resorts is because of that simple fact. No off-site resort can boast being within walking distance of the Magic Kingdom. To me, comparing off-site to on-site is not apples to apples, because of that fact.
On the proximity point, I agree with you; however, there is no reason that the in-room amenities cannot be compared between the two.
__________________
Darcy
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr




declansdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #65
Thumperr
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 101

I agree with free WIFI in rooms.
I've always found it weird that breakfast wasn't included, it is in Disneyland Paris.
Also in Paris they have a moving walkway from the parkinglot to the parks. I've never used it, simply because I don't mind to walk.
The kids menu's really need to be changed, we're going for 18 days this time, and I'm 100% sure that my kids will be sick and tired of the kids options.
Buses from the parks to DTD, makes it easier to eat something there or go shopping directly after a day in the parks
Thumperr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:32 PM   #66
robinb
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 30,838

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Fwiw, my 9yr old niece thought the rooms at POR seemed smaller than the ones at the Value resorts, so the rooms are not noticably bigger. You can be closer to a bus stop at a Value than at a Moderate, so that is not really a perk of a Moderate resort either. POFQ does not have a restaurant, you have to walk 15 minutes to get to the closest one.
The facts are that POR/POFQ& CSR are all 54 square feet bigger than a value. CBR is bigger still ... 80 square feet bigger. Multiple bus stops at the moderate makes for closer bus stops for more people than just the ones who are paying for a "preferred view" close to the food court at the values. And you can still walk to POFQ to eat at the restaurant and there is nothing but food courts within walking distance at the values (which is why I used the word "access" to describe the difference).

Quote:
So you are saying you would charge people around an extra $60 or more a night to look at trees and have a pool slide. I don't think that would entice many people to pay for a Moderate.
Yes. I think that's what the vast majority of people pay extra for at a moderate resort: the better pool and the landscaping along with the bigger rooms and nicer furnishings.

Quote:
I'm not saying you can't put refrigerators in all resorts. Or shade all of the bus stops. But I think you would have to then go thru and "Plus" the Moderate and Delxue resorts to make people willing to pay the price difference between the 2 levels.
You do have a good point because people want to feel like they are getting more when they are paying more. However, I don't think that a coffee maker or a refrigerators are "Plus" features in the hotel industry any longer. They are found in virtually every hotel from the cheapest to the most expensive. I spent over 50 nights in hotels last year and cannot remember the last non-Disney hotel I stayed in without a fridge and coffee maker. Lastly, having shade a "Plus" feature and making someone stand out in the hot sun for the bus just because they didn't pay enough seems kinda mean and something that a VP of Guest Comfort would want to rectify .

Quote:
I know this is all in fun, but I am always curious at to how people think they can make their wishes work.
robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:37 PM   #67
ZeitgeistDuck
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 191

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Disney charges what they do because their resorts are on Disney property. A lot of what you pay for the resorts is because of that simple fact. No off-site resort can boast being within walking distance of the Magic Kingdom. To me, comparing off-site to on-site is not apples to apples, because of that fact.

No Value resort is within walking distance of MK either, so you point is moot. The Pop is about 15 min or so bus ride from MK. We've stayed off site and onsite, and the distance, or rather the door-to-gate travel time, was almost exactly the same at Pop as at a much cheaper, much more comfortable 4 star hotel. You don't think Disney needs to compete with off site hotels, but I think you're thinking like the kind of person who spends hours on a disney board, not like an average person. Magic Express, busses and "immersion in magic" aren't enough to make up for lack of amenities and comfort at 20% higher cost. We cancelled our off site reservations and stayed at the Pop this year becuase of free dining making it a better deal for us.

As VP of comfort, there'd be wifi, shaded bus stops and fridges at every resort becuase those are very basic amenities. I'd add the opportunity to upgrade for a discounted rate at the check in desk (like, welcome to WDW, for $200 for the week you can upgrade to XYZ moderate) based on availability. A win win, maybe I couldn't afford to upgrade at rack rate, and Disney would be selling unused rooms.

I'd also revamp some of the counter service options. The desserts, fries and bacon all sucked. Those burger buns were pretty dry and yucky too.
ZeitgeistDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:17 PM   #68
KellyNY
DIS Veteran
 
KellyNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 7,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Fwiw, my 9yr old niece thought the rooms at POR seemed smaller than the ones at the Value resorts, so the rooms are not noticably bigger. You can be closer to a bus stop at a Value than at a Moderate, so that is not really a perk of a Moderate resort either. POFQ does not have a restaurant, you have to walk 15 minutes to get to the closest one. So you are saying you would charge people around an extra $60 or more a night to look at trees and have a pool slide. I don't think that would entice many people to pay for a Moderate.

I'm not saying you can't put refrigerators in all resorts. Or shade all of the bus stops. But I think you would have to then go thru and "Plus" the Moderate and Delxue resorts to make people willing to pay the price difference between the 2 levels.

Declansdad, that was exactly my point. Disney charges what they do because their resorts are on Disney property. A lot of what you pay for the resorts is because of that simple fact. No off-site resort can boast being within walking distance of the Magic Kingdom. To me, comparing off-site to on-site is not apples to apples, because of that fact.

I know this is all in fun, but I am always curious at to how people think they can make their wishes work.

The set of amenities is what makes hotel *s. However in Disney resorts it is more about accessibility to parks and looks. I personally do not care about fridge in the room, but I do care about how resort looks. Sorry but POP almost made me cry. So basic, no trees(not much), no shade. Yes pool is cute but not even close to moderate pools, and I love to have a hottub. Bigger room is also a huge plus. We take a rollaway bed and to place it in value I have to move table and chairs and block bathroom access, in moderate it perfectly fits next to window. So yes, I would pay more for all those extras. Also moderates will never come close to Deluxe, no matter how many extras you place in the room. Access to parks, tons of restaurants, entertainment in a lobby where you can literally sit and enjoy your evening, much bigger rooms, balconies, all of that is what makes people pay more and if I could afford it, I would stay there as well.
__________________
KELLY


DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
KellyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:38 PM   #69
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one
 
declansdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 19,748

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyNY View Post
The set of amenities is what makes hotel *s. However in Disney resorts it is more about accessibility to parks and looks. I personally do not care about fridge in the room, but I do care about how resort looks. Sorry but POP almost made me cry. So basic, no trees(not much), no shade. Yes pool is cute but not even close to moderate pools, and I love to have a hottub. Bigger room is also a huge plus. We take a rollaway bed and to place it in value I have to move table and chairs and block bathroom access, in moderate it perfectly fits next to window. So yes, I would pay more for all those extras. Also moderates will never come close to Deluxe, no matter how many extras you place in the room. Access to parks, tons of restaurants, entertainment in a lobby where you can literally sit and enjoy your evening, much bigger rooms, balconies, all of that is what makes people pay more and if I could afford it, I would stay there as well.

I don't agree with the comments about Pop. I thought Pop was a very cool resort. And the pools were just as good or better than the pools at POFQ, POR, or the small pools at CBR.
__________________
Darcy
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr




declansdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:50 PM   #70
KellyNY
DIS Veteran
 
KellyNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 7,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
I don't agree with the comments about Pop. I thought Pop was a very cool resort. And the pools were just as good or better than the pools at POFQ, POR, or the small pools at CBR.
It maybe cool to walk to your room and to bus and see all the huge statues on your way but when it comes to relaxing for a day, POP is nothing to comare to moderates. Also you are right quiet pools are pretty simple and seclude but main pools 2 heads above value, plus slide.
__________________
KELLY


DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
KellyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:02 PM   #71
graceesmom
DIS Veteran
 
graceesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,342

Just want to agree with these suggestions

1. Fastpass for Fantasmic!
2. More child dining entrees
3. Free Wi-Fi (at least at Deluxe or at a minimum the CR. Doesn't it defy it's theme to not have free Wi-Fi?)
4. Monorail to DHS and AK
5. Add monorail from Beach/Yacht Club/Boardwalk to MK.
__________________
Oct. 07 All Star Sports * Oct. 08 Gaylord Palms Apr. 09 CR Oct. 09 Poly May 10 CR MK View * July 10 Beach Club *
Oct. 10 Poly * March 11 Beach Club * June 12 Grand Floridian *August 12 POR Royal Room and Yacht Club April 26-May 5 2013 CSR and Poly- 1st Time trying Club Level July 2013 Yacht Club January 2014 Animal Kingdom LodgeMarch 2014 Saratoga Springs and Coronado Spring Business Class

UPCOMING: April 2014 Yacht Club

CRUISES August 2013 Disney Dream March 2014 Disney Magic
UPCOMING** November 2014 Disney Fantasy

NEW April/May 2013 Family and Friends at Disney Beautiful Day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7t7VhbD8do
Summer 2012 WDW Vacation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cxyUicMy5w
March 2011 WDW Vacation Videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpjlGPQ_CQ4
May 2010 WDW Celebration Vacation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tInxvg3qjh4
graceesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:14 PM   #72
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one
 
declansdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 19,748

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyNY View Post
It maybe cool to walk to your room and to bus and see all the huge statues on your way but when it comes to relaxing for a day, POP is nothing to comare to moderates. Also you are right quiet pools are pretty simple and seclude but main pools 2 heads above value, plus slide.

Relaxing is what you make not the surroundings. Also the pool at POFQ was nothing fantastic and many people stopped on the slide. CBR was under construction when we were there but it did look cool.
__________________
Darcy
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr




declansdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:21 PM   #73
KellyNY
DIS Veteran
 
KellyNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 7,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
Relaxing is what you make not the surroundings. Also the pool at POFQ was nothing fantastic and many people stopped on the slide. CBR was under construction when we were there but it did look cool.
Seriously, so if I want to find a secluded, shaded spot to read a book, how can I do it at POP or if I like to rent a little boat or ride a bike can I do it at POP and what exactly can I do there execpt riding elevator? I never stayed at POR/POFQ but CBR and CSR are so much better then value.
__________________
KELLY


DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
KellyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:28 PM   #74
Coll0610
DIS Veteran
 
Coll0610's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Bloomington, IL
Posts: 674

DH thinks the television channel options need to be better. Not sure exactly what he wants, but we are usually there in the fall and he can't always see the football or baseball playoff game he wants in the room.

How about selling popcorn in the food courts at the resorts?
__________________
10/91 - Honeymoon at Carribean Beach
9/94, 9/97 - Dixie Landings
9/99, 10/00, 1/03 - Wilderness Lodge
10/01, 10/02, 9/03, 10/04, 10/05, 10/06, 10/09, 10/11, 3/13 - Villas at Wilderness Lodge
5/07 - Old Key West
10/07 - VWL and POR
6/8/2008 - First cruise on the Wonder!
4/09,10/12 - POR
3/12 - Cruise on the Dream
3/13 - Back to Back Cruises on the Dream
11/13 - Offsite with the high school band
8/15 - DVC Member Cruise on the Dream
Coll0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:36 PM   #75
KellyNY
DIS Veteran
 
KellyNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 7,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coll0610 View Post
DH thinks the television channel options need to be better. Not sure exactly what he wants, but we are usually there in the fall and he can't always see the football or baseball playoff game he wants in the room.

How about selling popcorn in the food courts at the resorts?
My father is exactly like your DH, he needs his sports and this is basically why he refuses to go with us.
__________________
KELLY


DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
KellyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does WDW ever have refurbs in late September? ipodluvr287 Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies 15 02-16-2010 11:17 AM
train to wdw mistee Transportation 19 02-01-2010 07:46 PM
Follow us LIVE from WDW 1/17-1/21 thepowellslovedisney Completed Trip Reports 36 01-25-2010 12:26 PM
GREAT New WDW Commercial WEDWDW Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies 18 01-18-2010 09:54 AM
Help needed planning budget Dec WDW trip RIDisneyFan Budget Board 3 01-18-2010 09:08 AM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.