Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
RIDisneyFan
Mouseketeer

Help needed planning budget Dec WDW trip

My family (me, DH, DD10, DD12) has been to WDW 3 times in the last 5 years and have gotten a lot of useful information from the Disboards. DH and I would like to surprise the girls with a WDW trip in December - we'd like to see the Christmas decorations, and DD10's b-day is in December; in the past we have gone in Sept, on or close to DD12's b-day. All of our trips have been budget - value resort, during value season, free dining. If we do go in Dec, it really has to be budget, especially if there is no free dining in Dec this year. I was thinking of going right after Thanksgiving (during the short period of value season) but need help/suggestions for planning as inexpensive a trip as possible. Some of my questions are:

Onsite or offsite? I'd prefer onsite, but I'm open to suggestions if it will save me money.
Would it be cheaper to buy a MYW package or buy room and park tickets separately? We have AAA, I think we can get a room discount - do we have to use AAA travel, or can I book directly thru Disney and get the AAA discount?
How about park tickets? I just subscribed to Mousesavers. They mention Undercover Tourist; has anyone used them? Is there any other way to get cheaper park tickets, other than E-Bay?
Is the new dining package (counter service only) worth buying? Will it save me money? We'd like to have at least 1 table service meal (there are several WDW restaurants we like) but we can do counter service only if it will save us a lot of money.
Any other money saving suggestions would be welcome!
RIDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:48 AM   #2
torinsmom
I have someone coming to scoop
I don't know how a man could wear them

I can answer a few of your questions.

You can book a AAA room only rate without going through AAA, just ask for that rate when you reserve. If you get a PACKAGE, I am almost sure you have to got through AAA.

If you are driving, offsite could definitely save you some money. You could get a hotel within 15 minutes of Disney property for around $50/night. Of course, you would have to drive to the parks and pay $14/day to park, so it may only save you $20/night. If you're going during value season and can get the AAA rate(or a code), I would stay onsite. Weekdays are cheaper if you could work it that way.

I don't think the DDP will save you much money. Your kids will both be priced as adults, so you might break even. The counter service one would be 29.99/day for each of you, so $120/day. I never spend that much money on counter service food and snacks. I buy the kids meals many places or split a meal. We also don't buy drinks; we get free ice water and bring along flavor packets. You DO get a refillable mug each for the resorts with that plan, so that may make a difference.

Don't buy tickets on ebay! You could do the GAD promotion to get a free one day ticket each and then upgrade it to whatever you need once you get to Disney. They have black out dates, but I bet not during the time after Thanksgiving until value season ends. The GAD ticket has a $79 value, so you could get a 7 day base ticket for $155 plus tax.

Good luck!
August 3-11, 2008--Pop Century Grand Gathering
July 6-13, 2009--Universal Studios
June 16-25 2010--Universal AND Disney for 10 days (Emerald Island)
August 10-20 2011--Universal and Disney(Indian Creek)
July 6-14 2012--Universal and Disney--doing YES again!
July 14-21 2013--Universal and Disney with family
torinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
RIDisneyFan
Mouseketeer

We live in RI, so I really don't want to drive, but we would consider doing that if necessary.
I already do some volunteer work, so I'm definitely willing to do the GAD promotion (and finding something the whole family can do). I know you can use that free ticket towards a discount on a multi-day ticket. Does anyone know how much the discount is? We would probably be getting either a 5-day or 6-day ticket.
I'm thinking we can eat cheaper than what the dining plan would cost, so unless it's free, I doubt we will get it this time.
RIDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:08 AM   #4
torinsmom
I have someone coming to scoop
I don't know how a man could wear them

Yeah, wouldn't be driving from RI, LOL. Onsite would definitely be better for you,especially since you plan on value season.

The value of the GAD is the value of a one day ticket, which the Disney website says is $79. a 5 day ticket is $228 and a 6 day is $231, so the ticket would cose $149 or $152 plus tax.

It's amazing that I will be getting a 7 day Disney ticket for a few dollars more than a 7 day Universal ticket---grrr
August 3-11, 2008--Pop Century Grand Gathering
July 6-13, 2009--Universal Studios
June 16-25 2010--Universal AND Disney for 10 days (Emerald Island)
August 10-20 2011--Universal and Disney(Indian Creek)
July 6-14 2012--Universal and Disney--doing YES again!
July 14-21 2013--Universal and Disney with family
torinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: