Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2010, 10:15 PM   #16
BippityBoo
DIS Veteran

OK---Let's get this TR started!!!

January 9, 2010---Departure/Travel Day

Packing for this trip took forever!! I felt that I kept making list after list. When I finally got all of the things together, it was SUCH a great feeling. Take a look at what we brought!

Plastic containers organized with the following items:

1) Forks, plates, plastic cups and napkins for quick breakfasts in the room/Disposable Mickey Mouse Clubhouse sippy cups for my DS.
2) Medicines for ANY sickness possible
3) Snacks for the kids (Princess and Toy Story fruit snacks, goldfish, peanut butter crackers, Cars and Princess cookies, suckers, Poptarts).
4) Laundry detergent, anti-bacterial wipes, tide wipes, dish soap, hand soap.

We also brought bagels for my DH and I in the mornings and juice for the kids

I found a plastic container that fit perfectly inbetween my kid’s carseats. I put paper towels, bibs, diapers/wipes, bags of snacks and their DVDS in it. This was super helpful because I could reach them from the front seat. Here is a shot of what was inside.

I packed the kids suitcases seperately this year, due to the HIGH VOLUME of clothes being brought! Here they are!

I organized their clothes this year by type (ex: Shirts in one ziplock, pants in the other) rather than by park day like last year. This worked just as well for me as I usually change my mind and switch outfits around once we get there

My DH and I shared a suitcase. Once I packed it, I realized that it was not zipping! So, I added a duffel for our shoes and my DH's undershirts, etc. I forgot to take a pic of it!! Sorry!

My DD and I picked out fun backpacks on sale at Toys R Us when we were Christmas shopping for the family. I filled both of their backpacks with new toys and crafts to keep them busy. Also, I gathered magazines from my DD's room and things I know she likes to read. I also made sure to pack their favorite stuffed animals that they can not sleep without....all 6 of them

Continued on next post...

Last edited by BippityBoo; 01-18-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:17 PM   #17
BippityBoo
DIS Veteran

Here are their backpacks and their contents

I also packed my DD’s Vera with her new DSi and all of the games.

And, of course, we can not forget our Snuggies!!! These were SUPER helpful in the car when they wanted to play video games or color, but it was still a little chilly.

_______

We decided to drive to WDW for this trip. Flights were getting expensive and we have many friends who chose to drive for their trips. We are about 9 hours away. So, in order to get as far as we could while the kids were sleeping, we left at 5am

Thankfully, my DH is the driver and all I had to do was ride!

The kids began to wake up around 8am. They did great, watching new DVDs that we bought them (Suite Life On Deck for my DD and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse for my DS). We had some poptarts for them to eat, so we did not need to stop until lunch time. After a quick bite to eat and a diaper change for my DS, we were off to Gainesville, FL where we would stop for the night.

Nothing eventful happened in Gainesville to report about. We checked in and decided to go check out the University of Florida!! We were curious to see the campus, but we were there on a mission. We are huge LSU fans, so our goal was to take funny pictures giving thumbs down in front of the stadium! It was great fun and the kids got a kick out of it. I must say, the campus is beautiful (as much as I hate to admit ) Here are some pics for those who want to see...

We decided to order out from Olive Garden (one of our favorites!). We got salad, soup and breadsticks. The hotel had a great eating area, so we just ate there.

After getting up so early, it was time to get to bed. After all, we would be in WDW tomorrow

**Up Next: Would the Wilderness Lodge live up to it's reputation? Does mother nature ruin the park plans I worked so hard on? Stay tuned
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2010, 10:38 PM   #18
jwwi
DIS Veteran

Now that is some organized packing! Can't wait to see your arrival at WL..........
Old 01-17-2010, 10:43 PM   #19
ladybugmom
DIS Veteran

YAY!! The first update!! I love all the organizational tubs and neatly packed suitcases!! Yeah--your stop at the University of Florida cracked me up!! I just LOVE the pics that you tagged me in on FB!! Brent just commented again on how hilarious it was!! He got a big kick out of the pics, too!! Can't wait to read more!!
Old 01-18-2010, 07:07 AM   #20
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Wow! You are one organized lady! I'm glad your kids did so well in the car, you can never tell with little ones on a road trip
Old 01-18-2010, 07:13 AM   #21
lolafrances
The small mailman smells like chocolate!

Wow, I love all the pictures! You are so organized, it is amazing. I am pretty organized but I don't have any time left over to take pictures of it so I am very impressed. Do you scrapbook? With these pictures you are all set!!

And the UF campus is very pretty!

Old 01-18-2010, 08:39 AM   #22
elle bell
Mouseketeer

Subscribing! We are going to WDW next January so I'm interested to see what the crowd level was for you.

Looks like you were well prepared for your trip and drive down. How was your 2 year old with the long drive? We are also planning on driving (10 hour trip) and my youngest will be 2.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:56 AM   #23
BippityBoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwi View Post
Now that is some organized packing! Can't wait to see your arrival at WL..........
Hey! Thanks WL will be posted TODAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugmom View Post
YAY!! The first update!! I love all the organizational tubs and neatly packed suitcases!! Yeah--your stop at the University of Florida cracked me up!! I just LOVE the pics that you tagged me in on FB!! Brent just commented again on how hilarious it was!! He got a big kick out of the pics, too!! Can't wait to read more!!
We are still laughing at what we did. We would take a picture, then stop and sweetly smile/wave to the coaches walking by. It was priceless. The tubs ended up being great. I will show you what I did with them at the WL when I post about it TODAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
Wow! You are one organized lady! I'm glad your kids did so well in the car, you can never tell with little ones on a road trip
I was SOOO nervous. But they did great!! I am going to write a little more about it today

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolafrances View Post
Wow, I love all the pictures! You are so organized, it is amazing. I am pretty organized but I don't have any time left over to take pictures of it so I am very impressed. Do you scrapbook? With these pictures you are all set!!

And the UF campus is very pretty!
I do scrapbook, but I am kicking it up a notch with this trip. I am going to try to "really" scrapbook with journal entries, photo cds, etc. Our scrapbook stores keep going out of business, so I will need to order most online. Let me know if you know of any good sites.

UF was pretty! We were impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle bell View Post
Subscribing! We are going to WDW next January so I'm interested to see what the crowd level was for you.

Looks like you were well prepared for your trip and drive down. How was your 2 year old with the long drive? We are also planning on driving (10 hour trip) and my youngest will be 2.
I am going to post more details about the drive today...but I will give you a sneak preview He did GREAT. The drive was nothing really. We should not have stopped in Gainesville. We ended up getting there at 1:30 and we could have totally kept going to WDW! I think we will drive all the way through when we go back in Dec. I had plenty of coloring books, new DVDs, etc. It helped a lot. Look for my new post tonight!
Old 01-18-2010, 09:08 AM   #24
bshfam4
Earning My Ears

Just coming over from Beckys pre trip report. I love your updates and I'm curious to hear about the drive. I would love to drive to WDW but am very nervouse about how the kids will do in the car. We are also in Ma so it would be a longer drive. My family always laughs at me because I pack so much stuff and it seems like driving you could take more.
Great updates cant wait for more!!
laura
Old 01-18-2010, 10:45 AM   #25
longing2Batdisney
DIS Veteran

Hey! Katie
subbing in now I have to go and catch up!!! :
Connie

edit: Great start!!!! love the busy bags you packed for the car!!! Sounds like Aiden did great for the ride! (I know you were worried about that)...I'm looking at all your stuff that you packed and thinking that is a great idea, that is a great idea (I love the plastic containers) than remembered I have been warned when we do go in Nov/Dec this year...Danny has decided to take the car instead of the truck...so, I like you container idea but I need to think about how I am going to pack the trunk...can't wait to hear how you felt about the Disney stroller...if we take the car we cannot bring ours so I will have to rent one.

Last edited by longing2Batdisney; 01-18-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:04 AM   #26
BippityBoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshfam4 View Post
Just coming over from Beckys pre trip report. I love your updates and I'm curious to hear about the drive. I would love to drive to WDW but am very nervouse about how the kids will do in the car. We are also in Ma so it would be a longer drive. My family always laughs at me because I pack so much stuff and it seems like driving you could take more.
Great updates cant wait for more!!
laura
YEA!!!! I seem to be having lots of traffic from Becky's PTR!
The drive was SO easy. My DH and I kept looking at eachother like "This is too easy". I am going to add a little paragraph about the drive in my post tonight. Seems like lots of people want to hear about it! Thanks for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longing2Batdisney View Post
Hey! Katie
subbing in now I have to go and catch up!!! :
Connie

edit: Great start!!!! love the busy bags you packed for the car!!! Sounds like Aiden did great for the ride! (I know you were worried about that)...I'm looking at all your stuff that you packed and thinking that is a great idea, that is a great idea (I love the plastic containers) than remembered I have been warned when we do go in Nov/Dec this year...Danny has decided to take the car instead of the truck...so, I like you container idea but I need to think about how I am going to pack the trunk...can't wait to hear how you felt about the Disney stroller...if we take the car we cannot bring ours so I will have to rent one.
Connie---The drive was NOTHING! Aiden did wonderful. It was very helpful to leave early. We got to the Florida line before they woke up. It was really nice. When they woke up, I put on their DVDs and gave them pop tarts. We had a small icechest on the floor with juice, etc. so we did not have to stop till bathroom breaks later.

The containers were really helpful, but a pain to transfer from the car to the room. I will write about that tonight. Notice the larger purple one. That one fit inbetween their carseats, so we just left it in the car. You could do something like that with Ashton easily. He will enjoy discovering the things inside during the trip too.

Ugh-the strollers. We have a love/hate relationship with them. I will post about it later. Let me just say---arent Ashton and Abby close in age?---this is Abby's LAST year in it. We got the week long double rental. There are many positives...but lots of negatives this year. I found out some new tips to help save little (and big) feet from walking a lot. More later! Thanks for reading!!!!
Old 01-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #27
mom2mek
Obsessed with Disney

Woo-hoo! Girl, you are fast! Already started your report and it's already on page 2!!! I am usually in such a stupor after a trip it takes me a while to get my act together to actually start writing!

I love your bins and am very curious about how they worked transferring from car to room. I'm thinking of packing bins this time (less than 3 weeks away...woo-hoo) but was trying to think of the logistics of transferring and storing in the room, etc...

Love the organized car - did you take a picture of everything loaded in? I have 3 across in the backseat (unless I put my oldest in the 3rd row of the Tahoe but I think I will need that space for luggage) so the tub in between carseats won't work, so I'm trying to figure out where to put all the "travel stuff".

I'm so grateful you are posting about the packing and such - it's always something I dwell on! (Husband thinks I'm nuts!)

Looking forward to more!!

Sara
Old 01-18-2010, 11:41 AM   #28
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

Another one here saying wow Katie you are one organised packer, the boxes are great and so neat

Glad to hear the drive went well, that's the same length as our flight
Old 01-18-2010, 12:00 PM   #29
stacikristine
DIS Veteran

Hi Katie!

I'm here!! Great job so far. I can't wait to follow along on your family's trip. I'm so glad you had the time of your lives...and I'm sure many, many memories were made! I love all of the containers. It's so nice that you could drive and take as much as you wanted!

Can't wait for more!!

Dec 2012 Animal Kingdom VillasSept 2009 Animal Kingdom Villas (PTR) (TR: 1st Trip as Mr. & Mrs.) Oct 2006 POP Century June 2003 Fort Wilderness Campground July 1989 Off-site

Old 01-18-2010, 01:03 PM   #30
SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE
DIS Veteran

Great update! I love the "behind the scenes" pictures. And wow - that's some amazing organization! I can't imagine how long it took you to pack all of that!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: