Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2010, 02:06 PM   #1
stayhomemom77
Dieting my way to Disney!!

Arrow UPDATED!! Last Year's TR added!! Celebrating weight loss with DDP!!

Okay, okay...this is probably the stupidest thing I have EVER done (not counting gaining the weight in the first place) but I figured a trip to Disney would be just the thing to celebrate losing fifty plus pounds and the dining plan just added itself...honest.

Alright, first off cast of characters...

Me DW34 Have been to MK and MGM (when it WAS MGM) when I was a kid. I LOVE DISNEY and would go several times a year, if only my husband was willing. Last year was our first family trip with our two kiddies and I somehow managed to convince him to go back again this year.

DH35 Was taken to MK as a baby and then never again. Has no magical kid memories to call up and thinks my Disney addiction makes me a "harmless nut." Is crazy about our kids (and moi ) so is willing to make the 18 hour drive to Disney two years in a row. Has resigned himself to at least one more trip in 2013 when the Fantasyland expansion is all finished so his loved ones can check it out.

DD6 CAN NOT WAIT to have breakfast "with" Cinderella at her castle and is really looking forward to staying on Disney property for the first time. Santa brought her a Cinderella dress especially for this meal and she has assured me that we will have to go swimming every day this time.

DS5 Well, he will be five by the trip...his birthday is in a little bit and the biggest draw for him for this trip is Test Track. His sister went on with Daddy last year and had the bejeebles scared out of her, so he is determined to take a turn so he can insist to her that there is nothing to it. Also, because we missed it last year the Dumbo ride is at the top of his priority list (which seems incongruent when compared to Test Track but what can ya do??)

I actually have my son to thank/blame for this trip. DH and I have always given our change to the kiddies to put into their piggy banks. They get monthly spending money of their own, so their piggy money has some sort of vague "I'm saving it for something special" significance. One day in late October 2009 DS came out of his room and declared that he was saving his change for another trip to Disney. Of course his sister jumped onto the bandwagon and I hit the gas and....well, here we are.

We went for a week in April 2009 but stayed off site and did the cheap counter service/eat off site thing to keep the costs low. We did this because we tacked a 3 day Bahamas cruise on to the end of the trip. Hey, if you're going to go to all the trouble of driving down to Florida...

So this time we wanted to be sure to stay on site. The budget is always the key feature in our trip plans (at least initially) so in the beginning with our being Canadian and having to take things like exchange rates and all into account it looked as if we were certain to stay at a value resort.

My husband as I mentioned hasn't yet been bitten by the Disney bug, but he does enjoy how much the rest of us enjoy it. He does love to experiment in terms of cuisine so getting him to agree to the dining plan was easier than I thought. We had eaten so much fast food last year that I wasn't anxious to do it again but if we were to get the dining plan we would HAVE to save money by staying at Pop.

Our dates were chosen and at the 180 day window I began making dining reservations. I snagged us the CRT reservation as well as Le Cellier and several others. These have changed multiple times in the last three months but I think we have finally cemented our itinerary.

Although I was chomping at the bit to book our vacation, I knew that if I waited until the new year there was a chance that Disney would have some specials running that would save us some cash because, of course in the mean time I hadn't been able to resist a thorough examination of ALL the resort hotels and got my husband interested in CBR and POFQ. An unexpected windfall allowed us to seriously entertain a moderate resort and POFQ was chosen. I still hesitated on the booking...after all we may as well wait and see what the specials (if any) would be available in January.

THEN I found the DIS!! And learned about the DVC and about renting points and by that point I KNEW I couldn't enjoy my vacation if we couldn't say at a Deluxe villa. Again, getting my husband to agree was easier than I anticipated and we found some great DVC members willing to rent points to us and book our eight night stay.

So, we are staying 2 nights at SSR and 6 nights at AKL and getting the dining plan for the entire time!!

Now, to the weight loss part. I needed to do something to assuage my guilty conscious about how very "ME" this trip was turning out to be. And that is not to say that everyone else isn't thrilled about our plans and thoroughly happy, but if I were to be completely honest...I'm planning all the things I want to do and it just HAPPENS to coincide with the things that interest the rest of them. I have been "trying to lose weight" on and off (mostly off) for the last two years. I have had some success in the last six weeks and plan to have a whole lot more over the next three months. I am hoping to be able to lose 70 pounds by our trip (I'm just about half way there) and THAT is what we are going to be celebrating on our trip!!

Next up!! The itinerary that changes daily!!

TR Report from last year:

Setting Out for the "World" April 2009

Day Two at the World--Hollywood Studios

Last edited by stayhomemom77; 04-03-2010 at 12:55 PM. Reason: inserting links
Old 01-16-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
stayhomemom77

The itinerary that changes daily

First, let me say that losing 35 pounds in 96 days is going to be a REALLY big stretch, so although I'd like to lose that much by the trip, it isn't likely to happen. I think I can safely say that I can lose another fifteen pounds by April 21st and that's a big enough achievement to celebrate even if it isn't my goal weight. This explains the fifty plus pounds comment that's at the top of the OP.

Now, on to the title. When I first "rough drafted" our itinerary in October, the park EMH weren't available. Since we were only getting base tickets (that darn bottom line issue raises it's ugly head) making ADR's proved difficult. So, I did my best, consulted my hubby, studied the menus at AllEars until I had them memorized and drew up a plan. But hardly a day goes by that I don't "check in" at the Dis and AllEars and the new info (dining reviews, trip reports, new "discoveries", etc) led to at least one minor change each and every day.

At first I was alone in the planning but after begging DH to look at some of the restaurants so he could pick a fav he had a few "suggestions" to make. Oh, and one day last month he sprung the "I think we should take a day off to go to the beach" on me (SACRILEGE!! ) so I had to rearrange practically the whole thing. One thing I couldn't do was tamper with CRT and Le Cellier...those were set in stone but everything else was malleable.

I couldn't begin to tell you how the itinerary started but now it looks like this:

April Itinerary
Wed 21 Drive to Lake Park, GA (15 hrs)
Thurs 22 Drive to Daytona Beach (4 hrs) Drive to/check in SSR (1.5 hrs)
Fri 23 DTD/Resort Day
Sat 24 check in AKV/Epcot
Sun 25 MGM
Mon 26 MK
Tues 27 Resort Day
Wed 28 AK (EMH 8 PM)
Thurs 29 MK (EMH 8 AM)
Fri 30 Epcot/drive 3.5 hrs to Lake Park, GA
Sat 1 Drive home (15 hrs)

Flame me if you like but I still insist on calling it MGM...I like my acronyms and HS just doesn't do if for me. My son has spent the last nine months correcting me if that helps anyone feel better.

And the ADR's look like this:

April
22 Whispering Canyon-dinner
23 quick service both lunch and dinner
24 Teppan Edo-lunch, Le Cellier-dinner
25 Sci Fi-lunch
26 CRT-brunch
27 Boma-dinner
28 Yak and Yeti-dinner
29 Ohana-dinner
30 Coral Reef-dinner

Of course with a studio villa, all breakfasts will be in our room by way of cereal, pastries, oatmeal, fruit and yogurt deals.

Originally, we were only going to be at Disney for a week but when I was confirming our information with the DVC folks we rented points from I made a boo boo and only had him book six nights at AKL instead of seven. I didn't realize my mistake until it was all booked. I supposed I could have asked him to call and adjust our reservation but in the end I decided to just add two nights onto the front of our stay so the kids could experience Pop after all. I even went so far as to book the accommodations online.

But naughty, greedy, selfish Mommy was now too snobby to stay at a value resort especially since for just a little bit more (gotta love that fuzzy Disney math) we could have another villa so I emailed our good friends again and inquired whether or not we could rent a few more points and try a different resort out.

CONFESSION TIME:

When I put this suggestion to my hubby he thought that Pop would be good enough and said to just leave it as it is, but....

I ignored him.

I canceled Pop and added SSR WITH dining. I have referred to our SSR stay several times, in a very off hand and casual way, so if he ever clues in to the change and demands to know what the heck is going on I can honestly say that he knew about it all along. Hence the guilt and the desperate need to turn this trip into a celebration of something personal, so I can justify my SSR reservation!!

Up next: How to eat adventerously with a one picky eater and one on a diet!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
disneylovin24
~Let It Go~

Can't wait for more!!!

Old 01-16-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
stayhomemom77

How to eat adventurously with one picky eater and one on a diet

Hey, I'm going to let you in on a little secret...

Diets don't exist on vacation.

So, how in the heck am I going to keep from gaining my fifty plus pounds back with the food frenzy that is the Disney dining plan? Well, I have a system.

First though, I have to say that my son will eat peanut butter sandwiches, pizza and chicken nuggets and fries...and that's about it. So, finding places to eat at proved to be a little tricky. In the end I just booked places the rest of us would like and decided not to worry about it. After all, the little guy's not going to starve as long as grapes and applesauce are available on the kid's menus (thank goodness for that!!) And if he eats nothing but bread and dessert at Ohana...well, oh well.

As for me, I've laid down a few ground rules for myself that I hope I'm going to be able to follow.

First, I have decided to let my kids eat my dessert at each restaurant. Oh yes, you heard me correctly...excepting for a bite two, the kids can share my sorbet or creme brulee (or whatever) and they can have my Canadian Moose entirely...I've never been a fan of mousse.

Second, when we get pizza...think pizza planet...I am going order my meal and only one kid's meal for the kids to share. Then we are going to trade pizzas. So I get the kid sized one and my salad and they get to share the adult pizza and the sides that come with their meal. This works out great because we'll save a CS credit to use at breakfast. My kids love waffles and the idea of eating mickey's head gives them no end of delight.

Third, I've already chosen what "treats" I'm going to indulge in (dole whip float, ice cream cookie sandwich, etc) and I'm going to stick to them!! Plus, I'm never going to be eating any one of these tasty bits alone. If my husband can't take one for the team and share with me, then I can always share with my son...he won't be eating anything at the restaurants anyway.

Fourth, I'm going to drink TONS of water...I always do anyway...so there is less room for food and NEVER CLEAN MY PLATE. There will always be a couple of bites (or more) of my meal left on my plate or in my container when we are ready to leave the eating establishment.

Last but not least, I AM going to take advantage of the offer of fruit, veggies or salad as a substitute for french fries as ALL CS restaurants. I am going to have fries with my burger at Sci Fi and THAT IS IT!!

These rules combined with a brisk walk or jog each morning before the parks should help to keep the cellulite jiggle to a minimum at the resort pool, which is something we can ALL enjoy.

Up next, How are we going to pay for all of this?
Old 01-16-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
michellem1118
DIS Veteran

Joining in for the fun! I'd love to lose ~30 pounds (ok, really more like 40) before our March trip, but it's not gonna happen. If I can lose 10-15 by then, I'll be pretty happy.

On the plus side for you... in all of our trips, including ones with deluxe dining, neither me nor DH has ever GAINED any weight at Disney. You just do too much walking around the parks, to the bus stops, around the resorts, etc. So I think you'll be fine, even with the dining plan.
Dec. 2000-Jan. 2001 ~ AS-Sports ... April 2007 ~ CSR (joined DVC) ... Oct. 2007 ~ SSR ... July-Aug. 2008 ~ OKW & DCL ~ HONEYMOON! ... March 2009 ~ SSR ... July 2009 ~ 1st anniversary @ AKV ... Christmas 2009 ~ Family Trip @ SSR ... March 2010 ~ BCV ... June 2010 ~ John's (late) birthday celebration @ VWL ... July-August 2010 ~ 2nd anniversary @ BLT/VWL ... Upcoming: June 9-16, 2011 ~ Club Level! at AKV & BWV

The Summer of Disney - June 2010 & July/August 2010 Trip Report
Bringin' the HAPPY Back! Spring Break 2010 Trip Report
Never Again! Our Holiday Family Trip
Old 01-16-2010, 03:49 PM   #6
martinolichfamily
DIS Veteran

I'm in....waiting to read more!
March 2007: 1st family vacation (off site) ~ July 2009: Fort Wilderness Cabin ~ July 2010: POP Century w/DxDP ~ April 2011:POP Century w/DP (Our 10 yr Anniversary Trip) ~ July 2012:1st Disneyland Trip(Desert Palms) ~ January 2013: offsite (DH & I) ~ July 2013: SS & AKL:Kidani (Brayden's 1st WDW Trip! & 1st DVC Trip!)~ November 2013: SS Treehouse & BC ~March 2014: Bonnet Creek (offsite) ~ June 2014: OKW
Old 01-16-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
stayhomemom77

Disneylovin24, michellem1118 and martinolichfamily welcome to my first Pre TR. I’m so excited about this trip and there will definitely be a trip report coming in May!!
Old 01-16-2010, 06:15 PM   #8
gellybean
DIS Veteran

I'm in!! I'm in !! Your title is so me!! We returned our elliptical machine back to Costco to pay for our DDP! LOL

I am actually in a room at AKL letting the rest of the fam get a rest in before our Boma ressie at 8pm! :D. I'll let you know how it is. The lodge is awesome !! Y'all are gonna love it. Is your villa at Kidani or Jambo house?

Will subscribe when I get home. Kinda limited on my phone. Hehe. I'm so addicted to the Dis I'm on the boards from Disney. :rofl:

Read all about our special needs, miracle daughter Violet @ http://youjustmightfindyougetwhatyouneed.blogspot.com/

September 2012 PTR - I actually just squealed with excitement!! We are going back! Baby girl's 1st trip!! Nemo Suite at AoA
Old 01-18-2010, 09:19 AM   #9
stayhomemom77

Oh my gosh, gellybean that's awesome!! I LOL'd when I read about the elliptical (sp?) machine and my son came running over to check out what I was laughing at. We are staying at the Jambo house, it was less points but now I'm wishing that I'd opted for Kidani after seeing pool pics. Oh well, we are going to have a great time.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:25 AM   #10
stayhomemom77

How are we going to pay for all of this?

As a true Disneymaniac, all other concerns fall by the wayside when confronted by the news that the possibility of returning to the most magical place on earth has come sooner than one has expected. If you want something bad enough, you can make it happen…at least that’s what I told myself back in October.

There was a real concern though and that was…money!! As a family, we had set a goal of getting out of debt by August 2010 and coming up with a couple thousand dollars for a spring trip to Florida was going to put a serious crimp in our plans. However, thanks to kijiji and a bunch of junk laying around the basement and garage, we were able to come up with $300 in just over a week. Giddy with our success, we attacked our monthly budget and hacked and slashed until it was nothing but bare bones. We got Santa and relatives in on the plan and various necessities for the trip (spending money among them) were received at Christmas.

The children agreed to part with half of their monthly spending money and put it into the Disney account and Mommy (yes, ME) donated her ENTIRE monthly allowance of spending money from November to May to the cause. I am, I confess going through Aldo withdrawals but I will be able to buy new shoes again in June and in the winter I’m stuck wearing my boots most of the time anyway (yah Canada!!)so... It did hurt when I hit the mall this past week and saw my favourite clothing stores with their 70% off signs up taunting and tempting me.

Still, with all of our pinching and scraping, we had to cut corners so we agreed that it would have to be a car trip once again. This isn’t a big deal for us. DH does all the driving cheerfully…at least he did last year… and I have offered to take turns whenever he feels he needs a break. Also, the spending money budget is pretty close to non existent. We are allotting only $50 a person for sundry expenses and plan to use some of our dining plan snack credits to buy lollipops or some such at Goofy’s Candy Co. for the folks at home.

That part of it seemed like a no brainer but the agony over whether to do value and dining or moderate and no dining had me writhing for days. In the end, as is well known I got to do the dining plan as well as a DELUXE resort. Bless you DVC members for renting out your points!!

So now, with the trip only 93 days away and the income tax return fated to pay for the remaining Disney expenses all that’s left to do is organize and collect the trip items, oh…and lose the rest of the weight!!

Up next: What’s up with the friggin’ exchange rate, anyway?
Old 01-20-2010, 03:15 PM   #11
stayhomemom77

Making changes again!!

Okay, just made some dining changes this morning so I thought I'd update.

Whispering Canyon Cafe is canceled and we are going to do lunch at Coral Reef on April 30th and dinner at Chefs de France instead.

I THINK this will be the last adjustment.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:23 AM   #12
stayhomemom77

What’s up with the friggin’ exchange rate, anyway?

When we were planning our April trip in January of 2009, the Canadian dollar was just above par with the American dollar. Fool that I was I figured it wouldn’t go up too much over the next three months and I didn’t begin stockpiling American cash until just two weeks before departure. By then, the exchange rate had fallen and we had to pay $0.27 on the dollar. Ouch!!
So this time, when the exchange rate was at ten cents, I started buying American money. Now, we don’t need a lot…just a few hundred bucks for gas and tips and spending but I’ve been getting a hundred here and there for the last eight weeks. Of course, now that I have nearly every cent we need the exchange rate is at five cents on the dollar! Grrrr!

Anyway, unlike gellybean we don’t have an elliptical machine to return so I’m back to hoping that the rate doesn’t rise to 27 cents on the dollar (or more…ugh) by the time we arrive in Disney. We’ll only have to buy park tickets and pay for the dining plan but still that’ll be quite a bit of change, and the lower the exchange rate, the better it will be for us. Well, I guess only time will tell…

On a side note, should I avoid the advance check in? I’m worried that there will be some difficulty getting the park tickets added to our KTTW cards if we check in online before we leave. Any thoughts?

Up next: Are you sure we can’t go tomorrow?
Old 01-23-2010, 11:38 PM   #13
2_Eagle_Mom
Kungaloosh!!

I love your rationalization for your trip! I'm trying to lose another 30lbs before our trip in October so I'm totally on board with you. I think your ideas of how to stay on track while on the DDP sound good. We've never done the dining plan, but my best tip during our last trip (during Food & Wine) was to get the LAST bite of DHs dessert. That way I got to taste everything, but since it was the last bite I didn't have to worry about getting tempted to eat more.

Looking forward to reading more.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:53 PM   #14
michellem1118
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayhomemom77 View Post
Oh my gosh, gellybean that's awesome!! I LOL'd when I read about the elliptical (sp?) machine and my son came running over to check out what I was laughing at. We are staying at the Jambo house, it was less points but now I'm wishing that I'd opted for Kidani after seeing pool pics. Oh well, we are going to have a great time.
I think you'll be MUCH happier in Jambo. All of the restaurants (except Sanaa) are in Jambo, so it's MUCH more convenient. DH & I walked between the two quite a bit in July when we stayed at Kidani, trying to refill our mugs at Mara & such. Also, the pool at Jambo gets much better reviews on here, although we enjoyed the less-crowded feeling of the pool at Kidani quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayhomemom77 View Post
On a side note, should I avoid the advance check in? I’m worried that there will be some difficulty getting the park tickets added to our KTTW cards if we check in online before we leave. Any thoughts?
I don't think you'll have any problems adding your park tickets if you do online check-in... and if you check-in at a busy time of day, the online line was always much shorter during our past two trips.
Dec. 2000-Jan. 2001 ~ AS-Sports ... April 2007 ~ CSR (joined DVC) ... Oct. 2007 ~ SSR ... July-Aug. 2008 ~ OKW & DCL ~ HONEYMOON! ... March 2009 ~ SSR ... July 2009 ~ 1st anniversary @ AKV ... Christmas 2009 ~ Family Trip @ SSR ... March 2010 ~ BCV ... June 2010 ~ John's (late) birthday celebration @ VWL ... July-August 2010 ~ 2nd anniversary @ BLT/VWL ... Upcoming: June 9-16, 2011 ~ Club Level! at AKV & BWV

The Summer of Disney - June 2010 & July/August 2010 Trip Report
Bringin' the HAPPY Back! Spring Break 2010 Trip Report
Never Again! Our Holiday Family Trip
Old 01-24-2010, 08:07 PM   #15
gellybean
DIS Veteran

Online check in for me was AWESOME! And I just gave away some of my TR suspense.... but it was great. Super easy and fast. We were a package so there was no issue with the KTTW cards having our tickets. I *THINK* that even if they aren't on the ticket when you check in, it's super easy to ask them to add them and reprint the card or to go to the Concierge desk and have them do it for you.

That being said, if you are going to have to wait for the keys to be reprinted anyway... what else is there to save time for you at the check in process?

The lines were never long while we were there, for the online check in or regular check in/out line.

Hope this info helps!!

Crossing my fingers for you that the exchange rate swings y'all's way before you have to buy all your American cash necessary stuff!

I totally love how you came up with your money! SO ME! Now I just have to come up with more ways to find more money for our next trip!

My TR has started officially if you find time to make your way over there !

Read all about our special needs, miracle daughter Violet @ http://youjustmightfindyougetwhatyouneed.blogspot.com/

September 2012 PTR - I actually just squealed with excitement!! We are going back! Baby girl's 1st trip!! Nemo Suite at AoA

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: