Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #1
Ivette1980
Mouseketeer

Question Disneyland in August or December

OMG, I can't decide when to visit or when is the best time to visit, since this will be my families' first trip to DL.

Traditionally I've taken kids to DW for their 5th Bdays and this year in August will be my DS 5th bday. I'm sort over DW for now and want to try something new so we figured why not DL - then I thought Cruise! - but no dates available for then and way more money.

Knowing how Disney can be in August hot and crowded, i sort of decided - maybe not but feel bad - then thought to myself if we're still going to go this year why not in December during the Holidays since we have yet to see what this is like.

I, for the life of me cannot decide and so I am leaving this decision to all you veterans and disney goes alike. Please help me decide. I would go wither way but I guess if its hot and crowded in August - that will easily convince me. My other kids' bdays are on the off season when no one is aorund and its been wonderful. My poor little guy was born in August of all months.
Ivette1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
Disneylvrforever
Stitch is my puppy!

Since you've never been during the holidays, I would say to go in December. Many days in August can get crowded, but there are days in December when the crowds can be nice.
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2010, 08:56 PM   #3
spacemermaid
DIS Veteran

December is a way better time to visit the Park than August, IMO...the holiday decorations will be up (which even though I've seen them a million times, I'm STILL always amazed by...can only imagine how cool it'd be, to see them for the first time ever & be old enough to actually remember it ), it won't be hot, and if you time it right, it doesn't have to be crowded! Besides the decorations, there will also be the holiday parade/fireworks/treats...if you go in December, be sure to try the gingerbread people with the chocolate-dipped Mickey ears!

Lifelong Disney fan!

Last edited by spacemermaid; 01-14-2010 at 08:57 PM. Reason: spelling
spacemermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:26 PM   #4
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

We went to DL in December 2008 and August 2009. It was hot and crowded in August but no problem using those pools! December was crowded but the decorations were so beautiful. If you've never been at the holidays then December would get my vote. There are a lot of special things at DL in December that you don't get even at WDW. Enjoy planning!
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:30 PM   #5
Ivette1980
Mouseketeer

Well now Im bummed .. I had my heart set on the Howard Johnson (GNH)b/c of how kid friendly it seemed and they seemed to be all booked up for the week i can go in August. A sign? Maybe.

Is it really that bad in August? I know the Holidays should be the deal breaker, but I dont dont want to break tradition either (not the DS cares), but the thought of his Album not having Disney pics in it sadens me. however the heat and crowds would definetly make throw the towel in on tradition. lol.

help!!!
Old 01-14-2010, 09:35 PM   #6
Ivette1980
Mouseketeer

ok ... i take that back about unavailability being a sign ... it seems that any random date I select its says unavailable, maybe its just the website.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:37 PM   #7
goldies 5
DIS Veteran

We have been all seasons but now just go for the Holiday Season. We love it. The atmosphere and the beautiful decorations, the big tree on Main Street, the parade is excellent. If you are thinking of going in December the earlier the better. Just keep in mind the first weekend in December will be the Candleight Processional so it will be crowded those 2 days. Fridays are also busier this season. We always find it manageable. Another great week for us in the past was the week before Thanksgiving week. Very light crowds then.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:46 PM   #8
Ivette1980
Mouseketeer

On this week before Thanksgiving are there any Holiday decor up, was the tree up, are the Holiday parades going on??? I was thinking of Nov as another option as well just to beat crowds in Dec.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:04 PM   #9
goldies 5
DIS Veteran

Well we went at this time in 2008. The full Sunday through Friday before. They didn't start the festivites till Friday. But the tree and all the decorations were up. They did not run Reindeer Roundup, Christmas Parade, or fully Lighted Castle, and snow until Friday. I could of lived without this day! It was walk on all week till opening of Christmas Season. We got real spoiled. Friday was insane.
Last year they moved opening to a week earlier. So if you were to go the week before Thanksgiving week and if they keep the opening to the week before that you will have the advantage of full Christmas Spirit, without the craziness of opening day. That being said we usually go in early December. We just really love it. Not sure which week we will choose this year. I have heard on this board that the week after Thanksgiving is great as well.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:39 PM   #10
Ivette1980
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldies 5 View Post
Well we went at this time in 2008. The full Sunday through Friday before. They didn't start the festivites till Friday. But the tree and all the decorations were up. They did not run Reindeer Roundup, Christmas Parade, or fully Lighted Castle, and snow until Friday. I could of lived without this day! It was walk on all week till opening of Christmas Season. We got real spoiled. Friday was insane.
Last year they moved opening to a week earlier. So if you were to go the week before Thanksgiving week and if they keep the opening to the week before that you will have the advantage of full Christmas Spirit, without the craziness of opening day. That being said we usually go in early December. We just really love it. Not sure which week we will choose this year. I have heard on this board that the week after Thanksgiving is great as well.

Thank you, I'm still on the fence of when to go. I'm trying too hard to find the perfect time. I just hate crowds. It doesnt seem worth it to me if its so packed and wtg on line for rides. No patience here. I've been spoiled going on the off seasons. So to debate between August and December, its a doozy - that's why I threw November in there. It'll all be taken into consideration. Keep em' coming.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:44 PM   #11
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

I didn't read all of the responses, so sorry if I repeat them!

If you haven't seen it during Christmas, I think it's a must. I also think it can be REALLY crowded around Christmas, but if there is any way possible that you could go during the week earlier in December, while schools are in session, then I think you'll find the crowds to be not bad at all.
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:01 PM   #12
Flitterific
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyjane View Post
I didn't read all of the responses, so sorry if I repeat them!

If you haven't seen it during Christmas, I think it's a must. I also think it can be REALLY crowded around Christmas, but if there is any way possible that you could go during the week earlier in December, while schools are in session, then I think you'll find the crowds to be not bad at all.
I made trips to DLR both in August and December in 2009 and I say visit during the holidays. The holiday decorations were amazing and it certainly is festive there during that time of the year. Plus, they have tons of holiday treats that are really yummy!

By the way, it is true that early December is not as crowded but the Candlelight Processional (which happens in early December...you'll have to look up actual dates) draws huge crowds so you'll definitely want to avoid that.
Flitterific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:52 PM   #13
Nala83
Mouseketeer

One thing to remember- August in southern california is WAY more pleasant than August in Florida. Yes, it's hot...but nothing like the heat and humidity of Florida.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:02 AM   #14
disney-inspired

Disney on the brain 24/7/365!
*grumble* stupid cm *grumble*

I dislike the heat so I try to avoid DLR when it's hot at all costs unless I'm going only for a few hours. It's true that August in Anaheim is much more bearable than August in Orlando but I still hate being hot and smothered by people. If you just plan it well by having a game plan and always having a FP in your hand mean while being flexible, there's no doubt you'd have a great time.

That being said, I LOVE Disneyland at Christmas time. It really takes the magical experience up a notch. I love the cold weather and the low crowds at the beginning of December.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:02 AM   #15
mrswh
DIS Veteran

We were at DLR last August and had a great time! We had fantastic weather - not too hot at all. (We had gone the year before in September and before that in June and both were in the 90s so the 70s last August was wonderful!) It can be in the 90s but more likely 70s and 80s. It did get crowded in the afternoon and evening. It worked out well for us, though - we have a 3 and 5 year old, so we went early while it was still cool and relatively uncrowded, then left in the early afternoon when the heat and crowds got annoying, took a rest at the hotel, and went back in the evening when it had cooled down. DLR did tend to get unbearably crowded later in the day, so we tried to hit DLR early and then went to DCA (with MUCH smaller crowds) after the afternoon rest. It worked out great!

I have not been in December but understand that the 2 weeks around XMas/New Year's are just miserably crowded, so I stay as far away as possible!

One other thing - IMO, when DLR is crowded, it is MUCH worse than when MK is crowded. The walkways are narrower and the whole park is just smaller - the crowds can make it impossible to move in any direction. On the plus side, if you can get out before the traffic jam, you just hop over to DCA, which is a dream!
mrswh is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: