Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2010, 08:54 PM   #31
almburr
DIS Veteran

I[I] asked her if her name was pronounced as Sacagawea and she said yes after the Indian woman who helped Lewis and Clark. Ok,her DM liked history just didn't spell correctly.[/I]

That can be one of the correct spellings, in Lewis and Clarks journals Sacagawea is spelled 14 difffrent ways. It was never spelled the same way twice.

I think sometimes when people give thier kids strange spellings it is because they are trying to spell phonecticaly (sp) and they have know idea.

I know someone who named thier baby Miley after Miley Cyrus.

Last edited by almburr; 01-15-2010 at 09:04 PM.
almburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:57 PM   #32
NikitaZee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageMama View Post
More on Lemonjello and his kin... http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.asp
La-a can be found there too. Ledasha has been found to be a registered name, but not La-a - so it seems.
NikitaZee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2010, 08:58 PM   #33
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Dh works with alot of foreign students in his field and he had a woman who he had to mentor and her name was pronounced Meow Meow (but not spelled that way). He said everytime he said her name he just wanted to giggle like a little kid.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:01 PM   #34
nmmom95
I'm a pregnant lesbian in an interracial relationship
Or am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom21 View Post
Well my name is Lynn. Pretty simple right? I get called everything from Linda to Leanne to Lydia. My dd's name is Aspen. Somewhat different, but who hasn't heard of Aspen, Colorado. She gets called Austin, Astin, and the best one is Aspirin. I mean really.....do you think I named my child Aspirin? Anytime I get calls for dr or dentist appt reminders they say "he". Don't you think after almost 13 years of going to the same place they could look at the chart when they call. Everyone spells it Aspin also. UGH. I tried for a little different, but didn't realize how bad it would be. I really love it when someone asks me in front of her if her dad and I got busy and conceived her in Aspen....NOT
Old 01-15-2010, 09:01 PM   #35
smschex
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikitaZee View Post
La-a can be found there too. Ledasha has been found to be a registered name, but not La-a - so it seems.
I have seen it on a medical record with my own eyes!

smschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:03 PM   #36
NikitaZee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smschex View Post
I have seen it on a medical record with my own eyes!
I'm all for giving your child an unusual name, but in this instance, I can't imagine what that Mom was thinking.
NikitaZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:04 PM   #37
dollarmite
Mouseketeer

My kids' school only has about 500 students, but last year there were 5 girls named Tamika, and each one was spelled differently so that they would be "uneekke" (unique) - Tamika, Tamikka, Tymeka, Tammika, Tymmeekka (and the parents wondered why she has trouble with spelling in general).

Not to mention 2 girls named Shania, 2 boys and 1 girl named Shay/Shaye and a plethora of Taylor/Tayla (boys and girls).

Yet there was only person named Andrew (my DS), no Janes, Lisas, Stevens or Davids - too many of them around I suppose.

I also know a boy named Kameron, who now introduces himself as "Cameraonwithak". (Cameron/Kameron with a K).

I've also come across an Everlasting, a Moonlight, and a Twinkle. Oh, and a Friday - but she was born on a Wednesday.
dollarmite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:04 PM   #38
cheermom1
He NEVER EVER takes them out in public
I am not crazy just a spaz!

Oh I almost forgot that my neighbors son's name is Kneoa "K Noah"

also I was in wal mart one time and some one was calling their son by the name Cyou I don't know how to spell it but it was a cartoon on PBS pronounced "Ky you"

cheermom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #39
OK!
Dreams in
Moral of the story: generic rum = bad
that was my holy grail of the whole sale!

I forgot the story I always trot out in these threads--I met a guy named Cash Register once at a party at school. And he was Cash Register IV. I didn't believe his family could be so cruel until he showed me several forms of ID (I didn't ask for several forms; he volunteered them )
WDW: 1979, 1982, 1985, Nov. 1987, Aug. 1991 (Doubletree), May 1995 (Doubletree), Oct. 1997 (Dixie Landings), Nov. 2001 (Port Orleans Riverside), Dec. 2002 (Dolphin), Dec. 2004 (Port Orleans Riverside), Jan. 2006 (Beach Club Villas), Aug. 2006 (VWL/BCV), Dec. 2006 (BCV/BWV), Jan. 2008 (BCV): ½ Marathon trip!, May 2008 (BCV): graduation trip!, Dec. 2008 (BCV), Jan. 2009 (BCV): ½ Marathon trip!, May 2009: quickie weekend, Jan. 2010 (BWV): ½ Marathon trip!, April 2010: 3 weeks in the World, Aug. '10: moved here for good
OK! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:06 PM   #40
palmtreegirl
DIS Veteran

I don't understand why people seem to care so much about what other people name their children.
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:08 PM   #41
descovy
DIS Veteran

Dis boarders... a kid in dd's 3rd grade class named Disneyanna... which one of you is her momma?
descovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #42
runwad
Can someone tell me how to play SPUD?

I know a Dunyell (Danielle) and she's in her mid 40's. What the heck was her mom smokin??? And Dunyell named her son Latch.
runwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #43
cheermom1
He NEVER EVER takes them out in public
I am not crazy just a spaz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post
Dis boarders... a kid in dd's 3rd grade class named Disneyanna... which one of you is her momma?

that was funny!!!

I know someone that names her kid Mister..yep and he was the II too????

cheermom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:13 PM   #44
spaceacewannabe
I've been SO BAD
Coral Reef was one of our absolute FAVORITES

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikitaZee View Post
Whether or not they ultimately produced a birth certificate with that name on it, I can't say, but that is the name mom wrote down for the contact card at school. Not my student, so I don't know details beyond that.
Perhaps it's a nickname?
spaceacewannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:15 PM   #45
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

Roll your eyes all you want regarding Sh*thead (pronounced Shy-theed) as a name. The person I first head that little ditty from was a very reliable source. A minister. Yes, a minister who taught until he got a church position. I just don't see a minister fibbing. His version was that when he got the class roster on the first day and saw "Sh*thead" he thought someone had messed with the list and was playing a joke. So when he came to Sh*thead Smith's (or whatever her last name was) turn, he made some excuse about not being able to read it and asked her to pronounce it for him. She looked at him like he was an idiot and said, "Shy-theed." He kept his composure somehow and taught the class.

Considering I've met a Washateria and my childhood friend has taught a kid named Syphilis (pronounced suh-FYE-lus), nothing surprises me. I've heard all sorts of hideous names from teacher friends.
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: