Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2010, 08:27 PM   #16
smschex
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceacewannabe View Post
Oooo! Oooo! I've got a good one:
La-a

Pronounced "Ladasha."
Great minds with a single post??

smschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:28 PM   #17
TigerBear
Found him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnCt1 View Post
When we named our second child, we chose a name that had 3 different legitimate spellings; SEAN, SHAWN AND SHAUN. I took a poll. I asked people, "how do you spell SEAN"? Sean Connery was popular then and most people spelled it SEAN. That is the spelling we chose.
Dawn, I have a Shaan. I'm sure people who don't know me think it is creative spelling, but it is actually a Hindi name meaning "pride". My DH is from India. We wanted to name our son a Hindi name that would be easy for people to pronounce. When I tell people his name, I usually always tell them its origin so they don't assume we made it up.
TigerBear is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2010, 08:28 PM   #18
Art 1
DIS Veteran

Good question. And some of the spellings are just silly.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:31 PM   #19
hereyago
DIS Veteran

I was at a store with a clerk who's name was Sacagawea, but it was spelled all wrong.

I asked her if her name was pronounced as Sacagawea and she said yes after the Indian woman who helped Lewis and Clark. Ok,her DM liked history just didn't spell correctly.

My DD has a name of a soap opera character. Not hard to spell only 6 letters but people don't know how to pronounce it even though it is a pretty easy name.
hereyago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:34 PM   #20
Hidden_Mickey
DIS Veteran

There is an NFL player named Dabrickashaw. I have no idea what his last name is because I just couldn't get past the first one. What was his mom thinking? Don't these people realize they just look stupid?
Old 01-15-2010, 08:35 PM   #21
VillageMama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKL_Megs View Post
I also work with a Chryestele... yeah, she's a Crystal.
No, she is Cry-estelle.

Sheesh... and here I am having trouble with Helena!
VillageMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:36 PM   #22
disykat
DIS Veteran

I guess "dunce" is a pretty old term and maybe they're not familiar with it? The first time I heard the name LaTrina I about died, but if I assume they are unfamily with the word "latrine" I can see how someone might have thought it was pretty.

Personally I tried to avoid names that made my child sound stupid or remind anyone of septic issues.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:37 PM   #23
kimmar067
Kimmie Moo Boo Boo
I’m SERIOUS..milk just fell from my --- udder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
Or, stupid spellings. I'm sorry to sound harsh but for real? I saw two names today at work...sisters. Their names are May-gun (with a hyphen!) and Kaydunce.

Now, Megan (in all its variant spellings) is a perfectly nice name, as is Cadence (which is what I assume they were going for ). But spell them May-gun (with a hyphen!) and Kaydunce and now you are just being stupid.

Honestly how did neither parent veto Kaydunce??

If you have named your children May-gun (with a hyphen!) or Kaydunce then I apologize for being harsh. (But I am still snickering at you).

Do you know any perfectly nice names ruined by "creative" spellings? Maybe there are some cute creative spellings and I just don't get to see those.

...when I was doing my student-teaching, one of the women in my practicum class was doing her student-teaching in Paterson (large ethnic population, including many Black-Americans in that particular district)....there were 2 brothers in the 1st grade (the older brother was left back) whose names were, and I am NOT kidding, Lemonjello and Oranjello, pronounced lee-MON-jeh-low and or-ON-jeh-low!! Are you kidding?? And some years ago, my sister had a Muslim student in her class named (with the pronunciation "shy-THEED") and it was spelled Shiithead....
. July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath..."
kimmar067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:37 PM   #24
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
I see stupid spellings all the time at work (I'm a pediatric nurse). I have laughed over many names that I've seen (Jalantic, Farae'lijah, Izeighya [Isaiah], Trenadi [Trinity]) and always think I'll find nothing to top it, but yesterday's find takes the cake. All I can say is that at least they spelled it right, and didn't add any unnecessary apostrophes (or a "comma to the top" as we so lovingly call it). We got a little girl named Confidence. CONFIDENCE! That is not a name!!
These things never cease to amaze me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Reese View Post
I have had students named after states: Arizona, Georgia and Alabama. People give their kids stupid names because they think it will make their kid unique. No it doesn't. It makes you look like an idiot.
Georgia was a name long before the state and I think its a pretty, but I defintely agree with the others you mentioned.

I think we all remember the little boy named Adolph Hitler who couldn't get a birthday cake.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:41 PM   #25
Mom21
DIS Veteran

Well my name is Lynn. Pretty simple right? I get called everything from Linda to Leanne to Lydia. My dd's name is Aspen. Somewhat different, but who hasn't heard of Aspen, Colorado. She gets called Austin, Astin, and the best one is Aspirin. I mean really.....do you think I named my child Aspirin? Anytime I get calls for dr or dentist appt reminders they say "he". Don't you think after almost 13 years of going to the same place they could look at the chart when they call. Everyone spells it Aspin also. UGH. I tried for a little different, but didn't realize how bad it would be. I really love it when someone asks me in front of her if her dad and I got busy and conceived her in Aspen....NOT
Old 01-15-2010, 08:43 PM   #26
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmar067 View Post
...when I was doing my student-teaching, one of the women in my practicum class was doing her student-teaching in Paterson (large ethnic population, including many Black-Americans in that particular district)....there were 2 brothers in the 1st grade (the older brother was left back) whose names were, and I am NOT kidding, Lemonjello and Oranjello, pronounced lee-MON-jeh-low and or-ON-jeh-low!! Are you kidding?? And some years ago, my sister had a Muslim student in her class named (with the pronunciation "shy-THEED") and it was spelled Shiithead....
Wow, the "jello" brothers really get around. Whenever a thread like this pops up, someone always knew/knows them. And a Shiithead and La-a.

I have a learning disability and have enough trouble spelling without have to figure out totally weird names and their spellings.
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:47 PM   #27
TwingleMum
DIS Veteran

My Dsis is a peds nurse and she was about to call CPS on a couple because of what they named their baby they spelt it As_hole. fill in the blank to pass filter. So she went charging into the room and said "What did you name your baby girl??" and the Mom said Ashley ~ A-s-*-h-o-l-e. My sister was stunned and tactfully changed the name on the birth certificate and explained the facts of life to Mommy dearest.
TwingleMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:47 PM   #28
VillageMama
Mouseketeer

More on Lemonjello and his kin... http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.asp
VillageMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:49 PM   #29
cheermom1
He NEVER EVER takes them out in public
I am not crazy just a spaz!

I know someone that names her dd Jealous...I don't know why??? That is the worst I think I have heard..I also know a Tuna Luna...

cheermom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:50 PM   #30
omghidanielle
DIS Veteran

My husband and I were in line at an H&M and these twin boys were driving their mother (and us) completely insane. She went to yell at one of them and said "DahDah! Knock it off!" and the kid responded with "Mom....I'm DayDay.", She then said "I know who you are, I named you."

I could barely contain myself. I don't know how their names are spelled, but I hope they are DaDa and DaDa.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: