Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
Skywalker
Finds good homes for stray tags
Elevators freak me out
Have you seen my coolness?
If hell exists, it will be filled with spiders

WHY do people give their kids stupid names?

Or, stupid spellings. I'm sorry to sound harsh but for real? I saw two names today at work...sisters. Their names are May-gun (with a hyphen!) and Kaydunce.

Now, Megan (in all its variant spellings) is a perfectly nice name, as is Cadence (which is what I assume they were going for ). But spell them May-gun (with a hyphen!) and Kaydunce and now you are just being stupid.

Honestly how did neither parent veto Kaydunce??

If you have named your children May-gun (with a hyphen!) or Kaydunce then I apologize for being harsh. (But I am still snickering at you).

Do you know any perfectly nice names ruined by "creative" spellings? Maybe there are some cute creative spellings and I just don't get to see those.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
DawnCt1
I had to wonder what "holiday" he thought we would be celebrating with a tree?Answer: Arbor Day
Personally I have always wanted to be a super hero

Because these parents have no idea that these names aren't stupid. They probably grew up with names like Sue, Cindy, Bob and Bill which they considered "ordinary" and want to be "unique". What they did however is to saddle their children with names that they will have to spell for the rest of their lives. When I grew up I was the only DAWN that I knew. I didn't meet another Dawn until I was in 10th grade. I went through school spelling my name to strangers. "No, not Donna, not Don, Dawn, like the morning". At least it was spelled like Dawn in the morning. When we named our second child, we chose a name that had 3 different legitimate spellings; SEAN, SHAWN AND SHAUN. I took a poll. I asked people, "how do you spell SEAN"? Sean Connery was popular then and most people spelled it SEAN. That is the spelling we chose.
DawnCt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
Southerngirl71
Mouseketeer

My niece just named her baby girl "Jurzie". Don't ask. I have no idea why. We all gave our opinion but it did not matter to her.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
Sparx
DIS Veteran

i hate them too, but i'm at may-gun (with a hypen!)

mighty putty can fix everything but my broken heart
rip billy mays
i love, i have loved, i will love.

and the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:55 PM   #5
Bluestars
Smile and let the world wonder what you have been up to
I know I am strange, but you asked

I feel sorry for people whose parents misspell their names on purpose. Who wants to go through life with their name constantly misspelled?

I know a Maryln.
Bluestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnCt1 View Post
Because these parents have no idea that these names aren't stupid. They probably grew up with names like Sue, Cindy, Bob and Bill which they considered "ordinary" and want to be "unique". What they did however is to saddle their children with names that they will have to spell for the rest of their lives. When I grew up I was the only DAWN that I knew. I didn't meet another Dawn until I was in 10th grade. I went through school spelling my name to strangers. "No, not Donna, not Don, Dawn, like the morning". At least it was spelled like Dawn in the morning. When we named our second child, we chose a name that had 3 different legitimate spellings; SEAN, SHAWN AND SHAUN. I took a poll. I asked people, "how do you spell SEAN"? Sean Connery was popular then and most people spelled it SEAN. That is the spelling we chose.

HAHAHAHAHHA!

I am also a Dawn and I still have to spell my name. Plus, I'm in a mostly male industry so when my name is said, people assume I am Don.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:58 PM   #7
Spinning
Give me a chunk of something and hot glue/no sew glue and I "create"
The Tag Fairy loves the dog costume I made! Do you do one with wing holes?
Needs tiny bandaids for holes in fingers

what to hear something funny. My dad's name is Gerald ...but it was always spelled Gearld...that is how my grandma spelled....when my dad died and my mom got a copy of his birth certificate it was actually spelled correctly....dear grammy spelled it wrong which then my dad spelled it wrong....so who knows maybe some names get spelled wrong for all kids of odd reasons....but at least I can now say bad spelling is in my genes! LOL!

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally the Tag Fairy lost the last part of my quote.. bad fairy. Bad bad fairy.
Spinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:06 PM   #8
OK!
Dreams in
Moral of the story: generic rum = bad
that was my holy grail of the whole sale!

I'm a Jodie and have to spell my name every time someone asks for it. Usually if they guess, they guess "Jodi." It's kind of ridiculous how excited I get when someone actually guesses correctly.

ETA: Oh, and I was behind someone at a light once who had an airbrushed spare-tire cover on the back of her Jeep with (I presume) her name on it. It was "Spar-klé." Pronounced "spar-klay," I guess?
WDW: 1979, 1982, 1985, Nov. 1987, Aug. 1991 (Doubletree), May 1995 (Doubletree), Oct. 1997 (Dixie Landings), Nov. 2001 (Port Orleans Riverside), Dec. 2002 (Dolphin), Dec. 2004 (Port Orleans Riverside), Jan. 2006 (Beach Club Villas), Aug. 2006 (VWL/BCV), Dec. 2006 (BCV/BWV), Jan. 2008 (BCV): ½ Marathon trip!, May 2008 (BCV): graduation trip!, Dec. 2008 (BCV), Jan. 2009 (BCV): ½ Marathon trip!, May 2009: quickie weekend, Jan. 2010 (BWV): ½ Marathon trip!, April 2010: 3 weeks in the World, Aug. '10: moved here for good
OK! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:07 PM   #9
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

I see stupid spellings all the time at work (I'm a pediatric nurse). I have laughed over many names that I've seen (Jalantic, Farae'lijah, Izeighya [Isaiah], Trenadi [Trinity]) and always think I'll find nothing to top it, but yesterday's find takes the cake. All I can say is that at least they spelled it right, and didn't add any unnecessary apostrophes (or a "comma to the top" as we so lovingly call it). We got a little girl named Confidence. CONFIDENCE! That is not a name!!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014

Last edited by khertz; 01-15-2010 at 08:15 PM.
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:17 PM   #10
Mrs.Reese
My name is Dr. Reese and I am a crocaholic

I have had students named after states: Arizona, Georgia and Alabama. People give their kids stupid names because they think it will make their kid unique. No it doesn't. It makes you look like an idiot.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:20 PM   #11
AKL_Megs
I'd Rather Be At AKL!!!
I feel exposed if I'm not covered

How about Alexya? A co-worker of mine has a little girl named that... and it is pronounced like "Alexia"... Are you sure, mom??? Don't you DARE call her daughter AleKsYa... oh no!

I know someone who named their son Xavier Zane. (And I must admit that at first I hated it, but it has grown on me!)

I also work with a Chryestele... yeah, she's a Crystal.

AKL_Megs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:20 PM   #12
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Reese View Post
I have had students named after states: Arizona, Georgia and Alabama. People give their kids stupid names because they think it will make their kid unique. No it doesn't. It makes you look like an idiot.
My co-worker's husband loves the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and is trying to convince her that Tampa would make a great girls' name!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #13
smschex
Mouseketeer

I'm in pediatrics too. My favorite new name is La-a. It is pronounced "Lah-dash-a".

smschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:23 PM   #14
AKL_Megs
I'd Rather Be At AKL!!!
I feel exposed if I'm not covered

And FWIW, I am Meaghan... sounds like May-Gun without the strange spelling and hyphen!

AKL_Megs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:23 PM   #15
spaceacewannabe
I've been SO BAD
Coral Reef was one of our absolute FAVORITES

Oooo! Oooo! I've got a good one:
La-a

Pronounced "Ladasha."
spaceacewannabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: