Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2010, 10:34 PM   #121
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

My friends that have never been to Disneyland are always amazed by how close the off site places are. I love the trees and everything in DTD..
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:51 AM   #122
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

That is amazing that you had the stairs to get off. Not like you were on a small or prop plane.

Glad you made up some time in the air.. love how they do that. Why don't they just fly that fast all the time?

Your hotel looks nice! 2 TP holders too!!! You can never be too safe!!!!

DTD looks really cool!
that's nice is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-24-2010, 11:51 AM   #123
kaoden39
Hugs

I was amazed the first time I flew into a southern California airport and it was like that. I flew into San Diego several years ago and it had the roll up staircases and I was shocked. Long Beach is a small town so that doesn't surprise me.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:41 PM   #124
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
My friends that have never been to Disneyland are always amazed by how close the off site places are. I love the trees and everything in DTD..
It was a lot closer than I was expecting, definitely a good thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
That is amazing that you had the stairs to get off. Not like you were on a small or prop plane.

Glad you made up some time in the air.. love how they do that. Why don't they just fly that fast all the time?

Your hotel looks nice! 2 TP holders too!!! You can never be too safe!!!!

DTD looks really cool!
Last time I used stairs like that, it was at Nassau's airport, years ago!

DTD was really nice. The only thing I missed were some more Disney shops like the Marketplace has at WDW.

Quote:
I was amazed the first time I flew into a southern California airport and it was like that. I flew into San Diego several years ago and it had the roll up staircases and I was shocked. Long Beach is a small town so that doesn't surprise me.
San Diego does it too?!

And for anyone who hasn't seen this, it's an important post on Vacation Countdowns... http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2427342 You'll see that I've changed mine!
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #125
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

I love all your pictures of Disneyland. I'm going to have to change my mindset, having been there hundreds of times I just don't see it the same way as someone with fresh eyes. I'll be looking forward to more pictures to get me in the mindset of staying there in a few weeks, as opposed to a jaded local!
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:59 PM   #126
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
I love all your pictures of Disneyland. I'm going to have to change my mindset, having been there hundreds of times I just don't see it the same way as someone with fresh eyes. I'll be looking forward to more pictures to get me in the mindset of staying there in a few weeks, as opposed to a jaded local!
That's a good thought. I go to WDW so often that now my pictures are mostly of the food I eat I hearby make a pact to look at Disney with new eyes!
Old 03-24-2010, 06:12 PM   #127
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post
That's a good thought. I go to WDW so often that now my pictures are mostly of the food I eat I hearby make a pact to look at Disney with new eyes!
That is so funny! If you were to check out my F&W Review which is really at PTR for the upcoming F&W Festival you'd see that the only pictures I take is of food! I'm going to have to think more like I do at WDW where I take pictures of every little aspect of the hotel room, the grounds, the boats, the Castle, the Tree of Life, all the Animals, the Pavillions. I'll have to get my head out of my food and enjoy the little details like the lobby of the DLH like you did!
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:18 PM   #128
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
That is so funny! If you were to check out my F&W Review which is really at PTR for the upcoming F&W Festival you'd see that the only pictures I take is of food! I'm going to have to think more like I do at WDW where I take pictures of every little aspect of the hotel room, the grounds, the boats, the Castle, the Tree of Life, all the Animals, the Pavillions. I'll have to get my head out of my food and enjoy the little details like the lobby of the DLH like you did!
I saw your post about the Napa Rose cooking school! That looks so neat, I wish they'd do something like that for WDW's F&W!

Speaking of food...I think I'll get to the next installment...DINNER!
Old 03-24-2010, 10:42 PM   #129
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

...where's the Castle?

We were pretty hungry when we got to California, it was past dinner time on the East Coast, and all we really had were snacks on the plane. We were trying to hold off as long as we could, but didn't do very well! We went up to Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen, located in DTD right after they started seating for dinner...didn't have a problem without a reservation/PS. They asked us if we wanted outside or inside, it was a no brainer...we chose outside! We were on the corner upstairs looking out, amazing!

I was really excited to try Ralph Brennan's after BippityBoo (who's from Louisiana) mentioned that he has some restaurants in New Orleans as well. Figured it would be more "authentic." ...which is important, seeing as how I've never been to New Orleans, so I would totally know the difference. I really liked the decor of the restaurant, the wrought iron, etc. Definitely how I picture New Orleans in my mind...but again, my only real reference is Port Orleans French Quarter

Menu:

We opted not to get an appetizer and skipped right to the main course. It took a little while for it to come out, but not terribly long. After all, we were the first people seated!

I order the Blackened Salmon with Blue Crab over watercress:

It was really tasty! I really enjoyed it because I don't like eating heavy after traveling. The portion size was great too!

My boyfriend ordered the Grilled Medallions of Beef, served over crawfish mashed potatoes.

I wasn't surprised. We have a great restaurant here (Tavern 58 in case anyone finds themselves in Rochester ) that he always orders their Beef Medallions when we go. Again, portion size was perfect and he really liked the dish, especially the crawfish mashed potatoes.

Now, for anyone who's read my dining reports from WDW, it comes as no surprise that we got dessert. For anyone else: I have a giant sweet tooth. No meal is complete without something sweet! And on their menu they had a chocolate bread pudding souffle! No way was I passing that up. We ordered it with our meals since it takes a while to prepare.

Now this? It was devine! The picture was taken after the waiter poured the sauces in. Only problem was that it was really hot...and I have no patience when it comes to dessert!

After dinner, it was finally time to enter the parks. The moment I had been dreaming of for years was about to happen...except...I left the print-out of the tickets back in the room! Luckily, we went up to the Ticket Booth and they were able to find them and re-issue them ...and we got our "First Visit" buttons. (I was especially excited for the buttons, I mean, I can't get it at WDW!)

I took the obligatory pictures of the train station:

And of course me in front of it:

We went through the tunnel and eventually saw this:

...wait...where's the Castle? I knew from reading the Disboards that I needed to prepare myself for the size of the Castle, but even with that, I was still surprised. Every time I walked by, I commented on it. It's that much different!

Walking down Main Street was different...I could see the Matterhorn over to the right:

And there was a hot dog place where Casey's is in the MK, but no corn dog nuggets!

All kidding aside, I was totally stoked to be DL. All I wanted to do was run around and look at everything, soak up every moment. Thank goodness my boyfriend was there to bring me back down to Earth!
We walked a bit, deciding to get our lay of the land, perhaps ride whatever catches our fancy until we get sleepy...trying of course to stay up as late as possible.

oh, there's the Castle!

We found Snow White's wishing well:

...and then we made our way into Fantasyland...which ride would we do first? Stay tuned!
Old 03-24-2010, 10:45 PM   #130
kaoden39
Hugs

It may be small but it is pretty.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:50 PM   #131
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It may be small but it is pretty.
That it definitely is! I really liked the way it came into Fantasyland in the back, you got much more of the feeling of being in a Castle Courtyard.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:16 PM   #132
kaoden39
Hugs

Quote:
That it definitely is! I really liked the way it came into Fantasyland in the back, you got much more of the feeling of being in a Castle Courtyard.
That's how it feels to me.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:53 AM   #133
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Now this? It was devine! The picture was taken after the waiter poured the sauces in. Only problem was that it was really hot...and I have no patience when it comes to dessert!

wait...where's the Castle? I knew from reading the Disboards that I needed to prepare myself for the size of the Castle, but even with that, I was still surprised. Every time I walked by, I commented on it. It's that much different!

And there was a hot dog place where Casey's is in the MK, but no corn dog nuggets!
No corn dog nuggets! That is a WDW tradition for us! Guess we'll have to make a DL tradition out of something else!

I cannot wait to try Ralph Brennans ... especially that dessert! Oh my, it looks delish!

I am nervous about the Castle, too. Definitely going to focus on the "pretty" rather than the size. Pics of DL Main Street look strange to me so I am sure the real thing will be a shock.

Great start! Cannot wait for me ... totally getting me even more psyched for our trip!
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:00 AM   #134
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Woo hoo, you made it into Disneyland! Being WDW vets before our trip to DL we were also surprised at the castle size. But it still is cool.

That wishing well is really neat! I don't think we saw that when we went.
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIPS: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!! April '15-VWL!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
wdwgirl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:36 AM   #135
magicalfoursome
DIS Veteran

We went through the tunnel and eventually saw this:

...wait...where's the Castle? I knew from reading the Disboards that I needed to prepare myself for the size of the Castle, but even with that, I was still surprised. Every time I walked by, I commented on it. It's that much different!

I am so enjoying your TR!! I am also a WDW vet who is visiting DL for the 1st time this July! Wow-- your pic of Main Street with the castle just looks so odd!! The Castle is so pretty but so different from the one in WDW. I keep telling myself it will be a lot smaller but I still think I will be surprised when I see it. I am looking forward to more reports-- I am so excited for my trip to DL!!
BWV April '14 AKV Nov '12 GCF July '12 Dream, BLT, US RP July '11 DLH July '10 BWV March '10 US HRH & Disney's VB June 09 BC MNSSHP Oct/Nov 08, WL MVMCP & US RP Nov 06, POFQ & Wonder April 05 WL Oct 03, GF May '96, CBR May '90, offsite April '00, Jan '89 & Dec '76
magicalfoursome is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: