Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
HunnyJar
DIS Veteran

Convertible Car Seat

Can anyone recommend a convertible car seat that is airline approved? We haven't yet decided on getting a seat for my daughter on our upcoming flight, but if we do get her a seat we will need to buy a new car seat that is airline approved. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

HunnyJar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
Derby
Mouseketeer

If you just want a seat for travel and/or a back-up seat, I would get a Cosco Scenera. You can find them for $45-$50, they are extremely lightweight, and even come with their own travel bag. I bought ours at Target but they are also at Wal-Mart, Sears, and maybe Babies R Us.

2014 Coronado Springs (November)
2013 Pop Century
2011 Hurricane Irene Escape Trip (Floridays) *DD2's 1st Trip! (10 weeks old)*
2010 All-Star Movies
2009 3-day cruise on the Wonder/Caribbean Beach Resort *DD1's 1st Trip! (11 months old)*
2003, 2004, 2007 off site
1994 & 1996 Wilderness Lodge
As a child: too many times to count (off site at grandparents)
Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2010, 01:24 PM   #3
msmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
If you just want a seat for travel and/or a back-up seat, I would get a Cosco Scenera. You can find them for $45-$50, they are extremely lightweight, and even come with their own travel bag. I bought ours at Target but they are also at Wal-Mart, Sears, and maybe Babies R Us.
I second this.

If it's an "all the time" carseat though, I'd go with something better.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:01 PM   #4
Cedarmom
Mouseketeer

All of the convertible seats you can buy in the US are FAA approved. Look on the side to make sure, but I'm relatively certain you can't get one that isn't. A Britax Regent isn't, but 1. it isn't a convertible, and 2. a 10 month old shouldn't be in it anyway.

And I agree w/ the others. A Scenera is a great choice for an 'airplane seat', but notsomuch for an everyday seat. Other good choices are the Britax Marathon and the Graco MyRide.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
mrs.explorer1977
Mouseketeer

We have a Sunshine Kids Radian. It's great for travel, because the seat folds and it's got a carrying strap. It's also installed in DH's Jeep full time.
Trips with the Mr: Feb'04 POP/FW; Sept'05 Honeymoon WL, BC & GF; Sept'05 Disney Wonder 4 Day; Jan'07 BCV & Disney Magic Western - Our 1st trip HOME!!; Jan'08 AKV - Colin's First Trip ; May'08 - Long Weekend AKL; Dec'08 - AKV/SSR/BW with Nana & Papa; Sep '09 - BWV; Mar '10 - VWL; Jan '11 - POFQ Free Dining!/BLT - Amelia's First Trip ; May '11 - SSR; Jan '12 - AKV Kidani/4 day Disney Dream!; Aug '12 - POFQ Surprise Trip for the kids!; Feb '13 - BWV Adults only trip; July '13 - Polynesian Birthday Trip for DS and DD; Sept '15 - Aulani & 10 night cruise Hawaii to Vancouver for our 10th Anniversary
mrs.explorer1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:39 PM   #6
gymboqueenkaylee
Mouseketeer

I LOVE the Britax Marathon and it's FAA approved and it's an awesome seat for daily use. Well worth the money spent on it. We have one and LOVE it. I even made a believer out my mother who thought all car seats were the same!

A month in FL....what to do? Disney of Course! June 2015!!!
gymboqueenkaylee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:46 AM   #7
MarriedToAPrince
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymboqueenkaylee View Post
I LOVE the Britax Marathon and it's FAA approved and it's an awesome seat for daily use. Well worth the money spent on it. We have one and LOVE it. I even made a believer out my mother who thought all car seats were the same!

Couldn't agree with this more!! We actually have 2, one in each vehicle.

9/2000-offsite; 6/2003-All Star Sports-Our Honeymoon; 5/2005-Caribbean Beach; 9/2006-Pop Century; 5/2007-Port Orleans Riverside our baby girl; 9-10/2010-Pop Century-Chaeli's 1st Trip and 3rd Birthday Celebration!; 8/2012-Coronado Springs, 8/2014-Art of Animation
MarriedToAPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:37 AM   #8
moparop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
That's what I was going to suggest -- a great back-up, traveling seat!
Old 01-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #9
Momtotwogirls
Mouseketeer

You can not go wrong with Britax Marathon and at albeebaby.com they are having wonderful sales on them. HTH!

Also, we have the Cosco Scenera as a back up carseat. The install sucks on it, but for a travel/second seat it is fine. I would not want it as my all the time seat for my kids, though.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:17 AM   #10
HunnyJar
DIS Veteran

Thank you so much for your responses!! I really appreciate it. It's been a LONG time since I even had to worry about a convertible car seat, so I'm a bit rusty on all of it. My son is 14 and my daughter is going to be 1 during our trip next month.. Bit of an age gap there. Anyway, I'm going to take a look at all the suggested car seats this weekend!

Thanks again!

Old 01-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #11
BCMM
Earning My Ears

We also have the Sunshine Kids Radian. Its great because it folds and we also needed a narrow car seat to fit in my car.
BCMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #12
stephen11
Mouseketeer

cosco scenera for air travel

We are buying this car seat for air travel only for our one-year old. Is it difficult to install in the airplane seat?
stephen11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:11 PM   #13
Swimalie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedarmom View Post
All of the convertible seats you can buy in the US are FAA approved. Look on the side to make sure, but I'm relatively certain you can't get one that isn't. A Britax Regent isn't, but 1. it isn't a convertible, and 2. a 10 month old shouldn't be in it anyway.
Um.. why are you saying a 10 month old shouldn't be in a convertible seat? My son was in one at 6 months when he grew out of his infant seat. Most convertible seats start at 5 lbs. I believe the "rule of thumb" is that the child needs to be able too hold their head up. My son is still in a convertible seat at age 5 and will be until he outgrows it in height. We have the Britax Frontier. I don't know how well it fits in an airline seat, though since we just got it in Dec and haven't used it on a plane yet. Before that we had a Boulevard and loved it! It was relatively easy to put in an airplane seat.
Swimalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #14
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtotwogirls View Post
Also, we have the Cosco Scenera as a back up carseat. The install sucks on it, but for a travel/second seat it is fine. I would not want it as my all the time seat for my kids, though.
FWIW, in DH's car (at the time), the Scenera was a much easier install than the Roundabout was! It all depends on the car and where you're putting it. DH never wanted the Roundabout in his car b/c it was such a pain to get in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimalie View Post
Um.. why are you saying a 10 month old shouldn't be in a convertible seat? My son was in one at 6 months when he grew out of his infant seat.
They were saying that a 10 month old shouldn't be in a *Regent*. And they shouldn't be.

OP, are you looking for a new seat b/c you need one anyway? Or because you have something that's not approved? If it's the latter, are you sure it's not approved?

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:42 PM   #15
HunnyJar
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=bumbershoot;36204007]FWIW, in DH's car (at the time), the Scenera was a much easier install than the Roundabout was! It all depends on the car and where you're putting it. DH never wanted the Roundabout in his car b/c it was such a pain to get in there.

They were saying that a 10 month old shouldn't be in a *Regent*. And they shouldn't be.

OP, are you looking for a new seat b/c you need one anyway? Or because you have something that's not approved? If it's the latter, are you sure it's not approved?[/QUOTE]

I wrote this back in January prior to our trip. We currently have a carseat that is good up until 32 lbs, but we didn't want to bring that whole seat plus base with us on the flight. Anyway.. Everything worked out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: