Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2010, 12:34 PM   #76
liznboys
I wish upon stars!
I met the Tag Fairy in VMK!

The pull out was fine. It had this crease in it between the top 2/3 and bottom 1/3 that at first I thought would bother me. But it didn't. I actually kinda stuck my feet in there and it was comfy.

It sure was hard getting to sleep that night. My mind was racing and my body just wanted to get up and go!! I did peak out the window to see the Electric Water Pageant, which of course we couldn't see from our room, not sure why I looked out. I loved hearing it though! It's one of my favorite WDW things.

Carissa, Jenny and I are close, but not THAT close. (No offense, Jenny. ) There are only 5 people on this planet I would share a bed with.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:38 PM   #77
disneylovin24
~Let It Go~

Can't wait to read about the marathon!!!!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2010, 04:30 PM   #78
jo
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by liznboys View Post
Ok, here's the thing with the big tyvec decision... I was standing there thinking, if I buy these stinkin' things then I'm giving in to the fact that there REALLY might be rain. Furthermore, I thought if I buy them I won't end up needing them and if I don't buy them I will end up needing them....because that is how life goes sometimes. What to do, what to do?!?!?

jo and anyone else who truly wants to start running, Jenny already said it but I will say it again, definitely check out the Couch to 5K program. I did the program myself last year! That is how I began running. Before that I was not a runner by any stretch, I didn't even exercise AT ALL for many years before that (besides being the mom to four active little boys). I was truly going from the COUCH to a 5K. I even teased to my dh the week before I was planning to start the program... I was sitting on the couch and told him, "Look, I'm doing great, already on step 1!" haha The first week of workouts have you running for 60 seconds at a time....even that was hard for me! But after the 9 weeks I was able to run 3 miles non-stop. It really works!

Here's a link for beginner runners:
http://www.active.com/running/Articl...ning-Today.htm

And here's the C25K program:
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I could go on an on about being a new runner and doing this program but I'll stop. Anyone out there feel free to PM me with any questions. I would LOVE to help others who want to run. I can't tell you how happy I am to be a runner now, and to have done the WDW Half is simply amazing!!

Thank you! I did check out the C25K site and printed it out! You two have really motivated me to do this!
Old 01-20-2010, 08:12 PM   #79
dismagiclover
Mrs. Darling: Mom to Wendy, John & Michael

Quote:
The pull out was fine. It had this crease in it between the top 2/3 and bottom 1/3 that at first I thought would bother me. But it didn't. I actually kinda stuck my feet in there and it was comfy.

It sure was hard getting to sleep that night. My mind was racing and my body just wanted to get up and go!! I did peak out the window to see the Electric Water Pageant, which of course we couldn't see from our room, not sure why I looked out. I loved hearing it though! It's one of my favorite WDW things.

Carissa, Jenny and I are close, but not THAT close. (No offense, Jenny. ) There are only 5 people on this planet I would share a bed with.
I'm glad the bed was comfy! I didn't realize you got up and peaked out the window. I must have either been asleep or very close to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneylovin24 View Post
Can't wait to read about the marathon!!!!
Can't wait to tell you about it!
Old 01-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #80
dismagiclover

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo View Post
Thank you! I did check out the C25K site and printed it out! You two have really motivated me to do this!
Good luck! I'm always happy to share any advice I have. But remember you get what you pay for
Old 01-20-2010, 09:57 PM   #81
Ellester
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a great birthday dinner! Cali Grille is on my list for a non-kid meal. I agree that having to keep my kids entertained tends to minimize the relaxation aspect of a nice meal. Two hours for a meal would about kill them! (If I didn't first! ) Can't wait to hear about the race!
Old 01-21-2010, 03:03 AM   #82
Stefy
Fantasising of our next DCL & WDW Trip

Ooh the excitement is rising for the race now. Forgot to add in my last post, am glad you decided to go with the Tyvek in the end
Old 01-21-2010, 10:13 AM   #83
dismagiclover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellester View Post
Sounds like a great birthday dinner! Cali Grille is on my list for a non-kid meal. I agree that having to keep my kids entertained tends to minimize the relaxation aspect of a nice meal. Two hours for a meal would about kill them! (If I didn't first! ) Can't wait to hear about the race!
Even my calm 10 year old girl wouldn't enjoy a 2 hour meal. My 7 and 5 year old boys would think they had died and ended up where they didn't want to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefy View Post
Ooh the excitement is rising for the race now. Forgot to add in my last post, am glad you decided to go with the Tyvek in the end
The Tyvek was definitely the right decision. I watched a bit of the Gunners game last night to make DH happy and I thought of you.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:06 AM   #84
liznboys
I wish upon stars!
I met the Tag Fairy in VMK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo View Post
Yay! Keep us posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismagiclover View Post
I'm glad the bed was comfy! I didn't realize you got up and peaked out the window. I must have either been asleep or very close to it!
Yeah, I remember I heard the music and I thought for a second if I should say anything about it because I knew you were like me, TRYING to relax and fall asleep. But then I couldn't help myself, had to ask you if you heard it too. You replied but I could tell you were more interested in working on sleep. Which was a very good thing, because if you were all excited to hear it like I was, we probably would have ended up getting up and heading out of the room to watch it from somewhere...thereby making sleep occur even later!
Old 01-21-2010, 03:43 PM   #85
dismagiclover

Quote:
Which was a very good thing, because if you were all excited to hear it like I was, we probably would have ended up getting up and heading out of the room to watch it from somewhere...thereby making sleep occur even later!
Then we would have only gotten 3 1/2 hours of sleep instead of 4 1/2 hours
Old 01-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #86
dismagiclover

The Marshmallow Gang

At 3:00 am sharp Liz’s alarm went off and she rolled out of bed to get ready. It took me a bit longer to get up and I finally got out of bed around 3:30. It was insane to be up that early! We piled on all our multiple layers, ate a quick breakfast and headed out of the room a little after 4:00 am. As we walked across the bridge to the Contemporary we shivered and it was an unsettling realization that we were going to run in this weather. It was about 30 degrees F. We headed over to the monorail and there was a train waiting for us so we hopped on with all of the other crazy people willing to be up at 4 am to go for a run in these freezing conditions. Liz snapped this incredibly flattering picture of me in my marshmallow garb.

Check out all those layers. Pure Comedy. I snapped one of Liz (who looks way too happy for this time of the morning.)

Before we knew it we were arriving at Epcot. I knew there were real restrooms (as opposed to the hundreds of port a potties to come) right by the monorail stop so we made the first of many potty stops of the morning. Everyone in the restroom was lamenting the weather. One runner was from Florida and I believe in a state of utter shock. Liz decided to don her Marshmallow gear

We headed out into the dark, frigid outdoors and made our way over to the starting area. We were surrounded by fellow runners and most of them were quiet as we contemplated the task ahead of us. As we came close to the race area we heard the music blaring and a DJ trying to create a party atmosphere, but most of us were just trying to stay warm. We chit chatted with a woman from Pennsylvania (about the weather of course) and Liz looked up at the lights and took a picture.

That is snow. In Florida. And we aren’t on Main Street during the Christmas Party! This was the real deal. So don’t ever let anyone tell you it doesn’t snow in Florida. There are 20,000 insane runners who can testify to you that it does! The realization hit me that despite all of my optimism this was not to be a dry race. I tried not to think too much about that and we headed through the tents to the runners only area where we were greeted by hundreds of Port a Potties and thousands of people waiting for said Port a Potties. We hopped in a line. Pre race nerves, over hydration, and cold weather do funny things to the bladder. We picked the wrong line. Most of the lines had 2-3 port a potties serving them. Ours had one. The woman behind us kept encouraging whoever was at the front of our line to rush another port a potty. No one ever did. Anyway, we made it through the line and by the time we were done the crowds had thinned out quite a bit as everyone headed toward the starting corrals. We took a bit of a walk (I’d guess around a half mile) on a road through a backstage area. We noticed a few old boats and such. No pictures though. I think we were a bit nervous. We finally made it to our corral (Corral G) and waded our way through the crowds. We tried to get up as far as we could, but it wasn’t too far. We found our spot and plopped down and waited. (In our fully marshmallowed up condition)

And waited.

And waited.

Fireworks!

The gun went off.

And we waited. The gun went off again. More fireworks. And we waited. Gun went off. Fireworks. Waited.

And we MOVED A LITTLE BIT!

And more fireworks!

The race was on.

As we slowly made our way to the starting line we began stripping off the extra layers we’d brought for the wait. We threw them to the sides (Disney collects them and donates them to charity. This was a banner year for that). I even stripped off the Tyvek jacket because the zipper broke. (I know it is a one time use thing, but geez.) We approached the start line.

Look who was wishing us luck as we crossed the starting line.

And then we finally made it under this:

So thirty five minutes after the elite runners crossed the starting line (which meant they were around mile 7) we finally crossed. The race was on!

Old 01-21-2010, 05:08 PM   #87
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Wow! I'm in shock of how long it takes to get to the starting line! I'm sure you'll probably tell as we get further along (maybe next installment), but I'm wondering how long until the crowd starts to thin out. Doesn't even look like a person could start jogging/running at the point.

I am very nervous about the peeing aspect of a half marathon. As we know from my previous TRs, I have a teeny, tiny thimble of a bladder and I'm afraid I'll have to pee often. I'll have to train for it! Marathon Peeing!

I thought there was something else I was gonna say, but I've lost it. Oh well....

**NEW TR** S.O.C.K. and Stitch Return to the World with a Dog

Last edited by carissanboys; 01-22-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:35 AM   #88
Stefy
Fantasising of our next DCL & WDW Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismagiclover View Post
The Tyvek was definitely the right decision. I watched a bit of the Gunners game last night to make DH happy and I thought of you.
Aww thanx They have quite a few matches coming up, Premier League and all, but at least we are at the top

Gosh thats alot of people for that early in the morning I salute you both.

I love how Mickey and the gang cheered you on as you went by the start, awesome

Looking forward to reading more about the race
Old 01-22-2010, 06:40 AM   #89
disneylovin24
~Let It Go~

Snow on marathon day

I'm very intrested in reading the marathon, I have always wondered how disney does a marathone

I can't believe it took that long to reach the start line

Old 01-22-2010, 09:13 AM   #90
dismagiclover

Quote:
Originally Posted by carissanboys View Post
Wow! I'm in shock of how long it takes to get to the starting line! I'm sure you'll probably tell as we get further along (maybe next installment), but I'm wondering how long until the crowd starts to thin out. Doesn't even look like a person could start jogging/running at the point.

I am very nervous about the peeing aspect of a half marathon. As we know from my previous TRs, I have a teeny, tiny thimble and I'm afraid I'll have to pee often. I'll have to train for it! Marathon Peeing!

I thought there was something else I was gonna say, but I've lost it. Oh well....
We were in the last corral and they had several different waves or starts all separated by 10 minutes. So we didn't start until I think the 4th wave. To be honest it never really thinned out. This is quite a crowded race. They assign corrals based on projected finish time so the fast runners aren't stuck behind the walkers/woggers. However, you have to show proof of time from a previous race (10K or longer) to get moved up out of the last corral. I'm going to try to get a 10K time that I can use for proof of time next year so I can move up at least one corral.

Regarding the peeing aspect. I think I stopped 5 times during the race itself (not counting the two times before we even started.) I was a bit overhydrated on race day There are port a potties all along the way, but there are lines for them so it affects your time. For me that is just part of racing! When it's hotter I don't have to stop as much. I guess because I sweat it out. Hopefully next year will be a bit warmer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefy View Post
Aww thanx They have quite a few matches coming up, Premier League and all, but at least we are at the top

Gosh thats alot of people for that early in the morning I salute you both.

I love how Mickey and the gang cheered you on as you went by the start, awesome

Looking forward to reading more about the race
There are over 20,000 people that do this race. It's huge! Lots of insane people out here I love Mickey and the gang at the start too. They look so cute in their workout outfits Don't worry there are more characters to come. That is the best thing about Disney races!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneylovin24 View Post
Snow on marathon day

I'm very intrested in reading the marathon, I have always wondered how disney does a marathone

I can't believe it took that long to reach the start line
I explained the start a bit up above, but it does take a while. That is just a lot of people to move. You may hear more about this race than you ever wanted to know. I'm planning on dragging it out

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: