Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2010, 07:06 PM   #136
Happy Elf
DIS Veteran

Great update! I would have stopped for the prince too!

Our July 2011 TR: Surf, Sun, and Big Family FUN! Our July 2011 PTR: Big Family Fun...Hopefully!
Our 2009 PTR: Twice the Excitement, Twice the Fun Our 2009 TR:Plans Change with a 4 year old!

Honeymoon-Yacht Club July 2001 All Star Movies July 2003 Hannah's First Trip-All Star Movies September 2006 Owen's First Trip-Pop Century June 2009 Our 10 year Anniversary - Caribbean Beach July 2011
Old 01-25-2010, 09:59 PM   #137
Dolce27
It's kind of hard to ride with someone when your on vacation by yourself
I knew that impulsive decision would come back to haunt me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismagiclover View Post
As we came out the other side we hammed it up a bit for the course photographers.

I love this pic! You guys are too cute! - esp Liz! But... I don't think the man behind you is "hamming" it up. It's part of what makes this photo so great - you and Liz cheesing it for the camera and the poor guy so clueless, just begging to get to the Finish Line.

The posed photo of the two of you in front of the castle is really good. I didn't think they had done it for the full-marathon after hearing about these photos from people that ran the 1/2 .... then I just received a couple of pic's in the mail that I ordered. One was my castle pic and I can see what appears to be a line off to the right of the picture that must have been a line for a posed pic.

I didn't stop for any photos this year but next year I would like to stop for Alice and the Mad Hatter (she wasn't out with him when I ran by during the full) and the Wicked Stepmother and Sisters who were standing pretty much where you stopped for the Prince and Fairy Godmother. I'd like pic's with them...

I think that's my list.

Quote:
Liz snapped of shot of Liberty Tree Tavern where we planned on having lunch.

Too funny that you managed to snap a pic of Sandy by taking that photo.
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2010, 10:04 PM   #138
dismagiclover
Mrs. Darling: Mom to Wendy, John & Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by carissanboys View Post
Love all of the pictures with the characters, but the one with the prince and the look on your face is priceless!!! Love it!!

I just noticed Liz was wearing a running skirt, too. Do you guys normally wear them without the "tights" when it's hot or are they to keep people from staring at your bottom??
We wear them without tights normally. When I train in cold here I usually just wear the running tights, but I didn't want my pictures with just the running tights. That might have been too scary

Quote:
Originally Posted by mla1977 View Post
OMG! I was about a minute ahead of you at this point. I only stopped for the pictures at the bottom of the ramp though. You guys still finished faster than me.
Wow you are close. Look for yourself in my pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefy View Post
Oh wow, awesome post. Loving all the pics and look your very own fanfare of trumpets were playing to cheer you on and your Prince too
All the details and the characters are really what make Disney races so great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAFan0829 View Post
Hi, Jenny! I just stumbled upon your TR, and am love, love, loving it! It's so cool to read about your adventures during the race, as I'm planning to run the Princess 1/2 in March! I love that you look like you're having such a great time! I only hope that my run is as fun as yours looks!
You will have so much fun in March! And I'd say chances are 100% that you will have better weather! Good luck in training and at the race!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneylovin24 View Post
What scenary
That's the reason I love Disney races.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:15 PM   #139
dismagiclover

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcielm View Post
I am loving your TR!! I am thinking about doing the Princess Half in 2011, and this is just what I needed for motivation. I can't wait to hear about the end of the race!
I say definitely make the Princess a goal! It is a great motivator to have a Disney race to train for. And race day makes all of the training worth it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Elf View Post
Great update! I would have stopped for the prince too!
Couldn't pass up the prince and in the next update we get someone even better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolce27 View Post
I love this pic! You guys are too cute! - esp Liz! But... I don't think the man behind you is "hamming" it up. It's part of what makes this photo so great - you and Liz cheesing it for the camera and the poor guy so clueless, just begging to get to the Finish Line.Liz is funny doing a little jump for joy or something That man behind us really does look like he is having a tough time and we're not even half way there plus we are in the most inspiring part of the race. I hope he finished.

The posed photo of the two of you in front of the castle is really good. I didn't think they had done it for the full-marathon after hearing about these photos from people that ran the 1/2 .... then I just received a couple of pic's in the mail that I ordered. One was my castle pic and I can see what appears to be a line off to the right of the picture that must have been a line for a posed pic. The line was off of the course. I think it was Liz that noticed it. We only had to wait half a minute or so. It wasn't too bad

I didn't stop for any photos this year but next year I would like to stop for Alice and the Mad Hatter (she wasn't out with him when I ran by during the full) and the Wicked Stepmother and Sisters who were standing pretty much where you stopped for the Prince and Fairy Godmother. I'd like pic's with them...I think they do different characters each year and the characters rotate around. So you never know for sure who is going to be where. Gives you a reason to come back next year

I think that's my list.

Too funny that you managed to snap a pic of Sandy by taking that photo.
And we didn't even know it was her yet. We figure out who she is next mile.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:03 AM   #140
mla1977
I dream of living in Bay Lake Tower for the rest of my life!

I've checking my pictures since you probably passed me at some point, but I haven't found you yet!
Old 01-26-2010, 10:55 AM   #141
mtnmomma3
Earning My Ears

So enjoying your report I am running the princess half - coming up soon! It has been nice to have some images to put in my head while I run. Also a cold weather runner.. live in the Blue Ridge Mountains... hoping for a warm, sunny March morning!

Can I ask a couple of quick questions since you are a Disney race veteran now?!?!
- Also will be stuck in Corral G for the start but am aiming for about a 9 minute mile, will I ever be able to break from the "G pack"?
- My family (Hubby, grandma, DD3 and twinDD 6 months) will be at the BLT.. do you think that is their best bet for waving to mommy? Would they be able to catch me in the park too after that? Can't really envision how long it takes!

Thanks so much! Can't wait to hear about the finish!!
Erin
Old 01-26-2010, 11:59 AM   #142
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

I just remembered another question I had. What kind of race do you have to have to show proof of time? I'm assuming a 5K won't cut it for the half marathon?

**NEW TR** S.O.C.K. and Stitch Return to the World with a Dog
Old 01-26-2010, 12:24 PM   #143
mtnmomma3
Earning My Ears

It has to be a 10K or greater for the half... which are hard to find in the winter time...
Old 01-26-2010, 01:08 PM   #144
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Great update!! Love all the pictures!! For being so cold, you guys look really happy!!!! Then again, if I got to stand next to the prince I would be feeling the same way!!!

Old 01-26-2010, 01:40 PM   #145
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmomma3 View Post
It has to be a 10K or greater for the half... which are hard to find in the winter time...
Thanks.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:54 PM   #146
dismagiclover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mla1977 View Post
I've checking my pictures since you probably passed me at some point, but I haven't found you yet!
There were lots of people there so chances aren't good that you saw me, but you never know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmomma3 View Post
So enjoying your report I am running the princess half - coming up soon! It has been nice to have some images to put in my head while I run. Also a cold weather runner.. live in the Blue Ridge Mountains... hoping for a warm, sunny March morning!

Can I ask a couple of quick questions since you are a Disney race veteran now?!?!
- Also will be stuck in Corral G for the start but am aiming for about a 9 minute mile, will I ever be able to break from the "G pack"?
- My family (Hubby, grandma, DD3 and twinDD 6 months) will be at the BLT.. do you think that is their best bet for waving to mommy? Would they be able to catch me in the park too after that? Can't really envision how long it takes!

Thanks so much! Can't wait to hear about the finish!!
Erin
Congrats on your upcoming Princess Half. That sounds like a really fun race. It will be slow going at first to break away from the G pack, but I'd think after a mile or two you should be able to. I'd just try to get as far up in the corral as you can. There are lots of walkers at the race and you'll have to weave around them. There are narrow stretches when you may have to slow your pace, but overall you should be able to maintain it ok after the first couple of miles. At 9 minute miles you'll be doing lots of passing which is always good for the ego

I think BLT would be a great spot for you to see your family. There aren't too many spectators so you would be sure to see them there. I don't think there is any way they could see you at BLT and the Magic Kingdom. There just wouldn't be enough time. To be honest I think BLT would be a better place because Main Street is really crowded and you may not even see them. After you passed them at BLT your family would have plenty of time to hop on the monorail and go to Epcot to see you at the finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carissanboys View Post
I just remembered another question I had. What kind of race do you have to have to show proof of time? I'm assuming a 5K won't cut it for the half marathon?
I see you already got your answer, but you need 10K or more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies1274 View Post
Great update!! Love all the pictures!! For being so cold, you guys look really happy!!!! Then again, if I got to stand next to the prince I would be feeling the same way!!!
It was cold, but it was still so much fun! Just wait to see who we meet next installment! That is coming right up.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:01 PM   #147
dismagiclover

Heroes

So as we passed Mile 6 Liz started talking about getting serious. I started nodding my head in agreement (though I wasn’t feeling it in my heart). We ran by the train and since we were trying to be serious we didn’t stop for a picture.

We continued into backstage and passed by a couple of floats. Again we were serious runners now so no stopping. And then we saw them.

Captain Jack and his pirate friends. It was over. All thoughts of serious running were long gone. We made sure there were still some folks behind us in the race.

We hopped in what was a fairly long line of sweaty women. For some reason there weren’t very many men in the line. Go figure. Look at these cute running skirts. I think I may get one for next year.

Liz and I immediately started discussing who got to stand by Jack. I knew I should cede the spot because I had claimed the Prince earlier. But come on. This was Captain Jack Sparrow and we all know that pirates trump princes any day of the week. Our diplomatic hero Liz suggested we each take a side. Why hadn’t I thought of that? So when our turn was over we ran to meet them. (Jack can get me running.) And we got this classic.

I do think Captain Jack liked me best, but something screwy is going on with Liz. What is that Pirate up to?

So after our Pirate encounter we had a new burst of energy and headed out. While still backstage we went through a water stop staffed with a great group of volunteers. At this point I have to give a huge shout out to all of the fabulous volunteers that staffed the race. The weather was miserable for us runners, but I’m sure it was doubly miserable for the volunteers. At least we were moving. A big enough thank you can not be said to all those that stood out in the wet, cold weather for hours so we could participate in this event. Those volunteers are heroes.

Speaking of heroes this is the point when one of my favorite moments of the race happened. We were running through the water stop and I looked to my right and noticed one of those really cute 19 year old sweet young things volunteering. You know who I’m talking about. That young, beautiful girl that looked adorable out there in the freezing cold and we all secretly dream that is what we were like in our other life. (Well at least I do.) We all have wanted to be that girl at one time or another. And I’m sure some of you either were or are still that girl. Anyway, that girl looks at me and yells, “Jenny you are my hero.” I don’t think I had a happier moment the entire race! Me the hero of that girl I always wanted to be. On one level I know she was just being nice and cheering us on. But I like the version where I am somebody’s hero. Just makes me feel good.

So after my hero moment I was actually with Liz that maybe we should get our behinds moving. So we headed out of the backstage area to a stretch of road and we were actually running. We were coming up on Mile 7 when we spotted a real hero. This is where we met Sandy. Now, we had passed her earlier in the race and then she had passed us during our Magic Kingdom dawdling. We had noted her WISH shirt. This time when we passed her I asked her screen name and we discovered it was Sandy who we “knew” from the Boards. We knew she’d been swept the year before and was out there trying again. We told her she was good on time and she was looking good too. Then we snapped a picture and wished her luck.

As we ran away Liz and I mentioned we really hoped she finished. Did she? She sure did. She has a great story as the last finisher to cross the line. The announcer called her name and the crowd gave her a standing ovation. She epitomizes the WISH motto Dead Last Finish is better than Did Not Finish is better than Did Not Start. It was truly courageous of her to get out there last year. It was even more courageous to come back this year after having been swept. And it was most courageous to keep on going even when she knew there was no one behind her. Sandy, you are my hero!
Old 01-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #148
Stefy
Fantasising of our next DCL & WDW Trip

OMG you met Captain Jack and Barbossa!!! How cool is that

Question, how nice of that girl to shout out that comment to you. How did she know your name though?

Well done Sandy

What does swept mean?
Old 01-26-2010, 03:02 PM   #149
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Great pics with pirates. Argh!

I agree. Sandy is awesome.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:57 PM   #150
Happy Elf
DIS Veteran

Great pics with the pirates! Arrr!

What a great hero moment! What a neat story about Sandy.

Our July 2011 TR: Surf, Sun, and Big Family FUN! Our July 2011 PTR: Big Family Fun...Hopefully!
Our 2009 PTR: Twice the Excitement, Twice the Fun Our 2009 TR:Plans Change with a 4 year old!

Honeymoon-Yacht Club July 2001 All Star Movies July 2003 Hannah's First Trip-All Star Movies September 2006 Owen's First Trip-Pop Century June 2009 Our 10 year Anniversary - Caribbean Beach July 2011

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: