Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2010, 12:52 PM   #16
DisneyDaddio
Ducketeer

Great TR and pics! I love seeing the resorts decked out for the holidays.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:46 PM   #17
pjstevens
Had our DFTW Vow Renewal on the Wonder for our 25th!
Now the proud grandparents of Isabella Grace

Our original plans for Friday afternoon/evening were to hit the WISH meet (our very first one), grab a bite to eat at POP and then make a stop at AK to have a quick drink with friends that were meeting at Boma for dinner.

A little back story here. Before buying DVC 1.5 years ago, POP was our favorite resort. We really could only justify staying at a value and we LOVED this one.

We arrived at the WISH meet seeing lots of DIS green.

We met up with a few people we already and also met some new online friends. One of the Diser’s had made nametags so you could put a face with a screen name. After a bit they took the ‘required’ photo of the WISH team. You can’t see me, but I’m in there. All the way in the back, lol.

After the meet broke up, we decided to get our ‘carbs’ here at the food court. I had the parmesan-crusted chicken, which honestly was to dry for me. Hubby had some pasta dish and I think Aubre had some ‘healthy’ thing.

After dinner we decided to head back to the BWV since we had to get all our race gear ready and hit the bed early. We didn’t make it to AK for drinks with friends, bummed, but I think I was more anxious over everything being ‘ready’ for the morning.

Our room looked like a bomb went off. There was so much ‘stuff’ everywhere. Aubre and I have used those timing tags, but still wanting to make sure they are on just right. Trying to decide which layer to pin my number too since I had no idea how what would be the final outcome for the weather in the am. Got all our gear ready and did a final check on the computer weather. It was calling for the VERY COLD with rain, sleet and snow! We left Delaware with warmer temps. It was crazy.

Soon it was lights out. I of course don’t fall asleep quickly so watched tv for some time and think by 11ish, I was finally starting to doze.

Up next, the Disney ½ Marathon!!!
Our First Trip HOME (May 09) DFTW VR (Sept 08) Christmas 2007 August 2007
Off-site 1992; off-site 1999 (w/o the kids) off-site 2000; All Star Movies 2005; Pop 2006; Pop Aug-2007; All Star Music suites Dec 2007; DFTW – DCL – Pop 2008; Pop – Jan 2009; AKV – May 2009; Grand Californian Aug 2009; BWV – Jan 2010; AKV Dec 2010; AKV – Jan 2011; Disney Dream/AKV Sep 2011; Dec 2011 AKV; Magic-Canada June 2012; Fantasy-Eastern Carribean December 2012; SSR August 2013; Wonder-Alaska June 2014
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2010, 06:58 PM   #18
pjstevens

We had the alarm set along with the wake up call for some ungodly hour. All I knew was we needed to be on the bus BEFORE 4am. Knowing we were going to be standing outside for a LONG time, we pushed it on the bus. Finally heading down to the bus around 3:30 am. We stood in the line at the BW with all the other runners waiting for the bus to come. IT was already so cold and some crazy runners had on SHORTS!!!! We had our multiple layers on and were still shivering.

A short time later the bus arrived and thankfully we made it on to that one. The bus dropped us off in the middle of the parking lot at Epcot. I guess I was thinking it would drop us off near the entrance to all the activity, lol. So we start our ‘warm up’ by walking and walking towards the area. We approach a guy who is welcoming everyone to Disney Alaska (thus the title to my TR).

We made our way to the welcome area. There were tents all around for dropping your gear bag. This was our first race doing this so we were a little unsure what we needed to do. We made our way into the tent (which was blocking some of the cold air) and found that it was quite easy to drop our bags and that they were safe and secure for us to pick up later.

After gear drop off was the infamous potty stops. I’ve done a ½ marathon before (but in slightly warmer weather) and would typically hit the potty a couple times to make sure I didn’t have to stop along the route. We waited and waited and waited to finally get a potty. I think some people were honestly just staying inside the port-a-potty to keep warm. It blocked the air on all side and had a roof over you. There were doors that were ‘occupied’ that never opened the entire time we were in the line.

So we finally make it to the front of the line and once in the potty you could HEAR the sleet! I could not believe we were in Florida. It was freezing, it was sleeting, it was crazy.

After we all used the potty it was time for the very long walk to the start area. I had heard this was a long walk, but honestly it really is a LONG walk and sucks that that is not included in your mileage for the day, lol. As we were walking along, passed some very old tram cars and very bright spot lights, you could see that it was actually snowing (and still sleeting).

We were in corral F, while Aubre was in C. We were meeting up with my friends son who was already waiting in the front on F for us. So we said goodbye to Aubre and wished her well and headed to our corral. As we work towards the front of the corral I notice that so many people had G’s on the bibs. I finally asked which corral were we in, you guessed it, We were in the wrong corral! So all the way to the back we went and out and up to the correct corral. We got into the F corral and worked our way up towards the front. Believe it or not, there was this big open area before this metal gate that separated the E corral from the F corral. We met up with our friend and all huddled and tried to stay warm. At this point, we had garbage bags over our clothes trying to stay dry and warm.

We heard the countdown and saw the fireworks as the further up corrals were starting! It was nice that they started each group with a bit of hype. Fireworks, music, Mickey and friends! It was awesome and I have NO photos at all of the event! (side note, this is why I’m shopping for a very small point and shoot to have for next year).

We crossed the start line about 25 minutes after the officially start. Just after crossing the start line, we lost our ‘trash bags’. Sometime between mile one and two I needed to shed my hoodie. I was too warm (believe that, lol). What I didn’t want to do though, was discard my gloves and I did just that. I left them in the front pocket of my hoddie. The sleet was actually stinking your eyes and face. We ran and walked for a long time, or what seemed like a long time, but honestly, it really did go by quickly. By the time we got to the Magic Kingdom it was light enough out, but still raining. I made sure we had our numbers showing and took off my hat so that we could hopefully get a good photo. Needless to say, NO photo at the castle! I was bummed when I saw all the pics and didn’t see one from there.

Running through the park was amazing. Seeing the characters was amazing. I just regret not taking the time to slow down and get photos. I’m going to do the ½ again next year just so I can ‘enjoy it’!

After leaving Magic Kingdom, the roadway we were on, we saw an ambulance take some one away. I was hoping it was nothing major. At that time, I checked my phone (had received some texts alerts) for Aubre’s timing. She was making good timing, but it appeared she was slowing down. Not knowing how here splits were in the Philly ½, I really wasn’t sure if this was normal for her or not. Typically she will run the entire time and not stop to walk at all.

As we neared Epcot, I saw my very dear friend and running partner, Cam, who took these two pics (the only photos I really have of the day).

You can tell Dale was a bit excited! This was his very first ½ (he’d only done 5k’s but trained really well for the ½).

We entered Epcot and all I could think was ‘we are almost done’!!!! Running up to and around the Christmas tree was wonderful. I was so glad it was still decorated. Finally we make our way back towards Spaceship Earth and out the side of Epcot and you see and hear the Gospel Choir! Oh my goodness, I had goose bumps, they were amazing and so uplifting, knowing the end was near.

Seeing the finish line got me all emotional. I couldn’t believe I was finally there. Dale and I crossed together and via the photos on the Disney site, you can tell how happy I am to have accomplished that!.

The person handing out the tyvek blanket was probably just about as important as the person handing out the Donald medals! I wanted to hug the guy who gave me my Donald! I couldn’t believe I finally had a Disney medal!

Up next, what happens after the race and WHERE IS AUBRE??!!
Off-site 1992; off-site 1999 (w/o the kids) off-site 2000; All Star Movies 2005; Pop 2006; Pop Aug-2007; All Star Music suites Dec 2007; DFTW – DCL – Pop 2008; Pop – Jan 2009; AKV – May 2009; Grand Californian Aug 2009; BWV – Jan 2010; AKV Dec 2010; AKV – Jan 2011; Disney Dream/AKV Sep 2011; Dec 2011 AKV; Magic-Canada June 2012; Fantasy-Eastern Carribean December 2012; SSR August 2013; Wonder-Alaska June 2014
Old 02-16-2010, 11:07 PM   #19
mymainmouse
Mouseketeer

I can't believe how cold and rainy it looks. It looks like a cold rainy November day in Ohio. Not what I expect from my beloved Disney World!
You guys are amazing! Great job!
Old 02-17-2010, 07:54 AM   #20
dismagiclover
Mrs. Darling: Mom to Wendy, John & Michael

Great job! Races at Disney are like no other. You definitely have to take a camera and take pictures next year. If you haven't yet check out my trip report which has tons of pictures. I saw the characters as a great excuse to take a little break The weather that day was something else. I hope I never again experience race weather like that
Old 02-17-2010, 10:02 AM   #21
pjstevens

photos!!!

photos 'borrowed' from Disney until I break down and actually order some.

This was before the official start. We were with Andrew (my friends son) and Kelly (a family friend of theirs)

Aubre at her start area

One of the 'official photo areas' along the way

Aubre at that same point (notice it's a LOT darker, lol).

Aubre crossing the finish line. You cannot tell how much pain she truly was in.

Just a little excited to cross the finish line

Old 02-17-2010, 10:05 AM   #22
pjstevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymainmouse View Post
I can't believe how cold and rainy it looks. It looks like a cold rainy November day in Ohio. Not what I expect from my beloved Disney World!
You guys are amazing! Great job!
Kelly, I never in my life expected that weather at Disney. But, unfortunately, I have a bad reputation for distance races. It has been cold and rainy for every single one!!! Hoping to break that this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismagiclover View Post
Great job! Races at Disney are like no other. You definitely have to take a camera and take pictures next year. If you haven't yet check out my trip report which has tons of pictures. I saw the characters as a great excuse to take a little break The weather that day was something else. I hope I never again experience race weather like that
Jenny, I am working on catching up on your TR. I LOVE all your photos and more reason why I have to have a camera next time. I loved your photos of 'leaving' your hubbys jacket, lol.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:08 PM   #23
pjstevens

After Dale and I got our Tyvek blankets and medals we followed the masses of people. I stepped aside a short distance ahead to check my cell to find out where Aubre was since she had to have finished about an hour before us. Got a text message from Aubre that read…

“When u guys finish I’m in the med tent for knee and can’t stop shivering”

We were right beside the medical area at that time. So we go up and mention that our daughter was inside (or at least we thought she was). Someone went in and checked and came back out and said that yes, indeed, she was inside, but only ONE of us could go in. Mind you, I understand this, as there was not a lot of room inside the tent. I went in first as hubby walked around to try to keep warm (it was STILL raining).

There were cots set up all over and various areas of treatment. Aubre was being treated for hypothermia and bad knee pain. She was so cold (more so than most normal people after the race). They kept loading her up with heated blankets and extra layers.

While I was in with Aubre, Dale found out that he couldn’t leave the immediate area where the med tent was because they wouldn’t let him back into that area (not sure what that was about).

After a while, I went outside so Dale could come in with Aubre. It was so very cold out now. The adrenaline rush from the race was over and I was feeling every rain drop and the cold temps. While waiting outside, I watched a group of three men go in ‘looking for their friend’!!! ALL THREE OF THEM! I’m standing out here freezing while my daughter is in there and only ONE of us could be with her.

Dale and I switched again. As they got Aubre stabilized they got her up and walking around. A short time later (an hour or so later) the ‘discharged’ her. What I did not realize at that moment was this was only the beginning of a very LONG journey back to our room.

After leaving the medical tent, we had to go retrieve our gear bags. The one good thing about it being a little later was there was no real line at that time and it was easy for them to find our bags. The only bad thing was that there was only ONE person with the cutter tool to remove the strap that tied your bag closed! This was wrong!!!

Following getting our bag, we head to the snack tent (this may have occurred before the gear tent, my mind is foggy now) to get something to eat. Mind you we ate breakfast around 3am and it was now 10:00 or later and we had burned more than 1000 calories. Got a couple snacks and could not believe what they had to drink, COLD COKE!!!! It’s freezing out there, you think they could have had something warmer, lol.

As soon as we got our snack it was time to figure out how to get back to our resort. There were people just milling about and no real idea ‘where’ we were supposed to go. We then realize there is this very LONG line of people. We look around, thinking, this cannot possibly be where we are supposed to be! OH NO, IT IS! Oh my goodness, you just sent my freezing daughter out to stand in the cold for what seemed like forever to wait for a bus to our resort.

While we waited in this bus, I then found out that Aubre had also been sick throughout the race. She must of picked up a stomach bug (as I have heard many others did while at Disney then). My poor kid. I felt so bad for her.

The bus line moved forward and we looped back and forth across the entire area waiting to get to the front. ONE LINE for all the different busses, something just seemed wrong with this. As we finally get towards the ‘gate’ which was close to the busses, we find a gentleman asking which resort and directing you to that bus. The really LONG line was for the value resorts! Never have I been so happy to have DVC than at that moment. We were instructed to keep walking (around the back of the tents) to more busses. We finally see the sign for BW (and other Epcot resorts) and there is ONE person in line!!! Woohoo!!!

In no time our bus was there and we were finally out of the cold air and sitting in some nice warm bus!

Up next, we arrive back to the BWV and find the showers are NOT HOT!!!
Old 02-18-2010, 09:09 PM   #24
mymainmouse
Mouseketeer

Oh no! Poor Aubre! It made me cold just reading about it. Poor thing!
The long bus lines are about the only thing that bothers me at WDW. I am glad the one for your resort was short. It would have been nice if they would have given you a ride back to your resort since Aubre was sick.
I hope things got better after that.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:22 PM   #25
dismagiclover
Mrs. Darling: Mom to Wendy, John & Michael

Oh poor Aubre! She sounds like one tough cookie though because she finished the race. That post race was not fun. It was just so cold! We were lucky enough to be on the monorail, but it was still a cold walk back to the monorail. I really hope they do something different next year. (Well mostly I hope it's not so cold.)
Old 02-20-2010, 12:36 AM   #26
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

great report and pics.

congrats on the doing the marathon. that weather is crazy. the new room is great.

looking forward to reading more.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:37 PM   #27
reyasmommy
DIS Veteran

Congrats on finishing the marathon.... your poor daughter, I feel so bad for her. What a trooper though.

I'm looking forward to reading more.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:48 PM   #28
DisneyDaddio
Ducketeer

Nothing like crazy weather to add further challenge tot he race, eh? Congrats on making it all the way.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:31 PM   #29
MHTeacher
DIS Veteran

I just stumbled upon your TR and being intrigued by your trip title , came over to read.

CONGRATS on finishing the Disney half-marathon (?it was 1/2 wasn't it?) I am a beginning runner, and would love to run the disney marathon next January. How long did you train for this, and had you already run other 1/2s ?Sorry for so many questions.

Hold my umbrella while I find your poncho-May 2012 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...64&postcount=1
Disney Dining, DIS Meets, and WAIT-Why is that lady holding onto my husband?May,2010 TR http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...45&postcount=1
DON'T CRY OR WE'LL RIDE DINOSAUR AGAIN! March, 2010 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post35995716
A 16th Birthday/New Years Celebration(with 75000 of our closest friends) Dec. 2009 TR-http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=34927152

All Star Sports 2001 Coronado Springs 2003 Wilderness Lodge 2005 Polynesian 2007 POR- 2007 POR 2008 Polynesian 2009 Yacht Club 2009 POR 2010 Beach Club 2010 Polynesian 2012 POP 2013
Old 03-03-2010, 05:14 PM   #30
pjstevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymainmouse View Post
Oh no! Poor Aubre! It made me cold just reading about it. Poor thing!
The long bus lines are about the only thing that bothers me at WDW. I am glad the one for your resort was short. It would have been nice if they would have given you a ride back to your resort since Aubre was sick.
I hope things got better after that.
Kelly, as bad as it sounds, it must not of been too bad, cause we are going to do it again next year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismagiclover View Post
Oh poor Aubre! She sounds like one tough cookie though because she finished the race. That post race was not fun. It was just so cold! We were lucky enough to be on the monorail, but it was still a cold walk back to the monorail. I really hope they do something different next year. (Well mostly I hope it's not so cold.)
Jenny, she is a strong young lady! I just hope next year is a bit warmer. Honestly the cold was bad, but the sleet made it so much harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
great report and pics.

congrats on the doing the marathon. that weather is crazy. the new room is great.

looking forward to reading more.
Thanks for coming by Scott. Now I need to work on finishing this up, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyasmommy View Post
Congrats on finishing the marathon.... your poor daughter, I feel so bad for her. What a trooper though.

I'm looking forward to reading more.
Thanks Deanna and congratulations on your with your newest addition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDaddio View Post
Nothing like crazy weather to add further challenge tot he race, eh? Congrats on making it all the way.
As cold and yucky as it was, Disney made it not that bad but keeping you entertained along the route!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: