Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
Crystal_27
DIS Veteran

Shula's child offerings?

I read on Allears that Shula's does not offer a child's menu and that there is a $10 charge for sharing plates. What do people usually do here when they dine with children? My thought was to get my DD the shrimp appetizer and a side or two, and then let her eat some of my steak if she still was hungry. However, in letting her share my steak, would I then be subject to the $10 charge? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you much!

Me (34); DD (9)
December, 2007 Land/Sea Trip Report
9 Days of Disney Dining (Food Report)
March, 2009 Trip Report
September, 2009 Eastern Cruise Trip Report

Next trips: Aulani in September, 2014 and Thanksgiving, 2014 on the Magic (YAY).
Crystal_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #2
Pygoplites
Mouseketeer

Shula's dinner menu on the Dolphin Hotel website does indicate that "a children's menu is available upon request." You may want to contact them to confirm selections and prices.
Pygoplites is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2010, 02:08 PM   #3
Missytara
I'm all ears!

You can request a children's menu at the Dolphin. I stayed there one year and it was written at the bottom of the menu.

Also, if you order something for her; even if it is an appetizer and a few sides, and then you share a few bites of her steak with her, you will not be subject to the plate fee.

The plate fee is only if you request to get say a 20 oz. steak with all the sides, and then split it with someone. They are essentially giving you a huge (and I mean huge) meal and splitting onto two plates.

Some restaurants will only charge you like a dollar or so, like Rainforest Cafe - but it is more at Shula's, since they are high-end.

Also, they do have a dress code of business casual......

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
Crystal_27
DIS Veteran

Awww, thanks so much you guys! My DD is a great eater so I know that she would be disappointed to miss Shula's (although, we're going to be hard pressed to convince her to get the shrimp instead of the $40 lobster tail).

Me (34); DD (9)
March, 2009 Trip Report

Next trips: Aulani in September, 2014 and Thanksgiving, 2014 on the Magic (YAY).
Old 01-13-2010, 02:41 PM   #5
robinb
DIS Veteran

My suggestion is to not even bring her to Shula's. I saw kids there once and they looked completely miserable. It's dark and boring for a 5-year old. It's so dark that they bring you a flashlight so you can read the menu! It's too dark to draw/color and the glare of any kind of electronic game would be disturbing to other diners.

The Dolphin Club used to provide 2 hours of FREE childcare while parents dine at Shula's. My DD loved the Dolphin Club when she was 5. If you get here there in time, they will bring them to the ice cream restaurant (can't remember the name right now!) for a free dinner. Back in the club they played games, had their faces painted and ended up in the arcade with free tokens. They give you a pager so they can contact you in case of emergency.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:57 PM   #6
Art 1
DIS Veteran

Shula's is not really a place for a child.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:17 PM   #7
Crystal_27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
My suggestion is to not even bring her to Shula's. I saw kids there once and they looked completely miserable. It's dark and boring for a 5-year old. It's so dark that they bring you a flashlight so you can read the menu! It's too dark to draw/color and the glare of any kind of electronic game would be disturbing to other diners.

The Dolphin Club used to provide 2 hours of FREE childcare while parents dine at Shula's. My DD loved the Dolphin Club when she was 5. If you get here there in time, they will bring them to the ice cream restaurant (can't remember the name right now!) for a free dinner. Back in the club they played games, had their faces painted and ended up in the arcade with free tokens. They give you a pager so they can contact you in case of emergency.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
Hmmmm, will defintely keep that in mind too. Thank you both!

Me (34); DD (9)
March, 2009 Trip Report

Old 01-13-2010, 04:27 PM   #8
Carol17
Mouseketeer

We ate at Shula's last week.I had to laugh about the comment on the dress code of business casual(which is true). We dressed well, but everyone around us was in jeans, and even a guy in shorts(during Florida's record breaking cold snap I might add!) Yes, it is very dark in there. We really enjoyed the evening. Food was great(yet expensive), large portions, the side dishes are big enough for two at least. The one silly thing was that they put the menu on a full size football and place it on a stand on your place. It was ridiculous really. It cheapened the place. You still get a menu, though, and they come around and show you samples of the various cuts/sizes of meat. Very helpful in choosing what to get.
Yacht Club Trip Report 2009
January 2010-Birthday Trip-The Boardwalk Inn
Boardwalk Inn January 2010 Trip Report:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2512974
Carol17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:53 PM   #9
Pygoplites
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol17 View Post
We ate at Shula's last week.I had to laugh about the comment on the dress code of business casual(which is true). We dressed well, but everyone around us was in jeans, and even a guy in shorts(during Florida's record breaking cold snap I might add!) Yes, it is very dark in there. We really enjoyed the evening. Food was great(yet expensive), large portions, the side dishes are big enough for two at least. The one silly thing was that they put the menu on a full size football and place it on a stand on your place. It was ridiculous really. It cheapened the place. You still get a menu, though, and they come around and show you samples of the various cuts/sizes of meat. Very helpful in choosing what to get.
Yeah, the football shtick is really goofy. Everything else is "classic steakhouse" and a football menu just seems out-of-place. Not a deal-breaker, but certainly incongruous with the overall ambiance.
Pygoplites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #10
TheRustyScupper
Seeing isn't Believing. Believing is Seeing.

Quote:
1) Agreed.
2) The kid's menu is just smaller portions.
3) Do not expect mac-n-cheese.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:15 PM   #11
brergnat
DIS Veteran

Bluezoo and Shula's don't want kids in the dining room. That's why you get 2 hrs free child care at the Dolphin Club. It's their "nice" way of saying that.

If you want to take your child to a more accommodating steak house, try Yachtsman at the YC. Since it is Disney owned, they expect kids, and provide a kid's menu.

While I'm sure your daughter is well behaved and seems to be quite the foodie, Shula's is really an adult atmosphere.
brergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #12
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

It's not V&A - they don't ban children under 10. There is nothing to prevent parents from bringing their young children if they wish. Sounds like both even offer a child's menu, even if it's just smaller portions and no nuggets or mac and cheese. Some parents (and kids) probably actually welcome that.

I don't do Shula's but I've gone to Bluezoo on several occasions when the dining room was full of kids. So the free childcare thing doesn't always work.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:37 PM   #13
waltskids
Disney Fans

Quote:
I agree I love having my children try new places, but this is a restaurant geared toward adults.
waltskids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:41 PM   #14
waltskids
Disney Fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
It's not V&A - they don't ban children under 10. There is nothing to prevent parents from bringing their young children if they wish. Sounds like both even offer a child's menu, even if it's just smaller portions and no nuggets or mac and cheese. Some parents (and kids) probably actually welcome that.

I don't do Shula's but I've gone to Bluezoo on several occasions when the dining room was full of kids. So the free childcare thing doesn't always work.
Wow, that is very surprising! We have dined at Bluezoo a few times before (child free) and have only ever seen one child there, about 10 or 11 years old. I guess it all depends on the time of year you visit. All of our visits there have been during the summer. That is another restaurant I believe is more for adults than young children. There are so many other WDW owned yummy restaurants to try, we like to leave something for the adult travelers to enjoy...which includes us when we can get babysitting
waltskids is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: