Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2010, 11:52 PM   #1
burnsoc
Do you have your exit buddy?

Child car seat question

Hi,
We're flying to WDW next week and renting a car from the airport. We have three kids who need seats. Our infant will be in one of those airline/car/stroller seats okayed by the FAA. Our oldest only needs the booster(I'll carry that). However our 2 YO will need a seat. We're using DME for our luggage, so I'd rather avoid picking up a seat from baggage. However, it's also killing me to pay $50 to rent a seat from the rental car company. Has anybody been in a similar situation? I'll probably rent one, but just thought I'd ask fellow dis'ers if they've found a way to avoid renting. Do they let you gate check a car seat? TIA
Old 01-13-2010, 06:45 AM   #2
Kies99
I Can has Cheezburger???

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsoc View Post
Hi,
We're flying to WDW next week and renting a car from the airport. We have three kids who need seats. Our infant will be in one of those airline/car/stroller seats okayed by the FAA. Our oldest only needs the booster(I'll carry that). However our 2 YO will need a seat. We're using DME for our luggage, so I'd rather avoid picking up a seat from baggage. However, it's also killing me to pay $50 to rent a seat from the rental car company. Has anybody been in a similar situation? I'll probably rent one, but just thought I'd ask fellow dis'ers if they've found a way to avoid renting. Do they let you gate check a car seat? TIA
Just check the extra seat as normal luggage and pick it up at the airport. Don't bother with having DME get it. We always put ours in a strong, plastic garbage bag and tied it up with a tag on it and never had an issue. Not sure if you can gate check it unless it doubles as a stroller.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, bacon in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO what a ride!"

Some people are like slinkies, they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!

Kies99 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2010, 07:00 AM   #3
kim_o
Mouseketeer

Doesn't the 2 year old have a seat on the plane? Why wouldn't you just bring the seat on the plane for the 2 year old to sit in?

kim_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:25 AM   #4
burnsoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim_o View Post
Doesn't the 2 year old have a seat on the plane? Why wouldn't you just bring the seat on the plane for the 2 year old to sit in?
A regular car seat is not allowed to be used on a plane. Only special FAA approved seats.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:30 AM   #5
ntink
DIS Veteran

Many regular car seats are FAA approved, just check for the sticker on the seat or check the car seat's manual. Also, if you are renting a car, why do you need DME? Will they take your luggage without also taking you?
9/99 Wilderness Lodge; 1/00 Coronado Springs
9/00 Shades of Green; 10/02 Polynesian Con
3/04 Wilderness Lodge; 8/05 Shades of Green
3/06 Port Orleans R; 8/06 Animal Kingdom Lodge
3/07 Girls only @ Swan; 11/07 Beach Club
5/08 DH & I alone @ Dolphin; 7/10 Disneyland Paris
4/11 Boardwalk Villas; 3/13 Beach Club Villas
7/14 Coronado Springs
ntink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:46 AM   #6
peemagg
We are doing the AKL tri-fecta
You will find us wrapped up in them at night and on the weekends

Booster seats that don't have harnasses are the ones that are not FAA approved. If your kids do not need the seats on the plane, I would do as someone suggested and check your carseats at the ticket counter. I would be sure to put them in something to keep them clean and in good shape.
peemagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:48 AM   #7
Cedarmom
Mouseketeer

Depending on what you are calling a regular car seat, it is mostly likely FAA approved. Can I ask what seat you have? We can probably tell you if it is or isn't. Just about the only seat that isn't FAA approved is a Britax Regent. Just about anything else bought in the US (I can't think of an exception but there might be another I'm blanking on) will be FAA approved as long as it is used in 'harness' mode (as opposed to as a booster--some seats do both).

Since you have to buy a seat for the 2 yo anyway, just put him in his car seat. He'll be happier and safer on the plane!
Old 01-13-2010, 08:25 AM   #8
Disney_Dizzy
Fan of all things Disney!

Car Seats

Hi,

We are also renting a car in March and have a similar situtaion. Would like to see replies.

Thanks!
Disney_Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:39 AM   #9
aanderson5
DIS Veteran

We rented a car seat for DS(3.5 at the time) in Aug. The first seat they brought us had a cut in one of the straps over half way through. They gave me another seat but I never felt 100% comfortable. I don't know how people treat the seats or if they have been in an accident.

We are going next week. DS(4) is still in a full car seat due to the fact that he is still too light for a booster. We are bringing our own seat. We will put him in it on the plane. He is comfortable in it and we feel safer knowing it is his seat. Plus we are used to installing his seat. The car company will not help you put in the seat - liability reasons.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:27 PM   #10
burnsoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntink View Post
Many regular car seats are FAA approved, just check for the sticker on the seat or check the car seat's manual. Also, if you are renting a car, why do you need DME? Will they take your luggage without also taking you?
Yes, You put the DME luggage tags on at home and once you check the bags at the airport, you don't see your bags again until they arrive at your hotel room. You don't have to take the bus. Thanks for the advice about the car seat, however our 2 yo will be in the stroller/car seat for our flight and our 7 month old will be on our laps. So we still need one more seat for the rental car. I was hoping to avoid baggage claim as all our bags will go straight to the resort, but it looks like I'll just check our car seat.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:41 PM   #11
hedgehog2owl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedarmom View Post
Depending on what you are calling a regular car seat, it is mostly likely FAA approved. Can I ask what seat you have? We can probably tell you if it is or isn't. Just about the only seat that isn't FAA approved is a Britax Regent. Just about anything else bought in the US (I can't think of an exception but there might be another I'm blanking on) will be FAA approved as long as it is used in 'harness' mode (as opposed to as a booster--some seats do both).

Since you have to buy a seat for the 2 yo anyway, just put him in his car seat. He'll be happier and safer on the plane!

yep.
Just put him in the seat you own for him. Check on the side. It is probably approved.

AND he'll be more comfortable in the airplane seat with it than with out.

We took our car seat for my daughter on all our flights until she was five. That's when she could comfortably sit in an airline seat. She is very small though, she is the size of a 3 year old right now. But I would think most 2 year olds would like being in their seat better.

B, M, C
hedgehog2owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:59 PM   #12
msmama
DIS Veteran

Do you have a bucket seat for the baby?

You could gate check that and then keep the 2 year old in the stroller seat for both the flight and in the car.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:07 PM   #13
stinkerbellsmommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Yes, You put the DME luggage tags on at home and once you check the bags at the airport, you don't see your bags again until they arrive at your hotel room. You don't have to take the bus. Thanks for the advice about the car seat, however our 2 yo will be in the stroller/car seat for our flight and our 7 month old will be on our laps. So we still need one more seat for the rental car. I was hoping to avoid baggage claim as all our bags will go straight to the resort, but it looks like I'll just check our car seat.
I was curious about this thread too, but we already decided just to stick with ME and not bring a car seat for DD2. However, when I asked about basically luggage only service, and not having passengers ride on ME, I was told this wasn't possible. I don't know if this has changed recently, and I guess there's no "REAL" way for them to enforce whose lugagge gets on the ME

Feeding the Disney addiction with DH:

September 2003 - offsite Disneyland. July 2004 - BW in Lake Buena Vista. December 2005 - Poly & Wonder ( ). April 2009 - Wilderness Lodge. January 2010 - Wilderness Lodge - DD's . January 2011 - Wilderness Lodge - DD's
March 2012 - back to the Poly - Hubs' August 2012 - offsite Disneyland
stinkerbellsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:49 PM   #14
kim_o
Mouseketeer

Quote:
A regular car seat is not allowed to be used on a plane. Only special FAA approved seats.
Most regular car seats are allowed on planes. At two, your child should still be in a regular harnessed car seat, and unless it's a Britax regent, you'll be able to take it on the plane. The slight extra hassle it will be to get through the airport (just get a wheeled bag to put it in - they sell at babies ru us and it makes carrying through the airport really easy), is totally worth it on the plane. The 2 yo will be in his own seat and comfortable - making for a better flying experience for you.

kim_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:57 PM   #15
Mommy2LittleVols
DIS Veteran

I think what you were asking is whether the airline will allow you to just gate check an extra carseat, and the answer is - in most cases, YES! You should be able to gate check it right before you board and they will give it to you when you land. That way you won't have to fool with baggage claim. I would definitely double check with your airline before you go, though.
Mommy2LittleVols is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: