Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2010, 10:38 AM   #91
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by insoin View Post
We should all have a DIS C25K team meet the Half weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPan09 View Post
I'd be ready to meet up with anyone whenever!

**NEW TR** S.O.C.K. and Stitch Return to the World with a Dog
carissanboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:17 AM   #92
IWISHFORDISNEY
Cant get enough of the mouse!
It was tricky with only one bathroom
I will never ever forget that embarrassing episode of being farted upon

Location: The First State but wishing it was the Sunshine State...

W1D2 I actually had a bit of an easier time today. Whew I was scared but I figured out how to modify for me. I just extend the recoup time. The one min is ok for me the recoup just takes me more like 2 min not 1 1/2 so def adjust and dont give up figure out what works for you.

Register to remove

Old 01-27-2010, 07:08 PM   #93
ZOOMAMA
"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford

Hola y'all! Sounds like everyone is hanging in there. I just completed W8D3! My running partner and I have actually hit the W9 30 minute mark but we are still doing the final week, so that we can say we "graduated" from the program. We are a bit slow though, we haven't hit 3 miles yet, but we are getting there. Next month I'm running the Komen
5K so after W9 I am going to run 3 miles each run. Then I'd like to concentrate on improving my pace. I was much faster 10 yrs and 30 lbs ago when I was in the military! I gotta tell ya- it feels great to reach this point! In the beginning, D2 of each week seemed to break me down. I would either struggle after a couple of intervals or during the walk breaks it seemed as though I was going the same pace as the run just without all the panting exertion. I didn't do it all in 9 weeks straight, I have had some detours and repeats but (much to my delighted surprise!) I have stayed with it and it works! I am cheering for all of you!

Tess
ZOOMAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:12 PM   #94
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOMAMA View Post
Hola y'all! Sounds like everyone is hanging in there. I just completed W8D3! My running partner and I have actually hit the W9 30 minute mark but we are still doing the final week, so that we can say we "graduated" from the program. We are a bit slow though, we haven't hit 3 miles yet, but we are getting there. Next month I'm running the Komen
5K so after W9 I am going to run 3 miles each run. Then I'd like to concentrate on improving my pace. I was much faster 10 yrs and 30 lbs ago when I was in the military! I gotta tell ya- it feels great to reach this point! In the beginning, D2 of each week seemed to break me down. I would either struggle after a couple of intervals or during the walk breaks it seemed as though I was going the same pace as the run just without all the panting exertion. I didn't do it all in 9 weeks straight, I have had some detours and repeats but (much to my delighted surprise!) I have stayed with it and it works! I am cheering for all of you!
WTG Tess!

Old 01-27-2010, 11:27 PM   #95
tinachris
Earning My Ears

I'm taking the plunge too!

I've read up on the C25K last year, but didn't do anything about it. I am severly overweight (probably around 75-100 lbs), so I am trying to do something about it. I've had a gym membership since last fall, but didn't use it except for one time. This January, I decided that I am going to exercise and lose some weight. I began going to the gym about 4-5 times a week, primarily walking on the treadmill. I think I will probably repeat a lot of weeks. But I would love to run/walk the local 5K this summer.

I will be using the treadmill but will probably do some of it outside once the weather is nice....which seems like a long time away (I live in NW IL). Right now, I've been brisk walking comfortably at 2.7; and increase my pace to 3.0 which is walking fast for me. I will probably have my jog at 3.5 right now. We'll see...I'm going to play around with the speed tomorrow at the gym.

My plan is to begin on Feb. 2nd, as my days for the C25K will be Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. I will still go to the gym between them, probably doing weight and strength training or simple walking; as I am in the habit of going 5 days a week and have acutally begun looking forward to the gym.

I will try to post everyday that I do this, as it will help keep me accountable and motivate me to do it.
tinachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:19 AM   #96
engagedatWDW
One sweet world, around a star is spinning

Yesterday was my W1D2 of C25K and I was able to run all of the nine 60 sec intervals. D1 I struggled a bit through the last 4 min of running, but I was determined to push myself and I was able to complete it. Yesterday I did 30 min of yoga and after just a week and a half of "wogging" and yoga I've noticed I'm more flexible.

Does anyone use RunKeeper? I was using that last week before I downloaded the C25K app. I really liked the GPS features of RunKeeper, but with the iPhone I can't run both apps at the same time. Hmmm, now I'm thinking that I could download a C25K podcast instead and would be able to use the RunKeeper app at the same time...sometimes you just have to think out loud.
Nov/Dec '07 - WL, 1st Anniversary trip + MVMCP
Nov '06 - Pop + Poly (honeymoon), DFTW at the Wedding Pavilion
Nov '05 - AKL, engaged at Cinderella Castle

"To change the world, start with one step. However small, first step is hardest of all." - DMB
engagedatWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:27 AM   #97
engagedatWDW
One sweet world, around a star is spinning

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinachris View Post
I've read up on the C25K last year, but didn't do anything about it. I am severly overweight (probably around 75-100 lbs), so I am trying to do something about it. I've had a gym membership since last fall, but didn't use it except for one time. This January, I decided that I am going to exercise and lose some weight. I began going to the gym about 4-5 times a week, primarily walking on the treadmill. I think I will probably repeat a lot of weeks. But I would love to run/walk the local 5K this summer.

I will be using the treadmill but will probably do some of it outside once the weather is nice....which seems like a long time away (I live in NW IL). Right now, I've been brisk walking comfortably at 2.7; and increase my pace to 3.0 which is walking fast for me. I will probably have my jog at 3.5 right now. We'll see...I'm going to play around with the speed tomorrow at the gym.

My plan is to begin on Feb. 2nd, as my days for the C25K will be Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. I will still go to the gym between them, probably doing weight and strength training or simple walking; as I am in the habit of going 5 days a week and have acutally begun looking forward to the gym.

I will try to post everyday that I do this, as it will help keep me accountable and motivate me to do it.
I've started to look forward to my workout time too. Eventhough it's tough, I've been thinking of it as strictly "me" time which is rare with everything else I have going on. I work fulltime and go to school part time, plus normal life stuff like having 2 dogs and a husband and home to take care of. When I'm exercising I think, "hey, it's better than folding laundry!" I've got a lot of weight to lose as well, when it's all said and done I'd like to be 100 lbs lighter in 2 years to be at a healthy weight, but I'm sticking with short term goals now. Keep up the good work and good luck starting C25K.
Nov/Dec '07 - WL, 1st Anniversary trip + MVMCP
Nov '06 - Pop + Poly (honeymoon), DFTW at the Wedding Pavilion
Nov '05 - AKL, engaged at Cinderella Castle

"To change the world, start with one step. However small, first step is hardest of all." - DMB
engagedatWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:02 AM   #98
jennz
DIS Veteran

Quote:

You're speeds sound like mine...3 is a brisk walk for me too. I did try "jogging" on the treadmill the other day - I went at 4 and it was okay. I felt like I was flying! I also have 75 pounds left to lose.

DH, DD and I are all going to do the program together, we were supposed to start Monday but I've been feeling lousy and the weather is also snowy and icy. I think I'm going to stall them at least a week or 2 until the weather is nicer and start on my own on the treadmill - that way I can start over with them and be able to keep up!
Old 01-28-2010, 10:28 AM   #99
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sounds like you're off to a great start! You can do the 5K! I just started the program and before I even started I registered for the Disney half marathon next January. I've set this major goal for myself and I do not plan to let myself down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by engagedatWDW View Post
Yesterday was my W1D2 of C25K and I was able to run all of the nine 60 sec intervals. D1 I struggled a bit through the last 4 min of running, but I was determined to push myself and I was able to complete it. Yesterday I did 30 min of yoga and after just a week and a half of "wogging" and yoga I've noticed I'm more flexible.
Isn't it an awesome feeling afterwards to push yourself and know that you were able to do it?? I find it so empowering! Great job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennz View Post
DH, DD and I are all going to do the program together, we were supposed to start Monday but I've been feeling lousy and the weather is also snowy and icy. I think I'm going to stall them at least a week or 2 until the weather is nicer and start on my own on the treadmill - that way I can start over with them and be able to keep up!
Hello, my friend!

I think it's wonderful that you guys are doing this as a family! Not only will it be quality time together, but what a great lesson for your daughter to show the importance of getting fit and healthy.

As for me, I completed W2D1 today. I can't remember if I mentioned here that I would be sticking with week 1 again for this week, but I decided to at least try week 2. I won't lie - it wasn't easy. Those 2 minute brisk walks in between the runs went by so fast! And the final run was very difficult for me. But, I did it and that's what counts.

Onward and upward!

Old 01-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #100
ZOOMAMA
"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford

tinachris-
[QUOTE=carissanboys;35198138

Isn't it an awesome feeling afterwards to push yourself and know that you were able to do it?? I find it so empowering! Great job!

[/QUOTE]

It is a great feeling, especially when you are struggling (and it would be so much easier to quit) but you don't give up. When you dig deep and push through the discomfort and doubt, that is a gift to yourself. Yesterday I hiked a "canyon" in the Franklin Mtns with a group of ladies from my neighborhood. It is basically 2.6 miles up a whole lot of hills and back down again. My running partner and I have done it several times before and among the group of various ages, sizes and fitness levels, we are (haha) considered "the fit ones." I chose to walk beside the lady who was convinced she "couldn't do it, she was too fat, too old (maybe 35), has high blood pressure, plantar fasciitis, and oh Tess I know you want to power up the hill with so and so, go ahead and leave me here, I'll wait for you to come back down...on and on." Now I'm not a medical doctor but I decided that if she could talk non-stop about what she couldn't do, then she could go up and down that mountain with the rest of us! She may never speak to me again (I may have said "it's just one more hill" about 6 times!) but she went up and down that mountain. And in between the cursing, panting, and name blaming, there was a real sense of accomplishment and a sense of awe that she did something she really believed to be physically impossible for herself. We so often see people who are in shape and think either "I wish I could look like that (but I can't)" or "I hate them (just a little bit) because they look like that" but what we don't see is the effort they put into their fitness. I'm never going to be 6 minute-miler or run an ultramarathon but I am going to be fit. I'm going be proud of myself not only for my accomplishment but for putting in the hours and the miles that it takes to achieve it.

Tess
ZOOMAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:13 PM   #101
PeterPan09
bury my iPod with me, on shuffle, with headphones in my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by carissanboys View Post
:

That feeling is what keeps me going back to the treadmill! When I finish each day, I feel so good because I've done something that I didn't think I could do. Today's my off day, but I think I will try and get in a walk or a bike ride after work.
PeterPan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:29 PM   #102
jennz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carissanboys View Post

Hello, my friend!

I think it's wonderful that you guys are doing this as a family! Not only will it be quality time together, but what a great lesson for your daughter to show the importance of getting fit and healthy.
Thanks! Just posted over on your thread we keep "running" into each other (ha ha bad joke). I am VERY excited that my family is doing this with me! Sometimes I am stingy with my time and would rather be alone but overall I am glad we're all doing it. I want us all to be around for a long long time!
Old 01-28-2010, 01:57 PM   #103
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOMAMA View Post
It is a great feeling, especially when you are struggling (and it would be so much easier to quit) but you don't give up. When you dig deep and push through the discomfort and doubt, that is a gift to yourself. Yesterday I hiked a "canyon" in the Franklin Mtns with a group of ladies from my neighborhood. It is basically 2.6 miles up a whole lot of hills and back down again. My running partner and I have done it several times before and among the group of various ages, sizes and fitness levels, we are (haha) considered "the fit ones." I chose to walk beside the lady who was convinced she "couldn't do it, she was too fat, too old (maybe 35), has high blood pressure, plantar fasciitis, and oh Tess I know you want to power up the hill with so and so, go ahead and leave me here, I'll wait for you to come back down...on and on." Now I'm not a medical doctor but I decided that if she could talk non-stop about what she couldn't do, then she could go up and down that mountain with the rest of us! She may never speak to me again (I may have said "it's just one more hill" about 6 times!) but she went up and down that mountain. And in between the cursing, panting, and name blaming, there was a real sense of accomplishment and a sense of awe that she did something she really believed to be physically impossible for herself. We so often see people who are in shape and think either "I wish I could look like that (but I can't)" or "I hate them (just a little bit) because they look like that" but what we don't see is the effort they put into their fitness. I'm never going to be 6 minute-miler or run an ultramarathon but I am going to be fit. I'm going be proud of myself not only for my accomplishment but for putting in the hours and the miles that it takes to achieve it.
That's really cool. Great for you to be her cheerleader and coach and awesome that she was able to do it. And what you say is so true about looking at others who are fit. We all can get that way if we make the effort and convince our minds that our bodies can do the work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPan09 View Post
That feeling is what keeps me going back to the treadmill! When I finish each day, I feel so good because I've done something that I didn't think I could do. Today's my off day, but I think I will try and get in a walk or a bike ride after work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennz View Post
Thanks! Just posted over on your thread we keep "running" into each other (ha ha bad joke). I am VERY excited that my family is doing this with me! Sometimes I am stingy with my time and would rather be alone but overall I am glad we're all doing it. I want us all to be around for a long long time!
I understand about the alone time. Even when I'm on my treadmill I'm not alone since my husband isn't around and I do miss that solitude.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:53 PM   #104
momoflizandains
love "the world"

I finished w4d2 tonight. I, too, am aiming for the half in January. I loved reading all of your posts.
momoflizandains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:57 PM   #105
tinachris
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the welcome everyone and the encouragement too. I did go to the gym tonight and did my usual 40 minutes of brisk walking. I tried to figure out where I need to be to "jog" and found that a 4 on the treadmill is a little too fast for me and will be jogging at a 3.7 for now, but I felt like I was going fast!

I am looking forward to beginning the program on Tuesday, I kinda want to begin tomorrow, but I really like starting things at the beginning of a week, so I will continue to walk and gear up.

Christina
tinachris is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: