Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #976
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathymford View Post
Hi everyone! I made a rash decision in the last week: I signed up for the DL 10k. So, I've decided to start the C25K program TONIGHT. I don't consider myself completely out of shape, but stamina has always been a problem, and I've never been a runner. I used to be a dancer in high school and I was fin, but add running. Forget it. Weird, right?

Reading through some of these posts, I'm a little nervous. Even on day 1 running for 1 minute seems daunting, but I'm determined to at least give it a try. Besides, the 10k and hotel is already paid for!! Here goes nothing!

Oh, question, does anyone use the podcast and the app? Or do they do the same thing?
That's great that you signed up! It will keep you motivated

I have only used the app...I didn't even know there was a podcast. What does it include?

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #977
Kathymford
A little obsessed is ok....right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3gr8boys View Post
That's great that you signed up! It will keep you motivated

I have only used the app...I didn't even know there was a podcast. What does it include?
I'm not sure. I don't know if it's music or just talking you through it. I used the app and my own music for Day 1 today.

So I am very proud of myself for going through with W1D1. I did better and worse than I thought. It took a couple of intervals for my feet to understand I wanted them to run. LOL. Towards the end, I couldn't run for the whole minute. So I'm thinking I should re-do day 1 again until I can run it all the way through. Thoughts?
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2013, 01:08 AM   #978
RangerPooh
It's the little things that make our day
It was a nice surprise to find to find when I returned home from work

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen

If I recall correctly, EE is not a 5k. The running mileage is about 5 miles, broken up by obstacles.
There's the 5k with obstacles and then the scavenger hunt after, so its probably around 5 miles when finished.

Disneyland Wedding 6.02.2003
RangerPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:12 AM   #979
RangerPooh
It's the little things that make our day
It was a nice surprise to find to find when I returned home from work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathymford
Hi everyone!

Oh, question, does anyone use the podcast and the app? Or do they do the same thing?
I have the app on my phone and use it religiously. A girl friend if mine is following a plan she found online and the increments are completely different, and in my mind would be more discouraging to the begging runner.

Last summer when I attempted the plan for the first time I paired it with a pedometer app so that using the gps function I could track my mileage and pace.

Disneyland Wedding 6.02.2003
RangerPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #980
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathymford

I'm not sure. I don't know if it's music or just talking you through it. I used the app and my own music for Day 1 today.

So I am very proud of myself for going through with W1D1. I did better and worse than I thought. It took a couple of intervals for my feet to understand I wanted them to run. LOL. Towards the end, I couldn't run for the whole minute. So I'm thinking I should re-do day 1 again until I can run it all the way through. Thoughts?
So far I've been able to make it through the workouts, but my plan is if I can't finish one properly I will re-do it until I can before moving on. So that's what I would do if I were you.

And I am proud of you too! You are awesome for getting out there and just getting started! Every time it will get easier...just go at your own pace and don't overdo it.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Old 01-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #981
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!
I melt when I hear him talk
Eats food one item at a time and in order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiorox View Post
Yup! I am jumping on the C25K boat on Monday. (Not today.) Sadly, my plans to start eating right and working out came to a screeching halt when I contracted freakin' Chicken Pox about two weeks ago!!! 33 and with the pox, what in the he**?!

Unfortunately, this has zapped the energy out of me completely to the point that folding laundry would leave me loopy for a good three to four hours. Seriously?!

I am not completely couchy, I run a therapy office and am also a massage therapist so I have some degree of stamina. I am also an on-again, off-again workout nut. I'll get into it for a few months and then drop it for the rest of the year. Good? No, but at least I am not a novice at things.

What I am particularly not keen with is running. Even off of the couch I can hit an elliptical for 40 mins with minor issues but, running?! As much as I would love to be able to pound pavement (or other surfaces) for extended periods, it rarely works out. Thankfully I found this program that makes perfect sense - don't kill yourself - work at it!

For motivation, I entered myself into a 5K MudRun type of event in April. I am excited and scared at the same time but, too late to go back one you pay the registration fee.

Good luck to everyone else on this adventure!

Jackie
Best of luck to you starting the program! A 5K is a great motivator! I'd love to do one of those fun run types but not sure I could handle a mud one. hehe I don't like to get dirty and I think my OCD would just be driving me batty. I may look for a foam run or something else to do.

Owie! Sorry about the Chicken Pox too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerPooh View Post
This week I completed week 3 if C25K since we have snow and ice on the ground until March I'm walking/jogging in the treadmill. I'm enjoying my nightly routine and am excited about the. 2 5k I have planned this year; starting with the EEC
I seriously would LOVE to do the EE one of these years! Heck any Disney Race!

Quote:
Hi everyone! I made a rash decision in the last week: I signed up for the DL 10k. So, I've decided to start the C25K program TONIGHT. I don't consider myself completely out of shape, but stamina has always been a problem, and I've never been a runner. I used to be a dancer in high school and I was fin, but add running. Forget it. Weird, right?

Reading through some of these posts, I'm a little nervous. Even on day 1 running for 1 minute seems daunting, but I'm determined to at least give it a try. Besides, the 10k and hotel is already paid for!! Here goes nothing!

I used the C25K Pro app. It cost just like $1.99 but it allowed you to play your music and it also gave a human voice to say when to run and when to walk. I liked that better than the "tones". Now that I've finished the program I think I'm going to download the B210K one but I wont start it until maybe sometime in about a month or so.

Quote:

I would absolutely re-do until you feel comfortable. I had to do that in Week 4 I think it was.

Best of luck to all you who are just starting!!

Desiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #982
n5749w
Mouseketeer

Hey everyone!

Just checking in. I completed W2D3 today! Still not dead! Yay! Go me!

I guess I should explain the "not dead" comments. I am not a runner. You will not catch me running to the store, down the street, or even to the mailbox, I probably wouldn't run if I was being chased! I joke about being a runner all the time. It is something I have always wanted to do but I usually say that if I were a real runner it would be the death of me! I am just thrilled that I am sticking with the program. I truly enjoy it.

Jen
n5749w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:30 AM   #983
Kathymford

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5749w View Post
Hey everyone!

I guess I should explain the "not dead" comments. I am not a runner. You will not catch me running to the store, down the street, or even to the mailbox, I probably wouldn't run if I was being chased! I joke about being a runner all the time. It is something I have always wanted to do but I usually say that if I were a real runner it would be the death of me! I am just thrilled that I am sticking with the program. I truly enjoy it.

Jen
Are you my long lost twin?? I think there are a lot of us that feel that way.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:15 AM   #984
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5749w View Post
Hey everyone!

Jen
Woohoo Great job!

Old 01-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #985
MamaCrush
DIS Veteran

Great job everyone!! I started Week 3, Day 1 last night even though it was the LAST thing on earth I wanted to be doing. It kind of kicked my butt so I did slow it down just a bit-- which is scary since I don't go that fast to begin with.

If anyone is interested, I published a blog post last night about this whole training thing for the 2013 Expedition Everest Challenge. The link is below.

Did you guys see the post on the Disney Parks Blog entitled Finisihing Last is Finishing First at Disney? Absolutely inspirational!

Have a good day everyone!

DCL Western 7-Day Cruise: January 2005 ~ Pop Century: September 2006 ~ Coronoado Springs Resort: September 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs: March 2009 ~ Old Key West: August 2009 ~ Boardwalk Villas: September 2009 -Adults Only! ~ Saratoga Springs: April, 2010 ~ Saratoga Springs: September 2010 - Mickey's Halloween 5K ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Village: November/December 2010 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Village: February 2011 - Princess Royal Family 5K ~ Animal Kingdom Jambo House: May 2011 - Expedition Everest Challenge ~ Wilderness Lodge: June 2011 ~ All Star Movies: October 2011 - Kids Dancing with Disney Youth Performing Arts! ~ Saratoga Springs: January 2012 - Mommy/Daughter Birthday Trip - DD Turns 10! ~ June 2012 - Bay Lake Tower ~ September 2012 - Happy Haunted 5K Trail Run - Port Orleans Riverside ~ March 2013 - Solo Trip - Saratoga Springs ~ May 2013 - Expedition Everest Challenge with DS13 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
~ September 19-20 Solo Trip - Wilderness Lodge
MamaCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #986
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!

Something I just read on the January Challenge thread kinda brings it all home today and it is oh so true.

DisMagicLover said this "I also use the same idea when I don't feel like running. I've often regretted not running, but I don't think I've ever regretted actually getting out there and doing it. "

Old 01-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #987
MamaCrush
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiree View Post
Something I just read on the January Challenge thread kinda brings it all home today and it is oh so true.

DisMagicLover said this "I also use the same idea when I don't feel like running. I've often regretted not running, but I don't think I've ever regretted actually getting out there and doing it. "
Good stuff!

DCL Western 7-Day Cruise: January 2005 ~ Pop Century: September 2006 ~ Coronoado Springs Resort: September 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs: March 2009 ~ Old Key West: August 2009 ~ Boardwalk Villas: September 2009 -Adults Only! ~ Saratoga Springs: April, 2010 ~ Saratoga Springs: September 2010 - Mickey's Halloween 5K ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Village: November/December 2010 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Village: February 2011 - Princess Royal Family 5K ~ Animal Kingdom Jambo House: May 2011 - Expedition Everest Challenge ~ Wilderness Lodge: June 2011 ~ All Star Movies: October 2011 - Kids Dancing with Disney Youth Performing Arts! ~ Saratoga Springs: January 2012 - Mommy/Daughter Birthday Trip - DD Turns 10! ~ June 2012 - Bay Lake Tower ~ September 2012 - Happy Haunted 5K Trail Run - Port Orleans Riverside ~ March 2013 - Solo Trip - Saratoga Springs ~ May 2013 - Expedition Everest Challenge with DS13 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
~ September 19-20 Solo Trip - Wilderness Lodge
MamaCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #988
Kathymford

Hi everyone!! So I repeated day 1 and although I was slower because my legs were still sore, my cardio was much improved! I was actually surprised.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #989
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi everyone!! So I repeated day 1 and although I was slower because my legs were still sore, my cardio was much improved! I was actually surprised.
That's great about your cardio! You will improve with every run, although it's hard to believe when you are doing it! My legs got sore too, and then the other day DW (who is also doing the C25k with me) and I went to a professional running store and got fitted for running shoes. WOW! what a HUGE difference! Today was the first day I ran with my new sneakers and for the first time in the 7 weeks I've been doing this program (today was W6D3) my calves did not hurt. and I was running outside in 8 degree weather today. If you are not in properly fitted shoes, I would suggest making the investment. You will still be muscle sore from the workout, but what a difference - I went my farthest distance today. Just be sure to find a reputable running store. We were there for over 90 minutes, they watched us walk, examined our feet, let us run on the treadmill, etc.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:57 PM   #990
n5749w
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3gr8boys

That's great about your cardio! You will improve with every run, although it's hard to believe when you are doing it! My legs got sore too, and then the other day DW (who is also doing the C25k with me) and I went to a professional running store and got fitted for running shoes. WOW! what a HUGE difference! Today was the first day I ran with my new sneakers and for the first time in the 7 weeks I've been doing this program (today was W6D3) my calves did not hurt. and I was running outside in 8 degree weather today. If you are not in properly fitted shoes, I would suggest making the investment. You will still be muscle sore from the workout, but what a difference - I went my farthest distance today. Just be sure to find a reputable running store. We were there for over 90 minutes, they watched us walk, examined our feet, let us run on the treadmill, etc.
Awesome! I have read a ton of posts about specialty running stores on here. What was the name of the store you went to? I don't even know where to begin the search!

I completed W3D1 tonight! I am over the moon overjoyed with myself! I am so excited to be able to do this program. I am by no means fast but I keep telling myself, I don't have to finish first, I just have to finish.
n5749w is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: