Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2010, 10:19 PM   #886
saysay
DIS Veteran

Way to go Spike! I am on week 7 tomorrow...25 minute run, a little nervous, but I will not quit....and will take it easy so I get it done.

Disneyland - 2009 Sheraton, 2010 Candy Cane Inn, 2012 Grand Californian
WDW - 2010, 2011, 2012 Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 2011, 2012 The Swan, 2012 POFQ, 2013 POR, Sheraton Vistana, 2014 POR, CR, AKL
saysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #887
MamaCrush
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
I DID IT!!!!!! Man was that fun. The only down side was they ran out of medals about half way through. Something about shipping issues. We were told that it would be mailed to us. Kind of bummed out about that since this was my first event ever, but when I saw the looks on my wife and parents faces the bummedness quickly went away. Definatley will do this again.
HOW AWESOME! So glad it went so well for you!

DCL Western 7-Day Cruise: January 2005 ~ Pop Century: September 2006 ~ Coronoado Springs Resort: September 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs: March 2009 ~ Old Key West: August 2009 ~ Boardwalk Villas: September 2009 -Adults Only! ~ Saratoga Springs: April, 2010 ~ Saratoga Springs: September 2010 - Mickey's Halloween 5K ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Village: November/December 2010 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Village: February 2011 - Princess Royal Family 5K ~ Animal Kingdom Jambo House: May 2011 - Expedition Everest Challenge ~ Wilderness Lodge: June 2011 ~ All Star Movies: October 2011 - Kids Dancing with Disney Youth Performing Arts! ~ Saratoga Springs: January 2012 - Mommy/Daughter Birthday Trip - DD Turns 10! ~ June 2012 - Bay Lake Tower ~ September 2012 - Happy Haunted 5K Trail Run - Port Orleans Riverside ~ March 2013 - Solo Trip - Saratoga Springs ~ May 2013 - Expedition Everest Challenge with DS13 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
~ September 19-20 Solo Trip - Wilderness Lodge
MamaCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #888
cherry-pops
Mouseketeer

There's a community on LiveJournal for C25K, it's featured on the current Spotlight on the main page. It has over 1500 members!

http://community.livejournal.com/couch_to_5k/

cherry-pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #889
Spike
Mouseketeer

Since I did that 5k on Satuday I decided to take yesterday (would have been a running day) off. Start w9d1 tonight. Just need to find something to do next week..........................

Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:00 PM   #890
lolakat
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone!

Congrats on finishing the 5K Spike!

I'm doing week 4 right now. I'm still finding the 1/2 mile stretches tough but I am getting through them (which I guess it the point). Last week I thought the 1/4 mile stretch was hard and now they seem easier.

For those of you looking for something to do beyond the 5K I've heard of a few different options. There is a C210K program or you could jump into the trainng programs for the half marathon. Galloway and Marathon for Mortals both have training programs that begin when you have a 3 mile per run base distance.

My plan is to jump into the Hal Higdon or Galloway 1/2 marathon program once I finish the C25k. Otherwise I know I won't stay motivated. I plan to use run/walk intervals for the longer distances since I'll still be a new runner and I want to avoid injury.
lolakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:24 PM   #891
MamaCrush
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolakat View Post
My plan is to jump into the Hal Higdon or Galloway 1/2 marathon program once I finish the C25k. Otherwise I know I won't stay motivated. I plan to use run/walk intervals for the longer distances since I'll still be a new runner and I want to avoid injury.
I'm planning to do the same thing. I just started Week 8 with only one more to go! I run my 5K at Disney on 10/2. After that I'm going to hit the Galloway 1/2 program with the goal to do the Princess Half at the end of February. If I don't have a "carrot" in front of me, I'm sure I'll slack off!

DCL Western 7-Day Cruise: January 2005 ~ Pop Century: September 2006 ~ Coronoado Springs Resort: September 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs: March 2009 ~ Old Key West: August 2009 ~ Boardwalk Villas: September 2009 -Adults Only! ~ Saratoga Springs: April, 2010 ~ Saratoga Springs: September 2010 - Mickey's Halloween 5K ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Village: November/December 2010 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Village: February 2011 - Princess Royal Family 5K ~ Animal Kingdom Jambo House: May 2011 - Expedition Everest Challenge ~ Wilderness Lodge: June 2011 ~ All Star Movies: October 2011 - Kids Dancing with Disney Youth Performing Arts! ~ Saratoga Springs: January 2012 - Mommy/Daughter Birthday Trip - DD Turns 10! ~ June 2012 - Bay Lake Tower ~ September 2012 - Happy Haunted 5K Trail Run - Port Orleans Riverside ~ March 2013 - Solo Trip - Saratoga Springs ~ May 2013 - Expedition Everest Challenge with DS13 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
Old 09-07-2010, 05:58 PM   #892
Spike
Mouseketeer

Quote:
or you could jump into the trainng programs for the half marathon.
I think I may have made up my mind and will, gulp, start training for next years Disneyland 1/2 Marathon. Whoa, did I really just say that?

Old 09-08-2010, 03:38 PM   #893
KrazyPete
skeleton

I finished the program this morning. I'm still off the pace to run 5k inside of the 30 minute segment. I ran out the distance anyway. In the short term I'm going to keep running every other day. My first 5k is a local race at the end of this month. I'm hoping I can finish that one in under 30 minutes.

Beyond that, I'm still not sure what I'll do. A half marathon as the next step seems pretty ambitious. 13 miles is a lot more than 3.

For people who are on the fence about starting C25K; I think the first week was the worst. Running is still not fun for me, but I feel great about finishing my run for the rest of the day. For me, running has been a mind over body thing where I forced myself to finish the day's run even though my legs and lungs were telling me to STOP. I'm glad I did it so give it a shot.

Last edited by KrazyPete; 09-08-2010 at 03:43 PM.
KrazyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #894
MamaCrush
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyPete View Post
I finished the program this morning. I'm still off the pace to run 5k inside of the 30 minute segment. I ran out the distance anyway. In the short term I'm going to keep running every other day. My first 5k is a local race at the end of this month. I'm hoping I can finish that one in under 30 minutes.

Beyond that, I'm still not sure what I'll do. A half marathon as the next step seems pretty ambitious. 13 miles is a lot more than 3.

For people who are on the fence about starting C25K; I think the first week was the worst. Running is still not fun for me, but I feel great about finishing my run for the rest of the day. For me, running has been a mind over body thing where I forced myself to finish the day's run even though my legs and lungs were telling me to STOP. I'm glad I did it so give it a shot.
I'm not on pace either in Week 8. But then, I didn't expect to be at 30 min since I was so incredibly de-conditioned when I began, it would require a body transplant to even consider that kind of progress!! But as long as I can go faster than 16 min per mile for the Disney 5K on Oct 2nd, it's all good! My ultimate goal is to cross the finish line in an upright position, and a bonus will be if I do so in less than 46 mins.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:47 PM   #895
KrazyPete
skeleton

-

Last edited by KrazyPete; 09-08-2010 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Error: Where's the delete button?
KrazyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:19 AM   #896
Spike
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaCrush View Post
I'm not on pace either in Week 8. But then, I didn't expect to be at 30 min since I was so incredibly de-conditioned when I began, it would require a body transplant to even consider that kind of progress!! But as long as I can go faster than 16 min per mile for the Disney 5K on Oct 2nd, it's all good! My ultimate goal is to cross the finish line in an upright position, and a bonus will be if I do so in less than 46 mins.

Me neither. I was two minutes off of the pace at Disneyland because of the crowds and tight spaces we went through. That and it took 5 minutes to get from where were lined up to the start line with the clock running the whole time. My advise, do everything at your pace. Don't worry about the little kids and "older" people passing you on both sides. You will finish, you will have a good time doing it, and you will feel better about yourself. At least that all happened to me. Have fun on the 2nd and good luck!

Old 09-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #897
MamaCrush
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Me neither. I was two minutes off of the pace at Disneyland because of the crowds and tight spaces we went through. That and it took 5 minutes to get from where were lined up to the start line with the clock running the whole time. My advise, do everything at your pace. Don't worry about the little kids and "older" people passing you on both sides. You will finish, you will have a good time doing it, and you will feel better about yourself. At least that all happened to me. Have fun on the 2nd and good luck!
I will certainly try to learn from your experience! Thanks!

Old 09-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #898
lolakat
DIS Veteran

I start week 5 tonight. The 1/2 mile intervals are still tough for me. I see that 2 mile stretch on day 3 and I start to feel a little nervous. Hopefully I will be able to step it up!
lolakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:26 PM   #899
MamaCrush
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I start week 5 tonight. The 1/2 mile intervals are still tough for me. I see that 2 mile stretch on day 3 and I start to feel a little nervous. Hopefully I will be able to step it up!
I felt the same way. I even thought about repeating Week 4 just avoid the 2 miles! Butt week 5 was a real turning point for me. Somehow I felt like a real runner for some reason! I'm sure you'll be fine as well!

Old 09-10-2010, 07:23 PM   #900
Yunchman
Mouseketeer

Hi fellow C25k'ers I started the program this week and i am really enjoying it so far. I am a bit worried about next week because the 60 second interval does get to me near the end of the 20 minutes but I am going to just push myself and do it! It is nice to hear the success stories. I am trying to lose weight and get fit so I hope this program helps. I have been consistently working out for 3 months now, cardio at least 5 x a week, and weights at least 3 x a week, and i have definitely noticed an improvement and now my lung capacity is to the point where I think I can do the C25k! yea!

Yunchman is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: