Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2010, 04:17 PM   #376
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3TinksAndAnEeyore View Post
I figure I'll finish up Weeks 8 (28 minute runs) and Week 9 (30 minute runs) and then I'll keep increasing my running each week by 2-3 minutes until I'm actually running the entire distance of the 5K.
That's my plan too. Sometimes I really want to go faster because it almost feels easier to move at a faster speed, but I know I can't sustain it for very long.

**NEW TR** S.O.C.K. and Stitch Return to the World with a Dog
carissanboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:42 PM   #377
flipflopmom
DIS Veteran

Everyone is doing such a great job!!!!!!!

As for what I am doing, I think it is more a testament to what I WAS doing. NOTHING. No exercise other than daily life. On my off days, I make sure to do 10-15 pushups, about 100 various crunches, 15 minutes at least of cardio, usually just dance on wii, and then yoga on the wii fit. Sometimes I do other stuff on wii fit.

My eating has DRASTICALLY changed, too. Very, very little fast food. Which has been big, because I am on the road 3 nights a week taking DD to gymnastics, 45 minutes each way. No more soft drinks. ANOTHER HUGE DEAL, because I was seriously addicted and could drink a 2liter in 2 days or less. No sugar, other than an occasional Hershey's Dark Kiss.

I am trying to eat small meals more often, rather than any large meal.
flipflopmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2010, 10:15 PM   #378
::Snow_White::
Harry Potter =
They're not as unpredictable as house elves like Dobby!

Finished W6D1. It was harder than the 20 minute run, most likely because I ran 20 minutes two days ago. Hopefully it'll get easier.

Keep up the good work everyone!

First Disneyland Trip: November 2014!
'99--ASMo // '02--ASMo // '07--Pop // '10--POFQ & Pop
'12--CBR // '12--AOA & Pop // '13--POR & CSR // '13 AOA, POP, & BC
Fall 2013 Merchandise Disney College Program Cast Member!
::Snow_White:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:54 PM   #379
ezacoo
Earning My Ears

This is such an inspiring thread, it is great to read for a beginner.

I'm starting W4 on Monday, but I'm a little scared by all the comments that say it is one of the harder weeks.It might be be my first week to repeat a day.

I'm actually entered in a 5K race tomorrow, it was a last minute decision (only decided this week!). I'm planning on listening to my W3D3 podcast (I use podrunner: intervals) and following it, then seeing how I go for the remainder. Hopefully all the other runners around me will give me a huge boost of motivation!
ezacoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:26 PM   #380
3TinksAndAnEeyore
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezacoo View Post

I'm starting W4 on Monday, but I'm a little scared by all the comments that say it is one of the harder weeks.It might be be my first week to repeat a day.

I'm actually entered in a 5K race tomorrow, it was a last minute decision (only decided this week!). I'm planning on listening to my W3D3 podcast (I use podrunner: intervals) and following it, then seeing how I go for the remainder. Hopefully all the other runners around me will give me a huge boost of motivation!
Welcome to the thread!

Good luck in your 5K race tomorrow. I wish there was one right about now in Sacramento, even though I'd be pulling up in the rear. I have to wait until April for my 5K.

And, I didn't think Week 4 was all that bad, actually. Just listen to your body and go at your own breathable pace. There are quite a few people on the WISH boards who swear by John Bingham who advocates the benefits of slow but steady running. I just ordered his book, "No Need for Speed: A Beginner's Guide to the Joy of Running" and I'm really looking forward to reading it.
Upcoming: WDW POR Feb 2015; Completed: DL December '11 & '12 Daytrips, DLR Solo Trip Nov 2010 (Stovall's), DLR September 2010 (GCH), DL Feb 2010 (daytrip), DLR December 2009 (DLH), DLR January 2008 (daytrip), DLR November 2007 (daytrip), DLR October 2007 (GCH), DLR June 2004 (DLH), WDW October 2000 (VDI), Disneyland October 1996 (ES), my GradNight June 1988, DB's (now DH for 18 years!) GradNight June 1987, Band Trip (played on Main Street with DrumLine!) Spring 1987, too many Daytrips to count starting in 1970

Last edited by 3TinksAndAnEeyore; 02-26-2010 at 11:35 PM.
3TinksAndAnEeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:34 PM   #381
3TinksAndAnEeyore
DIS Veteran

This came from John Bingham's website www.johnbingham.com (he defines a penguin as someone who loves to run for the joy of running rather than for winning awards or competitions):

You might be a penguin if...
•you have to politely (for the third time) tell the men in the police car moving behind you that No you do not wish a ride.
•you wear your jog bra on top of your singlet. This is especially true if you are male.
•during a race, you keep turning around to see if there is still anybody behind you.
•the rest of the pack is out of sight before you've run 100 yards.
•you meet both the hare AND the tortoise running back towards you doing their cool-down after a race.
•the only reason you don't drop out of a race is that you're embarrassed that the police in the car behind you (closing the course) will see you.
•as you're rounding the corner onto Main Street and the finish line, you overhear the announcer on a microphone to the crowd of 500 saying "we are ASSURED the young lady IS coming in!" (Oh well, at least I was young).
•you recognize all the regular runners on your favorite route from behind.
•you get passed on the uphill by a runner pushing a double baby jog stroller.
•you shoot a 24-shot roll of film during a marathon.
•you make arrangements for a late checkout at the hotel.
•you are more worried about the porta-potty lines than the start line.
•your support crew talks about meeting you for supper, not lunch.
•you have to memorize the route because you know that you will lose the back of the pack.
•the truck picking up the cones is pressing on your behind. (Don't laugh—this actually happened to me!)
•as you pass a course volunteer they ask you, "How many are behind you yet?" and you say "Behind me? Behind? Gosh ... I think two ... Unless they turned around!"
•the awards ceremony is over before you cross the finish line.
Upcoming: WDW POR Feb 2015; Completed: DL December '11 & '12 Daytrips, DLR Solo Trip Nov 2010 (Stovall's), DLR September 2010 (GCH), DL Feb 2010 (daytrip), DLR December 2009 (DLH), DLR January 2008 (daytrip), DLR November 2007 (daytrip), DLR October 2007 (GCH), DLR June 2004 (DLH), WDW October 2000 (VDI), Disneyland October 1996 (ES), my GradNight June 1988, DB's (now DH for 18 years!) GradNight June 1987, Band Trip (played on Main Street with DrumLine!) Spring 1987, too many Daytrips to count starting in 1970
3TinksAndAnEeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:26 AM   #382
ezacoo
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3TinksAndAnEeyore View Post
Welcome to the thread!

Good luck in your 5K race tomorrow. I wish there was one right about now in Sacramento, even though I'd be pulling up in the rear. I have to wait until April for my 5K.

And, I didn't think Week 4 was all that bad, actually. Just listen to your body and go at your own breathable pace. There are quite a few people on the WISH boards who swear by John Bingham who advocates the benefits of slow but steady running. I just ordered his book, "No Need for Speed: A Beginner's Guide to the Joy of Running" and I'm really looking forward to reading it.
Thanks, hopefully it's not as bad as I'm imagining! I already run pretty slowly, I took DH with me on W3D2 just to prove that I could run for 3 minutes (which is huge for me!) and I don't even think he was sweating! I'm just trying to be able to run the allocated times - I can get faster later.
ezacoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:00 AM   #383
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezacoo View Post

Where in Australia are you? I lived in Alice Springs for 3 years. Loved Australia! Great country and great people.

Sometimes I get nervous or worried about doing a certain week or day and then I remember that the program is just a guide. All I can do is my best and keep plugging away until I can get through each day. It's not a race to reach the end. You can do it.

Good luck in your 5K!

Old 02-27-2010, 09:19 AM   #384
IWISHFORDISNEY
Cant get enough of the mouse!
It was tricky with only one bathroom
I will never ever forget that embarrassing episode of being farted upon

Location: The First State but wishing it was the Sunshine State...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::Snow_White:: View Post
Finished W6D1. It was harder than the 20 minute run, most likely because I ran 20 minutes two days ago. Hopefully it'll get easier.

Keep up the good work everyone!
That happened to me too. Day 2 was a little better. Then Day 3 was hard but doable. Dont let it scare you like it did me. Hang in there.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:23 AM   #385
IWISHFORDISNEY

W7D1 in the books!! It was hard but easier than going back to intervals for some reason. I just keep pushing and I am doing it. After I gradute the program I am getting new shoes as my reward. Whoot!

Old 02-27-2010, 09:27 AM   #386
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWISHFORDISNEY View Post
W7D1 in the books!! It was hard but easier than going back to intervals for some reason. I just keep pushing and I am doing it. After I gradute the program I am getting new shoes as my reward. Whoot!
Awesome!

I'm supposed to run today and have tomorrow as a rest day, but I'm switching them around.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:46 AM   #387
flipflopmom
DIS Veteran

Holy cow W4D1 is TOUGH!!!!! I added about 5 mins to my cool down, because I had walked to the park, and it is alllll uphill! I did a 1/2 mile in the first 5 minute run... Didn't realize I was going that fast. I probably only did 1/4 mile the last 5 minute run. Did NOT give up, but I sooooooooooo wanted to! Keep me up, b/c I am now feeling that I will NEVER get any farther than this!!!
flipflopmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #388
IWISHFORDISNEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflopmom View Post
Holy cow W4D1 is TOUGH!!!!! I added about 5 mins to my cool down, because I had walked to the park, and it is alllll uphill! I did a 1/2 mile in the first 5 minute run... Didn't realize I was going that fast. I probably only did 1/4 mile the last 5 minute run. Did NOT give up, but I sooooooooooo wanted to! Keep me up, b/c I am now feeling that I will NEVER get any farther than this!!!
I felt something change with my breathing by the last day of week 4. That was always my problem the breathing. I think the 5min gives the body time to adjust to prolonged jogging/running; after that happened it was much easier. You will notice it happen. Trust me I am not a runner by any means but it does change and become doable by the end of this week. Hang in there. My distance is getting worse for some reason or another but I can make it 25min without stopping. I will work on speed later. I really think this is the best approach. Just make it through the time intervals dont worry about speed or distance.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #389
pittsburghmarc
DIS Veteran

Did the 20 minutes!!

Over the hump! W5D3 completed this morning. With one modification...until now I was running on 5.0 on the treadmill. Today I lowered it to 4.5 and it was fairly easy! I figure completing the run on 4.5 would be better than having to stop at 16 minutes on 5.0. My 20 minute jog ended up being exactly 1.5 miles. And I probably could have done at least another 5 minutes.

I also decided to listen to the podcast rather than music. I was able to get fairly lost in the podcast discussion and that helped.

Well two days off. Thanks to everyone on the thread. It's great to keep up with everyone's progress. My goal is my community 5K which takes place in May. At least for today it's looking pretty good
Old 02-27-2010, 12:16 PM   #390
pittsburghmarc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflopmom View Post
Way to go! I just finished week 5 and yes, week 4 and 5 were big steps for me too. But I'm keeping up. A half-mile in 5 minutes is fast for those of us just starting out. I think if you follow the program, a 10 minute mile is the goal after week 9! Keep up the good work!

Last edited by pittsburghmarc; 02-27-2010 at 12:17 PM. Reason: spelling
pittsburghmarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: