Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2010, 01:45 PM   #361
pittsburghmarc
DIS Veteran

Completed W5D2! But that's not why I'm posting...I just realized there are three speeds on C25K! Walk, run and JOG! I never paid attention.

I've been walking at 3.1 and run/jogging at 5.0 all the time. Is everyone else using 3 speeds and if so what are they?
Old 02-26-2010, 01:51 PM   #362
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghmarc View Post
Completed W5D2! But that's not why I'm posting...I just realized there are three speeds on C25K! Walk, run and JOG! I never paid attention.

I've been walking at 3.1 and run/jogging at 5.0 all the time. Is everyone else using 3 speeds and if so what are they?
Hmmmmm. Not sure what you mean? The program itself only uses the words walk and jog. I walk at 3.3 - 3.5 and jog at 4.0 - 4.3 depending on how long the intervals are.

But, I just use the word run to refer to my jogging since most people use run to encompass jogging too.

**NEW TR** S.O.C.K. and Stitch Return to the World with a Dog
carissanboys is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2010, 01:57 PM   #363
pittsburghmarc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carissanboys View Post
Hmmmmm. Not sure what you mean? The program itself only uses the words walk and jog. I walk at 3.3 - 3.5 and jog at 4.0 - 4.3 depending on how long the intervals are.

But, I just use the word run to refer to my jogging since most people use run to encompass jogging too.
I use the iPhone app. For example, all days in week 4 say walk or run, but all the days in week 5 say walk or jog.

Maybe I'm just being too literal.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:02 PM   #364
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I use the iPhone app. For example, all days in week 4 say walk or run, but all the days in week 5 say walk or jog.

Maybe I'm just being too literal.
The website just uses the word jog.

C25K

I'd say the app just went back and forth between the two without meaning for you to actually increase your speed. If you're comfortable at 5.0, then I say stick with that.

Congrats on W5D2!! Were you able to run both 8 minute intervals?

Old 02-26-2010, 02:04 PM   #365
pittsburghmarc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The website just uses the word jog.

C25K

I'd say the app just went back and forth between the two without meaning for you to actually increase your speed. If you're comfortable at 5.0, then I say stick with that.

Congrats on W5D2!! Were you able to run both 8 minute intervals?
Yes, barely. 20 minutes next seems crazy, but we'll see. It would be nice to run outside, this weather stinks.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:06 PM   #366
rgrutland
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmettocharm View Post
[I]I am also turning 40 next year, and it is the same weekend as the Princess Half Marathon. So I am going to celebrate my birthday by completing that marathon! I have a 10K coming up in March of this year, and I'm hoping to do a couple more races before the Princess Half so I'll know what to expect and how I'll do. I am also reading Marathoning for Mortals by John Bingham. It's a great book for new runners, especially those planning on doing half or full marathons.
Congratulations on signing up for and commiting to 2 large runs!! I will LOVE to hear how your 10k goes in March. I am thinking the same thing - starting with a 5k, then a 10k, and then the 1/2!
I think the theming & medals from the Princess 1/2 are so cute which is the main reason why I want to run it, but I also think the weather should be good for you. I might have to bite the bullet and do that one instead of the one in January. Just have to make sure I can swing it with my work schedule.

I was curious to ask you how you like the Nike + system. I was looking at it last night on Amazon. Can you program it so it beeps or alerts you of when you need to change your interval? Or do you primarily use it to see how you are pacing, distances, etc? Do you know how it's different than a Garmin? Right now I am training on a TM so I don't need to technology yet, but I will soon and it would be nice to not have to watch the clock to then adjust the speed...
December 2008 -YC- w/DD4 & her BFF4 and mom
May 2007 -GF- w/DH, DS5, DD3
rgrutland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:10 PM   #367
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, barely. 20 minutes next seems crazy, but we'll see. It would be nice to run outside, this weather stinks.
Yes, 20 minutes definitely seems a bit nuts. But, I'm starting to think it might be doable. The hardest part for me is doing a long run after I've already done one. I had no issues with the first 8 minute interval, but stopping and starting up again was hard. So, if I just keep running without stopping, I might be able to make it.

Are you going for it Saturday? I won't be attempting it until Tuesday.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:22 PM   #368
PeterPan09
bury my iPod with me, on shuffle, with headphones in my ears

Quote:
Yes, 20 minutes definitely seems a bit nuts. But, I'm starting to think it might be doable. The hardest part for me is doing a long run after I've already done one. I had no issues with the first 8 minute interval, but stopping and starting up again was hard. So, if I just keep running without stopping, I might be able to make it.

I did the first day fine...but I'm not sure about day 2 and three!! I'm glad to read that you did well with it.

I'm giving myself a break because of the 5k this weekend, so I probably won't even attempt W5D2 until next week sometime.
PeterPan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:29 PM   #369
pittsburghmarc
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Saturday for me.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:47 PM   #370
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPan09 View Post
I did the first day fine...but I'm not sure about day 2 and three!! I'm glad to read that you did well with it.

I'm giving myself a break because of the 5k this weekend, so I probably won't even attempt W5D2 until next week sometime.
I don't know that I did well with it since I couldn't complete the second 8 minute run, but it was okay. I'm going to repeat day 2 on Saturday.

When I did the virtual 5K, I just used that as one of my run workouts and continued with the program on my next scheduled run day.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:50 PM   #371
flipflopmom
DIS Veteran

Just had to jump in and say I've lost 16 pounds in the last month!!! I'm sooooo excited!!!!!!1

I knew you guys would listen. Today was 1 month since my starting date, started c25k 1 week later. Week 4 starts tomorrow, with a new intensity to keep it up!!!
flipflopmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #372
PeterPan09
bury my iPod with me, on shuffle, with headphones in my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflopmom View Post
Just had to jump in and say I've lost 16 pounds in the last month!!! I'm sooooo excited!!!!!!1

I knew you guys would listen. Today was 1 month since my starting date, started c25k 1 week later. Week 4 starts tomorrow, with a new intensity to keep it up!!!

That is amazing!!!
PeterPan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:55 PM   #373
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Wow! That's awesome. Would you mind sharing what you're doing besides this program (apologies if you've already stated somewhere)?

Old 02-26-2010, 03:52 PM   #374
rgrutland
Mouseketeer

Quote:

CONGRATULATIONS on the 16 pounds!!!!!!!!!!! That is awesome! I would also be curious to know what else you are doing beside the running program? Are you eating differently? And if so, how? And also what are you doing on your off days?

Keep up the GREAT work!!!
December 2008 -YC- w/DD4 & her BFF4 and mom
May 2007 -GF- w/DH, DS5, DD3
rgrutland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:08 PM   #375
3TinksAndAnEeyore
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
The 20 minutes really wasn't that bad. Like carissa writes, it's almost like your body gets into a groove and then it's easier to keep going. I'm just did W7D3 and the 25 minute run even seems easier. Of course, I'm going at the pace that is comfortable for me. Don't forget the recommendation from the C25K program that you run at a comfortable enough pace that you can hold a conversation.

Do I wish I was a little faster? You betcha! I'm running just over a fifteen minute mile right now, but hopefully that will improve over time. I figure I'll finish up Weeks 8 (28 minute runs) and Week 9 (30 minute runs) and then I'll keep increasing my running each week by 2-3 minutes until I'm actually running the entire distance of the 5K. I just got a new iPhone 3GS and am using a really fun program that logs my runs on a map and tells me what my pace and distance are at any given time!

Quote:

Upcoming: WDW POR Feb 2015; Completed: DL December '11 & '12 Daytrips, DLR Solo Trip Nov 2010 (Stovall's), DLR September 2010 (GCH), DL Feb 2010 (daytrip), DLR December 2009 (DLH), DLR January 2008 (daytrip), DLR November 2007 (daytrip), DLR October 2007 (GCH), DLR June 2004 (DLH), WDW October 2000 (VDI), Disneyland October 1996 (ES), my GradNight June 1988, DB's (now DH for 18 years!) GradNight June 1987, Band Trip (played on Main Street with DrumLine!) Spring 1987, too many Daytrips to count starting in 1970
3TinksAndAnEeyore is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: