Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #16
IWISHFORDISNEY
Cant get enough of the mouse!
It was tricky with only one bathroom
I will never ever forget that embarrassing episode of being farted upon

Location: The First State but wishing it was the Sunshine State...

I was going to start the program on Feb 1st also. I was giving myself the month of January to walk every day to ramp up for it. So count me in the Feb 1st starting group!!!

Old 01-18-2010, 07:49 AM   #17
PeterPan09
bury my iPod with me, on shuffle, with headphones in my ears

I started Day 1 Week 1 this morning. I liked the podcast method a lot!! He puts the warm-up and the cool-down on there too and keeps encouraging you all the way.
PeterPan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2010, 09:03 AM   #18
jennz
DIS Veteran

I am going to check out that podcast when I get home. Is it free on itunes? Is it just called c25K?

How was everyone's first days/weeks? I am kind of ready to start but kind of afraid too - that I won't be able to breathe, that I'll hurt myself...! But my family is doing it with me so I'm committed - actually I'd rather do it alone, but they are with me.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:06 AM   #19
amarberry
DIS Veteran

I did week 4, day 1 yesterday. I had to run for 5 minutes straight (twice) and I was amazed that I felt fine.

Good luck everyone else as you start!
amarberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:34 PM   #20
james'mommy
I've always been a green stripe kinda girl
I love you Sweatpea

I just started Day 1 today. I didn't run as much as I was supposed to but I tried. Where do I find these podcasts?
james'mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:53 PM   #21
PeterPan09
bury my iPod with me, on shuffle, with headphones in my ears

You can find the one I'm using on iTunes. I just searched Couch to 5k and it brought it right up. For the more technologically advanced folks that have iPhones, "there's an app for that" as well.
PeterPan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:12 PM   #22
MaryJ
Believes in Tag Gremlins, not Tag Fairies
Has unstinky Crocs

I tried doing C25K last fall, made it up to week 4, then got really sick (and really scared about week 4) and quit. Just did my own running program from there (walk 3, run 2) and finished the WDW half marathon earlier this month. But, I would like to work up to being able to run for longer periods. I'm in my 50's and my knees are the greatest, but running for longer stretches is my new goal. I started back with week 3 today. It was tough, but I managed.

Here is another C25K podcast that some of you may be interested in:

http://www.buriedtalentsband.com/C25K/
Old 01-18-2010, 05:19 PM   #23
ZOOMAMA
"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford

Yesterday DH says,"let's go for a bike ride." I (naively) agreed. Fifteen miles later I was no longer naive (I was a hurtin' puppy) and I no longer agreed. Needless to say, I was not feeling Week 7 Day 1's 25 minute run this morning. My running partner, for reasons of her own, wasn't feeling it either BUT since neither of us wanted to be the punk butt who admitted it- we ran. I STRUGGLED the whole way but I DID IT! I had so many conversations with myself during that run that I was beginning to feel like Sally Fields in Sybil. The funny thing is I can remember telling DH way back when that I ran 5 minutes and I struggled the whole way but I did it. C25K rocks!a

Tess
ZOOMAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:01 PM   #24
J3nn78
DIS Veteran

I just recently finished the C25K. I LOVED it. When I started in November, those 1 minute running stretches were killer. Now I can comfortably run for 40 plus minutes. I am aiming for the WDW Marathon next year.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:35 AM   #25
IWISHFORDISNEY
Cant get enough of the mouse!
It was tricky with only one bathroom
I will never ever forget that embarrassing episode of being farted upon

Location: The First State but wishing it was the Sunshine State...

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3nn78 View Post
I just recently finished the C25K. I LOVED it. When I started in November, those 1 minute running stretches were killer. Now I can comfortably run for 40 plus minutes. I am aiming for the WDW Marathon next year.
Well I am glad you posted this. I gave it a trial run today and one min was killing me by the fourth cycle of running. Wow I am bad. Can you stay at a week of the program if you dont feel ready to progress?

Old 01-19-2010, 11:44 AM   #26
fairestoneofall
DIS Veteran

i finished this program at the end of december. it's a great program. i now run four miles every other day. i'm adding in an extra day of running right now, so i'll have two days in a row and then every other day.

if you would've told me that i'd be running four miles at a time, i never would've believed you. but i do feel better. and i'll be honest and say that i don't always feel like getting out there, but i ALWAYS feel better when i'm done.

*DL Dumbo Double Dare-August 2014*POR January 2014*POP-October 2013*CR-December 2011--DD's 10th birthday trip!*POP-June 2010*Ft. Wilderness Cabin-September 2009*CSR/GF-Thanksgiving 2008*Caribbean Beach-August 2007: 10th Anniversary Trip*Shades of Green-November 2006*Port Orleans/All Star Movies-February 2005*yearly growing up, but never on site (generally the Knights Inn)
fairestoneofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:42 PM   #27
willonlyflytodisney
Mouseketeer

I'm so happy I started this thread!!!

I knew there were other people interested!

I just started W1D1 this morning and man it felt good!

I mean, afterwards hahah
During - not so much

Can I just ask - what do girls with umm... let's say... "thunder thighs" do about chaffing?

Let me know because that was not fun today.

Also - who runs on a treadmill vs. outside? - just curious because I am aiming to run a 5K in April and want to know when I should make the plunge into the cold weather and run outside.

Let me know!

Keep up the great work guys!

1993 - Contemporary Hotel 2008 - Pop Century 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 - Pop Century 2012 - All Star Movies
Fall 2012 - Vacation Planning CM
willonlyflytodisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:11 PM   #28
jenn-
DIS Veteran

I am going to start this today. I went out and bought me some new shoes and clothing yesterday. I got some tight running pants to prevent the chaffing I knew I would face. I fully intend to wear them under another pair until I start to feel more like a runner.

jenn- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:12 PM   #29
ZOOMAMA
"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford

IWISHFORDISNEY- When I began the program in September there were several weeks that I repeated because I didn't feel ready to move on to the next set of more challenging intervals. That is a great aspect of C25K, adaptability. I'd have to go back through my running journals but I know that I repeated at least one whole week and there were many times that I repeated Week Whatever Day Whatever until I ran the whole "running" segment per the program. It took me three tries to run Week 5 Day 3 (20 min.) without walking which is when I truly realized how mental running is. I could probably have ran 20 minutes the first time but mentally I gave up or found an excuse. It was enlightening to realize that mentally I wasn't as tough as I had imagined. Now when I run, I feel like I am conditioning my body and mind. Wow, that sounds cheesy! Anyway, I think that repeating weeks or days that are really challenging is a good idea. Don't push too hard, too fast because, as we all know, that is the best way to burn out and quit all together. The flip side of that is to not get too comfy at any one week or day. In order to improve we have to push outside of our comfort zones.

willonlyflytodisney- I am a big fan of knee pants, capris, running pants and body glide! It was still hot in the desert when I started the program and I learned early on that shorts were a no-no for me. I find it difficult to run when my shorts are lodged in my esophagus! And really no one else on the trail wants to see that either!
I run outside because we have wonderful trails in our neighborhood. On really cold days I always under dress by one layer than the weather calls for because once I start moving I warm up really quickly.

I may not go fast, I may not go far, but I GO!

Tess

Last edited by ZOOMAMA; 01-19-2010 at 02:18 PM. Reason: adding thoughts
ZOOMAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #30
jenn-
DIS Veteran

I made it through day 1! I even managed to run through all 60 second intervals. I openly admit to yelling at the podcast when he told me I had to run again about the 5th time on. I am sure I am going to be feeling this in the morning.

jenn- is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: