Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #151
jennz
DIS Veteran

I totally understand your frustration! I have pf and here are some things that help me: naproxen! stretch stretch stretch...tight calves and achilles can make it worse, so stretch several times/day. Also stretch your quads and hamstrings - it all helps a lot! Ice your foot, you can freeze some water in a bottle and roll your foot on it. Wear shoes with arches at all times!!

Tomorrow is an off day anyway right? Hopefully it'll feel better after a day off...
Old 02-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #152
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by insoin View Post
OK just dropping in real quick to say hi. I finished W2D2 today. But the real story is last night my foot started hurting a bit, not bad but tender right infront of my heel. So today I feel a bit tender but still good, and I didn't think about it and when I ran, I didn't even feel it.

I go to work and it starts to get a bit more sore. So I ask a lady at work, who used to be a high school health teacher/golf coach if she had ever heard of what might cause it to be sore. She said it may be Plantar fasciitis. I also asked my UPS driver who runs marathons. He said it could be...

I wanted to cry, why does it feel like my body is fighting me on trying to get healthy? I set a goal, and it just seems like my body is saying no. So now I have to figure out what to do about it. I'm taking tomorrow off totally to let it rest a day and see how it feels on Friday.

OH well I'm not sure what to do exactly right now. But I am gonna watch it for a couple of days. My UPS driver said to slow my pace down and perhaps take some time off if I need to. But I'm just not sure. I have a goal, and I wanna do this...but man what is going on with me.....

Sorry for being a downer right now but I just needed to vent for a bit....
Scott
Do you have a really good pair of running shoes? What about inserts for extra cushion? I had PF a couple of years back and I know how painful it is. If you don't take care of the problem, it will only get worse. Mine peaked when I wore my crocs to WDW on our first trip. I vowed never to do that again! Only my good sneakers for park touring.

A good calf stretch is really important too. For me, it was a combination of switching to a good shoe, inserts, stretching, and rest. I have no problems with it anymore and hopefully it'll stay that way!

**NEW TR** S.O.C.K. and Stitch Return to the World with a Dog
carissanboys is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2010, 08:20 PM   #153
insoin

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennz View Post
I totally understand your frustration! I have pf and here are some things that help me: naproxen! stretch stretch stretch...tight calves and achilles can make it worse, so stretch several times/day. Also stretch your quads and hamstrings - it all helps a lot! Ice your foot, you can freeze some water in a bottle and roll your foot on it. Wear shoes with arches at all times!!

Tomorrow is an off day anyway right? Hopefully it'll feel better after a day off...
Quote:
Originally Posted by carissanboys View Post
Do you have a really good pair of running shoes? What about inserts for extra cushion? I had PF a couple of years back and I know how painful it is. If you don't take care of the problem, it will only get worse. Mine peaked when I wore my crocs to WDW on our first trip. I vowed never to do that again! Only my good sneakers for park touring.

A good calf stretch is really important too. For me, it was a combination of switching to a good shoe, inserts, stretching, and rest. I have no problems with it anymore and hopefully it'll stay that way!
Thanks for the suggestions. I went to a running store and got fitted for shoes, and inserts. So I would guess they are good shoes, or at least I thought they were. I will try the ice thing on the foot and see how that works. I have been streatching every day, and really work my calf muscles cause those were always sore. I will try more of it and see how it goes. Just fustrated so thanks for letting me vent....
Old 02-03-2010, 08:24 PM   #154
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I went to a running store and got fitted for shoes, and inserts. So I would guess they are good shoes, or at least I thought they were. I will try the ice thing on the foot and see how that works. I have been streatching every day, and really work my calf muscles cause those were always sore. I will try more of it and see how it goes. Just fustrated so thanks for letting me vent....
We're always here to listen. It's frustrating to want something so badly and be so motivated to get there, and then have something come up and try to delay us. You will get through this!

Old 02-03-2010, 11:26 PM   #155
willonlyflytodisney
Mouseketeer

Thursday, February 4th

Thursday February, 4th

Question of the day: If you could choose a park to use as your own personal place to run (without anyone else), which park would it be?

REMEMBER:
Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.
-William Shakespeare

CURRENT STATS:

Week 1
ChrisAlli
DisneyBoundinDec
Forthemedal

Week 2
insoin
carrisanboys
palmettocharm
IWISHFORDISNEY

Week 3
willonlyflytodisney
PeterPan09

Week 4
3TinksAndAnEeyore

Week 5

Week 6

Week 7

Week 8

Week 9

Completed
ZOOMAMA

Please let me know if you are not on this list and want to be!

1993 - Contemporary Hotel 2008 - Pop Century 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 - Pop Century 2012 - All Star Movies
Fall 2012 - Vacation Planning CM
willonlyflytodisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:28 PM   #156
willonlyflytodisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Just fustrated so thanks for letting me vent....
Insoin, you can always vent here. This is a safe place. The road to a healthier you is gonna be bumpy, which is why communities like this form to help.

It's important to remember that what can seem like a huge bump now may only really be a little one. Try not to stress about it because whatever happens, you'll make it work.

1993 - Contemporary Hotel 2008 - Pop Century 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 - Pop Century 2012 - All Star Movies
Old 02-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #157
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by willonlyflytodisney View Post
Thursday February, 4th

Question of the day: If you could choose a park to use as your own personal place to run (without anyone else), which park would it be?
Great quote!

I would pick Epcot. That was an easy decision for me. It's one of my favorite parks and running around the World Showcase would be wonderful.

I repeated week two again today. My thighs and behind were super sore from a workout I did yesterday (The Biggest Loser on the wii). Bob had me doing tons of squats.

Anyway, the run went pretty well. My only issue is my lungs and being able to catch my breath during the recoup times. I think I may go ahead and try week 3 on Saturday.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:25 AM   #158
ZOOMAMA
"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford

WILLONLYFLYTODISNEY- I love the status tracker! Great idea, love the motivational smilies!

Carissa- the recoup time does get better. It is another benchmark of your improving fitness. The runs might not seem easier but you won't still be trying to catch your breath when the next run segment rolls around.

Tess
ZOOMAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:33 PM   #159
DisneyBoundinDec
DIS Veteran

Hello everyone.. did week 2 day 1 yesterday with a snazzy new pair of sneakers and its funny how that extra 30 seconds effect you! I made it though.. and thats all that matters! and...EEEEEKKKKK I went ahead and registered for the 1/2 in 2011!!!

so, what do you run to? what is your favorite "running" song. Right now I use the couch25k iphone app and I can put music to it instead of listening to the man in the podcast.. anyone have any good songs they can suggest?

insoin.. I hope you start to feel better and vent away all you want!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOMAMA View Post
Cue Pomp and Circumstance- CUZ I'M DONE! I DID IT! W9D3 FINISHED!
Tess
congrats!! congrats!! congrats! that is awesome!

Quote:
CONGRATS ZOOMAMA!!

Wednesday, Feb 3rd, 2010
Question of the day: If you could pick one Disney character to run in front of you as your inspiration and give you a great big hug when you finished (no matter how sweaty you were ), who would it be?
I would say Mickey.. to me.. he is Disney.

Current Stats: Week 2 day 2

Quote:
Thursday February, 4th

Please let me know if you are not on this list and want to be!
The Magic Kingdom!

me please...
week 2 day 2!
thanks!
DisneyBoundinDec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:47 PM   #160
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOMAMA View Post
Carissa- the recoup time does get better. It is another benchmark of your improving fitness. The runs might not seem easier but you won't still be trying to catch your breath when the next run segment rolls around.
I hope so!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBoundinDec View Post
Hello everyone.. did week 2 day 1 yesterday with a snazzy new pair of sneakers and its funny how that extra 30 seconds effect you! I made it though.. and thats all that matters! and...EEEEEKKKKK I went ahead and registered for the 1/2 in 2011!!!
Woohoo!! We have so many of us doing the half next year!

Quote:
so, what do you run to? what is your favorite "running" song. Right now I use the couch25k iphone app and I can put music to it instead of listening to the man in the podcast.. anyone have any good songs they can suggest?
Unfortunately, I don't have an iPhone. I have a Samsung Mythic. It was a lot cheaper, but I'm really wishing right now I'd gone with the iPhone! I heard about that app and think it's so cool. I run to Ullrey's C25K podcast right now. I did get pointed to a link that has some alternate podcasts for the program that are more hip hop/dance music. It's not really my style of music, but I may use them at some point for something different. If anyone wants the link, PM me.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:33 PM   #161
PeterPan09
bury my iPod with me, on shuffle, with headphones in my ears

Quote:
OK just dropping in real quick to say hi. I finished W2D2 today. But the real story is last night my foot started hurting a bit, not bad but tender right infront of my heel. So today I feel a bit tender but still good, and I didn't think about it and when I ran, I didn't even feel it.

I go to work and it starts to get a bit more sore. So I ask a lady at work, who used to be a high school health teacher/golf coach if she had ever heard of what might cause it to be sore. She said it may be Plantar fasciitis. I also asked my UPS driver who runs marathons. He said it could be...

I wanted to cry, why does it feel like my body is fighting me on trying to get healthy? I set a goal, and it just seems like my body is saying no. So now I have to figure out what to do about it. I'm taking tomorrow off totally to let it rest a day and see how it feels on Friday.

OH well I'm not sure what to do exactly right now. But I am gonna watch it for a couple of days. My UPS driver said to slow my pace down and perhaps take some time off if I need to. But I'm just not sure. I have a goal, and I wanna do this...but man what is going on with me.....

Sorry for being a downer right now but I just needed to vent for a bit....
Scott
I feel your pain...nearly literally. Last year I started this plan, and decided that I was ready to do more-and my left foot wasn't. I had a stress fracture which sidelined me completely for 2 months. I was furious with myself for going overboard and frustrated to have failed in achieving my goal.

SO, this time I'm being a lot more careful. If I feel pain, especially on an off running day, I pay attention to it. If it means I skip a day or two, and slow down the progress so be it. I'd rather get to the end of the program later then never get there at all because I keep doing too much and getting hurt.

Take today for example. I was all ready to get up at 4:30, head to the gym and hit the treadmill for W3D2. Well, apparently God had other ideas. The alarm never went off and I didn't get up until 6 am!!! I checked it, and I had done everything right to set it-even tested it and it worked fine so I've got to chalk this one up to divine intervention. My legs and foot were sore after starting week three on Tuesday, so maybe more rest was what I really needed. If I need to take 2 days in between to finish strong, so be it.

This program is designed to get us running, but there's no law that says everyone has to do it the same way. We need to do what gets us there whole, and that's going to be different for everyone.
PeterPan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:24 PM   #162
ChrisAlli
DIS Veteran

If you could choose a park to use as your own personal place to run (without anyone else), which park would it be?

I would say MK....just being able to run past the castle would be awsome...

I just finished W1 D2 and I felt good. I'm trying to not look at the weeks ahead I don't want to get ahead of myself or syc myself out. One day at a time...
Old 02-04-2010, 11:02 PM   #163
willonlyflytodisney
Mouseketeer

Friday February, 5th

Question of the day: What is your inspiration for running?

REMEMBER:
We learn wisdom from failure much more than success. We often discover what we will do, by finding out what we will not do.
Samuel Smiles

CURRENT STATS:

Week 1
ChrisAlli
Forthemedal

Week 2
insoin
DisneyBoundinDec
carrisanboys
palmettocharm
IWISHFORDISNEY

Week 3
willonlyflytodisney
PeterPan09

Week 4
3TinksAndAnEeyore

Week 5

Week 6

Week 7

Week 8

Week 9

Completed
ZOOMAMA

My answer for the question of the day is finishing what I've started. I often start a new year with a goal for weight loss and I get so happy with the results that I forget that I still need to work on it! So, this is the first time I've hit February and kept up with it. Running really helps me stay on track. I may not have time to exercise the days that I don't run, but I make it work. So, my motivation to get up is that until I finish the 5K, I will not be satisfied. And by the time I get started, I don't know about you guys, but I feel really good running now. It's a challenge, but it still feels good.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:34 AM   #164
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Friday February, 5th

Question of the day: What is your inspiration for running?
Right now, my inspiration/motivation is running the half marathon in January. I'm so glad I went ahead and registered right away so that I'd really know I was committed to this. Otherwise, I might have just given up at some point. I know if I don't train, there is no way I can do the half. And seeing results in my body is a big inspiration too.

Can you put me on week 3 when you post tomorrow's list? Thanks!

Old 02-05-2010, 08:04 AM   #165
palmettocharm
Mouseketeer

"What is your inspiration for running?"

Mine is to participate in the Princess Half Marathon in 2011. It will be around my 40th birthday, and I can't imagine a better way to celebrate!

Another goal is to get into better shape. I can tell a difference already in the few weeks I've been working on the C25K program. I still may have to repeat a few more weeks as I go, but I am already noticing changes in my body, and that is inspiration itself!

palmettocharm is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: